Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing at Cairngorm

Poster: A snowHead
Over the weekend the cairngorm glacier opened for summer skiing Smile and the freshly built snowpark saw heavy use untill a large crevasse opened up in the landing area wink .

Translation:

A few of us walked up Cairngorm and over to Ciste Mhaeriad. We built a kicker on a the large snow patch that remains there and had a bit of fun. Unfortunately it is an area that is much used in the winter for practising making snow holes and the like and last year an extensive network was dug. The landing area was above one of these and we broke through into it when landing one of the jumps. As it started absolutely tipping at about the same time we called it a day.

Some piccies can be found here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200506/jun06/24/index.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Horsley,

Excellent snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Horsley, is the funicular not open? If they are why did you have to walk all the way up? In any case, as you're doing such a tremendous job publicising skiing on Cairngorm couldn't they have run it specially?

Excellent photos - shame about the holes! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, it runs all year but when there's no officially open skiing you're not allowed outside the Ptarmigan apart from onto a small viewing terrace.

Part of the Visitor Management Plan they had to sign up to when they built the damn thing Sad

Although I have heard it said that it's not legally enforceable so you could just wander out and stick 2 fingers up. In Dave's case, the skis might have been a bit of a giveaway however wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, they should hve just replaced the chairlifts with better and more accessible ones - so stupid to spend all that money and then rip peeps off like that. I would have done just what you suggest, but then I don't approve of walking where there are skilifts!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,

We walked up, four of us with blades and two with skis, most wore trainers and carried their boots, I needed the space for a couple of bottles of beer so I walked up in my ski boots (CRispi CXT nordic touring boots so no worse than walking boots). If we'd waited half an hour we'd probably have been able to cadge a lift up in a lorry going to the top.

Quote:

Although I have heard it said that it's not legally enforceable so you could just wander out and stick 2 fingers up. In Dave's case, the skis might have been a bit of a giveaway however

They won't let you on the funicular in summer carrying skiing kit, and a large enough rucksac to hide blades in might also not be allowed. In winter your supossed to stay in the ski area, though its not inforced, but they won't allow you up the funicular carrying winter equipment such as iceaxe and crampons, so if your going touring and are carrying an iceaxe and crampons you have to make sure there not visible.

Legally its not inforcable, but its on the terms and conditions of carraige so if you went up on the funicular and headed out and were caught coming back in you'd be walking down.

CML have already changed the VMP once. Initially no one was allowed in or out when the closed system was in operation. Now walkers can sign in and use the facilities and then sign back out. CML are trying to change to VMP again so that they can sell one way, down only tickets ie walk up by one of the many routes up and then take the train back down. Hopefully there will be a steady drip drip of changes that loosen up the rules particularly if they show with the environmental monitoring that the changes aren't damaging the European protected sites.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, I just find the whole thing ridiculous - supposing we said "oh no, if you're a foot person you can't use the Jandri Express, you have to walk to the Grotte de Glace" Shocked Or perhaps mountian bikers would be forced to ride UP the mountain instead of using the lifts. it would kill our summer business stone dead. Is it any wonder Cairngorm are in such trouble? Bob - I'm surprised at you!!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great effort Dave, and everyone else up at Winterhighland.

You are the true enthusiasts Very Happy

Bet you're looking forward to your July turns now Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Bet you're looking forward to your July turns now

That's what Helen (H11LLY) said as we were walking back. Might make it over this weekend if the weather is good as I had planned to attempt to rollerski up from Glenmore as practise for a race in Spetember, but failed to get round to it as it was tipping it down and I had to get back to the skishop to pick up my new tele skis wich I dropped off that morning to have 7TMs fitted (unfortunately no powers left so just went for the old all mountain).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Or perhaps mountian bikers would be forced to ride UP the mountain instead of using the lifts. it would kill our summer business stone dead. Is it any wonder Cairngorm are in such trouble? Bob - I'm surprised at you!!!!

Mounatin bikes - mountain bikes aren't allowed even if you rode them up the home road. Though again legally under the new right to roam regs CML can't legally stop you.

Not Bobs fault, blame the environmentalists and planners. Funicular with VMP or no funicular. One big advantage of the funicular over the old chair is that it can run at much higher windspeeds. We would have lost a lot more skiing days over the last few years without the funicular for just that reason.

Daft that they can't carry mountain bikes up and use the traverse - 105 - zig zags and home road as a downhill track - sure it would do very little damage as it is basically a road.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In short (well relative to the Visitor Management Plan which extends to some 40pages plus appendixes):

Outwith the Officially defined Ski Season (unless there is sufficient snow for Surface Uplift Operation) the funicular is required to operate as a 'Closed System'; IE the funicular may not be used to access the mountain, except to staff/members of the following organisations: CML, Mountain Rescue, Police/Emergency services, SAIS and Moray Firth Radio. It may also be operated as a closed system during the defined ski season should there be insufficient snow, and the snow cover be deemed to be so sparse as to not offer any protection from ground damage. In plain English, snow cover on the ground matters more than the officially defined ski season, but incidentally the Ski Season is defined by the VMP/Section 50 agreement as been 23rd December to 30th April. Whereas in 2006 the ski tows opened in November and closed on 7th May.

The System is 'Closed' from the inside only. This means that on Saturday we were not permitted to use the Funicular for uplift, but on reaching the top station were permitted to enter and use the facilities within the Ptarmigan (with the exception of the funicular). However at present if you enter the building from the mountain you must exit the building and make your own way off the mountain, you may not download on the funicular, BUT that is currently under review and a consultation is underway to lift this restriction. If the VMP is changed in this regard, then it will still NOT be possible to use the train to get up the mountain when the closed system is in operation, but it will be possible to come off the mountain, enter the Ptarmigan and buy a one way funicular ticket to go down. All Clear so far? wink

The VMP is required to implement a Section 50 agreement between CML, the Highland Council and SNH. Section 50 is an obscure clause in Scottish planning law, and section 50 agreements are legally binding planning restrictions and can only be altered by the consent of all signatories; they have no direct equivalent elsewhere in the UK.

At first the VMP enforced a completely closed system at the Ptarmigan, you could not enter from the Mountain when the closed system was in force. The absurdity of this situation, and concerns that it was a safety issue given decades of open access to the old Ptarmigan lead to common sense prevailing and the Section 50 agreement being amended to allow walkers and climbers to enter the building.

IN TERMS OF WINTER USEAGE AND SNOWSPORTS:

Contrary to popular belief there is no requirement for those with snowsports tickets to remain within the Ski Patrol/Ski Area boundary (not necessarily the same thing). A condition of EU funding for the funicular is that it has no adverse effect on EU designated conservation areas which border the Ski Area, thus the Funicular may not be used to access the Plateau or the Northern Corries west of Coire Cas. However it is acceptable within the terms of the VMP to use the funicular to ski in say Coire Loagh Mor, or the Aonach Ridge to return to the Ciste Carpark, both which are recognised (and partly fenced) ski runs but out with the patrolled area.

The issue is further confused by the fact that a Section 50 agreement CAN NOT BE RETROSPECTIVE. Thus neither can the VMP which implements it. So the restrictions on accessing the Plateau or Sneachda do not apply to other lifts, thus it is ok under the VMP to take the funicular up, then use the Ptarmigan Tow and go off touring over the Plateau! In effect the VMP has very little actual impact on skiers, it is however a condition of lift tickets “that all activites be undertaken with regard to the EU sites”, so skiers and boarders are expected to take into account snow conditions etc before venturing into the protected areas.

The people that have lost out most are winter climbers who used to make use of the chairs in the dead of winter to allow them to make the most of short day light hours when venturing over the back of the 'Gorm, and summer sightseers and birdwatchers. Prior to the VMP the RSPB was in effect one of CML's largest summer customers, using the Chair for access to the high reaches of the Loch A'an sector of the Abernethy Reserve with guided walks etc.

The next logical step would seem to be to allow a completely open system in winter. The present set-up creates a farcical situation where the effective result is; you can use the funicular to gain access to the mountain in winter on foot so long as you are not suitably equipped to be on the mountain in winter.

The section 50 agreement requires CML to limit access to the mountain by enforcing exponentially increasing parking charges in the Cas Carpark to non-funicular users, while creating a clearway on the Ski Road and closing the Ciste Carpark and Sugar Bowl Carparks outwith the winter season. So far these have been held as 'reserve' powers under the VMP, and will continue to remain un-implemented so long as monitoring work shows the VMP/Section 50 agreement is meeting it's objectives.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Horsley wrote:
Mounatin bikes - mountain bikes aren't allowed even if you rode them up the home road. Though again legally under the new right to roam regs CML can't legally stop you.

Yep. I reckon that's the principle reasoning behind all of the new stone drainage channels!! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland, Clear as mud! thanks for the clarification, but I still find it hard to believe that any company would agree to such clearly trade restictive conditions. I had not realised that things were quite so bad. No mountain bikes eh? Might be a blessing, but i used to bike all around the area when I lived there (not up Cairngorm actually, but all around the area in between Aviemore and CAringorm and off the either side), and never had any problem with it. Is it just Cairngorm or has this spread too? I'm rethingking my plans to retire there! Shock
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Bike thing on CairnGorm was really down to HIE as the landowners. The Land Reform Act though put an end to "no mountain bikes beyond this point". That said the steeper pitches of the hill-road would be hellish to climb on a bike because the surface is so loose, and the drainage channels would mean 'game over' if you messed up at any speed on the way down!

With regards to why a company would agree to the restrictions on trade - SNH would have formally objected to the funicular development, but for the closed system, so it was basically a take it or leave it situation for CML. In the lead up to building the funicular, the conclusion was reached that there were only two genuine options, build a funicular or do nothing. In terms of raw stats the funicular has been a significant gain to snowsports, some stats from Mid Feb 2004:

Days since start of season: 53 days
Operational days Funicular: Open 46 days (Lost 7 days)
White Lady Chairlift - Operational Conditions: Open 20 days (Lost 33 days)

In under 2months the funicular meant an extra 26days of operation for snowsports. or look at it another way - the funicular reduced days lost to adverse weather by 80%!

Such stats can't tell the whole story, and if the White Lady Chairlift was carrying pasangers up the Gorm today in it's 45th Year there may still be 17 functioning ski lifts on that mountain. On the other hand there might zero, we will just never know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

section 50 agreements are legally binding planning restrictions and can only be altered by the consent of all signatories; they have no direct equivalent elsewhere in the UK.

Their equvalent under planning law in Engalnd and Wales are Section 106 agreements. They can cover a huge range of issues. in the National Parks we use them most frequently to restrict the occupancy of new dwellings.
ski holidays
All this is absolutely fascinating - really. Seriously. the whole point of the funicular as I remember it was the idea that it could operate in much higher winds, but I wonder whether, in retrospect, more careful siting and replacing the existing lifts might not have produced just as much saving and less restrictions.

I have a pic I took on the summit years ago on my wall - fog coming up in all directions and just the weather station and the top stones showing above - very dramatic, but it seems a shame that peeps who aren't prepared to walk all the way up (me for one) won't be allowed to go out and walk just that last bit, or across the Ptarmigan a bit and look around. Or even pic-nic - is pic-nicing sacriligeous? Probably. Keep the info coming though - I for one love to hear all about it.

Met a Glasgow family yesterday who were astonished to hear about your walk up to the top and ski adventures - delighted too! Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen was back again this weekend:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=931
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=932
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=933

I'm afraid I stayed home on Saturday and did some gardening and there was sport to watch - good result for Andy Murray, but we won't mention the football Sad or cricket Sad . Sunday I did 7.5km of classic rollersking and then had some coaching on technique. Preparation for a 15km race next Sunday. In Hetton Lyons in Durham if anyone is interested.
latest report
Dave Horsley, Pity there's not a long shot to see how big the patch is. Iain Finlayson always used to tell me that all year he could find a patch of snow big enough to practise his short swings on... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,

There was a long shot from a week ago at:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200506/jun06/24/005_l.jpg

It looks a bit odd as there is a large square patch to the right that is of a consistant gradient and about the size of Alford dry ski slope (if you know it). Thats where we built the kicker. The bid in the middle is not as long but ends in a much steeper slope of about 5-10m which is basically the thickness of snow. Then along the left is a longer fairly flat crescent of snow.
snow report
Dave Horsley, thanks - sorry Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy