Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen at half term - popular with Brit. familes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, is Mayrhofen a popular half term destination for British familes, or one of those more German/etc dominated?

Looking at it for next year but have a slightly shy 11 year old who's enjoyment of ski school is directly linked to the number of other English children in her group. OK, there's no guarantee of getting into a mainly English group even in a resort popular with Brits but if I'm recommending somewhere known to lack Brits I'm just making a rod for my own back...or for her parent's backs at least Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are loads of Brits in Mayrhofen. We were there in term time, the week before Easter, and the ski school class was half English, half German. I'd imagine there are more Brits in holiday time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
definitely lot of brits...many teachers also von GB or Netherlands who speak also Englisch (as almost all from AUT)
ok not like in FR but more than other parts of AUT
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zillertal is also very popular with Dutch. UK half term next year overlaps Netherlands and depending which week you are there could also be a lot of Germans. I have limited experience with Dutch kids of 11 but all of the 14 year olds I have come across can speak reasonable English.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be sure of English-speaking company (and native-English teaching) maybe look at one of the British ski schools - plenty of advice here about them. Does it have to be Austria?

I have a lot of experience of kids in local French ski schools and whilst I know there are masses of excellent German and French-speaking ski instructors, if the majority of kids in the class are French, the chat will be mostly French and that's easier for some kids than others. Some don't take much notice, whatever language is being spoken and just ski around in their own little world.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, i don't think there are any British ski schools specifically in Mayrhofen (or the Zillertal). It's a niche i've noticed and am thinking about in the future as we move to the area at the end of July. Something i'm thinking about a couple of years down the line.

There is 1 instructor in the Zillertal I know of that is english, SH's very own @SaraJ, albeit she's not based in Mayrhofen, but further down the valley. I'm sure there must be some British instructors in Mayrhofen though.

Certainly, i'm looking in to working weekends in a ski school during peak holidays if I can....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

i don't think there are any British ski schools specifically in Mayrhofen (or the Zillertal)

No, indeed, which is why I asked whether it had to be Austria. If the top priority is for English speaking ski classes there are probably better options in France, in resorts frequented by the half-term hordes. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, bodes well for my potential little plan. Incidentally I had been talking to Mrs Swskier about this last week, and had looked at Maison Sport to see how many instructors advertise on there. There's the sum total of 1 instructor on there.

I need to find out what the rules etc are about working privately in Austria, as well as tick off the last couple of L3 modules, and then it's something i'll be looking in to properly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

No, indeed, which is why I asked whether it had to be Austria. If the top priority is for English speaking ski classes there are probably better options in France, in resorts frequented by the half-term hordes. wink

you'd think so, but I don't recall my kids ever being in an all English speaking group other than with Esprit Ski.
My kids prefer Austrian ski schools for what that's worth
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My kids also spoke higher of their Austrian ski lessons, over french one even with Esprit. They also liked the Italian ones. Their best French lesson was when they had an Italian instructor in France.

Edit: although that Italian instructor did teach me children some new words.... not entirely age appropriate but they had fun
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit, I haven't contributed yet to this because I don't actually know.
I know that Mayrhofen is popular with British tourists. Whenever I go there all I hear are British voices but I can't say for sure if your friend's daughter would end up in a class with mostly English children.
The instructors are likely to be Dutch or Austrian. I would expect that most instructors in Mayrhofen can speak reasonable English.
I'm based at the other end of the valley, in Hochfügen and Hochzillertal. We get very few British and lots of Dutch and German.

@swskier, Don't get your hopes up too high... You'll need a lot more than Level 3 to teach independently here. I'll dig out some links and send you a PM.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, I get the impression that there are some powerful reasons why the British ski schools have not set up shop in Austria. wink

I have nothing at all against Austrian ski schools - have done two weeks, one with an entirely German speaking group. I could speak some German (O level) and people were friendly and tolerant of my very limited German. A lovely Dutch nun in the group translated essentials for me. Once with an instructor who spoke flawless English having taught in Loughborough for years. My daughter coped OK when she was 4 with an instructor who spoke no English, because she discovered she loved skiing! But she would probably have been happier in a group where she could chat a bit.

One consideration is whether the ski school is half day only (usual in France) or all day (quite often in Austria). There are arguments for both.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So to answer some of the questions...

1) Why/does it have to be Austria?
I started skiing in/used to go every year to Austria and love the overall skiing experience. These days I tend to do 3 weeks/season, usually the PSB, a guided off piste week in the PdS, and a week with friends/their children. So far those friend weeks have been Oz en Oisan, Avoriaz, and Morzine - so very much the French idea of a ski resort/holiday. This year I'd like to show them the Austrian version and also go somewhere where I actually need to look at the piste map/don't know what I'm going to order before we even walk in a particular restaurant Smile

Additionally we can still get <£300pp flights to Munich.

2) How English?
I'm not looking for any guarantee of an all English group or anything, just trying to get an idea if it's likely there will be other English speaking children in the group or not - hell even going to a Brit-popular resort can't guarantee that as she ended up in a mainly French group in Avoriaz the year before last (though late on day 1 wouldn't have helped Very Happy).

Much as I like Ischgl it didn't make the list for this trip as what I like about it is the relative lack of Brits so high change of no other English speakers in a childrens ski school group for example.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i dont think you could find more Brits in Austria somewhere else except Mayrhofen, St.Anton and maybe Flachau?
however most of the instructors speak a little bit or more English. I dont think would be a problem.
And already said, it will be possible that the instructors are Dutch, who speak relativ good English
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mjit, as others have said we there will be lots of british children.

They also do a race at the end of the week which my kids always loved. Only seem to get that in Austria and Italy
latest report
OK, sounds like I can tell her mum not to worry too much about it then Smile

Never mind the race at the end of the week, the fact they don't seem to compress the lesson length so they can squeeze 3 sessions/day in and meet at the top of the gondola not the bottom before queuing for the first 10min of the lesson are benefits of Austria over France in my book! (though the 3 lesson thing/booking the middle one did make mornings more pleasent - the 11 year old is NOT a morning person...).
latest report
@Mjit, season just gone we were in Kirchberg, hoch zillertal, serfaus and ischgl with our kids. The exception of Ischgl most brits have never heard of those ski resorts. The 5 weeks in ski school there were lots of English speaking kids which my 2 made mates with, non were from England. There were German, Polish(my kids speak Polish though), Swiss even Monacan(Monaco) kids. The ski instructors all spoke very good English
snow report
@SaraJ,
Some very interesting info,you seem to be a mine of information on the Zillertal region.I have PM on a different matter entirely , I think my message system does no work very well.
Regards
Forst
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy