Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short skis

Poster: A snowHead
DrLawn wrote:
Why are "Redsters" Green?

It's because you've picked them before they're ripe! Skullie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DrLawn, Sorry, you are wrong. It is the presence of Go Faster Stripes.

Much of what is said here is absolutely spot on. I am also considering going onto shorter skis, but for a very specific purpose. I currently race on 165 slalom skis and thinking of moving down to the lighter faster turning 155 skis my wife uses. Now I'm in my 70's I think my strength is not what it was for the longer skis. OK I have a pair of 177 fatter skis for general use on and off piste, but the very stiff, very sidecut, very sharp slalom sks are absolutely fantastic on really firm pistes*, when I can carve short radius turns when other skiers are skidding all over the place.

I suggest the OP sticks to the 160s and concentrates on lessons.

* I hate the term "icy" if the slopes were not covered in ice they would be rock, grass or mud.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:

* I hate the term "icy" if the slopes were not covered in ice they would be rock, grass or mud.

I feel the same but for the opposite reason - unless it's shiny and transparent it's not ice in my book. So many people complain that 'the pistes were a bit icy today' when all they really mean is that there were patches of hard, packed, scraped snow. Anyone who's tried to ski on true ice will know what I'm talking about.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

I feel the same but for the opposite reason - unless it's shiny and transparent it's not ice in my book. So many people complain that 'the pistes were a bit icy today' when all they really mean is that there were patches of hard, packed, scraped snow. Anyone who's tried to ski on true ice will know what I'm talking about.

There must be some Scottish in you.

I have often been skiing in a group, when there was general grumbling about the "Ice"...and then a quiet voice says with a Scottish lilt, "That's no' Ice. If ye want to see Ice, try skiing in Sco'land!" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

There must be some Scottish in you.

I have often been skiing in a group, when there was general grumbling about the "Ice"...and then a quiet voice says with a Scottish lilt, "That's no' Ice. If ye want to see Ice, try skiing in Sco'land!" Toofy Grin

Plenty in Hintertux today Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swskier wrote:

Often recognizable by the friendly, chiselled features; a confident demeanour and quality, but battered kit. Skullie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
swskier wrote:

Often recognizable by the friendly, chiselled features; a confident demeanour and quality, but battered kit. Skullie

And their preference, almost exclusively in some cases, for the 'short swing turn'; due to limited width of snow, I always assumed Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
swskier wrote:

And their preference, almost exclusively in some cases, for the 'short swing turn'; due to limited width of snow, I always assumed Laughing

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The news is from Madsiet .. I'm so jealous.

@Old Fartbag, I'll leave them on the window sill to ripen up then.
I don't have a pair of Redsters of my own .. but I've rented them a couple of times .. the X7 in just 152cm as I was going to be having a go at some moguls.
I thought hey were great for the moguls and just about anything else that was about.

@johnE,
I'm 74 now and I'm starting to realise my limitations ...
No more Volkl P9s in 195cm
So as you do I'm starting to use my wife's skis ...
Its a pitty her underwaer does not fit me too well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:

@Old Fartbag, I'll leave them on the window sill to ripen up then.

....and sprinkle with snow every other day. Nb. Don't use ice, or they'll turn blue. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Old Fartbag I'll do that then.
The tomatoes can go for chutney now.

We don't get snow down here to sprinkle them with .. Can I just rub an ice cube up and down them, I'm fond of blue?

Off subject now but ...
Is it a bad year for sloes? or is it just a bit early ..
We fancy having a go at making "sloe gin" (with all this talk of ice) but my misses could not find any good ones yesterday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
Thanks Old Fartbag I'll do that then.
The tomatoes can go for chutney now.

We don't get snow down here to sprinkle them with .. Can I just rub an ice cube up and down them, I'm fond of blue?

Off subject now but ...
Is it a bad year for sloes? or is it just a bit early ..
We fancy having a go at making "sloe gin" (with all this talk of ice) but my misses could not find any good ones yesterday.

Here's what to do...

Take 23 ice cubes made from distilled water and put them in the blender. Blend until you have snow. Sprinkle on skis. Rinse and repeat every other day. Simples.

Ps. At 74, you need Sloe Skis as well as Sloe Gin. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I feel the same but for the opposite reason - unless it's shiny and transparent it's not ice in my book.

But all snow is just ice in different crystals. What you ae refering to is that blue stuff I call "water ice"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I feel the same but for the opposite reason - unless it's shiny and transparent it's not ice in my book.

What you ae refering to is that blue stuff I call "water ice"

It's probably what I call "Boiler Plate".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Nope. That's definitely not "ice" by my definition.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Nope. That's definitely not "ice" by my definition.

For me, "Boiler Plate" is that shiny blue-tinged stuff that you can get, when the top layers all blows off....most commonly, I've come across it on the Tignes Glacier, early season.
latest report
Water Ice for me is what you get in spring where puddles form during the day then refreezes as a sheet of really hard blue stuff. It is almost entrely flat and basically you just go straight over it. @Old Fartbag, I would describe your stuff as glacier ice.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Water Ice for me is what you get in spring where puddles form during the day then refreezes as a sheet of really hard blue stuff. It is almost entrely flat and basically you just go straight over it. @Old Fartbag, I would describe your stuff as glacier ice.

I'm sure I have seen something similar, after a very windy night, on some sections of the pistes down to La Daille. It mightn't have been quite as bad as on a Glacier - but any grip was impossible (for me, anyway) unless on a razor sharp WC race ski.

I can also remember the bottom of a chairlift in Les Arcs (Christmas time around 20 years ago), where all snow had blown off, leaving sheet ice around the entrance to the lift. I hadn't picked up on this, came in at a speed (not that fast) where I expected to do a hockey stop.....but hit this patch, slid sideways toward a "cliff edge" that dropped down to the side of some building - but caught a convenient pole near the edge, which spun me around and deposited me into the "people free" roped off lanes. Embarassed
latest report
Jees peeps! i thought blue ice fell out of the sky Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Aqua66 wrote:
Jees peeps! i thought blue ice fell out of the sky Toofy Grin

It gets everywhere! Skullie
ski holidays
I've seen an ice field before, right near the bottom of the slope into Leogang, it was not steep at all and it looked like small waves all shiny and transparent. All of us tourist skiers were floundering around on it like Bambi.
But then a quite senior ski instructor came down across it going absalutely straight like a steam train with his jacket flapping in the wind and his long silver hair flowing out behind.
He looked like the ski God of the mountain.

By serendipity I bumped into him again years later in 1996 when he was the sommeleire at the posh four star hotel in Leogang..
I said to him, "I recognise you from skiing like a God down this hill".
He explained to me that yes, it was him. It was his ski school, and this was his Hotel etc.
It was his village and his mountain Very Happy
And we were very welcome.
One of those moments.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Nice!

Back in the day, there was an odd night where it rained in the early evening and then froze solid overnight. The PdS went from white to grey. Literally frozen water from top to bottom. My guests were not appreciative. Big lunch ensued.

On "Water ice" late season there was a river that froze overnight on the then itinerary into Morgins. I carved pretty perfect tracks into it on my freshly sharpened 7SKs ...
snow report
@under a new name, Its great when you can get that "feeling". Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy