Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest Women's Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Please can you send me your recommendations for a super warm women's ski jacket.

I always feel REALLY cold even though I'm layering up.

I also don't like the bulky feeling all the layers give me so was hoping that a super warm jacket would do the trick.

At present I've been wearing..... a merino wool Airblaster Ninja Suit for my base layer, Fleece Mid-Layer, then a little light fleece-lined gilet, and finally, a Spyder Prime GTX Ski Jacket (and pants).... Oh and not to forget Merino wool socks, Hestra Lobster gloves and my base layer hood pulled up under my helmet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just wear a base mid and a Helly hensen jacket, good gloves and good merino socks, I don't suffer the cold too much unless it's a really really cold day. What your wearing seems to be quite good so I'm not sure what you can do to improve on it. My Daughter has reynauds, and her hands and feet are her biggest problem, so she wears glove liners. Ski faster and stay on the sunny side, lol.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe you'd be better off trying one of those heated vest things. You can buy cheap ones for about £30 or so to try, obviously you'll get better ones for more - mate wears one on his motorbike in winter under leathers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks @biddpyat, I appreciate your reply.

Please can you tell me which Helly Hansen jacket you use as I've been looking at the Powder Queen but still not sure if this will cut the mustard! Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh excellent idea @Richard_Sideways, I never thought of that.

Will most certainly look into it. Many thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Nervous Nellie, A super warm jacket will be great until you start moving, get sweaty and then get chilled from the damp. Or until you ski on a warm day.

Where are you skiing? Interior Canada or balmy Italy will have different requirements. Also what time of year? Temperatures can be variable through the season, but if you're really suffering contemplate travelling in March rather than January, and maybe heading somewhere like the Dolomites which gets a lot of sun and tends to be fairly warm on average.

I agree that you appear to be wearing a good set of layers – merino base + fleece + fleece gilet + insulated jacket. Are you sure you're not getting sweaty? Personally, I would need it to be at least -20C to even contemplate all that, and in Europe it rarely gets that cold. Does your ski day involve standing around a lot or other circumstances where you might get very cold?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Scarlet, thanks for your questions to try and get to the bottom of this... we ski mainly in Austria in January. We tend to do a lot of the ski welt villages. We have also skied in March, which I agree with you was much warmer. However, the slush was horrendous so I wouldn't do it again.

I do tend to be a cold creature so it's not unusual for me to be freezing and everyone else to feel nice and toasty. So I'm pretty sure it's not a sweat issue.

We don't tend to do a lot of standing either around unless we're grabbing lunch or on the ski lifts.

I know lots of people say a warm jacket might a hindrance on a warm day but at this stage it's a risk I'm willing to take in the hope that I'll eventually feel nice and warm on most of the days. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do wonder, from your comment "the bulky feeling all the layers give me", whether you've got so many layers on that they're compressing each other, which effectively drives the insulating air out of them and defeats the object. If they feel tight then this will be the case, so you may want to think about an oversize outer layer that allows them to feel relatively loose underneath. This is equally valid whether it's an outer shell with lots of mid layers (of reducing sizes) or a very thick jacket with fewer layers. The corollary of this is that it also helps to reduce sweatiness should that become an issue.

Similarly for hands and feet, sometimes there's a low of diminishing returns, the more socks or glove liners you wear the more compressed they become, and in some cases may get tight enough to reduce circulation as well, just adding to the problem.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I never thought of that @Chaletbeauroc, thanks so much.

I'll look at going up a size maybe on the next jacket and hopefully that will do the trick.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Daughter got this Jacket from TK Maxx a couple of years ago - so it is probably discontinued. It is really warm, with 160g Insulation - but isn't the very warmest they do, which I think is 220g. She has Raynauds and was warm and comfortable in Jan temperatures. IMV. Any hotter might be an issue while skiing. https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Killtec-Cimetta-WMN-Womens-Jacket/dp/B08FBXQND7?th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

The specs are:

Removable Hood
Powder Skirt
Inside Pockets
Thumbhole Wrist Gaiters
Taped Seams
Insulated
Wrist Gaiters
Adjustable Cuffs
Pass Pocket
Faux Fur
Large Interior Pocket
Water-Resistant Coating
Waist Pockets
Adjustable Hood

Fit: Relaxed
Waterproofing: 8/10
Insulation Type: Synthetic
Seam Sealing: Fully Taped
Breathability Rating (grams): 5000
Waterproof Rating (mm): 10000
Warmth: 9/10
Insulation Amount (grams): 160

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 16-08-23 14:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was wondering about the compressed layer issue too – is your outer jacket quite tight fitting? It's possible that your problem could be solved by, counterintuitively, removing a layer (the fleece, the gilet or even both as your jacket is insulated) to allow more air inside. You can test this theory at home on a cold day before committing on the slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you so much @Old Fartbag, I really appreciate the recommendation.

It's great that your daughter loves it and it does the trick warmth wise.

I'll take a good look now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This could well be the issue @Scarlet, as my jacket isn't super tight but it's definitely snugger than a super loose jacket.

I'm going to look at something a bit looser for the next one.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What you wear on your head makes a big difference. A second thin hat under your helmet and a hood that is large enough to go over your helmet, particularly on chairlifts, will help Retain heat and shelter you from a cold wind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If hands get cold - consider heated glove liners.....Also, maybe a Primaloft or Down Gilet like the FJERN
Womens Aktiv Down Gilet (Navy/Rust) from Sportpursuit @£59.99.
ski holidays
Thanks for your recommendations @Peter S, and @Old Fartbag, .

I'll be sure to check them out.
latest report
Heated boots!

Cold feet makes for cold core. As the body is sending all the warm blood to the feet, leaving the rest of the body cold. No amount of layers on the body can compensate for cold feet.
latest report
If your aim is heat - here is the Killtec KSW 210 Quilted Insulated Ski Jacket (Women's) - which is not quite as waterproof as some, but should easily cope with moderate snow: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Killtec+KSW+210+Quilted+Insulated+Ski+Jacket+%28Women%27s%29&crid=32TT2SLBS32Z6&sprefix=killtec+ksw+210+quilted+insulated+ski+jacket+women%27s+%2Caps%2C172&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=amz07b-21

Removable Hood
Powder Skirt
Inside Pockets
Thumbhole Wrist Gaiters
Insulated
Wrist Gaiters
Pass Pocket
Faux Fur
Interior Media Pocket
Soft Chin Guard
Water-Resistant Coating
Waist Pockets
Chest Pockets
Stretch Fabric
Adjustable Hood

Fit: Relaxed
Waterproofing: 6/10
Warmth: 10/10
Insulation Type: Synthetic
Length (inches): 26.5
Seam Sealing: No Seam Sealing
Breathability Rating (grams): 3000
Insulation Amount (grams): 220
Waterproof Rating (mm): 10000
snow report
I wear long sleeve t shirt, short sleeve t shirt, hoodie, Wedze ski jacket from decathlon with skirt and sleeve thumb glove, if the weather is set to be really cold (-20c or lower at resort level) i put out my Oex bamboo thermals on (i have a wool allergy). Never been cold.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-ski-jacket-fr500-terracotta/_/R-p-329803?mc=8640392&c=brown
snow conditions
I use the Helly Hansen aphelia, which is light weight but warm. I used to showjump and hunt, so on really wet, cold windy days here in the west of Ireland, I know a good fleece is worth it's weight in gold, so if your buying fleeces, try the equestrian shops for fleece waistcoats and jackets. just an idea. Or buy from a proper ski company, . I know how difficult it is to stay warm, I hear my daughter complain of the same thing, we are all boiling and she is freezing, even though she skis hard, but standing about doesn't suit her either, unless in the sunshine.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, great prices on those jackets, Im sorry I looked now. Can't justify buying another jacket.
snow report
My layers on top half:
Thin merino base, thin or medium weight merino hoody or similar on top (both figure hugging and not bulky), then a lightweight down jacket (700 fill) and finally a quality waterproof shell jacket on top. I always wear good neck buff which is tucked under my helmet at the back and invariably just under my nose at the front. (All you get to see is the tip of my nose peeking out from below my goggles!) Good goggles and a well fitting helmet are also important.

My light weight down jacket is the thing that makes all the difference-purchased years ago when the temps were -26degC. It doesn't feel bulky. My old one is a rather tatty north face version, but I also have a Fjern Women's Aktiv Down Hooded Jacket (used for dog walks mostly) which is one of the best value down jackets you can buy IMHO. It's sold through sportpursuit.com-I think it's their own brand product in fact-currently £90. It's possibly a bit of a faff/expense to buy a shell to go on top, but I think it offers versatility-as you get another outer jacket to wear if it's raining at any time of year and a nice slim fitting light puffy jacket for going out in the evening in a ski resort without the bulk.

I too have Hestra lobster mitts, but with some glove liners underneath-I have a nice thin soft knit pair from Oakley (the latter make all the difference, even though I still get cold hands). In the worst case scenario I add some hand warmer sachets.
I wear three quarter length merino thermals under insulated ski trousers too and take care to ensure there's no gap between the top of my socks and the bottom of my thermals.
My extremities (toes and fingers) do get cold, but not too bad. I've heard good things from friend about "boot gloves" for cold feet (neoprene covers that go over the outside of your boots). I think it's a biological fact that women just do get colder extremities-it's just one of those things! Skiing hard and fast and not standing around helps!
snow conditions
@Perty,
Quote:

I think it's a biological fact that women just do get colder extremities

I think there just isn't enough research into Reynauds...

@Nervous Nellie, not sure why you have a bulky feeling? and
Quote:

a merino wool Airblaster Ninja Suit (doesn't look unreasonable?) for my base layer, Fleece Mid-Layer, (fair enough?) then a little light fleece-lined gilet (not convinced that's adequate) and finally, a Spyder Prime GTX (I don't know but 100g insulation sounds a bit light and an insulated jacket isn't quite proper layering but close enough I guess).

No idea why you think that's bulky as it doesn't sound it. Soe people just feel the cold? Mrs U has Raynaud's and uses heated glove liners and socks. Otherwise she literally couldn't ski.
ski holidays
Polartec power-strech base layer/ heated gilet / down or synthetic insulated jacket. Toasty and not too bulky (depending on the fill of the insulated jacket) Very Happy
latest report
Mrs really suffers, what has helped her is heated gloves and heated socks/footbeds. When the body is cold, blood flow is concentrated into the core to maintain core temp around the major organs. It could be that heating you're extremities helps to maintain core temp too. She has Sidas beds/socks and some glove liners in the same Hestra's you have. For her it's game-changing, March also makes a difference even if you go higher, the sun is warm and the snow doesn't slush up as much as lower resorts.
ski holidays
Someone mentioned above about keeping your head warm with a lightweight hat under your helmet - have you considered a balaclava? We ski in really cold conditions (January in Canada) and the warming effect of keeping the sides of my face covered makes a huge difference. I echo what others have said, don't just focus on your body - give lots of thought to extremities so your body isn't working too hard to keep these warm.
snow conditions
Thailand is nice in the winter. Might be better suited to you?

Beach, bucket of sangsom, palm trees. Actually that's sounds pretty darn good!
snow report
Lots of good advice already, but look at getting some insulated bib trousers with a high bib. They keep the air off your lower back and hold much more heat in your core. Something like this https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/w-legendary-insulated-bib-pant-65800?color=291445
You can even add insulated shorts under your bibs if you're still cold - https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/w-lifaloft-full-zip-insulator-65703?color=290653

Couple that with a down layer under your shell jacket and you should be toasty.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! Really impressed and appreciative of all the great advice and recommendations here.

Thanks so much folks!

Some good clothing recommendations that I'll look into and I'll also look at how I dress such as not having clothes too tight so all the warm air is squished out.

Thanks again everyone.

(If all this fails I might just hop over to Thailand after all @Gainz, Laughing )
ski holidays
@Nervous Nellie, this is Mrs Radar cold weather choice Arc'teryx gore-tex down ski jacket that is full length, covers her glutes. Bamboo vest with a merino T over it and a merino mid layer BAM, Icebreaker, Finisterre, 3/4 lengths leggings Odlo, padded ski trousers Arc'teryx & CMP Campagnolo

Findra merino neck warmer

Merino ski socks, can't remember the make but they are thin ones, I use Teko

Hestra Fall Line Mitt

We got a lot of our Arc'teryx gear from Sportspursuit

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 18-08-23 16:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Insulation: down-without question.
Length: long-cover your butt.

The other bits have been covered. I guess I'll mention down pants, which are pretty nice when it is sub-zero f.

Also a behavioral note: I have friends who "have cold hands", but what I really have are friends who complain about cold hands after repeatedly taking their gloves off to needlessly answer their phone or take photos when its really cold. One has to have a little discipline when it is cold, use your head.
snow report
Second the (multiple) recommendation of head cover. Helmet liner, neck gaiter, balaclava etc.

I often seen people who dress like “Michelin man” in their mid-section yet neglected the top and bottom end of their body!

Keep your head and feet warm (with boot heaters). You’ll need a lot less “layers” in you mid-section!
snow conditions
@Nervous Nellie, I was pondering this. Skiing is a "quasi" dynamic sport, in two senses, one being that you don't really move your muscles very much, usually, and two in that if you aren't running races, bumps of powder, there is often quite a bit of standing around, especially in mixed groups.

So if you tend to feel the cold, and aren't doing any hard work, down is probably a good idea (synthetic too) at least as mid layer. But equally if you're a girl and feel the cold in your hand, feet or both (especially when it's not actually that cold), it's not just sensitivity but probs Raynaud's and our experience is that artificial assistance with heating is required.
latest report
Thanks again folks. I won’t reply back to you all individually but I do appreciate each and every one of your suggestions.

Some really good info and recommendations here.

I’m definitely going to look at the other areas of my body too such as keeping head and hands warm and dry. I’m not one for taking gloves on and off constantly but some liners wont go amiss from the sounds of things.
latest report
@Nervous Nellie, Sounds obvious but also make sure you eat a full breakfast. the heat goes from extremities to warm the core so if you haven't enough fuel inside then the extremities will get neglected and cold. I used to just snack at breakfast and had cold hands on occasions, now fully fuelled no issues.
snow conditions
@Nervous Nellie, definitely make sure your ski trousers come up well above your waist-whether bib style or simple trousers. I have a pair of trousers by Picture that has an elasticated second waist band above the normal one that comes up over my kidneys so everything stays snug and tucked inside..no draughty bits! (Sadly falling apart, so I'm on the hunt for something similar) My insulation under ski trousers can vary from the day to day merino to quilted bloomer type things for very cold days or for under shell trousers (sportpursuit again-I think mine are Elevenate). Oh yes-there was a fashion from some merino designers a few years ago for women's thermal bottoms to come up to below belly button level. Nooooo! Make sure they cover your bum and more!
ski holidays
Hahaha thanks @Perty, I will most certainly make sure my bum is covered!

I’m loving the sound of big warm bloomers… lol
snow conditions
@Nervous Nellie, I would definitely agree with most that have said you're wearing too many/ ill fitting layers.

Merino wool base layer
Warm mid layer
160+g insulation for jacket/ or down but can be too bulky
Insulated bib pants is a good idea
Buff and Facemask
Lined helmet
Great pair of mitts

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
Cheers @Gainz,

Yes, I’m starting to realise that I’ve been dressing all wrong (too tight layers) so have taken so very good tips and advice from all the good people here.

I’m sure the next trip in a few months time will be much toastier affair.
snow report
Nervous Nellie wrote:
Hahaha thanks @Perty, I will most certainly make sure my bum is covered!

Bum, neck, wrist…

Basically, all the “interface” between different pieces of clothing needs to be protected. Ideally, they should overlap a fair amount so that even when you’re moving, twisting, bending, those in-between areas don’t get exposed to the cold air to work its way into your body.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy