Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest Women's Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yeah id say your wearing to many layers, and buy some good mits instead of gloves. The difference is night and day, no more cold fingers. I ski and board both in mits
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Hestra lobster claws too, and honestly, they're not that warm. I use ultrathin glove liners underneath if it's below -10C, and might so as far as to add a heat pack in between as well if it's closer to -20C. The good thing about the liners is that if I have to take my gloves off to fiddle with something, my hands are still fairly protected, to Scooter's point above.

If you find that swapping to fewer layers topped with a warmer down jacket doesn't do the trick, you could look into a battery heated gilet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it me, or does anyone else feel that there's a bit of common sense missing here? It's not rocket science.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreaC, but (I presume) you're skiing in Canada? Europe is typically a bit warmer (i.e. -20 degrees is pretty cold and unusual, IME).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, yeah, and Ski Welt at that – with terrain between 600m-2000m, not exactly known for its low temperatures, which is why I suspect something else is going on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember this year we also skied in Austria and it was crazy cold couple of days ie -20C. Our solution was to get puffers on top of shells and just get into restorante every hour and half, as the main problem was that feets in the boots get very cold (heated insoles would help but not sure we are ready to spend that money just for couple of super cold days per season in the Alps)

As for ski wear, for colder days:
norrona Lofoten Insulated ski jacket and pants, or shells, that will depend on how active you are
norrona wool base layer
norrona warm3 is their warmest fleece. Im using norrona lofoten hilloflex200 is also very warm, also have their thinner thermal pro fleece is super nice.

Just get into any norrona store and they help you depending on your requests. Your could also book digital tour on their web site.

The whole idea of layers is to manupulate with base layer and middle layer. If too hot , the middle layer can be removed or substited with thinner middle layer. As for outer layers, Im using shells for a anything to -15, then on colder days I use jacket with primaloft insulation. I also carry puffer jacket in the backpack for extreem cold or emergencies. I remember we skied one very cold and windy spring day in France, there were no wind shields on the chairs, so I had to put on the puffer jacket on top of the light shell every way up and remove it on descent.

HTH
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed48 wrote:

Just get into any norrona store and they help you depending on your requests.

HTH

Help you to remove a couple of grand from your bank account.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Norrona is crazy expensive, but they have outlet store were previous season models are upto 50% off, which makes them unbeatable for quality and technical features at this price.
Ive got their lofoten pro pants for 3-4 seasons ie about 100 ski days offpiste, they are bulletproof and look almost like new. The only weak point is zippers, one zipper on backpocket is went off, I could replace zipper by warranty, but I never use this backpocket and Im fine, as its allways under long jacket. Other zipper are still in place abd looking fine. The best thing is they have 5 years warranty and if subscribe to their loyality programm, I got 7 years, who else doint 7 years warranty, this is unheard of.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ed48, I'm head to toe Trollveggen goretex pro with warm2 and 3 underneath. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ed48, problem with Norrona, other than the colours, is they're built for athletic scandis, and while I'm quite slim I'm only 168cms tall Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear a big Goretex baggy shell jacket so I can layer up underneath it. Usually wear a down jacket plus a combo of mid layers. Keeping your wrists and neck warm is key also!

On cold days, put your hood up over your helmet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@AndreaC, but (I presume) you're skiing in Canada? Europe is typically a bit warmer (i.e. -20 degrees is pretty cold and unusual, IME).

Yes - but Whistler is my home mountain and it's very mild here most of the time, because of the proximity to the ocean. At -15C a large % of people say it's too cold to ski etc & there's probably no more than 15-20 days all season when this happens. I actually relish when it gets this cold because the slopes are a bit quieter then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The jacket needs to be breathable and waterproof. Under layers are the best way to improve warmth when it is colder. Thermal tops and fleeces.

Having said that I generally wear a very warm cheap jacket, which is not particularly waterproof. (I tend not to ski when it is raining or snowing) The very waterproof jacket I have is very thin and really only keeps wind and rain out.

I have skied in -40c with wind chill factor with the thin waterproof jacket. Needed to stop for coffees often.

Facemasks, helmets, and full face goggles help keep cold out, as well as a good music selection.

I have also skied without a jacket and with jeans or shorts. Need a lot of sunscreen in those conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I myself have switched to the warm merino jacket with gloves, socks and all the underwear too, and it really is the warmest thing for skiing!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When you say you are cold, is that referring to core temp, or hands and feet? Solutions are different.
General thinking is, keep the core temp up, and the body doesn’t have to bring in circulation from the extremities. If core is cold, then somehow it needs more insulation.

A tip I got from Mongolian winters; do not step outside doing your jacket up. Do your jacket up (and put your hat on), then step outside. But your problem sounds deeper than that.
Good luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy