Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has booked for the 2023-24 season?

Poster: A snowHead
All booked. Weeks in Les Menuires, New Year; Pyrenees, Half Term; Alpe d'Huez, March and Tignes, Easter

Might be able to squeeze in a couple more!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garfy1971, wow - do you have a job!?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Booked tignes 3rd Feb. Unless more released later not the greatest choice of flights to use Ben's Bus. Ended up on Swiss cheaper than easyjet and free ski carriage Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
@garfy1971, wow - do you have a job!?

Sadly, yes!

But working in education gives me extra (but expensive) holiday time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@garfy1971, so you are blowing all your money on skiing holidays - and just wasting the rest Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Booked, Val d'Isere for Christmas! Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Taking the family back to Montchavin in the La Plagne ski area again this year, except over Christmas thanks to being temporarily stuck with school holidays. Slightly nervous about early season but hey. We normally book the apartment when we get back from a trip http://www.notrereve-apartment.com. Driving from Aberdeen this time - wish us luck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@aberdeenski, you'll be fine, been many times to Les Coches at Christmas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach for 20th-27th Jan. Never been before but it looks good!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
@aberdeenski, you'll be fine, been many times to Les Coches at Christmas.

Thanks! Really looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
@garfy1971, so you are blowing all your money on skiing holidays - and just wasting the rest Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing

I'm justifying it by making sure I get good use out of my new skis and the boots I'll be buying this autumn

If I save €100 per trip on ski hire then that's at least most of the skis paid for this season, right? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garfy1971 wrote:

If I save €100 per trip on ski hire then that's at least most of the skis paid for this season, right? wink

Yeah but it works best if you go for two- or three-week trips, so you save more weeks’ ski hire each time you pay for carriage. Just saying like.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JayRo wrote:
garfy1971 wrote:

Yeah but it works best if you go for two- or three-week trips, so you save more weeks’ ski hire each time you pay for carriage. Just saying like.

Unless you fly with Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian Air with feee ski carriage, or BA where you can take a ski bag instead of checked bag
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
JayRo wrote:
garfy1971 wrote:

Unless you fly with Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian Air with feee ski carriage, or BA where you can take a ski bag instead of checked bag

I usually fly BA so that means I need more trips to save more on ski hire. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Booked all independently for Les Arcs in March for 2 adults 4 children

Eurostar to Paris return- £495 total
Train to Alps - £29 total as kids free
Liftpasses - £1,570 total
Accom Airbnb - £350 total
TGV back to Paris £100 estimate as more than ouigo for train down
Kids ski hire - £200 total adults have own gear

Total paid for weeks skiing excluding food/drink = £2,744 or £457pp
ski holidays
Macker13 wrote:

Sounds interesting - would you mind posting the travel times please? I looked into the train but it just didn't seem to work, for me, or you'd be on the train for 20 hours or something ridiculous. Once you get to the Alps have you got a transfer? Guessing no food is included in the above?
ski holidays
eps wrote:
Macker13 wrote:

Sounds interesting - would you mind posting the travel times please? I looked into the train but it just didn't seem to work, for me, or you'd be on the train for 20 hours or something ridiculous. Once you get to the Alps have you got a transfer? Guessing no food is included in the above?

6.05am Eurostar to Paris
10am ish train to Alps on ouigo

on way back trains arent available yet on SNCF website but timetable shows times.... but will be 10am ish back to paris from Bourg for 4pm arrival in Paris then 7.31 eurostar to London. Roughly 5 hours on train in france and 2 hours on eurostar for each journey.

As mentioned no food. I book restaurants each evening and budget £130 a night for meals and drinks for 2 adults 4 children.

No transfer required as arrive into Bourg and get funicular
snow report
Booked 2 weeks in middle of January in Val Thorens about 2 months ago! Getting itchy feet already. Driving down but stopping off in Moutiers for the night before hitting the pistes early the next morning!
latest report
Macker13 wrote:
eps wrote:
Macker13 wrote:

6.05am Eurostar to Paris
10am ish train to Alps on ouigo

on way back trains arent available yet on SNCF website but timetable shows times.... but will be 10am ish back to paris from Bourg for 4pm arrival in Paris then 7.31 eurostar to London. Roughly 5 hours on train in france and 2 hours on eurostar for each journey.

As mentioned no food. I book restaurants each evening and budget £130 a night for meals and drinks for 2 adults 4 children.

No transfer required as arrive into Bourg and get funicular

I'm more interested in what accommodation you get for £350! My best is around £1100 for a 2 bed in Le Bec Rouge, Tignes.
latest report
I'm guessing they're taking the funicular every day...
latest report
Yeah, an apartment for 6 for a week for £350 seems implausible.

@Macker13, your sure that's not something dodgy?
latest report
@Layne, I think it's a good deal but not implausible. I've seen well-reviewed 4-person Airbnb apartments in both BSM and in Arc 1600 listed for low season skiing dates for ~£35/night including fees in recent years, so around £250/week. Then add a bit for a 6-bed. Probably a shoebox apartment with little space to move around and basic facilities, but OK if that doesn't bother you.

If the March dates are during half term then I would be raising my eyebrows slightly.

(Tignes is always appreciably more expensive - £350 would be a struggle there.)
snow conditions
eps wrote:
I'm guessing they're taking the funicular every day...

nope staying in arc1800
latest report
Layne wrote:
Yeah, an apartment for 6 for a week for £350 seems implausible.

@Macker13, your sure that's not something dodgy?

have done it through airbnb for 8 seasons now. it's a small appartment 28m squared. 2 bunk beds and a double bed. It does the job. We eat out in the evenings and ski all day so hardly in it if not asleep.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@Layne, I think it's a good deal but not implausible. I've seen well-reviewed 4-person Airbnb apartments in both BSM and in Arc 1600 listed for low season skiing dates for ~£35/night including fees in recent years, so around £250/week. Then add a bit for a 6-bed. Probably a shoebox apartment with little space to move around and basic facilities, but OK if that doesn't bother you.

If the March dates are during half term then I would be raising my eyebrows slightly.

(Tignes is always appreciably more expensive - £350 would be a struggle there.)

Correct - ours is £50 a night for 28m squared small apartment. It has beds and a shower and is clean. We sleep in it and change in it. Does the job.
snow report
@Macker13, fair enough - that is a very good price.
latest report
Loving this thread as it fires me up to plan for the upcoming winter!

Currently undecided between Zell am See and Obertauern in Austria for the family week-long trip at half term. We've been to both, Zell last year but Obertauen was during my beginner days 15yrs ago.

The Zell option works well for the kids (3yo, 6yo) who enjoy the hotel amenities (its a kids hotel). Its also ski in-ski out, who works well for grand-parents who struggle/hate walking with ski boots. Zell is however a bit low, so it can be hot even in February. And ski area is not that big when excluding Saalbach/Kitzteinhorn (difficult to do with ski school pick ups/drop offs).

The Obertauern option is similarly priced, but resort is higher and bigger (from what I remember). It's also ski-in/ski-out. Hotel is more conventional, so kids will have less things to do. Reviews on SH seem to be quite mixed about Obertauern. It also adds another 2hrs drive I think.

Our Austria favorite for this annual family trip has been Serfaus, but prices have gone up 20/30/50% in the last 2,3 yrs. Not even talking about the places in Arlberg or Ischgl where we used to go pre-kids.

In terms of skiing abilities, everyone loves piste skiing on reds, except me who likes cruising but also off-piste snowboarding and touring. So curious to hear what SHs think about the two places for this.
latest report
Just booked (Verbier) 4 Vallées, in the satellite of La Tzoumaz for a long Weekend in December and our main trip Jan-Feb. The former we'll be wearing our St. Nicholas outfits to get the free skiing on 9th. Dec, and flying GVA/renting a car. Latter we'll be flying to GVA and taking the train at CHF 52 single (Train»Télépherique»PostBus).

Car rental prices seem to have subsided form the levels of the last two years, which is a positive. Our December automatic hatchback from Hertz is turning out at £42/day and being in the free Hertz Gold Club means we get an additional driver free and upgrade if available.

Just a warning re easyJet flight prices: there seems to be something on in/around Geneva on the weekend of the 3-4 Feb 2024, such that outbound flights including the preceding Thurs 1 and Fri 2 Feb are busy already (12.10.23) and much higher price than other days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

Echo that thought! I will now have to have a much harder look for accommodation (and maybe change resort)
ski holidays
Half term trip to Avoriaz is booked. Flights booked for a trip in early January, but we'll leave the resort until a bit nearer the time for that one, just to see what the conditions are like. Will be looking to book a trip at the end of January too, but haven't sorted that yet.
latest report
FrediKanoute wrote:
Layne wrote:

Echo that thought! I will now have to have a much harder look for accommodation (and maybe change resort)

I recently paid 673 Euros for 8 nights over Christmas at Les Coches (La Plagne) - booked through immoblierrre.

Out of interest if I do a search on airbnb the cheapest I can get is £635.
snow conditions
@Macker13, how do you get to London for a 6.05 train? Sadly by the time I've added in the hotel for an overnight stay in London or Paris and the very expensive train to London; flying to Geneva, or even Paris and catching the train there comes in less expensive.

But we'll done in pointing out that ski trips are possible at a respectable price, especially the £29 to get 6 of you from Paris to les arcs.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
Layne wrote:

I recently paid 673 Euros for 8 nights over Christmas at Les Coches (La Plagne) - booked through immoblierrre.

Out of interest if I do a search on airbnb the cheapest I can get is £635.

a lot of the cheaper ones are now booked up - but i've just searched arc1800 and found 2 for £500

One i've just seen is £31 a night when booked in advance but its already fully booked. You just have to get in early.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Macker13, how do you get to London for a 6.05 train? Sadly by the time I've added in the hotel for an overnight stay in London or Paris and the very expensive train to London; flying to Geneva, or even Paris and catching the train there comes in less expensive.

But we'll done in pointing out that ski trips are possible at a respectable price, especially the £29 to get 6 of you from Paris to les arcs.

Dad driving us to St Pancras and dropping us off. Although we'll have to now pay The Sadiq Tax £12.50
snow report
Val d'isere for Christmas for us then probably another trip end of Feb/beginning of March to somewhere Very Happy
snow report
Macker13 wrote:

Just had a massive win! Even cheaper now…Les Arcs went on sale today at 40% off so instead of £1570 lift passes for six, it was £942. £2116 total is £352pp
latest report
Another DIY trip for me to the Dolomites, slightly different this year, my wife’s joining me but won’t be skiing, she will walk and paint.
Flights to Venice on Thursday £200
2 nights in Venice seeing the off the beat locations and in a reasonable hotel so not included in ski hol costs
self drive to Val di Fassa £130 plus fuel, hopefully car hire costs will drop before we travel.
7 nights €60 pppn
Final night in Venice in a cheaper location before lunchtime flight on Sunday.

I’m planning a 2nd solo trip mid March, probably Aosta or Dolomites again, whichever is cheapest option.
latest report
Our rental agent has emailed out to say that bookings for Christmas week this year are much lower than usual. So that for owners who usually don't use their place for a Christmas trip because they'd lose the almost certain rental income, they might like to keep this open as a potential option this year, if the situation doesn't change. Of course, it may just be a localised thing, but the agency is implying that it's a reflection of financial retrenching amoung our catchment clients.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Our rental agent has emailed out to say that bookings for Christmas week this year are much lower than usual.

Certainly because almost no country in Europe will be out of school for Christmas Week.......
latest report
I am planning to visit Singapore probably next year. I just need to do more research about the places or tourist destination and the perfect time to visit there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy