Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
NickyJ wrote:

For note Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss all let you take ski bags in ADDITION to your checked baggage. Nb despite them all being part of same parent company different procedures for activating this.

Yes, with hindsight, I should have booked with them to Geneva. In fact, now that I think about it, that's what I have done at least once in the past. Unfortunately I forgot that in the excitement of booking. Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

For note Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss all let you take ski bags in ADDITION to your checked baggage. Nb despite them all being part of same parent company different procedures for activating this.

Yes, with hindsight, I should have booked with them to Geneva. In fact, now that I think about it, that's what I have done at least once in the past. Unfortunately I forgot that in the excitement of booking. Sad

Presume already paid for extra bag? It sometimes can be cheaper to upgrade to business class which givss 2 bags as standard
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, pre pandemic, for I think 3 years, I flew Club to go skiing. This year the price of Club blew my mind. But because of all the hassle, I looked at upgrading. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, I had booked through Expedia. Big mistake. British Airways won't allow a seat upgrade except through my travel agent (ie Expedia). Expedia won't allow an upgrade. I am sure it will be in the t&c somewhere.

A bit late in my life, sorting this trip has been quite a learning-by-experience exercise.

1. As a skier, don't fly by BA unless flying Cub.
2. Don't book through Expedia if there is a risk I might change the booking.
3. Go for a resort not too far from an airport, and with good public transport links.

Of course, it pays to book really early. This time there were some very strong reasons I didn't.

Maybe Austria next year? Not been there for yonks. Must check out how easy it is to get to Mark and Bootsy's chalet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@achilles, having had issues with middle men when it came to getting refund when covid caused cancellations, now have a rule for booking direct with airline.

Price is very variable based on dates / routes / how far in advance etc. So not always better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@achilles, hope your travels go well.
As a skier, I always fly BA Economy if at all possible. Skis and clothes in my ski bag at under 23kg; boots, helmet and sufficient ski wear on my person or in my carry-on bag. If ski bag goes astray, I can manage for a day or two, with just the need to hire skis. Sorted.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, thanks for your thoughts. Problem for me is that my boots which I love are quite bulky, and if I put them nose to tail in a slim line bag that will just meet cabin bag rules, but there will be no room for a helmet. Some clothing could be stuffed around and into them, but that would be it.

I am going to look at a larger ski bag, possibly with wheels. There has been no time for this trip.

It will be nice to meet up with my skis again on Friday - I have not seen them since 2019! They are with family near Heathrow. They did have storage wax applied to bases and edges- so I am hoping that they'll be Okay.

4 years since I skied Shocked

The first runs will be interesting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@achilles, ah yes, it's true I have small feet.
I guarantee you'll be just fine on your skis!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
@Hurtle, but there will be no room for a helmet. Some clothing could be stuffed around and into them, but that would be it.

Clip it to the outside of your hand luggage. Never had an issue doing this on either BA or EJ. Just be careful not to bean people sitting down as you walk down the aisle.

Worse comes to worst, wear it. I don’t think theres a rule saying you can’t.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ster wrote:
achilles wrote:
@Hurtle, but there will be no room for a helmet. Some clothing could be stuffed around and into them, but that would be it.

Clip it to the outside of your hand luggage. Never had an issue doing this on either BA or EJ. Just be careful not to bean people sitting down as you walk down the aisle.

Worse comes to worst, wear it. I don’t think theres a rule saying you can’t.

Yep, I do the same, as do a lot of other people you see on ski flights.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How 'tight' are they on the 195cm? Off for some XC to Sweden in a few weeks, and the bag is tight on length Confused , but easily inside on the other 2 dimensions.
My guess is (ok, hoping this happens) we'll get to check in, say they are skis, they get tagged and be shunted off to the special baggage area for drop off.

Any different, and I'll be back on here crying at the end of March snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Checkflaps, lots of BA flights with a 210cm roller bag, never had an issue. I've also taken a (compressed) mattress, a sledge (well outside official dimensions), and a full size electronic keyboard on BA. Not all at the same time tho'.

Only problem I ever had was lots of pairs of skis in a huge ski roller bag, weighing 40kg, which I was told was overweight. Luckily I'd brought a spare empty ski bag in case the weight was a problem, so I extracted a couple of pairs of skis and it was fine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ta muchly.
We'll have XC in one bag and alpine in the other, so it will be a bit of tetris, to get everything in 2 hold (ski) bags, but with 2 carry on's too, I'm sure we'll be fine. Gonna be a cosy couchette on the sleeper train up to Are though Laughing

CF snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checkflaps wrote:
How 'tight' are they on the 195cm?

Have you ever seen someone sat at a check-in desk with a tape measure...?

Turn up with something 3 or 4 metres long and you might have issues but provided it looks about right when eyeballed your chances of having issues are next to zero.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Checkflaps wrote:
How 'tight' are they on the 195cm? Off for some XC to Sweden in a few weeks, and the bag is tight on length Confused , but easily inside on the other 2 dimensions.
My guess is (ok, hoping this happens) we'll get to check in, say they are skis, they get tagged and be shunted off to the special baggage area for drop off.

Any different, and I'll be back on here crying at the end of March snowHead

Just try to avoid using a bag that has a length printed in the side that patently breaches the allowance, some do!

But as already said above nothing too ridiculous, and I have never had a bag measured for size, only weighed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Checkflaps wrote:
How 'tight' are they on the 195cm?

Have you ever seen someone sat at a check-in desk with a tape measure...?

Turn up with something 3 or 4 metres long and you might have issues but provided it looks about right when eyeballed your chances of having issues are next to zero.

I'll admit, this is BA - rather than EasyJet or RyanAir, so I'm not banking on the check in staff sucking in through their teeth, pulling out a tape measure and saying 'That'll be another £50 please' Laughing
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure the limit used to be 190 and my bag is 195. I did have a BA chap ask me once how long it was. I said "oh, about 190 I think" knowing their then limit, only to realise that he was looking at the length printed on the side of the bag. Obviously he wasn't that concerned as he didn't say any more. It was scratched off soon after that.
snow report
Funny enough, I had called up and spoken to BA about this yesterday to confirm my understanding. Its free yes but it eats up your normal luggage allowance as per the post above and the one above that. So will need to stuff all your gear to pad the skis anyway, and anything surplus will be on your 'carry-on' + 'purse'
ski holidays
@negativeyardage,

Wow! You telephoned BA and actually got to speak to someone Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Apologies if answered already elsewhere - is it now necessary to notify BA in advance if taking skis/board? From website:
Quote:
As soon as you have made your booking, let us know that you’re bringing your snow sport bag, especially if you know that you are on a popular snow sport route. Your snow sport bag is more likely to travel with you if you tell us in advance and at least three days (more than 72 hours) before you fly.
ski holidays
@hd, I didn't when I flew a couple of weeks ago GVA-LHR, and had no issues.
ski holidays
@hd, no need to notify them.
Ski bag is your normal hold bag and 23kg.

The only issue would be flying from London city because it is limited in the hold compared to a a320 etc.
ski holidays
@hd, No it's not required, they just seem to be asking to be informed so they have an idea about baggage loads in advance.
ski holidays
@hd, there's a discussion on this here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166612#5208044
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy