Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free National snow show tickets

Poster: A snowHead
Chuggers presumably pay to be there. Sounds like Raccoon are rifling the bins of content.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Double edged sword that, if they didn’t get so many exhibitors paying, even if chuggers though I would expect they would prefer relevant stands, then the tickets wouldn’t be free?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair point @ster - but their overbearing presence had us on our toes to ensure avoidance. Even eye contact could prove fatal...I understand that charities (and the event) need to make money, but today was absolute overkill.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ster wrote:
Double edged sword that, if they didn’t get so many exhibitors paying, even if chuggers though I would expect they would prefer relevant stands, then the tickets wouldn’t be free?

Back in the day when ski shows were relevant people paid for tickets ( or scored the odd comp) and there were plenty of relevant stalls. Now I suspect tix need to be free to draw enough exhibitors, and they are being priced out too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
ster wrote:

Back in the day when ski shows were relevant people paid for tickets ( or scored the odd comp) and there were plenty of relevant stalls. Now I suspect tix need to be free to draw enough exhibitors, and they are being priced out too.

I suspect you’re absolutely correct - exhibitors all priced out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from visiting with the kids

Agree with everyone’s comments. Too many stalls not connected with winter sports. Less stalls, I presume some are just doing NEC or London.

The lunch time Question of Snow was very very good, jenny, Alcott, Leigh etc

Disappointing to see that they didn’t have the beginner ski slope they had last time and just had a rolling carpet one which could only take a couple people at a time

We’ve said we won’t go again next year but may consider London. Really enjoyed it when it was back in Battersea with the demo slope outside, amazing Pizzas rather than the normal corporate NEC food
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, very disappointed comapred to previous years.

The skipodcast panel with @iainm re. train travel to the slopes was very interesting though - definitly check that out online for anyone who didn't see it live.

I've already had an email asking me to complete a survey about the show. Although it says it's 'quick' there were quite a few questions, and lots of opportunity to provide feedback. Which I've done Smile

I'd like to see it again at the NEC, if they can get it back to similar as previous years.

(I did have interesting chats with Fauna skis, and people at the Norway stand, and am seriously looking at both for the future - but way less brands etc than I'd normally talk to)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx, also really enjoyed the train travel session - even managed to get a question in!

The stands that weren't hard selling were pretty good, had useful info from Nordica and ski Abruzzo.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ended up spending a lot of money - a holiday and some new skis. Sadly there will not be one next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bag of Spanners comes to mind.
Lots of professional beggers, lots of stalls unrelated to skiing and £5 for a pretzel!!!
I loved the old shows with the aerial displays, fashion shows and film premiers but I think it's all behind us now. Just not a lot to keep people "in" the show for much more than a quick browse of the clearance gear.
London only next year so no chance I'll be heading that far south...I'll get northern withdrawal symptoms and start to rant...not like me at all lol
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with all the comments here, it was certainly smaller than last year and almost all the same stands in attendance.

Is the brum show 100% not happening next year or just rumours...?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes the organisers have annonced there will be no show next year. This afternoon there were almost no visitors present, only stand holders. Come 15:30 it was almost desterted. Mind you at the end of yesterday there were some good discounts on pasties.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don't have to be the brain of Britain to realise that in the modern age of the Internet/social media that these type of shows are doomed. The only reason that the NEC show a couple of years ago was a (mild) success was because it was about the first thing one could go out after lockdown so doing something 'normal' again seemed like a treat, when in reality that show sucked too.

One only had to looked at this years exhibitor list to see what the outcome was going to be.

The benefit of the shows now being binned is that the ski brands that didn't support this years snowHeads OktoberTest will hopefully now make demo skis available for the test rather than keeping for the shows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went to Birmingham yesterday for the show and it was dire. Free tickets or not, it wasn't worth the fuel or parking cost. The cost of food was more than at a French mountain restaurant.

All a bit sad really.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now glad we decided not to head to the show on Sunday after all, despite OH paying £24 for parking in advance. Wonder if London will have more exhibitors/less chuggers? Also wonder if it was a mistake to have two separate shows. One big big show next year please - wherever.
snow conditions
Lots not good, but after a Saturday visit... Ski Podcast panel stuff excellent (and thought-provoking); ditto Ed Leigh's talk - funny, informative, and real (this resort is good but expensive, this resort is small but in good snow ideal for a strike-mission etc).
snow report
fixx wrote:
I did have interesting chats with Fauna skis, and people at the Norway stand, and am seriously looking at both for the future

Voss and Myrk - perfect Norway exploring/weekender...
www.fall-line.co.uk/norway-northern-powerhouse/
snow conditions
@Oblos, I was considering going to London next week, the exhibitors and chuggers list looks broadly similar, given the feedback on Birmingham I'm not going to bother with London.
latest report
hi all, I see the Hemel snow centre are going to be at London this weekend, were they at the NEC last weekend, and if so were they giving away free vouchers for slope time?

they have normally done this in previous years, have and just wanted to check if there were any freebies on offer.

like most people on here, I have freebies for the Excel this Saturday, and although reports of the show have not been complimentary so far, but seeing it's a reasonably easy journey for me on the "lizzie" line to get there I will be going with my youngest daughter.
snow conditions
I cannot recall Hemel being at the snow show but Telford were and selling some massively discounted sessions.
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
hi all, I see the Hemel snow centre are going to be at London this weekend, were they at the NEC last weekend, and if so were they giving away free vouchers for slope time?

they have normally done this in previous years, have and just wanted to check if there were any freebies on offer.

like most people on here, I have freebies for the Excel this Saturday, and although reports of the show have not been complimentary so far, but seeing it's a reasonably easy journey for me on the "lizzie" line to get there I will be going with my youngest daughter.

They were at the NEC at the weekend giving away slope time codes for Hemel and Manchester. They will be at EXCEL as well.
snow conditions
@anarchicsaltire, cheers
latest report
From a professional perspective it was great to join Iain, James and Katie on stage for The Ski Podcast 'Off The Beaten Path' talk

Hopefully those in attendance found it interesting and informative

From a customer's viewpoint it was disappointing and quite soulless

I really enjoyed Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards' talk

Spoke with Norway, Aosta and Abruzzo - the destinations which piqued my interest

The Fauna Skis looked excellent, and if I had the spare cash I would have come home with the 178cm Alparka twin tips (115-86-115)

Got the cost of my transport to the show in ski magazines and a couple of buffs, so nothing lost there

Very disappointing to hear that there will be no show in Birmingham next Autumn

I kind of understand the pricing strategy I think

Free admission to get the maximum footfall so they can say to exhibitors and sponsors that we have x number of visitors

The higher that number the more chance exhibitors and sponsors will get involved

But it looks like it's backfired

Less attendance = unhappy exhibitors

If they'd charged £10 for adults and £5 for children/seniors/etc and donated half that admission fee to one or all of the snowsports charities / organisations then everyone wins

Creates a good feeling for those attending and exhibiting to be connected to UK snowsports

Plus they need a big showy event/activity like Big Air

The talks are great but they often clash and they're certainly for the already converted

So London it is next season
snow report
Excel is a great venue, but it is the 'wrong' side of London... NEC should work better but to be honest I didn't know about it until after the event - I was only aware of it happening in London.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
......If they'd charged £10 for adults and £5 for children/seniors/etc and donated half that admission fee to one or all of the snowsports charities / organisations then everyone wins.....

Or they charge £10 for adults/seniors and £5 for children and then half the stand prices to try and make it financially viable for brands/retailers to attend. The brands/retailers took an absolute beating during covid which was immediately followed by a poor 22/23 season (poor snow, energy bills, cost of living etc).
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
......If they'd charged £10 for adults and £5 for children/seniors/etc and donated half that admission fee to one or all of the snowsports charities / organisations then everyone wins.....

Or they charge £10 for adults/seniors and £5 for children and then half the stand prices to try and make it financially viable for brands/retailers to attend. The brands/retailers took an absolute beating during covid which was immediately followed by a poor 22/23 season (poor snow, energy bills, cost of living etc).

They could do both

£5 to charities/organisations

£5 split between Raccoon and the exhibitors
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

If they'd charged £10 for adults and £5 for children/seniors/etc and donated half that admission fee to one or all of the snowsports charities / organisations then everyone wins

Creates a good feeling for those attending and exhibiting to be connected to UK snowsports

Too late for that. Now they've created the precedent of free tickets and even then consumers have left disappointed or pissed off at having wasted their time and incidental costs.

The ski show format was on a long downhill slope before Covid. I actually dropped in on the Bham show early Sunday pm in the first year back buoyed by impressive comments and found it pretty poor. I totally get why vendors are reluctant to gamble on the costs but everyone that no longer sees value reduces the viability of the whole.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Too late for that. Now they've created the precedent of free tickets and even then consumers have left disappointed or pissed off at having wasted their time and incidental costs.

The ski show format was on a long downhill slope before Covid. I actually dropped in on the Bham show early Sunday pm in the first year back buoyed by impressive comments and found it pretty poor. I totally get why vendors are reluctant to gamble on the costs but everyone that no longer sees value reduces the viability of the whole.

Agreed

They've wasted a great opportunity
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:

The skipodcast panel with @iainm re. train travel to the slopes was very interesting though - definitly check that out online for anyone who didn't see it live.

That's great to hear @fixx - thanks! Sadly, have to report it won't be online: you had to be there! #exclusivecontent
latest report
ElzP wrote:
@fixx, also really enjoyed the train travel session - even managed to get a question in!

Good to hear @ElzP - that was a really busy session, was really happy with that, especially as we were up against the 'A listers' over on the main stage

latest report
wiigman wrote:
Lots not good, but after a Saturday visit... Ski Podcast panel stuff excellent (and thought-provoking)

That's good to hear. I had some excellent panellists to help me...

snow report
FWIW I'm told the code 'SKIPODCAST' should still work for London and for my panels, at least, I have different guests and content
snow conditions
@iainm, looks like people are definitely interested in the options, glad it was so well attended!

Meant to say, but got nervous - you can get to pretty much every ski resort in the Aosta valley by bus from either Aosta itself or the train stations along the valley. Even tiny Cogne! So another place you can do entirely car free. snowHead
snow report
Good contribution. I remember writing a post for the much missed Ski2Champoluc about train travel. Quick train from Paris to Turin and then connections IIRC
ski holidays
@iainm, yup - Paris to Turin, Turin to Verres and then bus up from there. Dead easy! Very Happy

Although not so easy this year perhaps after the landslide near Modane...
latest report
I think the trains are still running. I watched a video and they have increased the protection at the bottom of the slope and around the supports for the motorway.
snow report
@iainm, oh brilliant, thanks for the heads up! In September they were talking about the line being out of action for a long while!
ski holidays
I think I have had three emails now with the tickets for the same order, they must be very keen for punters to turn up.
snow conditions
It's a bit... small.
snow report
to be honest, after the comments from last weeks show at the NEC, i wasn't holding out much hope for today at London, but was reasonably impressed. obviously not as good as previous incarnations at Olympia etc, but worth the trip as A, it was free, and B, it was only a fairly short journey for us on the "lizzie" line.

grabbed a few lift passes for Hemel, that we will use in the next few weeks.
entered a few spin the wheel comps, and won some beanies/caps etc, and entered our emails for several holiday prizes.

one thing we did notice, is that there was not many toffee vodka/gin outlets as previous years Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy