Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kastle MX89 Suitable?

Poster: A snowHead
Rather than ask for suggestions and having my brain fried (though feel free to add a suggestion after answering the main question, if poss) I would rather give the ski we are looking at and asked whether you think it would be suitable. They are for my son.
He is:
85 to 90kg, 195cm, early 20's, skies pretty fast and aggressively.
Skied at least once a year since about 5, spent a few years at the weekly ski club at our local dry slope and distinctly improved (in my opinion) after spending 6 weeks in Canada a couple of years ago.
He is looking to spend the winter in the French Alps but will dip off the sides of pistes, maybe a bit further as he gets to know the area and obviously spend a lot of time on piste.
He will take one pair of skis to use in whatever conditions and part of the ski area he finds himself, until he wears them out or decides otherwise so is looking for something in the all mountain arena.
Budget is negotiable but I thought this a decent deal

We generally rent so don't need to give it too much thought. Hope that is enough info for some decent answers or other suggestions. A link.....

https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/skis/2020-kastle-mx89-all-mountain-skis-with-k12-tri-gripwalk-bindings__18584?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=AM8918PB034188&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLsVKN7TJFrBCJZWGAvV5XXFXxM-Dw-vux4diyC7JCkMZgfL6cBcFcxoCHjsQAvD_BwE
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Disclaimer: I love Kastles (and Stocklis)!

They are proper hard-core seasonnaire's skis, especially in that length. He will get the most out of them (definitely) if he skis fast but also if he skis technically correct. If he's been in the local race club and/or can carve, then they are an excellent choice. They're not a ski for messing around at slow speeds trying to pull a couple of tricks on, nor for trying to drift the tail around off piste. They're full camber, stiff and damp and they are a better ski than he is a skier and I mean that as a positive. As he gets better, stronger, fitter during the season he won't outgrow them, he'll just appreciate their stability more and more.

They're a good deal because most people would be scared of them in a 188cm but the length is ok for his stats and if if I was doing a full season I would consider them. I ski on Kastle MX83s in their longest length but I only do 3-4 weeks a year now. In the multiple brand ski shop in Courchevel where I go that is the Kastle dealer, all three ski department staff choose to ski on Kastles - one on the MX83, one on the MX88 and one on the MX98, you can't get a better recommendation than that for a seasonnaire's ski.

And don't worry about it being a 2020 MX89, that's arguably a better ski than the current MX88 because it's got silver fir in it rather than poplar.

My only caveat would be to find out what type of ski he was using in Canada (and whether he liked them). If he was on something fairly soft with a rockered tip and rounded tail, then the MX89s are going to ski very differently. But French alpine skiing is nothing like the Canadian Rockies and for me a damp, fast, cambered ski is far more suitable for covering big distances so he may have to adapt a bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your Son is fast, competent and with race training - and wants a hard charging GS feeling ski, with some AM versatility - I would totally agree with @Je suis un Skieur. It sounds ideal provided he isn't looking for a reactive, "poppy" short turning ski, that is easy going and forgiving at slow speeds.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are true "ice-missles". I have a previous edition and they can seriously motor. He will love them - provided that he uses them what they are built for - piste, and some "shallow" loose snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Je suis un Skieur, @Lilledonmarco, @Old Fartbag, thanks that's all really helpful and exactly what we needed. Actually steering him away from them i think but that's just as useful.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
toyah807 wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, @Lilledonmarco, @Old Fartbag, thanks that's all really helpful and exactly what we needed. Actually steering him away from them i think but that's just as useful.

If looking for something a touch more forgiving and a bit more versatile (Front and back Rocker), check out Rossignol Experience 86Ti in a 185. There is also a Basalt version which is more playful and forgiving (especially Off Piste and Moguls), but less damp. The Ti version is for high speed ripping On Piste, but is harder work and requires decent technique outside of that; the Basalt version is for having fun across a variety of conditions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
toyah807 wrote:

If looking for something a touch more forgiving and a bit more versatile (Front and back Rocker), check out Rossignol Experience 86Ti in a 185. There is also a Basalt version which is more playful and forgiving (especially Off Piste and Moguls), but less damp. The Ti version is for high speed ripping On Piste, but is harder work and requires decent technique outside of that; the Basalt version is for having fun across a variety of conditions.

Is that from first hand knowledge?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Is that from first hand knowledge?

No.

I'm much shorter, lighter and older than the OP's son, so my preferences would have very little bearing on what is suitable for him.

I have skied on Kastle in the past (hired, not owned), as well as the previous model Experience 88.

The feedback on the 86Ti/Basalt comes from someone much closer in size to the OP's son and would thus be much more relevant.

http://youtube.com/v/xjBr__Yiuwc

http://youtube.com/v/_QsQeP9MN9g

The idea is simply to bring another suggestion to the attention of the OP. It is up to them to take it from there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With an update that he also likes playing about a bit and the Kastles might not be ideal for that different suggestions, should people have the time, knowledge and inclination, are more than welcome ta.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another ski that has been well thought of and so worth looking at (which I haven't been on), is the Elan Wingman 86Ti or CTi (a little stiffer)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@toyah807, Blizzard Brahma 88 in a 183cm. They make a 189cm but the longest lengths in Blizzards have a reputation for being hard work and only really necessary for the biggest skiers, say 100kg+. 2023 and 2024 models are identical, I believe. Put a good binding on them!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@toyah807, Big shout out for Glide and Slide, their service, their staff, and their great one-off deals!
I recently had the bargain of the decade with a pair of Kastle FX96 HP's they were selling in their summer selection.
Brilliant service to put together well decent bindings for me.
BTW, the MX89's were a real contender at the time.

Go on, treat your son. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
@toyah807, Big shout out for Glide and Slide, their service, their staff, and their great one-off deals!
I recently had the bargain of the decade with a pair of Kastle FX96 HP's they were selling in their summer selection.
Brilliant service to put together well decent bindings for me.
BTW, the MX89's were a real contender at the time.

Go on, treat your son. snowHead

Those FX96 are particularly good in fitting this brief, in my view. Very on point for performance capability, but with wide "gateway" or bandwidth in extending down into less committed and technical run around skiing too.

I'd be happy with just these to spend time on whatever the conditions throw at skiing anywhere on the mountain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski3 wrote:
Those FX96 are particularly good in fitting this brief, in my view. Very on point for performance capability, but with wide "gateway" or bandwidth in extending down into less committed and technical run around skiing too.

I'd be happy with just these to spend time on whatever the conditions throw at skiing anywhere on the mountain.

Nah, Kastle lost the plot when they took the Titanal out of the previous excellent FX95HP to create the much unloved and very un-Kastle-like FX96HP. The FX96Ti released in 2022 with Titanal back in is a proper Kastle but I wouldn't be going over 90mm for an all-season one-ski quiver in a French mega resort. Assuming the OP is going to be in a mega resort, that is, they haven't actually said but I guess it's more likely than not.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strong ski that likes to play a bit? Nordica Enforcer 94.
ski holidays
Kastle overrated. Blizzard Brahma 88 Cool Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@spyderjon, @Listening, @Je suis un Skieur, @ski3, @skimastaaah, again, all really helpful and appreciated whether for/ against/ alternative. I am treating him......to the encyclopaedic knowledge of Snowheads! Tignes is where he hopes to be heading.
latest report
@Je suis un Skieur, just remembered your question of earlier. He had some wideish Factions in Canada but exact model and dimensions are lost in the mists so no real help there
latest report
@toyah807, if he’s going to Tignes for the season and a decent skier he’s inevitably going to get into the off piste and so wants something closer to the 100mm mark than 89. Some options here:
https://freeskier.com/stories/best-big-mountain-skis
snow conditions
toyah807 wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, just remembered your question of earlier. He had some wideish Factions in Canada but exact model and dimensions are lost in the mists so no real help there
It does help although you didn't answer the key question of whether he liked them!

I'm no great expert on Faction but almost all of them have a front rocker, most have tail rocker too, most are twin tips (for messing around, skiing switch etc), some have titanal but even when they do they are still considered to be poppy or playful rather than stiff and damp. The Kastle MX89s are pretty much the total opposite of Faction. So if he did like them and wants something similar, the MX89s are not the way to go. The Blizzard Brahma 88s that I recommended earlier and that were also recommended by spyderjon (who is a ski dealer) would still work.

I'd say he needs to decide what his main kind of skiing is really likely to be and then decide on the appropriate width for that. And remember that Tignes/VDI off piste within sight of a piste gets tracked out very quickly and is much heavier than Canada to start with so IMV you absolutely do not need as wide a ski in France as you would in the Rockies. There are some (plenty!) of great off piste areas around the Espace Killy where a 100mm+ ski would be helpful but you shouldn't be going there without full avy kit and a guide so unless he's going to be doing that very regularly, and has got the kit, I would still go narrower for a one-ski quiver. 80/20 rule and all that.
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
toyah807 wrote:
It does help although you didn't answer the key question of whether he liked them!

I'm no great expert on Faction but almost all of them have a front rocker, most have tail rocker too, most are twin tips (for messing around, skiing switch etc), some have titanal but even when they do they are still considered to be poppy or playful rather than stiff and damp. The Kastle MX89s are pretty much the total opposite of Faction. So if he did like them and wants something similar, the MX89s are not the way to go. The Blizzard Brahma 88s that I recommended earlier and that were also recommended by spyderjon (who is a ski dealer) would still work.

I'd say he needs to decide what his main kind of skiing is really likely to be and then decide on the appropriate width for that. And remember that Tignes/VDI off piste within sight of a piste gets tracked out very quickly and is much heavier than Canada to start with so IMV you absolutely do not need as wide a ski in France as you would in the Rockies. There are some (plenty!) of great off piste areas around the Espace Killy where a 100mm+ ski would be helpful but you shouldn't be going there without full avy kit and a guide so unless he's going to be doing that very regularly, and has got the kit, I would still go narrower for a one-ski quiver. 80/20 rule and all that.

Scottish young fella skied a 116mm K2 Mindbender as a daily driver in Tignes
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZFiYkWBgbm/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
snow report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
And remember that Tignes/VDI off piste within sight of a piste gets tracked out very quickly and is much heavier than Canada to start with so IMV you absolutely do not need as wide a ski in France as you would in the Rockies.

Depends where in Canada. Have you been to Whistler (which isn't in the Rockies)!? Light and/or long lasting fresh powder and Whistler are not commonly associated Shocked wink Not sure they even have powder on the east coast! Madeye-Smiley
100mm is an all-rounder. The smallest ski I still regularly use is a 108, though might go down to a 99 this season.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:

Good for him.

Personally, I don't think the 80/20 rule of a guy who's pulling backflips on instagram matches the brief from the OP, so I wouldn't expect them to be using the same skis...
toyah807 wrote:
early 20's, skies pretty fast and aggressively. He is looking to spend the winter in the French Alps but will dip off the sides of pistes, maybe a bit further as he gets to know the area and obviously spend a lot of time on piste.
snow report
stuarth wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
And remember that Tignes/VDI off piste within sight of a piste gets tracked out very quickly and is much heavier than Canada to start with so IMV you absolutely do not need as wide a ski in France as you would in the Rockies.

Depends where in Canada. Have you been to Whistler (which isn't in the Rockies)!? Light and/or long lasting fresh powder and Whistler are not commonly associated Shocked wink Not sure they even have powder on the east coast! Madeye-Smiley
100mm is an all-rounder. The smallest ski I still regularly use is a 108, though might go down to a 99 this season.

Yes I've been to both and agree that Whistler is heavier than the Rockies. But French alpine conditions are probably closer to Tremblant than either so as you've alluded to, true powder is extremely rare within sight of a piste, which is where the OP has said he will be skiing.
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

I'd say he needs to decide what his main kind of skiing is really likely to be and then decide on the appropriate width for that.

Absolutely this.

Maybe the way to go, is to have a list of recommendations and try them out while in resort and thus determine what suits his style, ability and preference. It might be more expensive than getting a deal somewhere, but is much more likely to have a successful outcome.
latest report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
In the multiple brand ski shop in Courchevel where I go that is the Kastle dealer, all three ski department staff choose to ski on Kastles - one on the MX83, one on the MX88 and one on the MX98

@Je suis un Skieur, which shop is that ? I don't hire but be good to know in case clients want to test out Kastle...
ski holidays
@skimottaret, took me years to find somewhere that rents out Kastle! Bernard Charvin Sports in 1850. On the main drag just down from Rolex (was the tourist office) on the other side, next door to Louis Vuitton/Fendi, opposite Graff and Valentino. Seems about right for a Kastle dealer Laughing
latest report
merci... I have some MX84's which are sweet but somewhat wasted as I use em for telemarking and I suck at tele Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
merci... I have some MX84's which are sweet but somewhat wasted as I use em for telemarking and I suck at tele Toofy Grin

<palm> I think that's actually sacrilege Laughing
latest report
agreed but like the OP I got them for a steal as were the longest version and without binders. 80% off on Snow and Rock , I actually thought it the price was a mistake but no...
snow report
Fair play. Always makes me laugh that people are scared of the longest length which is what, 182cm? The tech in Bernard Charvin told me categorically that I should take the MX83 in it's longest length and he was right.
snow report
@toyah807, That is a lot of ski for the money and although a few seasons old I would think a great pair of boards for your son. I am a similar height, 5kg fatter, and I would defo recommend the long ones. Press BUY NOW Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@toyah807,

Sorry coming at this late but given he is a good skier I'd be AMAZED if by halfway through the season he is not spending the MAJORITY of his time off piste. I don't doubt he'd love those Kastle's on piste but they wouldn't be my choice of a single pair of skis to do the kind of skiing I'm pretty sure he will end up doing. If he doesn't want to give up much piste performance but still wants a ski that is at home off piste then the usual suggestions would be Volkl Mantra, Nordica Enforcer, Stockli Stormrider with a waist in the 95-105mm range. Think I'd be looking at Stormrider 95 but that's me.
latest report
What did he use in Canada?

A couple of thoughts.

One he's an adult and probably doesn't need parents picking skis for him.

On the assumption that you're funding then the Kastles seem a decent pick as a piste based all-rounder. If he finds himself skiing a lot offpiste he may want something else as well but I'm sure there will be a healthy secondhand market among seasonnaires in resort.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, FIFY One he's a SEASONAIRE and probably DOES need parents PAYING FOR skis for him.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
@toyah807, Think I'd be looking at Stormrider 95 but that's me.

Not that I disagree with the recommendation, I love Stocklis and would certainly consider them if I thought I was going to do a 50/50 on and off piste season, but the OPs budget is a negotiable £400. When was the last time you saw even unpopular Stocklis in a sale at anything like that price, let alone one of their best models?
latest report
I can see why the MX89 @ 188 would be possibly be a bit... not enough fun.

Ekosport are doing the Head Kore 87 for 450ish if the 10% discount is included which would be more fun off the side but still behave impeccably on the piste. They also have a Dynastar 4x4 963 @ 185 for less which I tested in the fridge last year and thought gave a nice controlled ride, if you were to go for @Dave of the Marmottes' sensible option of going for a piste ski with a view to picking up something specifically for park or deep snow say.

Other retailers are available and getting rid of older stock too.
snow report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Good for him.

Personally, I don't think the 80/20 rule of a guy who's pulling backflips on instagram matches the brief from the OP, so I wouldn't expect them to be using the same skis...
toyah807 wrote:
early 20's, skies pretty fast and aggressively. He is looking to spend the winter in the French Alps but will dip off the sides of pistes, maybe a bit further as he gets to know the area and obviously spend a lot of time on piste.

Fair enough but all the young skiers are on skis like that. You are old hence your Kaestle recommendation. He’ll be in the park or off piste (the Faction reference is a clue) and so you want skis that will help him out there
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Fair enough but all the young skiers are on skis like that. You are old hence your Kaestle recommendation. He’ll be in the park or off piste (the Faction reference is a clue) and so you want skis that will help him out there

You didn't read my posts properly. The clue is in that I asked what he was using in Canada for comparison and gave a conditional recommendation for the MX89s:

Je suis un Skieur wrote:
...if he skis technically correct. If he's been in the local race club and/or can carve, then they are an excellent choice. They're not a ski for messing around at slow speeds trying to pull a couple of tricks on, nor for trying to drift the tail around off piste.

My only caveat would be to find out what type of ski he was using in Canada (and whether he liked them). If he was on something fairly soft with a rockered tip and rounded tail, then the MX89s are going to ski very differently.

and after it came back that he was using Faction in Canada:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
The Kastle MX89s are pretty much the total opposite of Faction. So if he did like them and wants something similar, the MX89s are not the way to go.

Clear enough for you?

And don't pre-judge. When I was in Canada I was using a twin rockered 111mm ski. Would I recommend that or even anything close to it as a one-ski quiver in France? Absolutely not.
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
jedster wrote:
@toyah807, Think I'd be looking at Stormrider 95 but that's me.

Not that I disagree with the recommendation, I love Stocklis and would certainly consider them if I thought I was going to do a 50/50 on and off piste season, but the OPs budget is a negotiable £400. When was the last time you saw even unpopular Stocklis in a sale at anything like that price, let alone one of their best models?

I just saw the "budget negotiable" bit Very Happy
But yeah - stocklis aren't cheap. Even if they can be decent value as a daily driver given how long-lived they are.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy