Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
@Mother hucker, I am pretty sure none of the area cards (Tirol, Super Ski etc) are valid for the Arlberg. I think Warth is covered by the Lechtal one.

@stanton, strangely I agree with you, no doubt the last bit of Schindlerkar can be a bit tricky but surely that is the point of a ski route it is not the bunny route back home!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely. Because helicopter noise pollution is slowly becoming Arlberg (and Tirol) main problem during winter time.

Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two Austrian Mountain guides tragically died in a 70 metre fall on Tuesday. Shocked

64-year-old woman and a 69-year-old man, both from Rankweil (Vorarlberg)

During the course of a guided mountain tour (16 people) in the descent from the "Scheibler" (tour from the Kartell reservoir to the Darmstädter Hütte with an ascent to the 2978-meter-high Scheibler.)

https://www.krone.at/3093084
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very sad times.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 27-08-23 15:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

I'll be buying the super card

@Mother hucker, Was just wondering - What's the super card?

salzburg superski card. I won't be skiing in the Arlberg, too expensive for our family the amount of weeks we ski. The hotel prices are crazy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Due to the sometimes heavy rainfall, flooding and mudslides are currently occurring in Tyrol. A calming of the flood situation is not in sight until Tuesday.

Innsbruck – On Monday morning, GeoSphere issued a rain warning of "red" (level 4 of 4) for the regions of Ötztal, Stubaital, Wipptal and the rear Zillertal. At level 4, there is a high risk of mudslides and landslides as well as flooding.

This is the highwater situtation in Innsbruck you can drill down for the rivers levels leading to the River Inn

https://wiski.tirol.gv.at/hydro/#/Wasserstand?station=201525

Heavy rain & highwater over the otherside in Vorarlberg

https://www.vol.at/ueberflutung-im-rheinvorland-bisher-ruhiger-als-erwartet/8258989
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, having seen the 12% hike in ski tickets this year (well at least season passes) i decided to try and see what previous season passes were priced at, anyway i am missing a few from my collection so if anyone has the time to dig out an old piste map or season card and look i would be most grateful. so i am looking for the prices starting from December 2005,6,7,8,9,10,15,18. Danke.
(I have searched arlberger bergbahn, wayback machine and skimaps)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hsdee wrote:
Hi all, having seen the 12% hike in ski tickets this year (well at least season passes) i decided to try and see what previous season passes were priced at, anyway i am missing a few from my collection so if anyone has the time to dig out an old piste map or season card and look i would be most grateful. so i am looking for the prices starting from December 2005,6,7,8,9,10,15,18. Danke.
(I have searched arlberger bergbahn, wayback machine and skimaps)

Season adult pass:
10/11- 710e
14/15- 775e
16/17- 805e
17/18- 820e
Might have others somewhere, but had a bit of a clearout in the Spring.
Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, found some more!
91/92- 7,300sch!! (Schilling that is)
97/98- 8,300sch
03/04- 645e
07/08- 665e
08/09- 680e
09/10- 695e
Not such a clear out after all!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you so much davidthornton, it's kind of panning out how i thought, starting about 20 years ago with rises of about 2% a year but then in the last two years 9% and now 12%. ouch, like everything else.

If anyones got december 2005, 6, Danke

Schillings, I remember those haha.

Edit - just for anyone that's interested, i was.
so i dug a little deeper into my records and have a starting price of 645 in 2003, which i think remained fixed at 650 for a couple of years gently rising at 2% a year till 2018 (837) then 3 years at 3% till 2021 (912) then a 9% (995) and now a 12% (1114) increase. ouch. Averaging out at 3% a year. But the good news is that a season pass used to be nearly 3.5 times the price of a 6 day pass, now it is just under 3 times the price, and if the current trend continues by 2046 a 6 day pass will cost 1000euros.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hsdee, I tried to search Arlberg 2005 2006 reports but it seems admin has deleted or whatever all the info beyond 10 seasons--

not sure if they got it archived somewhere...

Anyway the price would of been approx 2% up on the previous season..

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update Albona 1 Gondola.

Pylons & the Cable spliced, al set & up & wheels turning ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alcohol Prices & Food (Apres,Bars,Cafes etc)

I think there will be some huge lines at the Supermarkets Very Happy Very Happy

and many early nights or evenings..... Shocked

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidthornton wrote:
Yep, found some more!
97/98- 8,300sch
03/04- 645e
07/08- 665e
08/09- 680e
09/10- 695e

Good post.

An adult seasonpass for St Anton has jumped +73% in 20 years from €645 in 2003-4 to €1,114 in 2023-24.

Annual seasonpass inflation in St Anton was running around 2-3% in the 2000s, leaping to 5-6% pa by the end of the 2010s and early 2020s.

Inflation rate has more than doubled in recent years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidthornton wrote:
Yep, found some more!
97/98- 8,300sch
03/04- 645e
07/08- 665e
08/09- 680e
09/10- 695e

I just found a couple of old piste maps at home that are not in your extensive collection:

1996/1997 8100 Sch
2004/2005 650 Euro

I used to have a lot more but threw most of them away and regret it now, it's interesting to see how the runs have changed over the years (the prices too!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Johns4
Thanks @Stanton, i actually searched some back threads where you'd put up the links but the links expired on arlberger bergbahn.

So then i remembered i had all my old receipts and a bunch more info on some old computer files. So this is what i have, think it's 99% correct, but i'm just a bit shocked, though i guess one should not be, at the recent raises this year and last year. And also as i am for 400 euros for a 6 day pass. In the words of Jesse from The Fast Show this season i will be mostly .....touring Very Happy

Season card price in December of year.
1991 7300
1996 8100
1997 8300

2003 645
2004 650 1%
2005 650 0%
2006 650 0%
2007 665 2%
2008 680 2%
2009 695 2%
2010 710 2%
2011 725 2%
2012 745 3%
2013 760 2%
2014 775 2%
2015 790 2%
2016 805 2%
2017 820 2%
2018 837 2%
2019 860 3%
covid 885 3%
2021 912 3%
2022 995 9%
2023 1114 12% ouch!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seeing these season card price rises of the last two years, there is a remarkably similar rise in the prices of our hotel in Lech.
Which we don't want to pay anymore... Evil or Very Mad Luckily we know some better priced alternatives...
ski holidays
Perhaps bear in mind the rate of inflation is the past 24 months, especially with regard to energy prices and also the amount of lift building that has been happening (financed by bank loans where interest rates have risen from practically zero to around 5%). Though a 22% increase in 24 months is possibly pushing things somewhat. No doubt the new lifts improve the ski area (at least for those who dont want to walk up) though I miss the old Schindler lift and am not that keen on the mooted lift from Zug to Madloch.
snow report
Would be interesting to know if lift prices have risen similarly over that period in other resorts such as Val D'Isere and Verbier for comparison. Though different levels of taxation might be relevant.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, Not to forget the village generates it's own energy. I'm with you on those lifts. Maybe the lifties will all get a pay rise, they need to.

PS - if anyones got anymore of the old season prices.
snow conditions
NEOS (Anti Corruption Political Party) criticise price increases at ski resorts

"""If we had raised prices in the hotel or catering industry as we did for lift tickets, then a schnitzel would cost 55 euros today and an overnight stay in a three-star hotel would cost 150 euros per person," NEOS club chairman Dominik Oberhofer criticizes the drastic price increases for lift tickets in Tyrol."""

"This price increase is dangerous, especially with regard to the further development of tourism. If the relationship between the prices of the lift ticket and the accommodation no longer fits, such a pricing policy inevitably leads to a decrease in the overall demand in the tourism sector. The large cable car operators all make huge profits from the use and management of the Tyrolean landscape and therefore bear an overall responsibility for local tourism," says Oberhofer. The chairman urges reason and sensitive pricing of tickets. "A family of four with a 7- and 8-year-old child has to shell out an average of 1,000 euros for a 6-day ski pass. This makes a skiing holiday in Tyrol an absolute luxury right now," Oberhofer calculates.

NEOS are very worried that the current price development, especially when the German economy is weakening, is not immediately a good basis for a successful winter season. Oberhofer therefore takes responsibility for the cable car operators and appeals for a moderate price adjustment.

Oberhofer again speaks out against ski resort subsidies

In this context, Oberhofer once again criticizes the state government's ski resort subsidies. "Instead of haphazardly distributing ski resort subsidies to the cable car operators, the provincial government should rather use this money to promote the so-called network tickets, such as the Tirol Ticket or the Freizeitticket, for local families. Both sides, the Tyrolean population and the cable car industry, would benefit from this," Oberhofer knows how to do something better with the millions in funding.

https://tirol.neos.eu/news/presseaussendungen/Seilbahnen-Preise-Erhoehung-Maessigung
ski holidays
I'm not majorly impressed regards the price hikes in ski pass prices, but comparing current prices to those of previous years seems like a waste of time imv, you either go or you don't, it's really that simple.

As an example of price-hikes for no apparent reason - my car insurance renewal has just been received, up 55% year on year.....no accidents or reason for the increase, can I do much about it, not really - they are a cartel so it is what it is, same with the ski passes, pay up or stay home. Or buy a pair of ski touring skis and get mega fit next few months and hike up. At least the lift companies can blame increased fuel costs, even though they generate it themselves in Arlberg, my guess is they are trying to claw back lost revenues in Covid times and get a return on their not-insignificant investment in recent years.

It'll be interesting to see if folks decide to vote with their feet next season, and boycott certain ski areas (unlikely), or just stay home for the season instead of going to the Alps as in previous years (more likely imv). I personally think people's attitudes are changing/ have changed in recent years and the Arlberg need to be very careful how far they push in this respect, we certainly won't be staying in town next year, and have booked in Lechtal with a quick hop on ski bus to Warth for start of days skiing....if they close the Auenfeldjet so be it, we'll stay in Warth/ Schroeken, will we get around to St Anton, probably not but the prices for accommodation has also gone through the roof for next season and we're not prepared to pay it. Strange times we live in. rolling eyes
ski holidays
The insurer is mugging you off, son.

Shop elsewhere.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
I but comparing current prices to those of previous years seems like a waste of time imv, you either go or you don't, it's really that simple.

Well, there's no snow outside, I had the time to waste and was curious and interested in the changes (as with other living costs) (shared here coz i thought one or two others may be too).

It's all part of the grand masterplan to rid the place of noise and the Lumpengesindel Shocked
snow conditions
"This price increase is dangerous, especially with regard to the further development of tourism. If the relationship between the prices of the lift ticket and the accommodation no longer fits, such a pricing policy inevitably leads to a decrease in the overall demand in the tourism sector."

I do get it that St Anton (in particular) needs to change the "St Manton" and "Pi$$head" reputations and build distinct new character for the next generations of skiers.

Looks like the "Yo-Yo Effect" will kick in for a couple of years where prices will rise/fall then settle at a seemingly matched level. Having skied in the Arlberg frequently for over 20+ years, this coming season I've only one planned trip there, which is a tad unusual. As regards the price increases for me, these will be "micro-managed" by what I'm prepared to spend in resort, effectively reducing my spend in hospitality and retail. I'm also planning on waiting until a couple of weeks before I go before I book accommodation as currently the prices on Booking/Hotels.com are not really showing the expected range of mid season availability. As such I'm very much prepared to miss out on the main resorts like Lech and St Anton and stay slightly further afield in one of the satellite villages which ultimately means that the main resorts will miss out on the greater proportion of my beer/wine/food/shopping.

I very much doubt I will be alone in this, and I very much doubt that my "spend" will be missed.
ski holidays
Albona 1

I am not sure what was wrong with the old chairlift.. Im sure it could kept running for another 20years ....

This is what your lift tickets are paying for ...

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3223864/

Part of the masterplan to destroy Albona..

I guarantee Stuben am Arlberg will now expand (accomodations, housing etc) in size just like Nasserein in the early 2000's
snow conditions
@stanton, Stuben is now a central village within the Arlberg system, and possibly the best place to stay and comfortably ski into St Anton one way, and ski into Lech/Warth the other. Plenty of open land both sides of the road to Langen just waiting for the Developers to pounce. Klosterle is also ripe for development, and seeing as both villages are on the direct ski-bus route to Lech I'm surprised that more budget focussed skiers are not using these already with much better priced accommodation.
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
@stanton, Plenty of open land both sides of the road to Langen just waiting for the Developers to pounce. .

Haha, forget it! That's all rather avalanche prone slopes, probably hardly any development possible/allowed
Apart from that, banks are already becoming more and more difficult in giving skiing related credits due to climate change...Would not expect major developments, anywhere...And then there is democracy. The winds are blowing from the green-left side more and more.
snow report
@Langerzug, Stuben has already seen significant new developments evn in the last 5 years.. There are of course No Construction zones but there plenty of areas where it could be allowed ..Yes Banks do not lend nowadays unless they can see a full Winter & Summer operation but its very difficult.....However nearly all new developments now are funded from investors (private/companys)..

________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
@skimastaaah, Stuben prices will rise like everywhere else. there is not much difference even now..
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lift Companys could reduce there costs/prices by switching off uneccesary Heated seating & turning down the speed of the lifts etc

Unfortunately this is not going to change anytime soon and as a ski resort, you'd rather ask for more money so that the people who look at every penny do not come to your area.

The people who do not check the pennys spend more money on other things such as lunch, ski lessons, après-ski etc. etc., so that you earn even more.

If you cut back to attract the people who are tight in terms of budget, you will miss out on a lot of turnover because of what you attract by the audience.

That's why I don't think any ski resort is waiting to lower comfort and become a low-budget destination.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The rising prices may not immediately mean less tourism, but it is already known that "the new generation" in Austria does 25% less winter sports. 25% less new growth. Shocked

Also Many Austrians can no longer afford to go skiing for a day: add up, petrol, day pass, snack drink, drink afterwards.
snow conditions
"Stuben prices will rise like everywhere else. there is not much difference even now.."

Prices are already doing that in the few places I've stayed previously (Mondschein, Arlberg Stuben, Flexen Haus), up around 20+% from last time.

Skiers will want to still ski the Arlberg, but will cut their cloth accordingly. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Albona 1

I am not sure what was wrong with the old chairlift.. Im sure it could kept running for another 20years ....

Part of the masterplan to destroy Albona..

Well the old albona1 chair would have needed replacing as it was built in 1983 and usually the lifts are replaced or renovated every 30-40 years in the Arlberg, currently by 'insert adjective here' gondolas where easy rescue is not possible, however I agree with you, Albona has been destroyed, by, in my humble opinion, the removal of albona 2. What is the point of going to the area for very long, if it is no longer possible to do a few laps up high and having to ski all the way to raus to get back up to the higher snow (ignoring the worlds almost slowest lift - sonnenleiten) - i hardly ever go to #stuben now - i don't like the ski back to raus, unless a ski coffee or lunch is planned there. With this development they could have had a mid station and replaced albona 2 along the old line of the orignal single chair which runs up to the albonagrat restaurant (old lift station) but then the books would not look so good as there would be less numbers using the albonabahn at raus. And as for lowering the elevation of the top station now on albona 1 and having to push, walk out, even less reason to go.

As for a development at Stuben, they could then reimplement the 1920s proposal of an aerial tramway from Langen railway station, via Stuben to Zurs. It was never built as it was calculated to be too expensive. Source - Tiroler Zeitung of the time.
ski holidays
Looks like a standard adult day pass is going to be £65 this year. Yikes! It’s comparable however to the 3 Valleys and only 5e more than the Super Dolomiti day pass.

I Can see why it’s getting unaffordable for the younger generation to ski, even if they end up paying quite a bit less than that.
latest report
@Peter S, No idea of your age but I now qualify (just!) for a "seniors" ticket, which is pretty scary but does mean "only" €68 for a day ticket. You need to have 1959 or less in the DoB bit of your passport to qualify.
snow report
A few more years to go yet before my bus pass Laughing
latest report
Quick look at the webcams, looks like fabulous hiking weather still in St Anton, and warm too. Needs to start cooling down soon!

Changed our arrangements for mid January, found a great appartment deal down the valley, on reflection we prefer to be the Anton side of the ski area, Lechtal option was good but we realised we want to be able to ski Rendl, Albona and Galzig this year rather than focusing on Warth and Lech. Factored in mid January and short days plus Auenfeldjet induced stress Shocked regarding any incoming weather and potential for us being stranded if it suddenly closes. Very Happy
latest report
@Markymark29, Sunny warm days are not unusual at this time of year, cooler more typical autumn days are due from the weekend. No sign of snow yet though.
latest report
@munich_irish, yeah, all good
snow report
Around about the Oct 14th Temperature should drop from the current above daily avarage of 20C to 10C with much colder nights so we might begin to see some white mountain peaks in the mornings from then ................

Meanwhile this is now ...

http://youtube.com/v/EgyuYIvG6Mo?
snow report
Cold spell for the Alps this weekend. Temperature drops at 1500m to well below freezing! ECMWF ensemble St Anton am Arlberg

https://x.com/WeermanMichael/status/1712016323180466392?s=20
snow conditions
Finally some good news. Many thanks.
ski holidays
Somewhat odd weather in this part of the world. Tomorrow 25 degrees, cloudless skies, beer garden weather, Sunday 9 degrees maximum and damp, light snow in the mountains. Shorts will be finally packed away! Should be a light dusting visible in the webcams next week.
ski holidays
Looks like the new Albona 1 gondola is ready to spin.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy