Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prettiest Ski Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Holiday company Ski Solutions has selected what it says are in its opinion the top 15 prettiest ski resorts.

I'm not surprised to see so many Swiss resorts in the list (Adelboden, Wengen, Gstaad, Mürren, Saas Fee, Crans Montana) but surprised at the omission of Zermatt with its iconic view of the Matterhorn. Also pleased to see Ortisei included, it's by far the prettiest of the towns in Val Gardena. Also a bit surprising that Arabba has been included, it's got a great location on the Sella Ronda and close to the Marmolada and the village is nice enough but I wouldn't have said it was amongst the top 15.

Comments?

Edit: Perhaps they're all resorts Ski Solutions offer?..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't think you can omit Heavenly in Tahoe from a list like this. The crowds and the lines are a nonsense but the views are spectacular
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@driz, agreed about Heavenly. The view on one side of Lake Tahoe and on the other side the semi arid Nevada plain is spectacular as you say.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Three resorts in the trois vallees?
Someone either has a sense of humour or is blind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
Three resorts in the trois vallees?
Someone either has a sense of humour or is blind.

... or maybe they're trying to sell you a ski holiday there wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
omg l'Alpe d'Huez is on the list, I guess they mean Huez but that's just some clunky old French mountain hamlet.

Megeve hmmmm, it has some interesting architecture and I guess "faute de mieux" it qualifies for France.

Bessans maybe would count, and St Veran rather than Huez although the mayor of St Veran did want to concrete the place recently.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's all about selling ski holidays. There are a fair number of places in France more attractive than Arabba! And, if I were the Matterhorn, I'd not want to be described as "pretty".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:
@driz, agreed about Heavenly. The view on one side of Lake Tahoe and on the other side the semi arid Nevada plain is spectacular as you say.
Yes, but Heavenly itself, with its high rise gambling dens? Horrible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a laughably absurd list. Presumably Ski Solutions don't go to many Austrian resorts?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's ChatGPT's list

Sure, here are 15 of the prettiest ski resorts in the world:

Banff, Canada
Zermatt, Switzerland
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Whistler, Canada
Aspen, United States
Courchevel, France
Val d'Isere, France
Niseko, Japan
Park City, United States
Chamonix, France
Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
Gstaad, Switzerland
Jackson Hole, United States
Lech, Austria
Verbier, Switzerland

Please note that beauty is subjective, and there are many other ski resorts in the world that could also be considered stunning in their own right. Ski resorts should not be judged on their superficial looks but on their own inner beauty.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
omg l'Alpe d'Huez is on the list, I guess they mean Huez but that's just some clunky old French mountain hamlet.

There are some nice views FROM Alpe d’Huez but calling the resort itself pretty is definitely a stretch. “Better than is used to be” is as far as I’d go on that front Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought the answer for this and all other ski resort-related questions was La Rosiere….non.?

Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
Here's ChatGPT's list

Sure, here are 15 of the prettiest ski resorts in the world:

Banff, Canada
Zermatt, Switzerland
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Whistler, Canada
Aspen, United States
Courchevel, France
Val d'Isere, France
Niseko, Japan
Park City, United States
Chamonix, France
Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
Gstaad, Switzerland
Jackson Hole, United States
Lech, Austria
Verbier, Switzerland

Please note that beauty is subjective, and there are many other ski resorts in the world that could also be considered stunning in their own right. Ski resorts should not be judged on their superficial looks but on their own inner beauty.

Shows AI is still some way off
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhap they should start by defining "pretty". I'm not an expert on AI and certainly have no idea how ChatGPT works, but what exactly were the criteria used in it's list? Should this not be published alongside it's output? I suspect it was merely a search though as many documents it could find on the internet and listed the most common associations between the resort name and the word "pretty"

ps I would put Arc1600 at the top of the list. Award winning architecture and stunning views across the Isere valley (provided the Club Med is airbrushed out of course)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
I suspect it was merely a search though as many documents it could find on the internet and listed the most common associations between the resort name and the word "pretty"

well it did at the little bit of wokism about not judging a ski resort by its looks at the end.

Basically it works how you said. It is LLM - that is based on the previous text it predicts the next word in the sentence based on probablities from absorbing a huge quantity of training data. A bit of randomization is added so it churns out different text to the same question.
snow report
In my opinion the prettiest ski resorts are the ones with the least infrastructure, ie, none of the above.
snow conditions
I tried Google's Bard AI as it said this

Zermatt, Switzerland
Chamonix, France
Verbier, Switzerland
Courchevel, France
Val Thorens, France
St. Anton, Austria
Lech, Austria
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Aspen, Colorado
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia
Niseko, Japan
Queenstown, New Zealand
Bariloche, Argentina
Revelstoke, British Columbia

I then asked how it defined pretty, and got this back.

I defined "pretty" as "pleasing or attractive to the eye, especially without grandeur." This definition is based on the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of the word.
When I created the list of the 15 prettiest ski resorts, I considered a number of factors, including the natural beauty of the surrounding mountains, the quality of the skiing and snowboarding, the variety of amenities and activities available, and the overall atmosphere of the resort.
I believe that the resorts on my list are all beautiful and offer a great skiing and snowboarding experience. However, I also recognize that beauty is subjective, and what one person finds pretty, another person may not. Ultimately, the best way to decide which ski resort is right for you is to visit and see for yourself.
latest report
Does "ski-resort" mean the whole area, or the buildings/village? Totally different results for each.
ski holidays
Jagerbull wrote:
I tried Google's Bard AI as it said this

Zermatt, Switzerland
Chamonix, France
Verbier, Switzerland
Courchevel, France
Val Thorens, France
St. Anton, Austria
Lech, Austria
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Aspen, Colorado
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia
Niseko, Japan
Queenstown, New Zealand
Bariloche, Argentina
Revelstoke, British Columbia

I then asked how it defined pretty, and got this back.

I defined "pretty" as "pleasing or attractive to the eye, especially without grandeur." This definition is based on the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of the word.
When I created the list of the 15 prettiest ski resorts, I considered a number of factors, including the natural beauty of the surrounding mountains, the quality of the skiing and snowboarding, the variety of amenities and activities available, and the overall atmosphere of the resort.
I believe that the resorts on my list are all beautiful and offer a great skiing and snowboarding experience. However, I also recognize that beauty is subjective, and what one person finds pretty, another person may not. Ultimately, the best way to decide which ski resort is right for you is to visit and see for yourself.

I see the confabulation problem isn’t going away anytime soon.
snow conditions
Cannot understand why Milton Keynes is not on this list?
ski holidays
Quote:

Cannot understand why Milton Keynes is not on this list?

Because both Tamworth and Castleford are ahead of it.
snow report
@davidof, Laughing Laughing

I might love living here but Chamonix is not the prettiest, at least, not as far as urban architecture goes!!
snow conditions
Phew … for a while, I thought that AI might subvert human judgement. This list shows we have no worries…..yet.

Courmeyeur - grandeur and quality of light….
Anzere - tree runs to Les Rousses - and the view, oh yes the view across the valley. Anzere town…bleh.
Peisey Nancroix - wonderful working village

Crans Montana? That’s our manor. Pretty? Nope. Crans full of Hermes and D&G bling. No S O U L. Montana plenty of soul but pretty. Def not.
Arolla - gorgeous around Kurhaus hotel. Amazing view to Mt Du Collon. Bleak and tedious drags.
Le Marecottes - def pretty train ride up. Def pretty village.

Mike Pow - La Grave …. Pretty? Pretty blooody terrifying!!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-04-23 15:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
My choices from the countries I've visited

Andorra - Arinsal
Argentina - Caviahue
Austria - Lech
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Jahorina
Canada - Castle Mtn
Chile - Nevados de Chillan
France - La Grave
Georgia - Gudauri
Germany - Wendelstein
Italy - San Martino di Castrozza
Japan - Nukabira Onsen
Kosovo - Brezovica
Montenegro - Savin Kuk
New Zealand - Ohau
Norway - Stranda
North Macedonia - Popova Shapka
Switzerland - Engelberg
Turkey - Erciyes
USA - Telluride
ski holidays
15 is too many but a couple that spring to my mind are Austria: Zell-am-See.
Switzerland: Zinal, judging by its omission few Snowheads have walked through this village.
snow report
@valais2, Arolla is definitely a stunning location. Reckon Evolene is more attractive town but not sure it can count as a ski resort

La Grave? Stunning mountain views, bits of the town are attractive but having a fairly busy main road running through it doesn’t help
ski holidays
@valais2,
Quote:

Crans Montana

I wondered, having last been there more than 60 years ago. They were pretty then. Sad
latest report
@Hurtle, …60 years? Really?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were all pretty then, @Hurtle. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
@Hurtle, …60 years? Really?
Yes. I think I was about five or six on the occasion of the first of our seven long summer holidays on the trot (the first two in Montana and the rest in Crans) and I was barely in my teens when family friends took me to Crans in winter once.
My mum used to despair at the horrible Valaisan accent I used to return home with each year, after running wild with local kids. And, to this day, I have to think twice before negotiating 70, 80 and 90!
snow conditions
driz wrote:
Don't think you can omit Heavenly in Tahoe from a list like this. The crowds and the lines are a nonsense but the views are spectacular

great views from the skiing but the village is hardly attractive?
ski holidays
@Hurtle, ...that sounds like you are sixty but thinking about negotiating ages 70 80 and 90

Me too....I want to be skiing at 90.

However....just to clarify for those who have not negotiated the number system of French speaking Valais:

Numbers: In Switzerland, you can use septante, huitante and nonante for 70, 80 and 90, respectively - compared to soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingts-dix in France....

Another example of excellent Swiss engineering.

However, as Hurtle will well remember, the Valaisans have over engineered the kiss-on-the-cheek greeting, which is done THREE times in the Valais...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-04-23 19:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Quote:

Laughing and Belgian too
ski holidays
@valais2, Laughing Already having to negotiate septante-six, I mean soixante-seize. My goal is to ski for as long as I can walk.
latest report
Bizarrely, the name of our rented chalet in Montana has just sprung to mind - Trèfle à quatre. (Four-leafed clover.)
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Laughing and Belgian too
Indeed. Living in Belgium for a while locked this problem in for me.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@Hurtle,

Numbers: In Switzerland, you can use septante, huitante and nonante for 70, 80 and 90, respectively - compared to soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatrefoil-vingts-dix in France....

Another example of excellent Swiss engineering..

Nah, it just allowed all those bankers to count notes more quickly.
snow report
@Hurtle, ....nice....

https://www.onecm.ch/location/531/crans-montana-trefle-a-quatre--chalet
snow conditions
@valais2, Shocked It didn't occur to me it would still be there.
snow report
davidof wrote:

Megeve hmmmm, it has some interesting architecture and I guess "faute de mieux" it qualifies for France.

Bessans maybe would count, and St Veran rather than Huez although the mayor of St Veran did want to concrete the place recently.

The old bit of Bessans is pleasant but the modern blocks a bit less so, though they are good value places to stay.
I love the old bit of Bonneval as well though the development next to the lifts is pretty ugly
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy