Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2023 Easter ski thread

Poster: A snowHead
We're only a few days away from the schools breaking up for Easter (and just under two weeks away from the long Easter weekend) - so hopefully we have a mini-exodus of people and families heading to the slopes. Thought it might be nice to have a roll-call on who's going where, how are the conditions looking, and how's the forecast?

We're off to Belle Plagne with the family on the 1st April. I've been to La Plagne quite a few times before but it's the first time at Easter and the first time with the family. The slopes are looking good after a weekend of snow, and Friday onwards looks particularly snowy - in fact I'm starting to think about how arduous the trip up the mountain might be (but I'm not going to start complaining about too much snow after the season we've had!). It'll potentially be our first family trip without sun and blue skies, but I'm hoping the kids will embrace the adventure! My eldest will want to hit the snow park as she loves to do a few jumps, and I'd like to get our youngest out of his snow plough and into parallel.

So where is everyone off to this Easter? Hopes, wishes, concerns?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're off to the same area, Les Arcs.

Peisey Vallandry, so hoping to get across to La Plagne as well Smile

We were in Belle Plagne last season, it was great!

In fact some parts of Paradiski have too much snow at the moment! (is that really a thing??? Wink

Looking forward to it. We're sharing a chalet with two other families who we know!

Snow on Saturday and Sunday forecast at the moment.. Just waiting to see how the forecasts unfold for the rest of the week.. Last year we were mostly too warm!! Not sure we'll have that problem this year.. A few blue days would be great!

Only one of my sons will be in lessons, he hasn't been for a bit, we usually struggle to slow him down though! The snowparks are great in La Plagne. Might even do a few jumps or more like hops myself!!

Think we'll all try to work on our technique, but not sure which one right now - powder or carving..? Lots of corduroy last season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're flying to Norway on Saturday for a week in Trysil! Friend was there last week and they said the snow is epic
Only thing is I have a nasty case of earache I'm hoping clears up before the flight Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes le Lac on 8 April. Booked it 2 weeks ago. Me, OH and 4 kids!

Pistes look good but it will soften a lot in the afternoon.

Looking forward to morning skiing and afternoon drinks/fun in the sun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oz-en-Oisans (Alpe d'Huez) for Easter weekend, subject to French ATC strikes, Heathrow security strikes and the whims of British Airways cancellations.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
val thorens for me and my daughters, we are sharing a SC apartment with a mate and his eldest son and son's friend (from uni), our kids were in the same years at primary school together, and we have been on a couple of ski trips together before.

first easter trip with the family for me as well, usually Feb half term.

myself and eldest are driving out Thursday evening via overnight ferry to Caen, then overnight Friday in Albertville, plan to get to VT by about 9am, youngest flies out on her own Sunday eve to GVA.

have most things packed already just waiting to load the car/roof box up Wednesday eve, i will leave work around lunchtime Thursday to drive to pick up eldest from Bath then drive to Portsmouth early evening for ferry

like others, i have been keeping a keen eye on the various 3v webcams and weather reports, and am enjoying watching the snow falling in resorts, with more forecast for next week.
maybe the snow gods will be kind on us and the snow will fall at night then be clear during the day Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

youngest has recently taken up snowboarding, and will be having a private lesson on the Monday afternoon, as she has only boarded at Hemel, we are taking her skis and boots as well, as she wants to ski whilst there along with boarding.

lift passes were purchased online yesterday, so all ready to rock and roll Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad Hofgastein with my two (late-teen) boys squeezed into 1 room! Currently snowing and looking like snow for the next 9 days (rain in town)... I have doubled up on gloves and stopped looking for the missing pair of sunglasses. All packed except pants (1 each..)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike_H wrote:
Tignes le Lac on 8 April. Booked it 2 weeks ago. Me, OH and 4 kids!

Pistes look good but it will soften a lot in the afternoon.

Looking forward to morning skiing and afternoon drinks/fun in the sun.

Ditto. Leaving early Friday morning and overnighting in Albertville in order to get on slopes first thing Saturday…
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valloire from April 2-8 with my wife and two boys (15 and 12). Only booked it this past weekend after dithering for a long while, but the recent weather forecasts changed my mind. Very Happy Chunnel booked for Saturday afternoon, overnight stop in Reims and then onwards to the Maurienne Valley on Sunday. All of the pistes look good high up (they have for a while) and the recent snow has made the resort all white again! More snow forecast this weekend, so lack of snow concerns have now been replaced by snowy roads concerns .. lol.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
terrygasson wrote:
val thorens for me and my daughters, we are sharing a SC apartment with a mate and his eldest son and son's friend (from uni), our kids were in the same years at primary school together, and we have been on a couple of ski trips together before.

like others, i have been keeping a keen eye on the various 3v webcams and weather reports, and am enjoying watching the snow falling in resorts, with more forecast for next week.
maybe the snow gods will be kind on us and the snow will fall at night then be clear during the day Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

That's the dream! I know it's probably asking too much, but it would be great to get at least one clear day with a bit of sun!

I've got friends who have just got back from VT, and apparently conditions are glorious!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off to the Lofoten Islands for a week of ski mountaineering with @offpisteskiing and crew: a couple of regulars and a couple of first-time Lofoteners. It's going to be epic snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
benboski wrote:
Valloire from April 2-8 with my wife and two boys (15 and 12). Only booked it this past weekend after dithering for a long while, but the recent weather forecasts changed my mind. Very Happy Chunnel booked for Saturday afternoon, overnight stop in Reims and then onwards to the Maurienne Valley on Sunday. All of the pistes look good high up (they have for a while) and the recent snow has made the resort all white again! More snow forecast this weekend, so lack of snow concerns have now been replaced by snowy roads concerns .. lol.

Be really interested to hear how you get on, so keep us updated - we've got Valloire booked for next Feb half term.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
April 8 -15 in La Plagne...with wife and two kids 5 and 7
Never been there or generelly in france except a week this Januar and some summer skiing in tignes around 2011 i think..
Maybe i will add a day somewhere in the middle Of the way meaning leaving at 04.00 am , skiing a little bit from 10 till 14.00 pm eat sleep and next day further the way to la plagne.
Possible near chamonix but not sure at present

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 27-03-23 17:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arc 1800 from Apr 8-15. First time in Les Arcs, first time bringing the kids and first time skiing so late in the season. After the scarcely believable turn around in snow conditions over the past couple of weeks I've got a very good feeling about this Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@turms2, @colmhardiman.. you may just have picked the perfect week!
ski holidays
Maybe.. but seems to early to say something for sure...but i hope so
ski holidays
We're in Val Thorens 1st - 8th. Us + two boys (17,19) in a Maeva apt.
Driving down on the Saturday, with a quick stop at the hotel we stayed at in Feb to pick up #2 sons earpods he left there!
latest report
Les Deux Alpes for us 7th to 14th April. Pretty much a repeat of the holiday we had last year. Friday to Friday so miss the busy Saturday change over.
The kids 10 and 8 are not taking lessons this time round. Hoping for a chilled out week mostly crusing and hitting the park a few times.
snow conditions
I know it's still couple weeks to easter but just driving up to les arcs now. The snow line is at about 1000m just up from bourg St maurice
snow report
@colmhardiman . We are also in Arc 1800 with our two kids (13 & 11). It's looking promising.
ski holidays
TaraT wrote:
@colmhardiman . We are also in Arc 1800 with our two kids (13 & 11) from the 8th till the 15th. It's looking promising.
latest report
Les Menuires, 1st to 8th, family of 4 + mate and his son.
snow report
Hi, we're heading to Sainte Foy at the end of this week as a family with two kids under 5yo. Not sure how ski school will go with my youngest, she's a fair weather outdoor girl. Fresh snow today in resort, webcam look great, more snow this weekend. Snow conditions should be better than some Easter trips, especially considering how most of this season went. I'm more worried about getting up the mountain in heavy snow, but we're arriving on Friday, so hopefully before the main dump of snow, if current predictions of timing and intensity don't shift too much.
ski holidays
Plagne Soleil 2-9 April, family of 4 and family of 5. Leaving the UK on Friday after school, stopping in Reims on Friday night, then Albertville on Saturday night to gain an extra day on the slopes on Sunday, before getting into our accommodation that afternoon.
ski holidays
Hi, My son & I are heading to Ischgl for the second week of the school holidays. Like everyone on this thread, pretty relieved that it looks like there will be some snow left.
ski holidays
Youngest daughter heading to Serre Chevalier on her school ski trip, 8-15th April. I think it's going to be slushy.

Me and son headed to the EoSB in Val Thorens 15-22nd April. 40cm of fresh snow today and more forecast later this week! Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 28-03-23 7:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
VT UCPA, April 1–8.
snow conditions
ischgl driving out Friday for a week 2nd week not sure following the best conditions
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Luckily we have both weeks. Driving out with Pending Jr to Les Deux Alpes for the first week, where we'll be joined by his older sister and her partner (who has skied one week as a kid). LDA seemed a good compromise, with both challenging terrain and good beginner areas but I haven't skied there in about 10 years. I'll be picking them up in Lyon midday on Saturday so we won't ski til Sunday. One week there then off to VT with Pending Jr for a week before heading back on 14th.
ski holidays
Arc 1800 here. 1st to 8th April.

We've only ever skied a tiny Austrian resort before, and flown, so driving and a huge French resort is a whole new adventure, though we drive to France every summer.

We're a family of 4 with two boys aged 9 and 11. I suspect we'll spend a lot of the week in pairs. 9 can ski and enjoys it, but also loves just playing in the snow. 11 likes to ski, ski, ski. So I suspect 11 and I will spend our afternoons after ski school exploring various runs, whilst hubby and 9 play in the snow or on the Mille 8 run. Hopefully they'll join 11 and I for some afternoons. Booked 1800 based on a SH recommendation for cruisey blues for hubby.

We leave on Friday, on the 1320 Chunnel, with a stop in Auxerre on Friday night.

Boys have no idea we're going as they'll be 'sick' on Friday so we needed them to not tell all and sundry we were going.

Have been avidly watching webcams and its looking very good indeed. We skied at Christmas and it was an ice rink, so we felt a bit cheated. Hoping for some nice snow next week.
snow report
The plan was that we were going to one of the higher resorts of the Aosta valley this Easter. While I was showing the Mrs the hotel options I’d found for a DIY trip via Milan, I casually flicked through the Crystal website, just to confirm there was nothing of interest and saw a 4* hotel with a hefty discount, so we’re off to St Anton on Saturday. No driving through a snowstorm in the dark, battling with chains on a hired car for me this year. Based on the current forecast, a professional will be doing it for me. snowHead
latest report
We are off to LDA 8-15th, I was a ski bum in my youth but haven't been on skis since 2009. My partner hasn't been since doing a season in LDA in the early 2000's.
We will have our 2 kids of 3 and 5 years old with us so not expecting to get much ski time.

If anyone fancies a cheeky blast sans enfants let me know.
latest report
Val Cenis for me and my 2 teens. Driving on Friday, with an overnight in Beaune.
snow conditions
We are going to Les Arcs. Shu--sh, don't spread it around but we have always had excellent snow and conditions there at Easter. With two of my teenage granddaughters, it is either half term or Easter. Half term is abysmal for UK crowds and high prices, so Easter it is.

I remember when you could take your children out of school during term time if the holiday was educational in some way. Foreign trips -- speaking to the natives in their language! Easy peasy! Also schools could arrange their trips outside the half term. Both reduced the pressure at half term. Governments go on about helping UK business etc, but they give no thought to the massive UK ski industry.

French schools stagger their winter half term depending on what part of the country you are, specifically to aid the French ski resorts. Makes sense.

Whilst I'm on my high horse, we now know that the French retirement age is 62, but not many know that French school teachers get 16 weeks holiday a year whilst the UK teachers get 13.
ski holidays
Driving to Champagny-en-Vanoise other family members are travelling down by train. Feb half term we stayed in La Plagne and did make it over to Champagny with the kids, looked quite nice. So found a great Airbnb and of course it's snowed and more to come this weekend.
I thought I was able to drive to Tignes for a day but on the wrong side of the resort. But as courchevel is just down the road may try it for a day or half.
snow report
Heading out to Les Arcs on the train on Good Friday for our annual end of season slush boarding week.

Usually drive out but fancied doing something different this year... not looking forward to working out how to condense the normal contents of the boot of a large estate car into two wheely board bags!
snow report
DM118 wrote:
Driving to Champagny-en-Vanoise other family members are travelling down by train. Feb half term we stayed in La Plagne and did make it over to Champagny with the kids, looked quite nice. So found a great Airbnb and of course it's snowed and more to come this weekend.

Stayed in Champagny 20 odd years ago. It's a nice town for sure and a different way in to attack La Plagne. Ski down a bit iffy but there is always the option to download.

DM118 wrote:
I thought I was able to drive to Tignes for a day but on the wrong side of the resort. But as courchevel is just down the road may try it for a day or half.

Shows you how long ago it was the Vanoise Express didn't exist so we drove to Bourg for a day in Les Arcs. We also drove to Le Praz for a day in Courchevel. That was a doddle. There was a free car park back in the day but I think you might have to pay now.
snow conditions
St Anton from 1 April for us. 1st ski holiday since moving back to the UK for Mrs Meltus to become a teacher so wedded to Easter really (f**k half term!) and she's never skied Austria before. Been bouncing off the walls the past couple of weeks spending half my workday watching GFS ensembles and alternating between tears of joy and sorrow. Fortunately, we've had a few days in Scotland this year so shouldn't need a day to find my ski legs and can crack straight on!

Travelling with some of my uni pals who've I've been on several trips with before, staying in the Sporthotel with Crystal (my former employer, gotta show some solidarity).
snow report
Heading out to VT Sat 1st with teen daughter, Eurotunnel, overnight Bourg, arrive VT Sun 2nd. Did same last year and worked a dream. Then meandering road trip back second week via Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. Been avidly watching webcams and forecasts, after fairly thin cover back in Feb HT in La Plagne, feels like this could be the better week. Getting excited!
snow report
Also getting excited. I've sent screenshots of the webcams to my husband whilst on my lunchbreak the last two days.

Snow socks arrived tiday. Upon closer inspection, I ordered ones that were too small. So the correct size (according to the packaging) will be here tomorrow. Got to love Amazon Prime!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy