Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2023 Easter ski thread

Poster: A snowHead
(Oh, and we snuck past the ‘meat police’ un-noticed’)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eurotunnel to Val d'Isere today. No major delays, just a small accident and general weight of rush hour traffic round Chambry. No fuel problems.

Eurotunnel was excellent, just 1 hour from the check-in booth to train departing, including dog check-in. Would've left a bit sooner but we just missed the boarding for our scheduled train as we were letting the dog get some exercise before going through border control.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you

Hmm, we always have a carrier bag in the back seat full of meaty Waitrose wraps for the crossing which we eat in the car or stood outside it (whilst on the train moving). It's not done on purpose or out of spite as I usually just forget.

Have been steering wheel swabbed, asked how long roof box has been left unattended, to open all windows for passport checks but never about meat.

I think the French have better things to think about......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Thorens for Sunday to Sunday "Easter Week" - any other SH going that way ? Looking to find other snowboarders while better half is at lessons in the morning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kettonskimum, true, we also had a selection of pasties, pork pies and car meat as Bob Mortimer would say - that didn’t cross my mind either!

Saturdays journey from Dijon to Les Arcs was uneventful in easy traffic. 4.5 hours or so to Bourg, punctuated with a short stop at a pleasant lakeside Aire just outside Chambery. Arrived in Bourg at 1:15 - fill up on fuel and ‘weekly shop’ at the Super U and then 30 minute drive up to 1950.

Good to see plenty of snow as we drove past the bottom of Pre St Esprit lift.

Arrived at 2:30 and were able to get into Apartment. Mad two hours unpacking, picking up hire ski’s, sorting lift pass, before a cold beer and pizza.

All set for a good week ahead!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone heading north via the Chunnel today? How awful are the queues this afternoon? I seem to recall last Easter heading back was vile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@always29, we are on the 13.20 chuntering along now. Booked on 14.50, offered 13.50 at no additional charge, but just waved along as we wound our way through. Seemed all the kiosks open for French passport and then UK passport control.
No real queues to speak of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good to hear. We're booked onto the 1706. Traffic has been fine so far, apart from an accident near Orly Airport slowing us down and then the sat nav took us off the motorway and onto the Paris ring road, where we got caught in rubber necking traffic for 10 minutes. Still the fastest route according to the sat nav. Now back on the autoroute and due into Calais in 90 minutes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’ve come up from Troyes area and absolutely plain sailing for us. Few crazy Belgians in the fast lane, plus ça change…
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pamski, thanks, we were booked on 1620, upped to 1536 and we've boarded the 1520 as we're just waved through. Less than 6hrs from Maçon, possibly the clearest easiest run we've ever had. Watch the M20/25 go to turds now I've said that!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Left VT about 3pm yesterday, overnight at Troyes and then got put on the 1150 Chunnel (1250 booked). Sailed thru passports, no delays at all.

West side of the M25 was its usual grotty self, but nothing too bad. Now back home and missing the snow and Affligem !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still quiet at Calais. Booked onto the 1720, changed to 1620 at check-in, no extra charge. Currently sitting on the train waiting to go. No queues at all. We did change our booking last night from a 2150 crossing and there were no available slots from. 7-8pm so will probably be busier later.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At Calais now. Offered the 1635 rather than 1706 for no charge, so went for that one. Just queuing for passport control, but nothing out of the ordinary and moving smoothly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had the best week in Three Valleys, got back yesterday. Probably the best conditions I can remember, so cold even the afternoon slush held off.

The guy in the ski hire place said it was better than any week in February or March
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm heading north from Genoa this morning, too long a drive to cross tonight and drive home. Will get somewhere around St Quentin tonight and find somewhere to stay. Beautiful day. Just had tyre pressure loss warning but looks and feels fine. Have reset and will cross fingers.
ski holidays
kosciosco wrote:
Just had the best week in Three Valleys, got back yesterday. Probably the best conditions I can remember, so cold even the afternoon slush held off.

The guy in the ski hire place said it was better than any week in February or March

Certainly different gravy to what we had at Christmas in Paradiski and 3V last Easter. Just the way it falls. Been a great week for sure.
snow conditions
kosciosco wrote:

Likewise, an amazing 8 days is coming to an end for us in Val Thorens. An instructor said this was winter, not April, weather. The best week of this previously wet and record warm season.
ski holidays
About to set off North from Châtel to Eurotunnel. Will be taking the cross-country route over the Jura mountains to bypass Geneva. Will pop out onto motorway near Poligny. It’s been an amazing 10 days and best April conditions I’ve seen in recent years.
snow report
Currently at La gare de Moûtiers, awaiting a regional train to Lyon. Before taking a TGV.

So far so good, no talk of delays due to strikes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 10-04-23 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Ozboy, that was always a favourite route of ours when travelling back from Les Gets. There were good spots to stop and walk the dog or have a picnic.
ski holidays
@pam w, hope your extra long journey has gone ok.
latest report
Layne wrote:

Certainly different gravy to what we had at Christmas in Paradiski and 3V last Easter. Just the way it falls. Been a great week for sure.

Same here. We had sheet ice at Christmas in Austria. And worse, the snowmaking was in full swing so we'd get a very light dusting on top, which would slip out of the way revealing the ice underneath. My husband had his confidence knocked so badly, I feared he was ready to hang up his ski boots forever. He's come back from this one rating it in his top 3 holidays ever, and raving about the difference good conditions make. We said last week that at least we had excellent accommodation at Christmas as it turned into a spa holiday with a bit of skiing, rather than being a ski holiday, so it was lovely in its own way. I'm so very glad that we made the leap and booked for Easter, and I'm grateful that the weather played ball.

Hope you're almost home now Pam W.
snow report
we drove out to Ischgl for a week was then going on to serfaus for the 2nd week(which would be now)However daughter broke her tibia jumping in to the air bag in the snow park, so have had to cut it short. Great snow conditions up to that point
snow report
Ah would have given anything to ski an extra few days in 3V! Was just a fabulous week. Absolute dream week. The runs from Mont Vallon, Saulire, Cime Caron I will be dreaming about until next January!
Very envious of those heading to the EoSB, snow in great nick up top and the forecast (FWIW this far ahead) looks great with more snow followed by sun!
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, sorry to hear that. Hope she makes a quick and uncomplicated recovery.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Sorry to hear that! Hope she recovers swiftly. That's quite a story to be able to tell.
snow conditions
@Pamski, yes, journey went fine - just home, 2221 miles. Almost all pretty effortless except that hideous last leg from Eurotunnel. M20 very busy, heavy rain, spray from trucks. Maidstone Services vile, very overcrowded, big bunches of schoolkids sitting on the floor (because no chairs left). Smell of frying. Fruit machines and garish kids' mechanical toys and toddlers nagging to go on them. Long queue for coffee and sandwich at Costa - £8.50. Arrived at Coquelles to be offered free ride on earlier train but I'd have done better to take my booked crossing and had a far more civilised break at the Eurotunnel terminal. Why anyone ever goes anywhere voluntarily on an English bank holiday defeats me. Long jams on M25.

Hundreds of relaxed, miles on the Italian and French motorways were an absolute breeze in contrast. Beautiful weather. Lovely spring foliage. Quiet service areas with no fruit machines.......
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
@Ozboy, that was always a favourite route of ours when travelling back from Les Gets. There were good spots to stop and walk the dog or have a picnic.

Just made it to the tunnel in 8 hours from leaving Châtel. Only one stop at Intermarche in Polingy for fuel and food. Stoked up on Comte and Mt D’Or cheese which is quite ripe and mouldy at the end of its season. Good run with no lorries and surprisingly low number of U.K. cars. Eurotunnel busy but flowing well - around 15 mins to get through both border controls.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Owlette wrote:

Same here. We had sheet ice at Christmas in Austria. And worse, the snowmaking was in full swing so we'd get a very light dusting on top, which would slip out of the way revealing the ice underneath. My husband had his confidence knocked so badly, I feared he was ready to hang up his ski boots forever. He's come back from this one rating it in his top 3 holidays ever, and raving about the difference good conditions make.

Your husband sounds just like me @owlette, we had 3 days in Lech at the start of January and there were more than a few frustrated tears! My confidence was in tatters, felt like I’d completely forgotten how to ski Crying or Very sad

Just got home from a week in La Plagne & can genuinely say I skied better than I ever have before. Totally epic & exactly what I needed to restore my self-belief & love of it all!!
latest report
ScarlettInSpace wrote:
Owlette wrote:

Same here. We had sheet ice at Christmas in Austria. And worse, the snowmaking was in full swing so we'd get a very light dusting on top, which would slip out of the way revealing the ice underneath. My husband had his confidence knocked so badly, I feared he was ready to hang up his ski boots forever. He's come back from this one rating it in his top 3 holidays ever, and raving about the difference good conditions make.

Your husband sounds just like me @owlette, we had 3 days in Lech at the start of January and there were more than a few frustrated tears! My confidence was in tatters, felt like I’d completely forgotten how to ski Crying or Very sad

Just got home from a week in La Plagne & can genuinely say I skied better than I ever have before. Totally epic & exactly what I needed to restore my self-belief & love of it all!!

You've summed it up perfectly! So glad you've had your confidence restored too. Sounds like you were across the valley from us at the same time. We were in Les Arcs from the 1st to the 8th. We almost booked La Plagne, but booked Les Arcs based on a recommendation on here. Husband is even talking about the Paradiski pass for next time. He loved it.
snow report
I suspect this last week has presented some of the best conditions of the season, right across a big area. A friend who had arrived in Les Saisies on Thursday of the previous week said that the place had looked more dismal than he'd ever seen it at the end of March. Pistes OK, but everything else grotty. Then Friday and Saturday delivered significant new snow and a pleasant touching up on Thursday, so that pistes had a few inches of fresh on top of the corduroy for a final day's skiing on Friday. Perfect. The weather was good too - some great sunshine, but not too warm. We were extremely lucky. The place was deserted - not a sniff of a lift queue. Many late season skiers had probably cancelled trips.
ski holidays
Just come back from Les Arcs and it was the best ever Easter conditions at the top that I have experienced! Slushy at the end of the day 200m just above Peisey Vallandry, but conditions further up remained excellent until lift closures. Everything from heavy snow storm on a couple of mornings to lovely sunshine later in the day. Great time!!

On the way over we got through Dover docks on time with no bother, but we drove past many coaches caught up in the debacle caused by Brexit. Also many trucks parked up on the A2. Felt dreadfully sorry for all those. Now that passports have to be stamped, five people in a car can be coped with but clearly a coach can not.
ski holidays
I sit in our appartment in plagne bellecote and i barely See the lifts 200m away from me from the snowfall
It is snowing since 15.00 pm but its likely a snowstorm than normal snowfall

I have some pics in my Inst Account (turms.snow)
ski holidays
Home after a week in Arcs 1950. Saturday morning, left apartment by 9:30 and had a morning of boarding around 1950 in low vis and snowy conditions. Wrapped it up around 1:30, returned kids skis to hire shop, changed and set off down the mountain around 2:30.

Roads were clear despite the snow falling through the morning. This is the second year in a row that we have left resort in the snow.

Easy journey of 4hrs or so to overnight stay in Dijon. Back on the road at 8:30 and arrived at tunnel around 1:30 for our 15:20 booking. Really light traffic. Tunnel was quiet too - a short 4 to 5 car queue through check ins and passport controls. We were allocated an early train 1420, but as we parked up the chap said to just drive on… so we did and left on an earlier train.

Arrived home in St Albans by 3
15:30 and first load of washing on by 16:30!

General theme for this year seems to have been ‘low traffic’ - both on the roads , the tunnel and in resort. We didn’t queue for any lift more than the usual 3 or 4 people in front shuffling through the gates. It would have been completely unnecessary to pay extra for an express ticket.

To re-iterate some posts above - conditions were excellent all week.

Now off to plan next seasons trips…
ski holidays
@Richie_S, Fab report. Bonus to be home just after you should have been getting on the train.

How did you get on at Folie with the kids?
ski holidays
Well. My wife and I had fun. 17 yr old and 14 yr stayed as long as it took to down a hot chocolate and then skied back to 1950 whilst we hung about for another beer with the 10 yr old who a) was happy to stay b) not allowed to ski off with his brothers.

I did decide that it was ‘probably’ a good thing that the Folie wasn’t here 20 odd years ago when my mates and I started visiting as a group of lads…. I imagine it would have impacted our ‘first to last lift’ mentality.
ski holidays
Just jested with my 9 year old that he couldn't come skiing next year. His response 'meh'. I'm sorry, what? I probed further, unsure if he was winding me up and he said 'I know you love it, and I'm happy for you, but I'm just not bothered'.

Like a dagger to my heart!!

On an unrelated note:
For Sale. One 9, almost 10 year old. Generally good humoured. Big fan of Pokemon. Slightly defective...
ski holidays
@Owlette, how much are you prepared to pay?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy