Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
@buchanan101, worth a look at Stuben if you don't want mad apres IMHO
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munich_irish wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Lech-Zürs (which is and was always one skiarea)

A unified ski area with no linking pistes........

Weird comment.
Since 1957
https://www.derweissering.ski/en/the-most-legendary-ski-circuit/history
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@buchanan101, Zürs is an odd place. I assume it was originally no more than a huddle of shepherd's huts effectively at the Flexenpass only used in summer. These days there are a number of 4 star hotels plus a 5 star one, a few apartment blocks and not much else (ski hire shop). I presume it attracts a well off clientele who are happy to remain in the hotels and not mix with the hoi polloi, the only permanent residents being service staff for the hotels. Anyone interested in life outside of this would need to go to Lech (presume the buses run in the evenings though if you can afford to stay in Zürs then the cost of taxis is neither here nor there) or St Anton. When I first went it seemed rather stuck in a time warp with, what seemed like, an ancient cable car to Trittkopf and an equally venerable chairlift (with long queues) to Madloch. The skiing infrastructure has certainly improved in recent years (some would say not for the better!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Langerzug, @munich_irish Thanks for clarifying. I take the point about the St Anton area, will just have to see what conditions are like. She managed spring skiing with sugary moguls in Val T the other year on the EoSB. I'll probably end up doing a recon trip over on my own to validate the route before bringing Mrs Russeh along. Hoping to get her to some of the end of day Apres in St Anton, then bus it back to Lech. I think it's doable if Steissbachtal is open. There and back with her is probably not realistic
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having continuously, almost, skied the Arlberg since the 70s I agree with both@munich_irish, @Langerzug, on their interpretations of the ski area, in their own view.
Not sure that the Steissbachtal piste can be relied upon to be open.
@Langerzug, is correct on the lift projects for Warth.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
Zürs is an odd place.

I stayed in Zurs for the first time a couple of weeks back, only because I got a deal at one of those 4* hotels. I reckon that Zurs is now the bottleneck if your timing is wrong as the St Anton hordes using the Flexenbahn and Madloch combination to ski to Lech end up round about the same time. Zurs is a great location to stay to ski Lech-Warth-Schroken ahead of the hordes, take the ski bus into Lech after you ski the best parts of Zurs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The St.Anton hordes have never been an issue in Lech/Warth. At the time they reach Lech, many of them are getting hungry, and another contingent goes on to Warth, or they already switch over to the Rüfikopf, and there is plenty of lifts and space in Oberlech anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We seemed to have digressed from the infamous OP's actual thread title.... wink

No bad thing perhaps...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Russeh, Bus back to Lech is pretty easy though note they now go from the train station forecourt not the bus station. Last one is 7ish
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
We seemed to have digressed from the infamous OP's actual thread title.... wink

No bad thing perhaps...

On that topic, what are people's thoughts on weather from this weekend onwards? I can read weather charts / models reasonably well but the interaction with the Foehn winds is above my pay grade......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am there this weekend, looks like a Föhn storm for the weekend some sunshine and maybe a few snowflakes. Monday & Tuesday no Föhn but cloud and precipitation (snow mid mountain , village uncertain as to rain or snow). Wednesday onwards nice conditions no snow. Henri's written forecasts at Wepowder are as good as any though the automatic algorithm is not really that useful, the forecasts on the tourist office website not bad either though often on the pessimistic side when it comes to snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rebelbrowser,
Just use the Austrian weather service ZAMG, and choose Vorarlberg (not Tirol!). Ski Arlberg has 90% Vorarlberg weather.
Weekendd looks quite nice, very mild, Föhn is gonna clear the skies around Arlberg. Storm on Sunday. No snow (Little snow only around the border to Italy, alpine main ridge)

https://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/wetter-oesterreich/vorarlberg/heute_vormittag
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can anyone advise- is there another bus than runs from St Anton to Lech, other than the 760?

We are staying at Haus Sattelblick on the alte alberstaBe and were told that we can catch a bus to Lech right outside our hotel. The only bus I can see is the 760, which doesn’t stop near us.

Any help is appreciated
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fox15, The 760 is the only bus, it stops at a couple of places on the Arlbergstrasse which could be near your hotel, probably not. The alternative is to get on the the ski bus that runs down the Alte Arlbergstrasse to the bus station and walk across to the train station for the 760. The usual ones are either at 08:40 or 09:10, just under 30 mins to Zürs and 35 mins or so to Lech. Cost is around €5 cash only!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fox15, No, there is just one bus between Lech and St.Anton.
Could this be a mix-up between Alte (old) Arlbergstrasse and (new) Arlbergstrasse? The bus is on the latter one...
snow report
The weather on St Anton wasnt great today. Cloudy and warm, more like April. Zero degree level 2200m. Tomorrow is expected to be even warmer but with some nice sun so it should be possible to get up as high as possible. Friday looks like maybe a bit of snow. Theres plenty of snow here but anything below 1800m is spring skiing conditions.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Russeh, Bus back to Lech is pretty easy though note they now go from the train station forecourt not the bus station. Last one is 7ish

Oh i would have gone to the bus station! thanks for the tip. Is it free do you know?
snow conditions
@Russeh, Not free as it is a postbus not a ski bus, cash only (much to the bemusement of Asian tourists) it is around €5 to Zürs I cant think it is much if any more to Lech.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, cool still cheaper than a taxi
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Russeh, Not free as it is a postbus not a ski bus, cash only (much to the bemusement of Asian tourists) it is around €5 to Zürs I cant think it is much if any more to Lech.

Not just Asian tourists... In Ellmau in January I never used cash, I don't think I used any last year in Selva. Get a better rate with a Curve debit card (0% currency transaction fee)

Are there many Asian tourists in the Arlberg? I've only ever seen any in Wengen/Murren (and there were loads there)
snow report
stanton wrote:
British Holidaymakers (Hooligans) in mass brawl and we are only just getting into the Mad Fighting High Season

In St. Anton am Arlberg, famous for its wild party life, two groups of British holidaymakers clashed on Sunday evening, the Tyrolean police reported on Tuesday.

It is not uncommon for there to be punches between tourists in Tyrolean ski resorts during the winter season. But this case is not an everyday occurrence.

Because in a brawl between the opponents in St. Anton, a 29-year-old Briton was bitten off the tip of his nose. The perpetrator was able to escape unrecognized.

After first aid, the 29-year-old was admitted to the hospital in Zams and then to the hospital in Innsbruck.

The 29-year-old is said to have lost about half a centimeter of his nose due to the attack.

Quarrel started in pub

According to the police, there was initially a dispute between two groups in a restaurant. A person is believed to have been injured, who then went outside with two friends around 8 p.m. According to the police, some members of the other group also left the restaurant a short time later.

The friends of the already injured man went after the men and then attacked them surprisingly with massive punches and kicks.

There was a scuffle between the people, with one of the attacked, the 29-year-old Briton, having his nose bitten off by one of the unknown men.

After the people were separated, the attackers fled in the direction of the pedestrian zone of St. Anton am Arlberg.

https://kurier.at/chronik/tirol/st-anton-tirol-nasenspitze-abgebissen/402769672

Update...

The 50yr old British Hooligan has probably taken his last Ski vacation & any Holidays in the EU , USA and anywhere else that bars people with ciminal records

Probably going to trial and faces upto 10 years in Jail

"""The public prosecutor's office has brought charges against the Briton, who is said to have bitten off his compatriot's nose during an argument. """"

"""The Briton is intentionally accused of grievous bodily harm. He would face up to ten years in prison."""

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/tirol/nase-beim-apres-ski-abgebissen/587242668

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

Tomorrow Friday 1 March

Snowing (not much) down to almost Town elevation
ski holidays
@buchanan101, In Skiwelt / Kitzbühel the public buses are included during skiing hours for those with valid ski passes not so the Arlberg. Not only confused Asian tourists, a couple of weeks back a fair sized group of Swiss visitors got on at Mooserkreuz, they were very perplexed that no cards were accepted only cash, after various rummaging in pockets etc a 100 Swiss Franc note was produced which the driver accepted on a basis of 1:1 with change in Euros Smile
latest report
@munich_irish, i just read your post again. On no cash only, what is this the 1980s again. By the way where is the Mooserkreuz bus stop? I thought the Mooserkreuz was the bar which is on the home run back into Galzig part of town?
latest report
@Russeh, thats the Mooserwirt, MooserKreuz is a few miles out of town.
snow report
Ok i'm confusing Mooserkreuz with Mooserwirt
snow report
@blkball yeah just realised that haha Laughing
snow report
@Russeh, The Mooserkreuz is the stop not far from the Mooserwirt. I believe (though might be wrong) that the bar takes its name from the location, which is a fairly common Austro Bavarian usage of "Moos" which roughly translates as marsh or bog.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/WQVjWAnqR7c?

http://youtube.com/v/xwHXtEfwSh8?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in St Anton for the weekend. Trains yesterday as busy as ever (if you are using the trains book a seat, it is easy and saves a lot of faff). Have to compliment the folk at Jennewein, they are not the cheapest for ski hire but if you want good skis then they have the best selection and the staff are so helpful & knowledgeable (Alber & Intersport fine too but Jennewein just better). Have come to like the Dorfstuben after discovering that they have Tegernsee beer (top Bavarian beer) on draught, for some reason most people get Steigel which has not got any better since I first came to Austria in the mid 80s!. Lots of Brits around but no sign of fighting or biting noses.

Got the bus to Zürs this morning (Arlberg pass & Galzig in a layer of clagg, very murky) as we dropped out of the cloud, blue sky was apparent to the west down the Klostertal. Great piste skiing in hazy sunshine. The pistes were firm with a top layer of bashed powder, fast but very flattering for ski technique. Täli top run as ever. Madloch had excellent snow, best for a while, though the Lech variant not so good at the bottom with not enough snow to ski to the bus stop through the hotel car parks. After some recent comments used the cable cars, should not have bothered, queues for lift, queues to get on to packed cable car (complete with yodelling operator), when you eventually get to the top the runs had really nice snow and the vistas are good but the most interesting ski route is not there this year (glide crack issues I assume) the other option is nothing special, leads to a t bar then easy piste to a chair lift then ski down to Zürs. If I got the bus I could have sat down and been in Zürs at least 30 minutes earlier and skied something more interesting. Did Täli again this time moguls on the initial steep pitch which was unnerving some though snow still excellent. The clouds had disapated so went back towards St Anton decided too late for Schindler (getting old thing) went to Galzig. Kandahar good snow and no crowds, fun to ski. Saw chopper collect someone from Steissbachtal, injured person & Paramedic dangling from long string beneath heli (not sure if you get a choice not sure I fancy it). Steissbachtal was rammed, view from Mattunbahn looked like hordes of ants, not surprised there was an accident far too many people for a narrow piste. Snow deteriorated below Gampen the Nasserein side was not too bad just soft sugary stuff, Galzig not good best avoided. Not ideal for wobbly home run from Moose / KK.
snow report
I think I saw that chopper, doesn't take my fancy either. If there sight of that doesn't make you more careful you have a problem!
Spent the day boarding around the Stanton side, will try to get over to Lech tomorrow.
My review to the family at home (I'm fitting in a couple of cheeky solo days before a business trip in S Germany): Skiing is pretty good. A bit slushy but good cover and there's no terrible ice.
The reds were better than the blues by the end of the day in some places, smaller slushy moguls.
snow report
@munich_irish, Next time: first bus to Lech, Rüfikopf first thing in the morning > Langerzug > back to Rüfikopf via Schlosskopf > Route 181 etc to Zürs.
The views at Rüfikopf are best in the morning. And Langerzug....ohlala
snow conditions
@Langerzug, great advice, Rufikopf as you say, early views across the lake, and Langerzug run is fabulous, at the bottom after the forest the track across the fields to the lift also!
snow report
Does anyone actually use that t bar heading to Zurs....just take the short, flat, open short cut to the left as the preceding piste turns right and you pop out at top of the t. Mrs T insists on it as she hates t bars
snow conditions
@Technician, you can’t pass the Tbar when on skiroute 181 (always groomed)
latest report
Ah good point - we tend to use the blue
snow conditions
On train, leaving a bit early as, almost certainly foolishly (hope springs eternal!), off to Irish pub in Innsbruck to watch football. Spring has arrived in St Anton, t shirt weather in the village sure the Moose etc will be doing a roaring trade.

Agree re Langerzug, I have always fancied doing the early morning run they do though difficult to manage from St Anton and only viable from mid February when there is enough light.

This morning was very weird light, cloud well above the summits, no problems seeing into the distance but, certainly for me (blame getting old!!) very difficult to get bearings as could not see the ground beneath skis! After floundering around for a while stopped for coffee in the hope it would improve. Unusually the weather was coming from the south, suspect the cloud barrier was a Föhn effect and sunshine was visible to the south, sure enough the gloom dissipated and it got much brighter. The snow was pretty reasonable, not as good as in Zürs the day before but perfectly good piste / ski route conditions. Downside was, as ever, the crowds were out on a Sunday morning, though the lift queues were never dreadful. Took early lunch in the hope that the sun would come out and most other folk would head for the restaurants which both happened. After lunch was really nice sunny skiing on quiet pistes, Schindler was really enjoyable despite the Föhn storm at the top, Kandahar good too. Finished off with the Kapall black / Fang which was easy with the soft snow and no crowds, a bit crap right at the bottom but that is hardly news. As far as I could see off piste was not worth it, very few doing anything on Schindler, Mattun or Bachseite, the day before in Zürs the runs under the Muggengratbahn and the sides of Täli had some folk and looked OK but nowhere else. Needs more snow for decent conditions off piste.
ski holidays
Back after an early start, almost first in the queue for Valluga. Then across and up to the top above Lech via Zug by noon. Homeward plans were scuppered by the closure of Rüfikopf due to wind, so crammed into a bus with a hundred Austrians back to Zürs. Then I thought it wise to head straight back over to the St Anton side, Flexen was in definite windy day mode, slowing almost to a halt as the big gusts hit.
Flat light this morning ment I was feeling my way down the hill, which I hate, but the sun came out in the afternoon Very Happy
Everywhere is now very hard first thing and the wind was blowing a lot of the loose stuff about so some places had snow and some had smooth smooth hardness.
Do they have piste patrols here, I haven't seen anyone who looked like they were doing that job.
I'll be back.
latest report
@alr1971, not sure what you expect the patrol to be doing, you see them checking the marker poles, general piste maintenance etc. I saw some at the bottom of the short black run off the back of Galzig this morning, there was an injured skier and they were there with a blood wagon, they would call for a heli if required. if you want to chat with them they have an office at the Galzig lift station / restaurant.
ski holidays
@alr1971, 100 Austrians - is that a problem given where you are? Piste Patrol are brilliant there btw....if you need them they aren't far away.
snow report
@alr1971, can you spot the difference between Austrian German, Bavarian German, Lower Saxony German, Hamburg German, Swiss German. etc etc etc? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy