Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the best European resorts for Autumn Half Term Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if there's anywhere worth going to ski during the autumn half term 28th October to 5th November? I imagine somewhere high altitude with conditions being unreliable so early?

Cheers in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
menatarms wrote:
Wondering if there's anywhere worth going to ski during the autumn half term 28th October to 5th November? I imagine somewhere high altitude with conditions being unreliable so early?

Cheers in advance.

Austria would be my recommendation, with a twin centre trip to Hintertux and Stubai glaciers.

Fly to Munich then hire a car. It's a very pleasant drive. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laandgraf in the Netherlands or Peer in Belgium
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@menatarms, Assuming you're asking because you have kids, save your money and book them onto one of the UK Fridge Freestyle weeks that usually run in half-terms and then go large in the proper ski season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We normally go to Pitztal but that's boardercross training. Solden is usually up an running by then but can be limited and a bit sketchy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@menatarms, seems very early in the year for this question, many areas still open for a few weeks yet. I would concur with the fly to Munich (or Innsbruck or Salzburg) and hiring a car suggestion. If there are good pre season conditions then there is a reasonable choice of glacier areas. If it is warm & sunny, as it has been in recent years, then bring hiking boots and walk, the mountains can be very beautiful at that time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even glacier conditions can be hit and miss that time of year, but you could get lucky. The problem is that if they are not great, there won't be a lot else to do – it's very much off-season, and the bike parks, summer huts, outdoor swimming areas etc. will largely be shut.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mate takes his family to Solden for the first FIS race of the season

They love it

Skiing and watching the pros

Always has a great time with good snow conditions

From 6:33

https://theskipodcast.com/podcast/159-skiing-in-austria-in-october-piste-maps-whether-to-rent-or-buy-your-snowboard/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies!

Bergmeister wrote:
menatarms wrote:

Cheers in advance.

Austria would be my recommendation, with a twin centre trip to Hintertux and Stubai glaciers.

Fly to Munich then hire a car. It's a very pleasant drive. Very Happy

This sounds like a great trip! Are conditions reliable there at that time of year?

Quote:
Mike Pow
PostPosted: Wed 12-04-23 15:19 Post subject:
Mate takes his family to Solden for the first FIS race of the season

They love it

Skiing and watching the pros

Always has a great time with good snow conditions

From 6:33

https://theskipodcast.com/podcast/159-skiing-in-austria-in-october-piste-maps-whether-to-rent-or-buy-your-snowboard/

This sounds very cool, we're both very interested in watching ski racing too. Just listening to the podcast, sounds very interesting a good way to get in that 2nd ski holiday, the worry is though if conditions are like last year it could be a bit of a grim week.

Quote:
RedandWhiteFlachau
PostPosted: Wed 12-04-23 14:35 Post subject:
@menatarms, Assuming you're asking because you have kids, save your money and book them onto one of the UK Fridge Freestyle weeks that usually run in half-terms and then go large in the proper ski season.

Not kids but my ski buddy is a teacher.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
menatarms,

We haven't been for 8 years at that time of the year - as Mrs B is no longer a teacher - but over the years we must have done at least 15 autumn ski trips and never had a bad one! Very Happy

Highly recommended!

The villages near the glaciers are beautiful and B&B accommodation was always plentiful and reasonably priced. I'm sure you'd love the experience.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@menatarms, solden ski race is going to be November instead of October this year
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@menatarms, I've been to Hintertux in November several times and the conditions have generally been quite good. Although there is accommodation at Hintertux itself the base area is very small with just a few hotels, I've always stayed a few miles further down the valley at the village of Lanersbach, there's a free skibus service runs from there to and from Hintertux itself. I've stayed both at the hotel Jäger on half board (very good food), and more recently at a good value B&B the Alpenrose. There are several places to eat out in the evening nearby.

Getting there it's best to fly into Munich and then either rent a car from the airport or use Four Seasons Travel who provide a good value door to door transfer service.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glacier conditions can be pretty decent from early October. This was Hintertux around the 7th/8th of the month last year Very Happy

And the beautiful autumn colours are a bonus at that time of year.

As @Bergmeister has alluded to, Hintertux and Stubai would definitely be a good shout for late October skiing in anything like a normal year. Very Happy Two different glaciers would make for a great trip and provide a bit of variety, given that areas can be a bit limited at that time.

If not the above combo, then the following would fit the bill:

- Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) and Hintertux. Kaprun is an easy journey if flying to Salzburg (eg Ryanair).
- Hintertux and Sölden.
- Hintertux and Pitztal.
- Pitztal and Sölden.

Autumn and summer glacier ski trips might have their detractors, but I'm a big fan and would urge anyone who fancies it to give it a try. Chances are you'll love it @menatarms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
menatarms,

We haven't been for 8 years at that time of the year - as Mrs B is no longer a teacher - but over the years we must have done at least 15 autumn ski trips and never had a bad one! Very Happy

Highly recommended!

The villages near the glaciers are beautiful and B&B accommodation was always plentiful and reasonably priced. I'm sure you'd love the experience.

I think so too!

Quote:
@menatarms, solden ski race is going to be November instead of October this year

https://www.soelden.com/skiworldcup website says 28th-29th October? Don't think we could get there by the Saturday but should be able to catch the mens on the Sunday.

Quote:
Alastair Pink
PostPosted: Wed 12-04-23 16:32 Post subject:
@menatarms, I've been to Hintertux in November several times and the conditions have generally been quite good. Although there is accommodation at Hintertux itself the base area is very small with just a few hotels, I've always stayed a few miles further down the valley at the village of Lanersbach, there's a free skibus service runs from there to and from Hintertux itself. I've stayed both at the hotel Jäger on half board (very good food), and more recently at a good value B&B the Alpenrose. There are several places to eat out in the evening nearby.

Getting there it's best to fly into Munich and then either rent a car from the airport or use Four Seasons Travel who provide a good value door to door transfer service.

We're based in the north so thought it would be fun to drive across via ferry to Amsterdam and drive the rest of the way, 10 hours or so driving doesn't seem too bad and could be pretty fun. If we can find another skier or 2 would bring the price down a lot too. Also that way no paying stupid ski carriage fees!

Quote:
mountainaddict
PostPosted: Wed 12-04-23 16:47 Post subject:
Glacier conditions can be pretty decent from early October. This was Hintertux around the 7th/8th of the month last year Very Happy

Wow that looks great! We're quite keen on Solden to see the racing, and the area looks fairly big as well. I'll take a look at the others too though; probably a stupid question but do all these areas have chairlifts and/or gondolas or are they more for ski touring?

Thanks for all these replies guys I wish I'd looked into this years ago! Massive facepalm! Finally ordered my first set of (dream snowHead ) skis and am very keen to put them to maximum use (get some of that "they'll save money in the long run" value back lol).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
menatarms wrote:
probably a stupid question but do all these areas have chairlifts and/or gondolas or are they more for ski touring?

I can only speak for Hintertux as that's the only one of these places I've been.

Not 100% sure what will be open in October/November, but it's 3 separate gondola's to get up to the top of the glacier. From there, there's some t-bars, a couple of chairs, or loop the top gondola. Very much like any other ski resort, not touring.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

No surprise. The WC races there last autumn were held in record high temperatures.
latest report
@menatarms, the FIS calendar isn't published yet but I saw elsewhere it was going to be november
latest report
swskier wrote:
menatarms wrote:
probably a stupid question but do all these areas have chairlifts and/or gondolas or are they more for ski touring?

I can only speak for Hintertux as that's the only one of these places I've been.

Not 100% sure what will be open in October/November, but it's 3 separate gondola's to get up to the top of the glacier. From there, there's some t-bars, a couple of chairs, or loop the top gondola. Very much like any other ski resort, not touring.

awesome! already hoping this can be an annual trip and we can explore around.

Quote:
holidayloverxx
PostPosted: Wed 12-04-23 18:27 Post subject:
@menatarms, the FIS calendar isn't published yet but I saw elsewhere it was going to be november

Ah I see. Found a provisional schedule, it says the final one will be published at the end of May: https://skiproguru.com/fis-alpine-world-cup-calendar-2023-2024/
snow report
@menatarms, with respect to ski carriage fares. Austrian, Swiss and Lufthansa let you take ski bags in addition to your hold luggage for free (Lufthansa you need to phone to add not sure latest for other two), as long as you buy a ticket that includes hold baggage.

BA allows you to take a ski bag upto 190cm instead of your hold bag.

Just in case thst helps with options
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@menatarms, with respect to ski carriage fares. Austrian, Swiss and Lufthansa let you take ski bags in addition to your hold luggage for free (Lufthansa you need to phone to add not sure latest for other two), as long as you buy a ticket that includes hold baggage.

BA allows you to take a ski bag upto 190cm instead of your hold bag.

Just in case thst helps with options

Cheers that's actually really helpful. Lufthansa fly to Innsbruck so no ski carriage is nice (although they charge for check in luggage so I'm not sure it's much difference...). I was looking at ski bags just now actually so that 190 is good to keep in mind, a lot are longer than that...

I'm noticing car rental in austria is much cheaper than I assumed it would be, so maybe flying to Innsbruck is the better option, a little more expensive overall, but potentially an extra day's skiing.
snow report
@menatarms, I think you need to be flexible, much will depend on the weather. Autumn often brings beautiful sunny weather but of course you might get the week when it is windy and wet! It is very much off season so car hire & accommodation will be cheap (though many places will be closed, note 1st November is a fairly serious public holiday, many Gasthofs etc will close for the day). The concept of trying two areas is a good one as all of them are fairly small, in practical terms that is really Hintertux & Kaprun plus maybe Stubai. The others are at the ends of long valleys which make for slow journeys between them (the Kaunertal is a long way from anywhere). Mountain walking can be great at that time (see the image above) misty mornings, crisp clear blue skies without the heat (and thunderstorms) of summer. Mountain bikes too.

I would pass on the driving from Amsterdam thing, the novelty of being able to drive at 100 mph on the Autobahns soon wears off and also bear in mind that you should have winter tyres fitted, certainly for Austria. Flights into Innsbruck (usually via Frankfurt or Vienna) should be reasonably cheap and as has been pointed out the Lufthansa group are pretty good with ski carriage if that is a concern. This trip will not be like a "proper" ski holiday it would be an autumn mountain holiday with some skiing thrown in (if you are lucky). Conditions can be very variable you might find boilerplate ice but you might get fresh powder too. Also be aware that the various ski teams use the glaciers for training so parts of the area might be reserved for their use.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@menatarms, I think you need to be flexible, much will depend on the weather. Autumn often brings beautiful sunny weather but of course you might get the week when it is windy and wet! It is very much off season so car hire & accommodation will be cheap (though many places will be closed, note 1st November is a fairly serious public holiday, many Gasthofs etc will close for the day). The concept of trying two areas is a good one as all of them are fairly small, in practical terms that is really Hintertux & Kaprun plus maybe Stubai. The others are at the ends of long valleys which make for slow journeys between them (the Kaunertal is a long way from anywhere). Mountain walking can be great at that time (see the image above) misty mornings, crisp clear blue skies without the heat (and thunderstorms) of summer. Mountain bikes too.

I would pass on the driving from Amsterdam thing, the novelty of being able to drive at 100 mph on the Autobahns soon wears off and also bear in mind that you should have winter tyres fitted, certainly for Austria. Flights into Innsbruck (usually via Frankfurt or Vienna) should be reasonably cheap and as has been pointed out the Lufthansa group are pretty good with ski carriage if that is a concern. This trip will not be like a "proper" ski holiday it would be an autumn mountain holiday with some skiing thrown in (if you are lucky). Conditions can be very variable you might find boilerplate ice but you might get fresh powder too. Also be aware that the various ski teams use the glaciers for training so parts of the area might be reserved for their use.

Hmm I see, that's food for thought. I sort of thought Soelden with the world cup and it's very hi tech looking facilities would just turn on the snow machines tbh and make sure things are open...I'll be sure to research the other areas more too. The podcast seemed very positive about it.
ski holidays
@menatarms, I would doubt that there would be much snow making at that time of year, maybe to ensure the ski racing can happen but not much more. The effort expended in water, electricity etc would not make sense in terms of the number of people who would be there. You can have a good time and a certain amount of skiing (see people's experiences above) just be aware of what is on offer.
ski holidays
I did Hintertux end of Oct 2022 and it was really bad experience. I didn't feel well which could be due to high altitude, it was quite foggy on 1 of 2 days and there was a very limited choice of opened slopes. My son was still a beginner so we were aiming for blue runs but there was actually nothing suitable for him so he needed to stay on a learning slope.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
This trip will not be like a "proper" ski holiday it would be an autumn mountain holiday with some skiing thrown in (if you are lucky). Conditions can be very variable you might find boilerplate ice but you might get fresh powder too.

This is a really really important point on managing expectations. For me Autumn skiing is about a few days high up on a glacier, lapping a limited amount of runs and building technique again after the summer. It is never going to be a proper ski holiday with kms and kms of varied runs. Understand that and you will enjoy it, but think you are going somewhere with lots of varied terrain then you might be disappointed. Doing a mountain holiday with some biking, hiking, climbing and a few days of skiing is probably more realistic. As ever though, depends on location and conditions.
snow report
And even on a good day, having got up the mountain earlier in the morning than you would normally consider, you might only have half a day's skiing. I've done some autumn skiing in Tignes when 2 out of 5 days were a write off because of weather conditions. And because of the large number of racers (to whom some good pistes are dedicated) there are competitive queues. I would only consider autumn glacier skiing as part of a coaching holiday. And when the sun comes out and the wind goes down, the views from the top are exhilarating.
snow conditions
Folk seem to be going a bit OTT about the weather IMHO...

Mountains are mountains and the weather can be extremely variable at any time of the year. You may even get bad weather in the winter ski season Shocked .

We all take a chance with any mountain trip - and we get what we get wink.
snow conditions
Quote:

Mountains are mountains and the weather can be extremely variable at any time of the year. You may even get bad weather in the winter ski season

Sure, but there's scope for skiing lower slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well the guy on the podcast sounded like he'd had great experiences skiing in october, and Soelden does have 3000m+ lifts. I think the idea that we should be flexbile though and have tempered expectations is good, thankfully this will be our 2nd ski holiday in the year so if the snow's disappointing it's not the end of the world. We're also both quite focussed on improving our technique so even if the ski area is limited I'm sure we can make the most of it (drills are fun!). It would be great if the ski pass was for a bit of a broader area mind so it would be easier to be more flexible with the other glaciers. I've never really tried mountain biking properly but would be up for having a go if there really isn't snow, or even just go for a hike. Innsbruck, Munich & Zurich are all fairly reachable too so worst case scenario we explore those (I've never been to any of them).
snow report
@menatarms, You can have great conditions in October and the weather is often very good (the locals call it Kaiserwetter - Emperor's weather, blue skies with perfect visibility). As far as I know the passes are only for individual glaciers, there are area ski passes for the wider area eg Tirol Ski card but they are season passes not worth getting for a pre season week, you are probably better off with day passes as that allows you more flexibility.
ski holidays
@menatarms,
I'd wait until just before you are due to go, then check the conditions at each glacier. Also look at Tignes, Cervinia & Zermatt.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@menatarms, You can have great conditions in October and the weather is often very good (the locals call it Kaiserwetter - Emperor's weather, blue skies with perfect visibility). As far as I know the passes are only for individual glaciers, there are area ski passes for the wider area eg Tirol Ski card but they are season passes not worth getting for a pre season week, you are probably better off with day passes as that allows you more flexibility.

I certainly hope so! Looking at the driving distances from Soelden to the other glaciers, they are within reach (maybe not Kirpan) if we're willing to do some early mornings, just means we'll have to be quite organised. I think you may be right about getting day passes to stay flexible. They do a 5 days in 7 ski pass which seems a fairly good idea if the snow looks good close to the time.

I'm really hoping the world cup is on that 28th Oct weekend as I suspect otherwise a lot of the bars and food places will stay shut.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 13-04-23 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
@menatarms,
I'd wait until just before you are due to go, then check the conditions at each glacier. Also look at Tignes, Cervinia & Zermatt.

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/our-blog/where-to-ski-in-the-alps-in-october/

I found this which seems to have some fairly good tips. Skiing Zermatt is a bit of a bucket list thing so I'd love to do it, just not sure very much will be open then. Thanks will check out Tignes too.
snow report
@menatarms, If you do go for Hintertux, then I can recommend these apartments.

http://www.zur-sonne.at/

They are dated, and the kitchens are small, but, they're a reasonable price, and they're a decent size.

As has been mentioned, there's not a lot going on in Hintertux, so to have cooking facilities might be useful!
snow conditions
Quote:

just not sure very much will be open then

that's probably true of all the glaciers, isn't it?
latest report
swskier wrote:
@menatarms, If you do go for Hintertux, then I can recommend these apartments.

http://www.zur-sonne.at/

They are dated, and the kitchens are small, but, they're a reasonable price, and they're a decent size.

As has been mentioned, there's not a lot going on in Hintertux, so to have cooking facilities might be useful!

But if M@A has a car there are a few lovely villages (with restaurants) very close to Hintertux.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@menatarms, This trip will not be like a "proper" ski holiday it would be an autumn mountain holiday with some skiing thrown in (if you are lucky).

Hmmm.... Sorry to contradict but in my experience that's the opposite of what he should expect.

Your description sounds like he should expect not to ski, when the opposite is true.

I reckon he should expect to get some "proper" skiing in and would be unlucky not to do so at that time of year.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
But if M@A has a car there are a few lovely villages (with restaurants) very close to Hintertux.

Doesn't mean anything will be open.

I have skied at Hintertux at May half-term several times, we had to ask a hotel in Vorderlanersbach to open for us (we were going to fill it). Everything else in the village was closed.
snow report
A lot to consider, I think we'll hold off on booking for as long as we can so we can anticipate the weather a little. We figure even if skiing's a wash, Innsbruck and even Munich are within reach, and renting e-bikes could be good fun too.

Thanks for all the advice! Will have my fingers crossed until the autumn for some great snow conditions.
snow report
Quote:

I think we'll hold off on booking for as long as we can

Good decision.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy