Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LofoTEN year anniversary 2023: Skin Properly ***now with photos***

Poster: A snowHead
It is time…

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-04-23 21:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today will be good.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smash it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Yup, today is good Smile

@Mike Pow, Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

@arno and @andanotherthing enjoying a Lofoten classic. Lots of the wind the other day so technical skinning on some bone hard snow and ‘variable’ on the descents. 7 hours in the saddle: making the most of the good weather before tomorrow happens…
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Bedroom view weather check: the sun hat is staying at home today Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sharkymark wrote:

Bedroom view weather check: the sun hat is staying at home today Laughing

... don't even need to get out of bed to check conditions Twisted Evil
https://www.youtube.com/live/k-ehDHyNt3U
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
following as considering this trip Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today was pretty savage weather wise: no phone pics but got a few on the proper camera that will appear once I get back. A howling gale, zero to limited vis and sandblast grapul to rain. Managed a few hours out bagging a couple of laps of a bowl 15 mins or so from the lodge. Still worth it.

Some statistics so far:

Sea eagle count = 3
Norwegian Sea dips = 6
Kvikk Lunsj consumption = 27
Equipment unintentionally falling down the mountain = 1

The current forecast looks more clement for tomorrow but as it is here, we really have to wait and see.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sharkymark, for balance there were also spells of visibility...!! Happy (occasionally...).

...though not as much as yesterday, I'll grant you!

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good snow, fantastic views.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
…in case you were wondering where we’d disappeared to, we haven’t (yet). A few days of classic Lofoten weather (rain, snow, wind…lots of wind) and some well-timed sniping by @offpisteskiing of good lines and good snow. Last day was today but sadly finally beaten by the elements: 12 hours of heavy rain and high winds with low vis above 200m meant coffee Laughing . Photos on the proper camera will appear over the next week or two with some more commentary on the skiing…
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally home and thanks to rain and wind, I’ve made a start on the photos. Here’s a taster. They’ll start appearing this week with any luck!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking forward to them. snowHead Vicarious gnarl.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sharkymark, so pleased the bad weather predicted didn't ruin ur whole week , we were so lucky the week before you , have got some awesome pics to add to this thread if you don't mind snowHead
snow report
@Dabber, it's very rare to get such a prolonged period of perfect skiing weather, according to the locals. You properly lucked out!
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, yep went prepared for all eventuality but had the best week ever , the thought of inclement conditions wouldn’t stop me going back tho as I loved the islands , amazed how different the feel is in each location we go to , finnmark is next on the list I think
snow conditions
It's taken a while to sort out the wheat from the chaff but finally onto post-processing the best so here goes...

Day 1: the usual morning flight from Oslo to Narvik and a cheeky ski tour on the way to the lodge. I didn't take anything that inspiring; probably exacerbated by the distraction of skiing the only cold, reasonably deep powder of the week. However, I did get a nice shot of the sunset from the lodge.

snow conditions
@Sharkymark,

Thanks - some great photos there. Very Happy

It looks stunning and is on our to do list of ski tours.

On a related note, we still have spaces available on our ski touring trip to Lyngen next month (11 to 14 May inclusive). Details are included below:-

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164230
snow report
Day 2: The temperature was starting to rise and combined with the effects of wind the previous days, we chose to revisit mellow but classic zone around Varden. Some of the most aesthetic views in the archipelago. @Arno, @Andanotherthing and Tim (he's a sH too but can't remember his 'real' name) acting as willing subjects on the ascent.

snow report
Should change my username to skinningmodel Laughing
snow conditions
"and Tim (he's a sH too but can't remember his 'real' name)"

That'll be @Going Downhill Smile
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Should change my username to skinningmodel Laughing

Not @skinnymodel...?
latest report
Going Downhill wrote:
"and Tim (he's a sH too but can't remember his 'real' name)"

That'll be @Going Downhill Smile

So it is Embarassed
latest report
Day 2 cont.: @Andanotherthing skiing in and out of the shade on a north facing pitch away from the 'crowds' on the main peak.

snow report
Brilliant photos! Thanks for posting Very Happy
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Day 2: The temperature was starting to rise and combined with the effects of wind the previous days, we chose to revisit mellow but classic zone around Varden. Some of the most aesthetic views in the archipelago. @Arno, @Andanotherthing and Tim (he's a sH too but can't remember his 'real' name) acting as willing subjects on the ascent.

Stunning. Must go to Norway!
snow report
@Bergmeister, thanks!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, yes, you must!
ski holidays
Day 3: The weather turned. After 2 or 3 weeks of all time conditions, the weather finally broke with warmer temperatures, strong winds, precipitation of all varieties and binary visibility. @offpisteskiing chose a 700m peak close to Svolvaer airport which would be under the cloud and offer some shelter from the weather. The team skinning (properly) in heavy snow on the ascent and then a shot of @offpisteskiing with ominous heavy weather (it really was that dark) shrouding the 1000m+ peaks on the opposite side of the fjord. Not many pics today as for the first time, my trusty Fuji XT3 succumbed to the weather and started misbehaving.

latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
Day 3: The weather turned.... with binary visibility.

Binary

adjective
relating to, composed of, or involving two things.
relating to, using, or denoting a system of numerical notation that has 2 rather than 10 as a base.
noun
the binary system of notation.
"the device is counting in binary"
something having two parts.

I'm intrigued. What was the visibility like? Puzzled

Give us a clue! wink
snow conditions
whatever it means, that photo of the team skinning through the trees is fantastic! snowHead
ski holidays
Presumably "of and on". That is: sometimes you can see what you need to see, sometimes you can't see nothing. (Double negative intentional).
ski holidays
Binary as in, below the cloud you can see, above and in it you couldn't! The tree line sits at about 200-300m so there's no contrast at all in a white out other than the odd rock.
latest report
Day 3 cont.: ...later that afternoon, the storm cleared as golden hour approached and we were treated to some epic light just before dinner.

snow conditions
Having captured these shots, I decided to do a pano...***banger alert***

snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
Binary as in, below the cloud you can see, above and in it you couldn't! The tree line sits at about 200-300m so there's no contrast at all in a white out other than the odd rock.

Oh. I see. Very Happy
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Day 3 cont.: ...later that afternoon, the storm cleared as golden hour approached and we were treated to some epic light just before dinner.

Wow! Very Happy
ski holidays
These pics are getting me excited for our Lyngen trip next month! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Hei! @Sharkymark, Just back from weeks in Lyngen and Arnoya. Exceptional weather last week, amazing conditions. Much skinning was done - all of it properly

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy