Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prettiest Ski Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
valais2 wrote:

Numbers: In Switzerland, you can use septante, huitante and nonante for 70, 80 and 90, respectively - compared to soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingts-dix in France....

quatre-vingt-dix

no 's'
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Park City? No.

Definitely Heavenly (and the lines aren’t always bad there. Last Friday and Saturday the longest line we had was five minutes, and it was sunny.)

Not Jackson, but Targhee (for the Tetons)

Omission of Zermatt is nuts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, ....drat....true....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My vote goes to.... Superdevoluy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
Three resorts in the trois vallees?
Someone either has a sense of humour or is blind.

Agreed - I'm a 3Vs regular but Meribel and Courchevel ...? Come on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@franga, …exact…

Like Saas Fee and Zermatt, Grimentz is a beautiful village when you walk down from the parking and the Zinal link gondola. But the ski area is partially lovely and partially…well….grim.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Three resorts in the trois vallees?
Someone either has a sense of humour or is blind.

Agreed - I'm a 3Vs regular but Meribel and Courchevel ...? Come on.

St Martin dB would qualify though I reckon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alston in the Cumbrian fella. A picturesque hilly street with cobbles, pubs and local fayre shops. Relatively easy access to the major dales runs. A steam train services the resort as well as local buses. (There are free resort buses to more mature clientele)
Canoeing in the valley and mountain biking available off season.
Very few out of towners and not a male sided demographic like mist European “party” resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alston is also on the Pennine Way so quite a bit of (foot) traffic through the town. It is, however, some way from the ski resorts of Yad Moss, Allenheads and the Weardale club.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oneglove wrote:
Alston in the Cumbrian fella. A picturesque hilly street with cobbles, pubs and local fayre shops. Relatively easy access to the major dales runs. A steam train services the resort as well as local buses. (There are free resort buses to more mature clientele)
Canoeing in the valley and mountain biking available off season.
Very few out of towners and not a male sided demographic like mist European “party” resorts.

Is that Yad Moss? Hoping to go this winter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck beating Zermatt!

Doesn’t suck in Summer either

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ouch, that saturation's hurting my eyes though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not the biggest ski spot, but Gerardmer is beautiful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
menatarms wrote:
oneglove wrote:
Alston in the Cumbrian fells.

Is that Yad Moss? Hoping to go this winter.

Yes, I hope to go this winter as there’s always hope up there even in a heat wave with a strange Fhoen wind. It used to have a phone in weather line going back 20+ years. A compact quality leaflet of blue skys and deep Pennines powder that promised a lot for a lad not past Skegness.

Bobinchat, wonderful pictures and have heard of Zermatt but not seen it. A technicolour feast for the eyes and no doubt real.
I’m sure Alston could be just as nice if it wanted to develop itself as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple of Wengen.

snow report
@telford_mike, gorgeous. For me Wengen takes a lot of beating and, unlike Grindelwald (and Zermatt) it's not hemmed in by its admittedly iconic mountain. I don't like a mountain, however beautiful, looming too closely over me.
ski holidays
Wengen is lovely. The only time I've been I stayed in a slightly shabby hotel just above the cliff. I remember walking out onto a slightly wobbly balcony and looking right down at the valley floor. Attention grabbing!
ski holidays
A lot of these views aren't easily accessible however

Not specifically Wengen

Just a lot of the brochure views are taken from the air or inaccessible buildings
latest report
I love Alpe d'Huez but it cannot possibly be on the pretty, chocolate box list for the main village, although the peaks surrounding the village are a great vista. Maybe it is because of the view of it from The Sarenne or because of Oz or the other outposts.
Undeniably, it has a fab feel, skiing up with anywhere, but it is robbing a really picturesque village of its place in the list.

But one person's pretty is another man's ugly.

I find a top 15 alternative "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" villages more interesting.

Les Arcs, Flaine, Tignes, Le Corbier, La Toussuire, Valmeinier, La Thuile, Samoens, Devouluy, Avoriaz, Cervinia, Les Menuires, Aime La Plagne (and Plagne Centre), the whole of Bulgaria, Soldeu
snow report
Quote:

it is robbing a really picturesque village of its place in the lis

That language inflates the importance of this silly list. It's just to sell Ski Solutions destinations. The fact that it entirely omits Austria (which undoubtedly has some of the prettiest resorts) just underlines its irrelevance.
latest report
@Yellow Snow, hadn’t visited Avoriaz for a long time but was around there in Feb. It looks spectacular from some angles
snow report
Yellow Snow wrote:
I find a top 15 alternative "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" villages more interesting.

Les Arcs, Flaine, Tignes, Le Corbier, La Toussuire, Valmeinier, La Thuile, Samoens, Devouluy, Avoriaz, Cervinia, Les Menuires, Aime La Plagne (and Plagne Centre), the whole of Bulgaria, Soldeu

Brutal is beautiful:

latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it is robbing a really picturesque village of its place in the lis

That language inflates the importance of this silly list. It's just to sell Ski Solutions destinations. The fact that it entirely omits Austria (which undoubtedly has some of the prettiest resorts) just underlines its irrelevance.

Agree with the sentiment but for accuracies sake. Kitzbhuhel and Zall am See are there but low down the list.
snow conditions
@Arno,
Quote:
It looks spectacular from some angles
I think this is the point. Brutal is rarely beautiful for its own sake but how, like any architecture, it sits in its environment.
snow conditions
OK, fair enough! My irritation at this ineffably stupid list no doubt interfered with my ability to read....
ski holidays
To me it says avoid Ski Solutions!
snow report
Zermatt definitely has to be on this list. I'd also include Cauterets in the French Pyrenees

snow conditions
I think you're looking at this the wrong way up. Here's an oldie from Zermatt.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I must be snow blind...anywhere I can look out of the window and see a mountain covered in snow with maybe a few rocks or even trees for definition, that I can then go out and try to slide down....now that is true beauty to me. I actually don't care about how 'pretty' a resort is...most of the time I really, really, REALLY hope that it's covered in so much snow so that I can't see how pretty, or ugly it is!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy