Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LIVE TR: Les Coches 18th to 25th December 2021 - ABORT ABORT ABORT

Poster: A snowHead
This will be our 23rd family trip after:

March 2009 - Les Menuire (3V)
December 2009 - Aime La Plagne (Paradiski) - snowmaggedon on the outward journey
April 2010 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
December 2010 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
April 2011 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2011 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2012 - La Norma
December 2012 - Les Contamines
April 2013 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2013 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
April 2014 - MISSED - OMG!!
December 2014 - Tignes Le Lac - snowmaggedon on the return journey
April 2015 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2015 - Montchavin (Paradiski)
April 2016 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2016 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2017 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
December 2017 - La Tania (3V)
March 2018 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2018 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2019 - Les Menuires (3V)
December 2019 - Les Coches (Paradiski)

As you can see above we've been regular Chrstmas and Spring break skiers for the last decade until the dreaded pandemic struck. All have been driving, S/C and DIY. Kids are now 14 and 16, almost grown ups! It's been weird going a full winter without skiing but I guess we'll all appreciate it a bit more.

Before the pandemic I was starting to ponder on changing routine or mebbe going somewhere completely different without actually carrying anything through for various reasons. And now doesn't feel like the time to do anything like that either. So, we've kept it simple and going back to Les Coches once more - our 10th time as a family and where we did our last two Christmas trips.

Booked the tunnel crossing on 2nd October - cost was £114 to travel out 21-20 on Friday evening and £94 to return on the 07-20 on Wednesday morning. We will drive the through the night both ways. We are returning on Wednesday morning because after skiing on the second Saturday we are driving to southern Germany for 3 days with the in-laws. Most of the £208 was paid for with a voucher held over from the cancelled trips last winter which in turn came mostly from Tesco Clubcard vouchers. The Eurotunnel service was excellent again as I couldn't find any email with the voucher number but when I called they were able to easily retrieve it using the booking reference from the last trip and then they could also copy and paste a lot of the info from that booking aswell, so very quick and easy.

Booked the apartment directly with GSI Immobilier for 497 Euros. We've stayed in the apartment building several times before. It's very central and convenient.

Got the car troubles in early this year. Lock on driving doors wasn't operating intermittently with the central locking and had to be locked manually but mechanic sourced and fitted new mechanism on Friday. We've got to put the winters on in the next week or two - temps will be dropping soon.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-12-21 17:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ll be reading with envy Layne. I love your reports. We have kids the same age.
I hope to be able to get a trip in this coming season but all very up in the air right now. Oz is yet to sort it’s Covid situation out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ll be reading with envy Layne. I love your reports. We have kids the same age.
I hope to be able to get a trip in this coming season but all very up in the air right now. Oz is yet to sort it’s Covid situation out.

Here’s hoping for a great early season as far as snow goes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds good @Layne, well be across in Les Arcs from the 22nd of December to the 5th. Give me a wave as I pass by.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So what's been going on...

Winters are on the car.

Checked the kids ski boots and both sets had been outgrown. For simplicity we're sourcing new one's from Decathlon. Daughter got some from the shop itself but laddo we've had a delivery of two pairs that have gone back and waiting for two pairs more. Hopefully the sizing and comfort will be good at the second try. Some debate about when kids feet stop growing and we should take him to get properly fitted.

Ski's are still good I think - though frankly I can't even remember what size they have at the minute.

Snowboard boots still fit but the smaller board is way too small now for young un and the elder could do with a notch up. Still not resolved that one.

Of course the big questions/debate surround the Covid regs. Me and the wife are double vaxxed so relatively simple. Laddo will be double vaxxed by this time next week but being 16 I believe can not get the QR code. And young un is 14 and single vaxxed. So she will require daily testing. Whole thing is a bit mind bending but we are going to try and see it through.

Instead of car probs with had some cat problems. If it's not one thing it's another right.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne, if you are going out at on your usual dates, then you now also need a Covid test with 48 hours of your journey . . .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, yeah understood
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all. New to the forum. I have been closely following recent topics (especially related to restrictions etc) and am glad to have found a great source of information and an excellent online community. Myself and family are also planning on being in Les Coches similar time. This will be our first family trip. 14 yo daughter and related pass sanitaire issues aside - I can't wait.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decision time is looming.

I am going to have order a stack of tests in the next few days if we are to go ahead with the trip. With Chronomics it's £340 for 4 fit to fly tests and 4 test to return/Day 2 PCR bundles. We then have to pay the 25 Euros a day for the daughter to be tested but the biggie there is how easy it will be. We probably lose the apartment money if we don't go - 500 Euros.

A failed test to return would be mean staying at the in-laws in Germany for an undetermined time - something that is hard to consider and mitigate against. But given we are driving and self catering arguably very unlikely.

At the minute I am still 60/40 inclined to go for it. But it's almost a daily dilemma....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, Hopefully you have seen this from La Plagne, you have a testing place in Les Coches

In Montchavin – Les Coches:
— David JOHAN physiotherapist (tel. 06 29 72 77 52), by appointment every day except Saturday.

Taken from here https://en.la-plagne.com/coronavirus-information
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, in exactly the same place as you, except five of us, with two single jabbed daughters. I've costed testing at about £620 all in. Daily tests booked (in Tignes). Gulp!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Layne, Hopefully you have seen this from La Plagne, you have a testing place in Les Coches

In Montchavin – Les Coches:
— David JOHAN physiotherapist (tel. 06 29 72 77 52), by appointment every day except Saturday.

Taken from here https://en.la-plagne.com/coronavirus-information

Yeah I've seen but bit lacking in detail right now. Trying to convince the missus who speaks French to call them and check it out but she's feeling a bit crap right now (LFT negative!) so I may have to see how good their English is. If they are not open Saturday may be able to use the LFT we used to get out of the UK for Sunday otherwise find somewhere on the way in Sat morning I guess.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman wrote:
@Layne, in exactly the same place as you, except five of us, with two single jabbed daughters. I've costed testing at about £620 all in. Daily tests booked (in Tignes). Gulp!

You pulled the trigger on the tests yet? Which supplier you opting for? I am thinking Chronomics.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, have enjoyed your previous TRs. This one we’re almost in parallel with you - crossing channel late evening Thu 16 Dec, and heading for Chamonix. Albeit two adults with no teenagers.

Currently planning to get Randox tests - LFT for entry to F, and plan to take with us the LFT for pre-return to UK, and PCR for day two (planning on posting these in Randox Dropbox at Maidstone services on M20). Also taking a pile of nhs LFT kits to check we’re doing ok while out there. Randox seem ok on cost.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne
Good luck with the trip.
I’m hoping you can make it happen. Trip reports are one way us snow starved Aussies get through. Smile
snow conditions
@Layne, we used Chronomics for a recent holiday and they were quick and easy. Just haven’t pressed go yet! Finger hovering over the button…
ski holidays
@rainman, go on - you know want to Laughing
ski holidays
I do, I do!! The risk of a day 5/ day 8/ change of status is what gives me the fear. If we get isolated over Christmas the kids will kill me.
latest report
rainman wrote:
If we get isolated over Christmas the kids will kill me.

If you have kids and get isolated over Christmas, you'll probably want them to!. Very Happy
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
rainman wrote:
If we get isolated over Christmas the kids will kill me.

If you have kids and get isolated over Christmas, you'll probably want them to!. Very Happy

Too true!
snow conditions
At the minute we are a go.

Fit to travel/return/PCR day 2 booked with Chronomics

Daily antigen test booked for 14yo daughter.

Big question is can we stay Covid free until Friday. And then can our daughter pass her LFT test each day.

Adds an element of russian roulette to a standard ski trip Shocked Shocked
latest report
What a to do.

It went right through until 11:49 this morning before we finally caved and sent a message to the agency to say we would not be coming to stay in the apartment at Les Coches.

Late last night we did all the tests (Chronomics) and paperwork - and uploaded them all to the Eurotunnel booking. We had all the stuff ready to pack in the car. And then I awoke at 6.30 - not for the first time over the last couple of weeks - going through all the things that could go wrong. And what are the chances. Are we stupid to go or not to go.

After an hour lying in bed discussing it with the wife we came to a decision not to go. We had a family meeting to discuss/tell the kids. They went to school, I went back to bed. After an hours sleep and a cup of tea still my wife, normally the one who would bail if thinks were dicey, was questioning passing up the opportunity. And so another round of discussion broke out. But finally at 11:49 we called it.

If I had to summarise the decision it would simply be this: whilst Omicron may have milder affects it's velocity seems to be a step up. And with an unvaccinated teen testing every day the worry would always be there. We thought about how we could abandon ship, fudge the return tests. There is thinking the worst and then there is what will actually it may happen. Both kids have been to school even today. My daughter was at a camp last weekend where there was a confirmed case. And football and rugby games are being postponed regularly. And the message from the French government seemed loud and clear even if we could dip under it.

Bit long for a summary that!

I felt most sorry for my son 16 who was really looking forward to it. And I know was the one who was most willing to risk it. And the worst is I couldn't give him a compelling reason not to - just several ifs, buts and maybes.

We discussed going later in the season. My daughter has a camp Easter weekend she doesn't want to miss, my son doesn't want to take any time off school. So Feb half term now looks favourite. Daughter should be fully vaxxed by then, Omicron should have blown through, etc. We have moved the tunnel crossing already and will look for an apartment. Meanwhile we will try to make use of the downtime and do something else over the next 10 days or so.
snow report
@Layne, ahhh sorry for all of you.
ski holidays
Commiserations. You're right, it's the pace of change - of cases, travel restrictions, testing requirements - that makes it all so risky at the moment. And yes, there are so many things that can go wrong.

Hope you get a chance in February.
snow conditions
Sorry to hear Layne.
I was look forward to your holiday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy