Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Restaurant recommendations in Tignes Le Lac - Christmas week

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, me and my family are going to Tignes Le Lac 23-30 December, staying in a self-catering apartment. We are looking for restaurant recommendations for both the evenings and lunch times. How far ahead should we book for Christmas Eve? We are ideally looking for good value food in a nice environment, if that exists in Tignes Le Lac!? What kind of prices can we expect to pay for dinner out in the evening and lunch on the slopes? I have tried to look on the restaurant websites, but most of them don't have any menus with prices available yet for the coming season. I like the look of the Langley Tignes 2100 hotel. Does anyone know if they take bookings for their restaurant on Christmas Eve, from people who are not staying in the hotel? Also wondering if the hotels in the area sell day passes to their swimming pool and spa? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Motherofthree wrote:
I like the look of the Langley Tignes 2100 hotel. Does anyone know if they take bookings for their restaurant on Christmas Eve, from people who are not staying in the hotel?

I was at the Langley with Crystal in Jan this year. I thought the food was excellent (we had a set menu and they coped with my Vegan Daughter) - and I'm almost certain that non residents could use the restaurant....and as such should take bookings. For Christmas, I'd book well in advance.

You can contact them through their website - which is what we did for my Daughter. They got back immediately with a friendly email and couldn't have been more helpful throughout the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread isn't a bad starting point for recommendations, although it doesn't answer the Christmas questions. Tignes Spirit also has a pretty good guide to the restaurants and bars in the different villages in Tignes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for the info. I have had the opposite experience of this hotel. I contacted them twice to ask for help with booking rooms over Christmas on the day when the bookings opened and didn't receive a reply. When I checked the website again a couple of days later, the hotel was fully booked. But they they might be better at replying to emails about restaurant reservations! I will contact them again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JayRo, Thanks for the link to Tignes Spirit, I found lots of good info there about restaurants in Tignes Le Lac Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A few years ago we rented an apartment at Chalet Planton in Le Lac. They did a package that included breakfast and a fixed menu in their ground floor restaurant. It was very good value and of much better quality than standard chalet food.

Not sure if they still do it but it may be worth contacting a few restaurants and see what they can offer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Motherofthree,
Look at the restaurants in Val Claret and Lavachet too. Easy to get to on the free 24 hr bus service.
For lunch are you wanting to eat up the mountain or in the villages?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes regulars, (me included) will recommend The Queue de Cochon in Lavachet. It's an easy, free bus ride from 'Lac. Bus stop is just across the road. But it does get booked up. https://laqueuedecochon-tignes.com/

If your plans are firm then I would suggest contacting them sooner rather than later to check availability.

I think you still get a free swimming pass for the Lagon with your lift pass.

Langley/2100 has a spa. In the past friends have accessed the Village Montana pool and spa as non-guests but i'm not sure that's still a possibility.

Brassero is also next to the same bus stop in Lavachet. It was pretty good and consistent last Season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't comment on xmas details but we stayed in Lavachet in Jan this year as a group of 14 and were recommended:
L'Escale Blanche in Le Lac. for pasta / pizza - we ate there and it was very good.
La Ferme des 3 Capucines at the bottom of Lavachet - didn't eat here of an evening as we only had one night we wanted to eat out, but friends had lunch there one day, again very good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Motherofthree wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for the info. I have had the opposite experience of this hotel. I contacted them twice to ask for help with booking rooms over Christmas on the day when the bookings opened and didn't receive a reply. When I checked the website again a couple of days later, the hotel was fully booked. But they they might be better at replying to emails about restaurant reservations! I will contact them again.

I'm sorry to hear that.

My Daughter emailed as an existing Crystal booking, to inform them about her dietary needs and got a friendly reply within a couple of hours....but this was well into the ski season, about 2 weeks before we were due to arrive. On arrival, they were "on the ball" and brought it up immediately on check in and said the kitchen had been informed....which they had, as the waiter was also on the ball from the first night. This was a very different experience to the Belambra run Cachette in Les Arcs, who made encouraging noises but actually made zero effort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn’t bother with that Tignes Spirit link, it’s way out of date. 3 out of the first 4 in lac are no longer there.

George has mentioned QDC. I would heartily endorse that. Also Mendikoa in Lavachet for a top end meal, book at least 2 weeks in advance. Also pizzas at Brasero and Kodo for Asian Fusion stuff, good value. Laks in VC was excellent last year for a Scandi based meal, but the building was up for renovation. Also up there L’Armoise for the Savoyarde experience, top value on the set menus!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, Thanks for the tip, Chalet Planton in Le Lac looks lovely, but it's beyond our budget for accommodation unfortunately. We also already have an apartment booked via Expedia.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kenzie, Ideally we are looking for restaurants in the Le Lac area to have dinner in the evening, so that we won't need to take the bus. But if it runs often and doesn't take long, we could take the bus too and go to the other villages. Also looking for good value mountain restaurants where we can have lunch in the daytime.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 26-09-23 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeVII, Thanks for the restaurant tips. The menu in The Queue de Cochon in Lavachet however is not really to my liking, as I don't eat red meat and prefer Savoyard/Asian cuisine, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the info about Village Montana pool and spa, will check it out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JonA, Thanks for your recommendations, these restaurants look interesting!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Thanks very much for the recommendations, will check them out! How often does the bus between Le Lac and Val Claret run in the evenings?
snow report
Motherofthree wrote:
@Kenzie, Ideally we are looking for restaurants in the Le Lac area to have dinner in the evening, so that we won't need to take the bus. Also looking for good value mountain restaurants where we can have lunch in the daytime.

Lavachet is only about 10 mins walk from Le Lac, it’s not necessary to take the bus.
snow report
@Gämsbock, I see, thanks for the info. Didn't know these villages were so close to each other.
snow report
@Motherofthree, Val Claret is rather further away (probably 30-40 mins walk), but Lavachet and Le Lac are really close.
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, Thanks, that's useful to know. These are the kind of things you can't tell from looking at a resort map.
latest report
@Motherofthree, After about 1830 the buses are every half hour until about 2300. The timetable changes season to season but they do run to time from each end of the loop (Grande Motte in VC and Lavachet) but be early for the in between stops cos if the driver is a smoker they can move from one end of the resort to the other sharpish!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Motherofthree, After about 1830 the buses are every half hour until about 2300. The timetable changes season to season but they do run to time from each end of the loop (Grande Motte in VC and Lavachet) but be early for the in between stops cos if the driver is a smoker they can move from one end of the resort to the other sharpish!

Time stop in le Lac too?
snow report
Motherofthree wrote:
@GeorgeVII, Thanks for the restaurant tips. The menu in The Queue de Cochon in Lavachet however is not really to my liking, as I don't eat red meat and prefer Savoyard/Asian cuisine, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the info about Village Montana pool and spa, will check it out.

If you want Savoyard, Chocksaway mentions L’Armoise up in VC in his post.

Again on the Savoyard theme, someone else mentioned Le Ferme (a nice wander from the bus stop in the dip between Lavachet / Lac).

Its a personal favourite of mine, we have been many times. It is a beautiful setting, cosy and warm inside, lots of cheesy smells ! Kids can look at the farm animals through the glass, and the food is (imv) excellent value.
latest report
@Kenzie, In theory…….
snow report
@Motherofthree, You're welcome. As others have said, Lavachet is probably only a 10 -15 mins walk depending on where your staying in 'Lac.

Bus is useful too though, especially if you get a winter storm whilst you're there. Val Claret is an "easier" walk if the path across the frozen lake has been opened, but still probably a half hour walk. We've dined at L'Armoise with @chocksaway and others. Good value Savoyard food.

Lunches? Really depends on how much you want to spend. Cheapest lunch in Le Lac is probably something from the Spar/Sherpa supermarket in the Palafour building. (eg a burger, or chicken and frites used to be about 6-7 euros). But they also do sandwiches, wraps quiche etc. I personally wouldn't bother with the restaurants on Palafour or Grattalu runs.

Lo Soli is a better bet. Self service or table service. Over Toviere, near the Val d'Isere snowpark, is the Marmottes restaurant. Self service. Very busy at peak times, but excellent value. I think Steve Angus is a regular visitor for lunch with clients at the place in Le Breviere with the cauldron outside. (booking essential I believe) There are plenty of places happy to relieve you of big bucks for a blowout lunch. Panoramic up Grand Motte, and La Fruitiere at the Folly to mention just a couple of them.

btw, there is a very useful app for the free buses. Zenbus.
snow report
@Motherofthree,
For lunches are looking for a quick refuel or something longer?
snow report
Went with the teenage kids 2 years ago. Evening: L'Armoise (very good traditional cuisine). During the day in Le Lac: Tignes cuisine (simple Asian food but cheap and you get loads) and Loop Bar (which is next door). Up on the slopes: Marmottes (plentiful and cheap!).
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Thanks for the info. I don't like the idea of waiting for the bus for up to half an hour in the dark and cold, so will mainly look for restaurants in Le Lac and Lavachet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay, Le Ferme sounds nice and the location good for us, thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Thanks for the tip about the Zenbus app. We are looking for nice lunch restaurants on the slopes. I read somewhere that Tignes is supposed to offer better value for money when it comes to eating out than Val d'Isere, but I get the impression that this might not be the case!?
latest report
@Kenzie, We are looking to have lunch stops for perhaps an hour for a sit down lunch in a slope side restaurant.
snow report
@kettonskimum, These places sound great, I especially like the sound of Tignes cuisine!
snow report
@Motherofthree,
Tignes Cuisine was exactly what I was thinking of with 'quick refuel'.
latest report
My recommendations:

1) Moosebar - is actually a pretty good place for a post ski drink especially if you are in one of the apartments on rue de poste etc. The sunny terrace is lovely;

2) Brasserie L'arbina - not a bad place for a family meal. Reasonably priced and a variety of options. Book though as it tends to get busy at lunch and dinner;

3) L'Escale Blanche - had lunch there. Pizza/burger/pasta pretty good. Again get really busy especially at lunch given its location;

4) Restaurant Les Terrasses - another good lunchspot piste side in Le Lac. Also gets busy, especially when sunny;

5) Le Rendez-Vous - we got them on a bad night - chef had taken the day off and being Easter Hols they were busy. Food when it came was pretty good, but 3 hours for a single course dinner with kids wasn't what we were hoping for. Check that they are fully staffed.

6) L'terlou - family run place. Good Savoyard options. Book!
snow conditions
@FrediKanoute, Thanks very much for your tips! Little Angel
snow report
My top 2 in Tignes, and in my opinion no brainiers are……

Trois cappucines for dinner, you can walk it in 10 mins down the hill from the bus station….. if a meat eater then the cote de boeuf for two (you need to represent order as it frequently runs out

For a special lunch (it can be quite lumpy price wise) Panoramic bottom of the gondola
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, Thank you for the recommendations!
snow report
For a no frills cheap burger with good toppings you have Aspen in Val Claret close to the bus stop.
On the main street and close to him you have the Taverne de Neige. Their plat du jour is always interesting.
Both places are good for a quick stop for lunch or at the end of a skiing day if you choose not to return from Val d'isere by Toviere gondola or the black Johan Clarey.
I think at least Taverne de Neige is closed for dinner after18 etc
ski holidays
We went last half term

NIUROU STEAKHOUSE was great, and Langley Hotel 2100 was perfect for pizza at the bar tables for us.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy