Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen or St Anton for Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, Cheers thanks for that. Appreciate the feedback Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
afinlay wrote:
@fullducknodinner, Thanks for that. I have looked at sunweb and the fact that they include the ski pass their prices are pretty good but the only option for flights from Dublin is to Munich or Salzburg. I’m presuming transfers from there would be expensive? I rarely use travel agents for holidays but as as this skiing holiday is a first for us I felt it might be less of a headache going through Crystal? Will have another look at it though and see if the saving is worth it. Cheers Eh oh!

Munich to Mayrhofen wouldn't necessarily be too expensive. Also you could do the journey via train, you'd be looking in the region of €50 per person each way via train
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
afinlay wrote:
@fullducknodinner, Thanks for that. I have looked at sunweb and the fact that they include the ski pass their prices are pretty good but the only option for flights from Dublin is to Munich or Salzburg. I’m presuming transfers from there would be expensive? I rarely use travel agents for holidays but as as this skiing holiday is a first for us I felt it might be less of a headache going through Crystal? Will have another look at it though and see if the saving is worth it. Cheers Eh oh!

Munich to Mayrhofen wouldn't necessarily be too expensive. Also you could do the journey via train, you'd be looking in the region of €50 per person each way via train

Or a private transfer for 8 from Munich airport to Mayrhofen is showing as €425 each way, so €850 return for the entire group with Four Seasons Travel. I've used them several times and they provide a good service.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@afinlay, Mayrhofen will be fine. You'll just have to take the gondola up in the morning and down at the end of the day as opposed to using the nursery slopes in the village in St Anton, not a big deal or worth a significant premium. For Christmas decorations and ambiance Mayrhofen might be better, as St Anton is less of a family destination
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Listening wrote:
@afinlay, Mayrhofen will be fine. You'll just have to take the gondola up in the morning and down at the end of the day as opposed to using the nursery slopes in the village in St Anton, not a big deal or worth a significant premium. For Christmas decorations and ambiance Mayrhofen might be better, as St Anton is less of a family destination

In a way I think this would trump a village nursery slope. You'll feel like you're up in the mountains while you're learning, not at the bottom in the village.

Could be quite nice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, Thanks so much for checking that out for me. Much appreciated Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for all your input. Very much appreciated Eh oh!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jaggycolin wrote:
Can't speak for St Anton but I think Mayrhofen would be fine for your group. Nice town, good apres, lots of restaurants, short airport transfer. I'd go for Manni hotel because less than 5 mins walk from gondola's. Learner slopes up the hill with places to meet at top of gondola for lunch. Once mastered beginner slopes on Penken mountain progress over to Ahorn mountain where you have the White Lounge to sit and relax with a drink. It worked for our group on our first trip and got us all hooked on skiing 20 years ago.

+1 for Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@afinlay, another thing, Crystal do t always show all options of hotels/HB on their web site. Look at options available from say, London, then call Crystal and ask for the same option via Dublin. There may be more hotel options.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@afinlay,
when booking hotels in Austria I look on the tourist office website its normally the cheapest. then cross reference the price with a booking dot com and hotels dot com(i use quidco if its the same price)Munchen Airport is an easy transfer to the Hoff via train or a private transfer. Book ski schools and ski hire on line on line prior to getting there for best price. Book lift passes on line and collect from the vending machine at the bottom of the Penkenbahn.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swskier wrote:
Listening wrote:

In a way I think this would trump a village nursery slope. You'll feel like you're up in the mountains while you're learning, not at the bottom in the village.

Could be quite nice.

exactly that. be up in the mountains having lunch bier und schnapps in a mountain hütte.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JimboS, Great idea I’ll try that. Thanks a mill Eh oh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, I’ll check all that out. Thanks a mill. Looking forward to the bier and the schnapps in the mountain hutte Eh oh!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still would not recommend StA for beginner skiers, but there is nursery slope, and 2 beginner lifts , up on the Gampen, ie up on the mountain. Access via Nassereinbahn or Gampenbahn. The former is a gondola, while the latter is a chair and you need to have your equipment on, ie not carry.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, cheers thanks for that Eh oh!
snow report
Be strong.

Ignore the weak.

Book St Anton.

Get on the smash.
snow report
@Whitegold, Hahaha Eh oh!
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Be strong.

Ignore the weak.

Book St Anton.

Get on the smash.

I agree. The "non sporty" people on your trip are asking for trouble. It baffles me why anyone "non-sporty" would even want to do skiing other than purely for the apres, in which case don't bother with the skiing and just hit the bars from lunchtime.. Very Happy
ski holidays
afinlay wrote:
Looking for a lively resort thats typically Austrian and Christmassy with decent restaurants and nightlife. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Just in case you are unaware..

Christmas in Austria & Germany is celebrated on Chistmas Eve 24th (Heiligabend) ..

From noon on Xmas eve (24th) Shops & businesses including Apres SKi , Bars, Cafes & Restaurants ,Supermarkets everywhere including Ski areas all close for the night from 17:00-18:00..

NO music or partying ..(by law)

So if you need anything do it before then ...

Many resort workers then travel back to their homes (in other parts of Austria & neighbouring Countrys) to be with their Familys..

It is traditionally a very quiet family night....

The Churches all hold mass at 23:45

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Xmas Day (25th)everything returns to normal ......
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Many resort workers then travel back to their homes (in other parts of Austria & neighbouring Countrys) to be with their Familys..

Xmas Day (25th)everything returns to normal ......

Since many workers are from Eastern Europe, this is quite impossible. Typical @stanton wisdom again....
snow report
@Pyramus, Sounds like a possibility Eh oh!
latest report
@stanton, Actually I didn’t realise all that. So does that mean if we are staying in a hotel on a B&B basis then we won’t get an evening meal anywhere on 24th?
snow report
@afinlay, I’m from Australia so very little experience but we’ve been in Austria at Christmas once before - in Kaltenbach in the Zillertal. We certainly received a special Christmas Eve dinner at our hotel. There was a Christmas tree and table decorations. The kids were even given a gift to unwrap. From memory it was an early night though. We had finished our meal by about 7.30pm.
snow conditions
@sbooker, Okay grand thank you. We’ll expect to eat early on Christmas Eve so Eh oh!
ski holidays
@afinlay, In a Hotel like Mannis I think they will have enough foreign staff that you won’t see much difference. Christmas Day will be like any other though, which is a bit weird in some ways. Slopes are quiet Christmas morning.
latest report
@Matrix, Oh great thanks. Mannis is more than likely where I’m going to book. Cheers Eh oh!
snow conditions
afinlay wrote:
@stanton, Actually I didn’t realise all that. So does that mean if we are staying in a hotel on a B&B basis then we won’t get an evening meal anywhere on 24th?

Frohe Weihnachten

Dec 24th

If you are staying in a Hotel on a Half/Full Board basis then its OK your get your food as normal & Dinner starts at 19:00 hrs (throughout the season)

Hotel on B&B basis you better request Dinner ..

Some Upmarket Hotels do offer a Gourmet "Weihnachten" Dinner for anyone (not just guests) .. You can expect to spend €100 min (ex Drinks) and you must book well in advance and they will insist on a deposit (non guests)

Hotel Bars (even for guests ) close at midnight or before on Xmas Eve ..

Also Apres Ski closes earlier on the Dec 24th..

I do not give advice but what I do ... is eat during the day (on the Hill ) then have an early evening be fresh & ready early for Xmas Day 25th becuase it could be the best POWDER DAY of your life Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway bottom line is.... Do Not expect a big party atmosphere on Xmas Eve like it is in the UK . It is quite the opposite from 19:00 hrs "QUIET " and expected to respect this..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164688
snow report
@stanton Is the UK a big party atmosphere on Christmas Eve? Really?

Note also, for St Anton, the apres ski is not on beginner slopes. You can, however, walk to the Krazy Kanguruh/Mooserwirt etc. Nice and Christmassy, mind - went there last year for Christmas and had a lovely time.

Also try Heidi.com who seem to put together packages based on scheduled flights so have lots more flexibility than Crystal etc. I've never used them, but I'd have a look.

Also consider DIY; fly to Innsbruck, get the train to St Anton, and you're there. Then you've anything that Booking.com or Hotels.com can offer you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Thanks for your feedback. Have booked Mannis in Mayrhofen with Crystal. Will check with them and see if they do dinner on Christmas Eve. I think you’re right about having an early night on Christmas Eve, sounds like a good idea. Thanks a mill Eh oh!
ski holidays
@James the Last, Thanks for your feedback. After much deliberation I have booked with Crystal. Appreciate the advice though and will bare it in mind for the future Eh oh!
ski holidays
@afinlay, this ski school in Mayrhofen do package deals including lessons and hire equipment.

https://www.mayrhofen3000.at/en/specials/offers/

4 hours of lessons a day will be great for the beginners.

I was hoping to do some work with them this winter, but my visa doesn't allow it.
snow report
@swskier, Great thanks a mill will check them out. Pity about your visa Eh oh!
snow conditions
what time do the ski lifts operate in Mayhofen?
ski holidays
@Gregors, https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/stories/mountopolis-prices-and-opening-hours-winter
snow report
Yes - agree Mayrhofen better bet for you needs. Skied in both, including Christmas in Mayrhofen last year. There was no snow in the valley but the slopes were absolutely fine. Was fairly quiet too & no major queues for the lifts that time of year (gets busier towards New Year), and think would make a great option for your group. If the skiing proved too tricky at Mayrhofen, you can get the bus down the valley to other parts of the Zillertal which are probably better suited to beginners.

@Geordieskier - I've holidayed with Exodus a number of times (although it was fair few years, ago pre-kids!). Great company and you'll meet nice likeminded people in your group. Plenty of people do their trips solo. Not sure if they still give you a free holdall when you book your trip, but ours are still going strong 10-15 years later! Have a great time!!
ski holidays
Quote:

@Gregors, https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/stories/mountopolis-prices-and-opening-hours-winter

Thank you i did go there but only found the summertime

next and opefully last question, were to most ski schools meet up, in town or on slopes

i like to get a few runs in with my daughter before going
snow conditions
@Gregors, top of the Penken so you can ski a few runs. We have tried a few schools and settled on these guys

https://en.skischoolmayrhofen.com/

Used to be called Skipro Austria.

Point to note. If you are a good skier you can get to Eggalm and back in the two hours available (when your kids at ski school) but it’s a push at busy times. We have been late due to lift lines. Luckily we had friends available to meet them.

There are a few lunch options around the lifts at the ski school. Best is a little secret place called Gschösswandhaus (off the back of the baby ski school area) or the Stieralm. The new Kasermandl also good.

Other restaurants further afield very good but you won’t be able to do that if you have morning and afternoon ski school.
ski holidays
@Matrix that's great info thank you

I'm not that good of a skier myself, might even book myself in yet
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy