Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the best European resorts for Autumn Half Term Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rjs wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
But if M@A has a car there are a few lovely villages (with restaurants) very close to Hintertux.

Doesn't mean anything will be open.

I have skied at Hintertux at May half-term several times, we had to ask a hotel in Vorderlanersbach to open for us (we were going to fill it). Everything else in the village was closed.

In contrast, we've had no problems at all eating out in various villages in the valley in October over the years.

The key to my quote was that I didn't say, "there are a few lovely villages (with CLOSED restaurants)."

By implication, the villages concerned have open eating establishments. wink

I'm sure someone like Mountainaddict will be along to advise further, however, as he has been there more recently.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well Tignes was certainly short of open eateries and drinkeries when I was there for autumn skiing once. Bad weather closed all the lifts on the glacier so a group of us on an "Inside Out" coaching holiday went for a healthy walk. We finally found a hostelrie open in that low down village - can't remember its name - and were stunned to find they had no red wine. I think we opted for some bottled beer and no crisps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Hmmm.... Sorry to contradict but in my experience that's the opposite of what he should expect.
Your description sounds like he should expect not to ski, when the opposite is true.
I reckon he should expect to get some "proper" skiing in and would be unlucky not to do so at that time of year.
I'll second that. In my 20 or more autumnal skiing trips to glaciers in the Alps - from late September to early November - I have skied on every trip and usually on pretty good snow. I once had rock hard boiler plate at Tignes one early November trip but that was still skiable and was the exception, rather than the rule. Autumn does seem fairly reliable on the weather front, at least in my experience. I can count on one hand the number of days the glaciers have been closed on my trips - always due to wind.

Hintertux in particular will usually have 600m of vertical available from October onwards. Probably a lot more than the OP is envisaging for a glacier trip - and a pretty decent descent for any ski area, even in winter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm.... Sorry to contradict but in my experience that's the opposite of what he should expect.
Your description sounds like he should expect not to ski, when the opposite is true.
I reckon he should expect to get some "proper" skiing in and would be unlucky not to do so at that time of year.
I'll second that. In my 20 or more autumnal skiing trips to glaciers in the Alps - from late September to early November - I have skied on every trip and usually on pretty good snow. I once had rock hard boiler plate at Tignes one early November trip but that was still skiable and was the exception, rather than the rule. Autumn does seem fairly reliable on the weather front, at least in my experience. I can count on one hand the number of days the glaciers have been closed on my trips - always due to wind.

Hintertux in particular will usually have 600m of vertical available from October onwards. Probably a lot more than the OP is envisaging for a glacier trip - and a pretty decent descent for any ski area, even in winter.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
menatarms wrote:
Wondering if there's anywhere worth going to ski during the autumn half term 28th October to 5th November? I imagine somewhere high altitude with conditions being unreliable so early?

Cheers in advance.

i am skiing the first November week in AUT every year for the last 10 years
You can choose one of the glaciers but my opinion is to book the flights and then rent a car and book the hotel/appartment the last days before your trip according to the conditions.
I always do so (although from GER is a piece of cake)

Firs of all, you have to accept that the Weekend they will be full , if there is enought snow and good weather
If you have kids the best options is Stubai or Sölden. However Sölden has the minus that you have to drive up to 2900 m, (or with bus) meaning that you may need snow chains (even with winter tyres)
Stubai is usually really overcrowded because is near big cities etc
Hintertux also , usually because of the race teams
Kaprun is also really full because is the only one in this area (salzburg)

The best option for me are :
Pitztal , if you dont have small kids, and you dont mind to stay 30-40 min for the Express. At the mountains usually you dont have waiting time and the slopes are really good. But this express is a pain in the A***.. unless you will be the 1st in the morning
Kaunteral , if you dont mind to drive the 18 U-Turns. Probably the less visited glacier.

PS i love the glacier skiing in Autumn...but with the kids i decided to leave it for the next couple of years (or more). Usually the weather is crap, snow conditions sometimes also, and for kids not the best time to ski. And to pay so much and cannot skiing because of the weather / snow conditions, or because the few slopes are really full doesnt worth it.

PS no idea if the conditions are a little bit better in Saas Fee or Zermatt

PS probably the BEST option if the Sulden Glacier in S.Tirol . If it is open this time of the year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied in Saas Fee and Zermatt at the end of September and into October in the past and had some good skiing. High altitude is the key and both these resorts are as high as you can go.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy