Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mega Mayday…

Poster: A snowHead
There’s always this if it gets warm…

http://youtube.com/v/1-VCWUtNm-4
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:

Anyway I wouldn't be too worried about the snow next week for your trip, as I'd be more concerned about Noro Virus Laughing

Just don't tell us its puking down Toofy Grin

Sowler wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Noro Virus Laughing

???

See the Gnarlibug thread. Anyone doing the double need quarantine rolling eyes Glad I won't be sharing with any of them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adithorp wrote:
....Just don't tell us its puking down Toofy Grin

Very good Laughing

Sun almost trying to come out now, temps now +4.5
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looked on Bergfex, and there's a drop in the FL for the weekend. It was at 2400m, now it's 1900m. A step in the right direction?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First big dump delivered as expected on the west side of Lower Valais. Snowline up around 2000m

Sunny and warm today and then looks like Friday night through to Sunday morning should be colder and another big dump of fresh. Looks like Sunday could be a bluebird powder day…
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Feels like we're having a breather today, before all the craziness starts again tomorrow.

Looking at La Plagne, the webcams all look a much healthier on slopes above 1900m, but no real change on anything below that. Looks like there could be a decent amount of snow down to about 1300m tomorrow, so hopefully that changes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s dumping!!! Cracking weekend ahead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, With a whiteout all day tomorrow and another 50cm of snow what do you think the avalanche risk on Sunday will be?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
@BobinCH, With a whiteout all day tomorrow and another 50cm of snow what do you think the avalanche risk on Sunday will be?

Probably 3, maybe 4 if there is a lot of wind. Will certainly require care but with good viz I think it could be a cracking day
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saturday could be interesting for people arriving in France

This from the Les Arcs website

"For Saturday

Travel conditions will be disrupted on the Savoie road network from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:
Saturday could be interesting for people arriving in France

This from the Les Arcs website

"For Saturday

Travel conditions will be disrupted on the Savoie road network from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m"

Snow or strikes? The valley forecast looks wet but not too bad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, for reference, higher lifts in Chamonix are allcloseddue wind.

It will be 3 min for 100%, good chance of 4 …
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, For today, the risk is showing up on the map as 4 on the Italian side (Aosta Valley). I don't know if there is a particular change in risk as you cross the border, or if the Italian team has made a different assessment than the French and Swiss in the same area. https://avalanche.report/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello again all, by the way. Returning occasional user from long before the unfortunate security incident.
Thanks to all for the snow updates, it’s been tense! Hopefully I will bung up a very positive 3V report next week!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jukebox Zero, According to the Les Arcs website it is because of the Weather tomorrow.

https://en.lesarcs.com/state-of-the-roads#routes
snow report
@Scarlet, weather and snow conditions are often massively different north and south of the border - I've driven to the Fréjus tunnel in a convoy behind a snow plough, with only one lane of the motorway open, and emerged into Italy to find not a flake of snow in sight.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, looks like a wind loading thing? don't think the Italian side getting more snow than we are? Also looks like a difference of opinion...
ski holidays
@pam w, I can believe it, it just looks a little odd on the map to have a kind of isolated red area, but I defer to those who have greater knowledge of the region.
latest report
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster !

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I will be in Geneva this weekend. I was thinking of taking daytrips to Chamonix, on both Saturday and Sunday. Think Saturday will be particuarly problematic due to the weather, am I correct in writting off Saturday? Would Les Houches remain open for example?

Thanks!
snow conditions
@Scarlet, not too sure if you've seen the French Avy risk site - but if you click the link below which is Alpes de Nord, you can then drill down into all the main Massifs and then see very precise detail.

https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/alpes-du-nord/risques-avalanche

Might well be a lot of 4's on there by Sunday.

That said yesterday I was about 20m away from a big slide a skier in front of me set off, though as it turned out not too deep a crown, but still goes to show - more in the Serre thread.
ski holidays
Looking further ahead, I wonder whether this March madness might mean a reprieve for some lower ski areas which looked as though they'd be a complete write off by the end of this month?
snow report
@pam w, I'm not sure that much if any snow will fall below below 16/1700m for the foreseeable and even then, I suspect any sustained falls will be above 2000m
latest report
@Weathercam, yes, you can click through from the link I posted.
ski holidays
Glorious Spring conditions!

http://youtube.com/v/EHzesxTLtD4
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
@BobinCH, good move sending the boarder down first Wink
snow conditions
@BobinCH,
That ranks up there with...
"the water's lovely!"
and
it's ok, this is the last hill!"
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, good move sending the boarder down first Wink

Always!

No pain, no gain snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/MQd39IwnpLE
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Return of the pow snowHead snowHead snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/J7yQ85fsiak

If it snows all night tomorrow could be epic…
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Glorious Spring conditions!

http://youtube.com/v/EHzesxTLtD4

Yak, have you moved to Scotland!
ski holidays
50cm overnight

Almost 1m near Zermatt

Cowabunga baby snowHead
ski holidays
@BobinCH, -2 marks. You missed the opportunity to turn it into ‘powabunga’.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
@BobinCH, -2 marks. You missed the opportunity to turn it into ‘powabunga’.

It’s raining at 1500m and nothing yet open above Ruinettes so holding that one back for a bit!!
ski holidays
Spoons day

Extra care required today
snow report
Quote:

It’s raining at 1500m and nothing yet open above Ruinettes so holding that one back for a bit!!

That's wise. This snow seems to be claggy stuff at mid-altitude - good to help repair the base, once pisted, but please God let people not starting blithering on about "pow".
snow report
@pam w, but please God let people not starting blithering on about "pow" Laughing Laughing Laughing

The main thing for me that this storm would have at least got the mid and high mountain depths back to a more sensible level , now much less concerned about April skiing .

Hopefully some of the cravasses on the glaciers that hadn’t filled so far this season have now . I was on the Rutor late Jan and there was loads more open cravasses than normal .
snow report
@Rob Mackley, +1. Its wet and claggy in Tignes and nowhere near the temps for powder snow (= the wind at height that is plastering the snow to the base)
latest report
Quote:

now much less concerned about April skiing .

Yes, me too, especially as I'm purely looking at piste skiing. This last lot of snow looks like being really heavy clag - leg breaking stuff - but they were taking it away in lorry loads in Les Saisies at 1650 this morning, which was cheerful viewing. Happily there seems to be some hope for colder weather and more precipitation next week. Early April is never really good in middle altitude resorts (it's 1600 - 2000m which interests me) but until this last episode there looked like being a real risk of widespread closures.

By early April at those sort of altitudes the ski conditions are icy/slushy regardless of snow depth. I'd not realised that but one year in Les Saisies when there were HUGE depths of snow in early April I learnt that you only ski on the top few inches - I'd naively thought that the depth of white stuff would keep the top few inches nicer!

But the outlook is now much improved, which is cheering.

Apart from our own selfish interests, it will be good if resorts can do well from the last "holiday" period of the year; they've had a tough time so far.
snow report
As most of verbier was closed this morning we headed up to Bruson.
Visibility was fine, but snow very claggy and pistes were lumpy and bumpy as snow happened after last night's piste bashing.
It was warm and humid too...not great really.
At lunchtime we crossed back to main Verbier...a lot colder, the snow was really nice but the Visibility was dreadful.

I haven't skied so badly in years!

Sacked it off a few minutes ago and am now in the lift on my way back to Le Chable.

Tomorrow's pistes should be super after a jolly good bashing!

Off piste in Bruson was no fun at all...super heavy stuff.
Off piste up around Lac de Vaux felt nice, smooth sub powder (not powder) but you could not see a thing so I didn't stick at it at all.
snow conditions
@rungsp, you need the Spoons!

http://youtube.com/v/5IpBcssZpKU

Should be back to seasonal average at Attelas after the dump on Tuesday
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy