Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
And it begins..

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Berfex isn't as optimistic at the moment

https://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There does look to be some precipitation due at the end of the week but cant see more than the normal light snowfall at altitude. No sign of any serious snow at the moment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Next week Freeze Level drops to 1500m possibly 1000m

https://twitter.com/WeermanMichael/status/1717440705302335565?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Folks.. Standby for Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/7jBXFnYEmTI?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whetting the appetite! Webcam now showing fresh tracks at St A., first of many for '24.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anybody who has skied for a while knows that snow this early does not mean much. It is just as likely to disappear before winter sets in properly. Equally, anybody who has skied for a while cannot but help feel the stoke building. Head versus heart! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Exactly...i decided to delay my Start and instead this weekend in stubai i Booked a Zimmer for the opening in St Anton (01 till 03 Dec)
I know that the Infos from the last years are against my decision but i still hope that this winter will be a little bit better
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, Just a bit less work for the snow cannons Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ulmerhutte, I am beginning to think a trip on the first weekend might be worthwhile though plenty of time for rain & Föhn to change things....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, enjoy! Hope it comes off for you.

We arrive on NY’s Day. Midnight of NYE in the lounge in Doha. I am sure it will be a rocking place! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i was up on the hill yesterday abeit herr in der Schweiz Very Happy Nice cover for early November.

Outlook ..more snow and rain

https://twitter.com/Alpinwetter/status/1721456413518463074?

Some nice fotos/vids etc Lech over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68826
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did a quick forum search, don,t think it's been asked before.

Under the Zammermoos chairlift, 50 yards up from the start, there is an old tree, and on it used to be a sign saying 'gladiator piste' (i think it might be gone now but it was there for years) - Does anyone know the story behind this ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hsdee, don’t know the story, but I do remember the plaque. It disappeared in recent times, maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

It was an apt description of Kandahar in the mid-afternoon during peak season.
ski holidays
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/butZ9ryIQDM
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, Yes a very good description in the mid afternoon, I am Maximus !

Talking of stories, this is a true one, before it was called Kandahar it was named after one of St Antons regular guests, a friend of Hannes Schneider, Gomperz and other St Anton folk at the turn of the 20th century. It was called Bernays downhill. Mr Bernays was from America, used to help out with the ski clubs early races and used to like touring on the Galzig, a long time before there were ski lifts.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/5JCrz-MVTPQ?t=448
snow report
Yellow Gentian looks spot on again

we had more snow Very Happy

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165953
ski holidays
See the snow cannons are running this morning though it looks more like rain in the next few days, had too much of that in recent visits!!
latest report
@munich_irish, yeah pretty early yet and seems to be warming up, we’ve swerved this years end December trip after our last few festive Arlberg holidays have been pretty uninspiring regards conditions at dramatically rising prices, this year favouring hiking in warmer climes, heading out to St Anton mid January though and looking forward to it.
latest report
Standby for serious amounts of precipitation in coming day

Landsliides possible to the west

https://twitter.com/Alpinwetter/status/1723611534977380764?
snow report
Currently raining upto 2000Metres .

The weather situation remains extremely varied and could become even more tense, especially in the next week.

For now, there will be a constant change between mild and colder Atlantic air masses for the rest of the week.

A mild and wet Tuesday is followed by a cooler Wednesday. With a cold front and the wind shift to the northwest, the snowfall limit drops to 1500m.

Thursday promises a slight improvement with some sunshine before the next cold front hits us on Friday. It can snow heavier above 1500m to 1000m. the amount of cold air will not last ; extensive warm air clouds will blow in and a renewed rise in temperature as early as Saturday.

On Sunday the clouds will clear and the sun will return to the sky, precipitation is hardly expected .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 2nd Opening Weekend ..

https://www.ravethearlberg.com/
snow conditions
Looks like you're gonna get the best of the current snowfall in the Alps, perhaps 20-50cm in the next day or so.

Rain down low.
snow conditions
Not bad for middle of November? Already looking better than last season? NehNeh

latest report
RIP to one of St Anton’s greats.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, ??

Looks like winter in the Arlberg this morning all that is missing is folk o skis though sure that will change during the day.
ski holidays
Shocked

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4977503&highlight=legend+apres#4977503
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Schlosskopfbahn I+II (!) announced by Mr. Manhart himself (retiring boss of the Skilifte Lech)
https://vorarlberg.orf.at/tv/stories/3233058/
With a mid-station close to Gasthof Formarin.
No further details/timeschedule
ski holidays
@Langerzug, I wonder why they wouldn't go straight up rather than having a I and II?

Looks like Herr Manhart needs to get a admin filing system! wink
snow conditions
@Markymark29, Main reason I think is that it is so narrow at Gasthof Formarin. Too narrow for modern lifts probably. Additionally: the mid-station clearly is meant to facilitate people from Oberlech-North to get quickly up the mountain, also bypassing the steep last part of the piste to Lech.
And maybe there is a connection with the abandoned plans of the Grubenalpbahn, which would connect to Weibermahd and Auenfeldjet, and to a new Rotschrofenbahn. Earlier, Manhart has been suggesting that the new Schlosskopfbahn could fulfill the Grubenalp goals. Will have to wait and see the precise details of these new lifts.

Herr Manhart is retiring end of year. This is his last trick! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Langerzug, yeah I can see the terrain being narrow etc and link to Auenfeldjet, hiked that area last summer up from Oberlech and across to Burstegg its a fabulous place, I guess folks in north side of Oberlech could just slide down to II rather than the long traverse across to Oberlech.
ski holidays
Any fans of Mr Manhart will find him featuring towards the end of this youtube documentary, his grandfather was Sepp Bildstein who initiated the first lifts in Zurs, Lech (some of which were built by french p.o.w's)

http://youtube.com/v/o5t70JPPY14

his office .... wow.
latest report
"Any fans of Mr Manhart will find him featuring towards the end of this youtube documentary, his grandfather was Sepp Bildstein who initiated the first lifts in Zurs, Lech (some of which were built by french p.o.w's"

Yep p.o.w., cheap labour, some of the landscaping in my garden was carried by German p.o.w., before my time of course. The 'crazy' paving rockery embankment still exists, standing the test of time: substantial build and design as you'd expect! Probably bomb resistant Laughing
snow report
@davidthornton, a little off track, but following what you said,

source - (https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/21/a2120121.shtml)

This is a genuine newspaper cutting of the time from the Bournemouth Evening Echo. Whether this German was a fanatic is not known - I like to think he had a wicked sense of humour!

Mrs Irene Graham of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscences of the German prisoner-of-war who was sent each week to do her garden. He was repatriated at the end of 1945, she recalled. "He'd always seemed a nice friendly chap, but when the crocuses came up in the middle of our lawn in February 1946, they spelt out, 'H*il H*tler'.
latest report
@hsdee, Yes I read that some time ago.
Do we start a new thread on p.o.w. and their not so insignificant contribution to British gardens? Laughing
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
@hsdee, Yes I read that some time ago.
Do we start a new thread on p.o.w. and their not so insignificant contribution to British gardens? Laughing

or stories from the Arlberg during ww2 ? I'll start - Prior to which, Mrs Churchill, used to enjoy a ski in Zurs Very Happy
snow conditions
Made some turns in Ischgl eary this morning... gave up as sleet/snowing very windy 100kmph+

Certainly a good number of people up at Idalp ..they will be heading for a very early Apres Ski Very Happy Very Happy

Im now back in Grins.(pitstop)... it very damp & raining ..

Weather

Looking very Good........ probably one of the best starts to the season in the last 10 years

Repeated snowfall this weekend.

It should snow more heavily, especially in the northern slopes in general from Saturday to Sunday.

On Sunday, the weather will slowly calm down during the day and on Monday it should even be mostly dry.

By Tuesday, however, the next low will arrive and the unsettled weather, which tends to cause snow showers, will continue into the middle of the week.

The temperatures also remain at a wintry level. and due to the snowfall and the wind the avalanche situation will increase noticeably .

Early season Ski Touring will be very hazardous ...

https://www.meinbezirk.at/tirol/c-lokales/erhebliche-lawinengefahr-stufe-3-durch-neuschnee-in-tirol_a6399354

There has already been the 1st officially recorded avalanche fatality (2 Polish Ski Tourers) of the season in the Tirol..

http://youtube.com/v/hsgZR9wLTMM?
latest report
Both Bergfex and ZAMG.ac.at show unrelenting cold at all levels for the week ahead.

St Anton village level on Tuesday, min -5c, max 0c and a significant snow top up.

As for Lech-Zurs, a winter wonderland of plenty of new snow and below zero at all times.

Is this the best end of November/early December in many years?
ski holidays
No doubt looking good for opening next weekend, the webcams are looking very "wintery". Certainly the best conditions early season for a few years.

The local forecaster (used by the Arlberg tourist boards) seems to think less snow in the next few days than the various forecast sites though agrees with the suggestion of generally low temperatures.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy