Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EU’s online visa-waiver system Etias delayed to 2024

Poster: A snowHead
I honestly cannot see this ever happening, not in its current form anyway.

when i looked up the stats the other day, and the average non-EU visitors to arrive via air, land or sea in the 5 or 6 years up to covid was 700 million travellers per year, and it looks like it is going up to similar figures post covid.

I could not see how many of these were from the 30 countries that would be required to enter via the ETIAS scheme, but i would assume they make up a good proportion.

it will be a logistical nightmare trying to get this put in place in all the border crossings/airports throughout the EU
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HilbertSpace wrote:
Looks like Macron wants to kick the Etias/ESS can down the road until August 2024, after the Paris Olympics:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/06/emmanuel-macrons-olympic-dreams-threaten-post-brexit-border/

The article paints this as a bad thing, but IMO it's good news for next ski season, especially for the self drivers.

no mention of ETIAS in this article, only EES, no start date yet for ETIAS other than "2024"
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowornever wrote:

no mention of ETIAS in this article, only EES, no start date yet for ETIAS other than "2024"

EES needs to happen before ETIAS
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HilbertSpace wrote:
snowornever wrote:

EES needs to happen before ETIAS

thats good! I can imagine the situation where they start all this up and it immediately crashes! (always can blame it on russian hackers!!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good news for me if it gets delayed. I need to renew my passport next summer, and it saves me the hassle of doing it twice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
terrygasson wrote:
I honestly cannot see this ever happening, not in its current form anyway.

when i looked up the stats the other day, and the average non-EU visitors to arrive via air, land or sea in the 5 or 6 years up to covid was 700 million travellers per year, and it looks like it is going up to similar figures post covid.

I could not see how many of these were from the 30 countries that would be required to enter via the ETIAS scheme, but i would assume they make up a good proportion.

it will be a logistical nightmare trying to get this put in place in all the border crossings/airports throughout the EU

Not sure why it would be a problem. Canada introduced an electronic entry application thing a few years back, and US have had something similar for ages.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
32 countries including Macrons france never mind Italy
Organising an application across all those differing hardware platforms will be doddle won’t it with all those Eurocrats what could possibly go wrong?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ETIAS has now been "rescheduled to May 2025, with the possibility of further postponement":

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/no-etias-wont-become-operational-in-2024-eu-sources-say/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HilbertSpace, Perhaps the EU are having a competition with the UK on seeing how many times their own border check related schemes can be postponed Toofy Grin , UK confirms fifth delay to post-Brexit border checks

I think the UK is in the lead with 5 delays, not sure of the ETIAS delay tally but I think it's fewer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, I suspect the UK govt don’t mind/care about delaying these border checks on food from EU you referenced, as its only going to create hassle and extra costs for the economy that they can do without . Just like items in/out of NI.

Whereas I assume the EU actually care/want these checks on people crossing their borders (except not sure it will stop their small boats issues) they just can’t execute it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ETIAS will be irrelevent for UK Citizens by the time the System is active.

The UK will have rejoined in the EU Block as an Associate member by then...

Looking at what is going on in the UK it probably cannot come quick enough for you folks ...

The Bank of England halted its long run of interest rate increases on Thursday. One day after a surprise slowing in Britain's fast pace of price growth, the BoE's Monetary Policy Committee decided by a narrow margin to keep the key lending rate at 5.25%. However, economists believe the country’s economy is plagued by serious underlying issues which the government must address

http://youtube.com/v/O5ScC8zZy84?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:

Of this I have no doubt. But I also expect to see the heat death of the universe before ETIAS goes live.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The article paints this as a bad thing, but IMO it's good news for next ski season, especially for the self drivers.

Why? as I see it once you get your visa it's just a quick scan and you'r through; no more waiting for your passport to be stamped and no more worries about your passport lasting 10 years.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It isn't a visa (but certification of a visa waiver). It only lasts 3 years, and there is a fee for most people. And you will still need a valid passport - in fact I think it is the passport system that will hold the record of a current valid ETIAS
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ecureuil, I have to admit I don't actually see the difference between applying for a visa and applying for a visa waiver.
snow conditions
It's just to weed out those that the member states do not want to travel in advance of them arriving at the border.

Far cheaper to have a convicted drug dealer denied boarding the flight to Paris, as they do not have an ETIAS (as it has been refused), than deal with them when they arrive in Paris with the associated paperwork and removal costs.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Looking at what is going on in the UK it probably cannot come quick enough for you folks ...

The Bank of England halted its long run of interest rate increases on Thursday. One day after a surprise slowing in Britain's fast pace of price growth, the BoE's Monetary Policy Committee decided by a narrow margin to keep the key lending rate at 5.25%. However, economists believe the country’s economy is plagued by serious underlying issues which the government must address

http://youtube.com/v/O5ScC8zZy84?

Has the pound euro rate reached parity yet, oops another of your forecats that hasnt happened Razz
ski holidays
The sick man of Europe is Germany.

Not the UK.

https://fortune.com/2023/09/21/deutsche-bank-ceo-christian-sewing-germany-sick-man-of-europe-structural-change/
snow report
Finally this should keep unregulated (tax evaders) Brits (and anyone) with Criminal records out of the EU...

Unpaid Fines (Traffic, Nuisance) etc will be recouped when trying to re-enter

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/what-is-the-eu-entry-exit-scheme

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Well it clearly won't keep anyone with criminal records out the EU, as there are thousands of EU citizens with criminal records already. It'll potentially deter those from outside the EU from travelling, although, as with any scheme I'm sure ways to circumnavigate the system will be found.

If it ever gets implemented of course

Any decent tax evader has already got an EU passport as well, so not sure on that one
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

If it ever gets implemented of course

Fingers crossed it gets delayed even further, past the 2024/25 ski season.
snow report
Bring on the fingerprinting and facial scanning... rolling eyes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/19/eu-fingerprint-checks-uk-travellers-british-passengers-entry-exit-system-facial-scans
snow conditions
Oh that sounds like a nightmare - hopefully they will have a queue for first time through to process and one for those that have already had their Face ID done.

Definitely worth trying to get a very quiet slot on the first time through… can’t imagine the queues during skiing peak times Eh oh!
latest report
looks like EES from October 2024 and then Etias six months later April 2025 but on past performance who knows
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/eu-ees-border-launch-date-2024-b2466353.html
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5215671#5215671
ski holidays
It doesnt sound too different from entering the US, of course US customs and queues, especially LAX, are horrendous....

Just to check for those of us a bit simple, as of now/ this ski season, we don't need to do anything for visas/ entry apart from being aware of the 90 days in last 180 rule..?
snow conditions
Quote:

Just to check for those of us a bit simple, as of now/ this ski season, we don't need to do anything for visas/ entry apart from being aware of the 90 days in last 180 rule..?

Also be await of the expiry date on your passport. That doesn't matter what matters is 10 years from issue. Also you must have, I think, 3 months after the date you plan to leave the EU, so since you can stay in the EU for 90 days, then 6 months. Of curse if you can get to Andora without going through France or Spain then different rules apply.
snow report
gov.uk has very good list of requirements for each country.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy