Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kastle MX89 Suitable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

And don't pre-judge. When I was in Canada I was using a twin rockered 111mm ski. Would I recommend that or even anything close to it as a one-ski quiver in France? Absolutely not.

Why not? Plenty of 100-115 skis perfectly suitable for seasonaires daily driver. Most of the decent young skiers here are on something like Faction CT3 (112) or CT2 (102)

And re Kaestle (and Stockli). I have both and never see anyone under 40 on them!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

And don't pre-judge. When I was in Canada I was using a twin rockered 111mm ski. Would I recommend that or even anything close to it as a one-ski quiver in France? Absolutely not.

I think you overestimate the number of powder days in Western Canada, we get our fair share of rock hard pistes too (well, maybe not as fair a share as the east coast! wink )
Not everyone skis on fat skis, not everyone skis on thin skis, some people like to ski ski pow on narrower skis, some ski ice on fat skis (me included),...

Personally I'd say 88 is too narrow for a one ski quiver. You might not be able to arc them up quite so well on bulletproof ice, but imho the ideal allrounder modern ski is about 100mm.
I'm old so my opinion doesn't count for the hip seasonaire, but H Jr is young, has to train/compete on all sorts of snow conditions, and is a sponsored freeride skier so can have a collection of whatever width skis he likes; he still skis most of the time on 108s which he loves for everything
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
Most of the decent young skiers here are on something like Faction CT3 (112) or CT2 (102)

That's because they see Candide on Tik Tok and think he's cool so they want to be like him. Some Faction blurb for the CT2 says, "This Faction ski is aimed at advanced freeskiers and above who want a versatile, high-performance ski that will satisfy their desire for the powder, the snowpark, the tricks and the sensations." If you want to spend your mornings learning how to land switch off a rock jump and your afternoons in the park, I agree - good choice. Just doesn't sound like what the OP asked for.

Regarding your other points: I like damp skis on piste, that's it. I've rented and owned 106-111mm twin rockered skis, been on guided off-piste holidays on them, heli'd on them, skied Whistler on them. They're great in their intended environment but I've hated the lot of them on piste. Flappy and unresponsive. I ski mostly in the 3Vs now in early and late season. There's a lot of travelling about and I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I'd rather ski the off piste on a "narrow" ski than the on piste on a wide ski. I'd rather have grip on ice and smash through slush than do skiddy turns and try to ride over the top. And mid 80s isn't really narrow if you learnt to ski on 67mm skis and have heli'd on the original Stockli Stormrider XLs which were 75mm... I did Laughing

Sure, its a bit traditional and maybe not very cool to like damp skis but I can carve, I do ski technically correct (within reason) and whilst I definitely enjoy exploring in the middle of nowhere, itineraries etc, I'd far rather carve down a piste at speed than mess around in the tracked out crud in-between. I swear most seasonaires that are doing that are doing so for bragging rights, not because they actually enjoy it. It certainly seemed that way when I was a seasonaire and doing it with them! A genuine powder day is of course different but how long does that last before it's tracked out - an hour? I'm not going to spend all season on a ski that's only in it's true element for a tiny fraction of my ski time.

So for me, you get a ski that suits what you're likely to do 80% of the time and beg, borrow, steal or rent if you can't hack the other 20% with the same ski. Or get better. I reckon far too many people buy for the 20% because they swallow the marketing gumph. Overall skier numbers are going down aren't they? Especially amongst the young - I wonder why... Toofy Grin

TBF, now we know the OP's going to Tignes, I reckon you could go wider than my original recommendation and still be good for on and off piste there. I think I'd be looking for a deal on a pair of Blizzard Bonafides (97mm) in a 183cm for the OP as an all-round ski that can still be skied aggressively when it suits. You can usually get them for sub £400 (ski only) in a sale so they fit the budget.

BobinCH wrote:
And re Kaestle (and Stockli). I have both and never see anyone under 40 on them!

That's because they can't afford them!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stuarth, I would fully expect a young un growing up in Whistler to be extremely comfortable everywhere on 108s, no surprise at all.

But I'm struggling with how what a sponsored pro freerider is skiing on is relevant to someone who's done 1-2 weeks holiday a year, most likely in Europe, and a weekly session on 150m of plastic!

6 weeks punter skiing in Canada does not a pro freerider make....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If still looking for that "Perfect Ski", the following roundups cover most of the likely options. They discuss design, construction, where the skis excel and who they are best suited to.

Mid 80 All Mountain

http://youtube.com/v/N3m4xw2UP5k

90mm All Mountain

http://youtube.com/v/k-sSgUqonJs

Mid 90 All Mountain

http://youtube.com/v/egeQTQQTWOk
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

You can usually get them for sub £400 (ski only) in a sale so they fit the budget.

BobinCH wrote:

That's because they can't afford them!

Bob skis the FX96 HP skis!
Bought mine new for £125!
My Volkl Kendo's have the metal for a "damped" ride, and were under £400 BN with Griffon 13 bindings!

Just saying the MX89's are decent price
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy