Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks @drporat, @munich_irish. I was after some reassurance, so I feel better now – much appreciated! We're both early 30s and pretty fit (run/walk/cycle/gym), but I do have an annoyingly persistent ITB issue that I'm trying to foam roll and stretch away. I'm hoping we'll have both progressed ski-wise by the time we go to Lech, as we're headed to Les Arc 1800 in mid-Jan. (I have just enough time/budget left for a long weekend, but I can't decide on a time/location.) I'll just be happy if we can do all the blues and maybe venture onto a red or two by the time we leave Lech. I must say Lech looks beautiful, so we're both really excited. I absolutely take the price/quality comment. We may be new skiers, but we've travelled a lot, and we see skiing as an opportunity to explore areas we wouldn't otherwise explore. In this respect, I don't mind paying a premium for something more interesting (hence Zermatt)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@inthecold, just go with Skischule Lech, they are excellent.
And yes, Lech is lovely also for early intermediates, and early march the best time to go.
Lots of gentle blues!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Langerzug!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@inthecold, great place - out there in 3 weeks hiking and mountainbiking. Love it in winter just as much but cheap it ain’t!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
August 7

Snowing down to 2000 Metres !!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Because of the price increases we're thinking of staying in Petneu or St Jakob next season. Anybody know how much taxis from St Anton to these places are in the evening?.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@xscreamer, Pettneu has a few bars of its own though not really any late night ones (unless Friedls reopens), St Jakob not much at all in he way of bars etc. There is a night bus service going to both places which costs a few Euros. It is certainly possible to get the normal ski bus back (often easier than to many part of "St Anton") get changed and get a bus to St Anton. Then get a taxi home whenever Gunar packs up for the night!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We usually go to Murrmel to see Gunar then have a meal, so would be looking to return about 10pm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@xscreamer,

After 19:00hrs there are regular Nightbusses to St Jakob all the way to Gand (on a loop same as she skibus) every hour costs approx €3.00... It is free on Skishow nights.

Taxis in the St Anton charge a Fixed rate and this can be from €10 (early December) to more genrally €15-20 depending on the time of the season. Doing this everynight will soon mount up for you..

Taxis to beyond depends on time ...
Pettneu €20-25
Schaan €25-30
Flirsch €50-75+

It is an easy walk to St Jakob from centre of St Anton to the church in St Jakob takes 20mins but you need to watchout for black ice on road at night.

To Gand it will take you 40-mins to walk at a brisk pace.

Pettneu... There is also a Nightbus I think its around €4

TBH.. Its not worth coming back to St Anton .. There is very little going on nowadays ..

Murrmels is an expensive dive full of gangs of 50+yr old bald sweating fat British men drinking s much as they can before falling on the roadside as they leave- ..

Im not even sure if software Gunar is playing this season .. I thought he retired last Easter.

You would be better off to stay in St Anton until approx 18:30 then take the last Skibus back to St Jakob or Pettneu and then just use the local restuarants & chillout ..

You said you were concerned of price increases

I would stay in Flirsch or ever better Strengen where you can eat decent Austrian food & drink real cheap in the Hotels (your not surrounded by people speaking English) and you can also get a good nights sleep and be back on the slopes in St Anton before anyone who is actually staying right next to the lifts

Skibusses do not ride to Strengen but when you stay in accomodations they provide you a pass to ride for free on the PostBus...

Also staying out of reach of the St Anton Gemeente (Council) zone you will not be levied the new 2023/2024 €5 per night Tourist Tax (up from €3.50 or 66%)

BTW. You might want to hang on a bit until you actually see the ""Official" pubished 2023/2024 prices for lift tickets and accomodations . Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, As I understand it Gunar has "retired" except for the winter season at the Murrmel where he will continue to be a feature, much loved by the Brits and others. Last time I was in there it was a good deal less expensive than Base Camp (which is not difficult) they also have to factor in paying Gunar, so a Euro or so from each beer will go towards his fee for the night. I agree that the places in Pettneu are better but might be rather on the quiet side for some
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, As I understand it Gunar has "retired" except for the winter season at the Murrmel where he will continue to be a feature, much loved by the Brits and others. Last time I was in there it was a good deal less expensive than Base Camp (which is not difficult) they also have to factor in paying Gunar, so a Euro or so from each beer will go towards his fee for the night. I agree that the places in Pettneu are better but might be rather on the quiet side for some

Yes, this is correct, or at least that's the message I got directly from Gunar last March. He said he had already signed up with Max for next season in the Murrmel. Beer prices there seem comparable with most other places in St Anton, it doesn't seem especially expensive.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now online. Lift tickets

€75. Day Pass
€450. 7 Days
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, That is a big increase from last year, it wont stop me but it might some. Hate to think what a family pays out for going skiing.

Just spotted that I now qualify (just) for a seniors ticket (born between 1950 & 1959) which means a small discount off the full price rate, €68 for day ticket, not sure to be happy or sad Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The burgers of St Anton have made a decisive effort to market the town as an up market destination for well heeled Skiers as an alternative to Zermatt or Verbier or such like. This is very understandable as the profits here will always outweigh anthing that will come from the average skier. However Branding is fickle, and the ST A. Brand was always Ski Hard - Party Hard, and that is very much what people bought into and came for. Whilst st A has secured its reputation enough to ensure the well heeled will still come the real heart of the place is rapidly being lost or actually lost. I fear they Good burgers may kill the golden goose. Who knows. I for one miss the old days (but still appreciate the new lift infrastructure) and I know alot of the locals are moving down the Valley. perhaps Naasserein or St jackob will take up the mantle for the Ski bums and party hounds. However if you are new to ST Anton and wishing to come for the first time, I fear the reputation you are coming for is long gone...............
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
Now online. Lift tickets

€75. Day Pass
€450. 7 Days

Wow - it doesn't seem that long ago that the tickets went above €50 per day.
snow report
@stanton Taxi to Pettneu for €20-25 or Lichtenstein for €25-30?!! Laughing Clearly you haven't been anywhere near a taxi recently

Tourist tax also increases to €5 in Pettneu, Flirsch and Strengen. A quick fact-check never hurts
snow report
@Mog, I do not take taxis I only drive them from Switzerland for a very large fee Very Happy Very Happy
@Mog, I do not pay Tourist Tax.

https://www.skiarlberg.at/PDFs/Tarifbl%C3%A4tter/Tarifblatt%20D%2023-24.pdf
ski holidays
@mcg, Totally agree with those sentiments. I've been skiing in various Arlberg resorts for over 20 years and have seen the infrastructure develop and improve, as well as the character of the resorts subtly change. Looks like "Zurs-Prices" across the region, even staying in Stuben for next year is almost as costly, and prices for hotels in St Anton that I've previously stayed in have sky-rocketed. So I've decided to change the way I work my ski holidays to minimise the impact of "ski-flation", which ultimately means spending less in resort as a result (bars/restaurants/ski-shops/on mountain). I'll still ski possibly one of the very best ski regions in the world, but splashing the cash wantonly on fine wines/Aperol Spritzes at Arlberg watering holes is going to change. Currently my planned trips are working out considerably cheaper than recent/previous ones to give me more wiggle room to absorb local pricing.

Main point is .......... I'll still ski the Arlberg. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 18-08-23 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, The prices have been going up for a while, I remember noticing that accommodation was a good deal more expensive in 2019 than it had been previously. A good number of the traditional "Hotel Garni" have gone to be replaced by more upmarket places which naturally charge more. It seems to be a generational thing, children taking over from their parents and wanting to change the nature of the business. Also the TVB have a deliberate policy of aiming to attract a more well healed clientele, which has caused some debate and dissension but it does seem to be the way the "village" is going. I prefer Pettneu but then I am not a fan of fine wines or Aperol Spritz more Hirsch Goulash, beer and an early night!
ski holidays
@munich_irish, Had a good deal at the Hotel Arlberg Stuben last year in early April per night was(175 Euros 2 pax Dinner B&B), similar times/length of stay is now 223 Euros per night. The Hotel Rundeck in St Anton last year I got for 178 Euros per night B&B, similar dates the hotel now wants 7 night booking at 315 Euros. Plus I've checked out a few other hotels I've stayed at Lux Alpinae, Mondschein in Stuben, Pepis, Banyan, M3, Anthony's, and Kertess - all now out of my "value for money" criteria. The point about the wine and spritz is that even the pizzerias in St Anton can add silly money to a basic couple of pizzas in their restaurants. Essentially my current mood is to downsize the accommodation to outside of the main Arlberg resorts, possibly go self catering, and I'm not expecting to live it up, get smashed at KK/Mooser, nor have 100 Euro lunches on the mountain. That then adds up to a consequential "loss" to the Arlberg economy, and on a macro-scale I doubt the Arlberg will miss the paltry Euros spent by Brits who no longer go to a "expensive dive full of gangs of 50+yr old bald sweating fat British men drinking s much as they can before falling on the roadside as they leave".

Main point remains ..... I'll still ski in the Arlberg (and a few other resorts scattered around the Alps).
snow report
@munich_irish, @skimastaaah, 100% agree with your views and well made points, we've always stayed centrally in 3/4* hotels and Pensions and the quotes I had for next winter are just crazy (well above our budget) and so for next season we've canned the planned Christmas/ NY trip we've enjoyed for years (not only because of price but also the season is going backwards and snow at that time of year is not always great, we hate ice). So looked down the valley at Pettneu, Strengen and Flirsch mid/ end January (usually a cheaper week), but again very expensive, so we are staying around in Steeg and will access via Warth and into Lech, probably not get across to Rendl/ Galzig next season. May even get a Bregenzerwald pass and do Damuls rather than Lech if epic snow end January, and use the buses.

Going to Lech and Anton next friday for 2 weeks mountain-biking/ hiking, amazingly good value as always in summer.

I get what Anton are doing - trying to deter some people and appeal to a more discerning wealthy free spending gastro-type clientele and all the 4/5* wellness etc, but I think they need to be very careful re their winter strategy, they need to remember we have choices!
latest report
@Markymark29, Our regular/usual Easter ski-week in the Arlberg so that Mrs Skimastaaah can get to Strolz's epic end of season sale is now out. We're now looking for resort/accommodation much nearer the time so as to ensure snow conditions and value for money within our budget. Having stayed in Warth a couple of times it's certainly no "Lech" but the hotels, lovely though they may be, charge "Lech-prices". We, too, are out there end of January (into Innsbruck and Car Hire for the week) and don't expect to sort out the accommodation until November/December/January dependent on my "value criteria". Otherwise I'm going to have to do some "work" to pay for my skiing! Toofy Grin
latest report
@skimastaaah, Yeah, we've stayed in Warth a few times, it's no Lech but its normally got great snow deep winter and the link if required, so we'll make do with a self-drive airbnb appartment next season, nice place even if a tad remote, 10/12 mins down Lechtal. Potentially sneak a late one at last minute if any deals about.....a far cry from our 4 weeks minimum, and Arlberg season pass approach pre-pandemic.
snow report
We were in St Anton last January and March and I didn't think there seemed as many people there as usual.
Anybody got any figures regarding numbers last winter?.
snow report
I was there through Jan/Feb and it still seemed the same as pre-covid: quieter early Jan (after NY) then just as busy through late Jan and through Feb.
My impression, no hard detail.
snow conditions
@xscreamer,I am sure there are some official numbers somewhere but my personal experience based on 3 weekend trips over the course of the season was that accommodation was as difficult to come by as ever. So I assume numbers were around the same as previous years
snow report
@xscreamer, As busy as I can remember early March 23
snow report
stanton wrote:
Now online. Lift tickets

€75. Day Pass
€450. 7 Days

wow, that's crazy but then the cost of power is crazy so it is what it is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mother hucker, Similar percentage rises in other Austrian ski areas I believe.....a long walk without!
snow conditions
@Markymark29, oh, I bet that’ll be fantastic. We’ve yet to do a summer/hiking holiday in the Alps – Zell am See and Lauterbrunnen are top of our list. Sadly all my leave is accounted for until April! Sad
latest report
@inthecold, It certainly is, highly recommended. Just as beautiful as in winter but without the crowds! Much quieter than Zell, there's a chilled feel in the mountains and towns, and the huts are fabulous for lunches when out and about.
snow conditions
mcg wrote:
However if you are new to ST Anton and wishing to come for the first time, I fear the reputation you are coming for is long gone...............

I have said this for years ..

The old party reputation of the town died when they moved the railway ..............

1. if you want non stop Party there are far better Apres Ski/nighlife winterspot destinations in Austria ...

2. If you want Lift served OFF Piste/Freeride then there is only one place in Austria

IF your looking for 1+2 all in one place im afraid you are 22 years to late ....
ski holidays
Quote:
2. If you want Lift served OFF Piste/Freeride then there is only one place in Austria

The usual quality of utter tosh from our local taxi driver. There is a shedload of places with lift served off piste in Austria, most with the added benefit that they are not completely skied out in the first 15 minutes on a powder day!
snow report
@stanton, Nonsense
ski holidays
@stanton, ... English idiom ... "Kill not the goose that lays the golden egg."

Taken from Aesop's Fables.

As regards St Anton as a ski resort,....... only time will tell if the manipulation of demographics turns into profitability of the towns assets.
Already my own ski plans will limit just how much I'll spend in the Arlberg this coming winter, despite the draw of the skiing. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Its is true that the Arlberg does have some of the best lift served off piste in the Alps but to get the best of it you need to be on the lifts as soon as they open which is difficult for non locals, it can get pretty crazy after a fresh fall of snow.

The party thing has been on the decline all over Austria, places like Söll, Ischgl & Mayrhofen are quieter than say 20 years ago, all the media nonsense about beer pong etc in Ischgl at the start of Covid have also driven a move to less raucous apres ski all round.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Mother hucker, Similar percentage rises in other Austrian ski areas I believe.....a long walk without!

I've not looked yet to be honest. I'll be buying the super card
snow conditions
@stanton, do you actually ski?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'll be buying the super card

@Mother hucker, Was just wondering - What's the super card?
snow report
Another flattening out Project for the Carpet Skiers

This is an Enviromental Procedure according to the Tyrolean Nature Conservation Act

Rough transation of Application.

In the ski area north of the Arlensattel, Arlberger Bergbahnen AG intends to smooth out the exit area of the
Schindlerkar ski route (86), which is too steep or too narrow in terms of skiing and is
heavily frequented, and to upgrade it in terms of skiing or make an improvement that is urgently considered
necessary from a safety point

Also, the ski track above (including snow making) is to be renovated in the exit area and optimized
with regard to the longitudinal gradient.

During the terrain adaptations , piping for the snow system including snow
system shafts will also be laid.

https://www.tirol.gv.at/fileadmin/buergerservice/kundmachungen/bh-landeck/Jul-Dez_2023/Km_Arlberger_Bergbahnen_AG_Abfahrtsadaptierung_Ausfahrt_Schindlerkar.pdf

Shocked

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING

Less Groomed Carpet = Less PistenBullys = Less Speed = Less Slope Accidents = Less Helicopter Noise Pollution
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy