Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Taking skis with me for the first time in many years. Flying BA economy Heathrow to Lyon. Will be flying with one bag and skis for check-in and a carryon bag for boots and some ski clothing.

As I understand the baggage allowance, it seems very generous:

23 Kg for checked in bag
23 Kg for cabin bag (though within permitted dimensions)
Hand bag (think I can skip that).

I find the ba sports equipment info could be clearer - but maybe that's just me being senior.

I *think* that if I stuff my ski boots and some clothing into my cabin bag, to allow the weight of my cabin bag and skis to not exceed 23 Kg, then I don't have any baggage charge to pay.

Is that correct?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@achilles, that's right. And even the handbag can weigh up to 23kg.

One thing to note. Last year I flew BA from Heathrow to Innsbruck and I had cabin bag plus laptop type bag. They said it was a busy flight so they made me check in my cabin bag at the gate.
Only people with cabin bag plus handbag were asked to do this.

You said you wouldn't be taking the handbag so probably not a problem for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jagerbull, thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@achilles,
It isn't the easiest to find, but it is pretty clear:
Quote:

You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within 190 x 75 x 65cm.

You don't need to let us know in advance that you are bringing a snow sports bag but, as these larger bags need individual handling, please get to the airport and check it in at least 90 minutes before your flight departs.

You will then need to take your tagged bag to the out-of-gauge baggage belt no later than 90 minutes before your flight to make sure it flies with you.

Skis and snowboards must be packed in a protective bag and can be in the same bag as your boots or clothes. 

If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot bag can be carried as hand baggage if it's within the correct dimensions. If it doesn't, it must be checked in and will count as an extra checked bag.

For safety reasons you can’t board the aircraft wearing ski boots.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But if you can fit your boots in this then you have smaller feet than i do Very Happy
Quote:

1 handbag
Max. 23kg / 51lbs
Up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@musher, we have these bags

https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/luggage/pgr/lange-basic-duo-ski-boot-bag-with-backpack-straps__2439?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=LKIB08&awc=21423_1677413027_87d86282ce5c20d46403fe9fbe8de070

Even my husbands size 12 feet, boots, fit into it..... JUST. We bought ours from our local store (Snowtrax) who were happy for me to test with the same size boot off the shelves before buying.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
@musher, we have these bags

https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/luggage/pgr/lange-basic-duo-ski-boot-bag-with-backpack-straps__2439?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=LKIB08&awc=21423_1677413027_87d86282ce5c20d46403fe9fbe8de070

Even my husbands size 12 feet, boots, fit into it..... JUST. We bought ours from our local store (Snowtrax) who were happy for me to test with the same size boot off the shelves before buying.

Nb we use this for the bigger BA hand luggage allowance, then a smaller bag for stuff we need with us in hand luggage. The duo bag my husband has, has straps which make it a rucksack. Annoyingly they did away with feature more recently so mine doesn't have them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ,
They're too big for BA cabin bags at 49cm x 36cm x 11cm. I've never had BA measure cabin bags, but it would be a risk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@musher, BA have a 2 cabin bag allowance
Quote:

All flights
Adults, young adults and children
1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus

1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

Infants (under 2) 1 cabin bag for items required during the flight (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/ba/fi_FI/baggage/bagcabin.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I take it all back, the information isn't that clear Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And they used to allow an umbrella.

@musher, but what’s not clear?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jagerbull wrote:
One thing to note. Last year I flew BA from Heathrow to Innsbruck and I had cabin bag plus laptop type bag. They said it was a busy flight so they made me check in my cabin bag at the gate.
Only people with cabin bag plus handbag were asked to do this.

Thanks to the budget carriers charging for hold bags people have gotten used to taking huge numbers of carry on bags which the overhead lockers just don't have space for so in busy flights you often get the "We have a very busy flight and are looking for volunteers to check their carry on bag for free." call going out at the gate. In my experience with BA if you politely ask "Can I check in my carry on bag too?" at the check-in desk they have always said "Of course." and done it for free (as it's one less bag to check at the gate).

Obviously if you're flying carry-on only and MUST save those 15 minutes at the baggage carousel it doesn't help - but if you've checked your skis and have to wait for those anyway it just makes your life post check-in a little easier. And if they try to charge you you can always keep it and carry it in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mjit,
Quote:

it just makes your life post check-in a little easier.

Not if the stuff that you've put in your carry-on luggage precisely because it's fragile then gets damaged in the hold. Which is why I had a barney at BA check-in in Venice the other week, when the person tried (and failed) to insist that I check my hand baggage in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, there are plenty of people on here who want to keep their boots with them at all costs, given the number of stories if hold bags not turning up, I wanted to point out that I didn't have a choice of keeping my large carry on with me.

I check in all my outdoor gear in the hold so I have to wait around anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jagerbull,
Quote:

I wanted to point out that I didn't have a choice of keeping my large carry on with me

The woman at the Marco Polo check-in desk behaved as though I didn't have a choice, until I pointed out a) that T&Cs allowed me a carry-on bag and b) if I were to hand it over, I'd want a written acknowledgment of having been alerted to possible damage, for which I would sue. (I was on slightly shaky ground on both counts, but sounded convincing! wink ) If, however, on the pilot's instructions re overloading the cabin they'd insisted at the gate, I would have had to cave in, having first removed the fragile items, notably my helmet.
ski holidays
“The woman at the Marco Polo check-in desk behaved as though I didn't have a choice, until I pointed out a) that T&Cs allowed me a carry-on bag and b) if I were to hand it over, I'd want a written acknowledgment of having been alerted to possible damage, for which I would sue. (I was on slightly shaky ground on both counts, but sounded convincing! wink ) If, however, on the pilot's instructions re overloading the cabin they'd insisted at the gate, I would have had to cave in, having first removed the fragile items, notably my helmet.”

You are right, you were on shaky ground. The T&Cs do allow you a carry on bag, however, if every passenger on the aircraft brings their maximum permitted hand baggage it simply does not all fit on. There is no magic cupboard they can put it in once the aircraft is full if you stamp your foot and complain hard enough. So there is a procedure (which is not published in passenger documents) which ground staff must follow in order to remove cabin bags from passengers to place them in the hold. You won’t get a written acknowledgment of possible damage, however you should have been informed that you should remove any fragile items. The airline staff are just doing their jobs trying to make sure that the aircraft gets away on time, and by thinking ahead and beginning to ask passengers early on if they will check in hand luggage on flights that look full it prevents the situation that can sometimes occur when too many passengers with full hand baggage allowance get on with it and then discover there isn’t enough space to stow it. Even skilled players of cabin bag Tetris can’t always make it all work.

So yes, you have a right to bring it along with you, and you have a right to expect that the airline will transport it. You don’t have a cast iron right to demand it is in the cabin with you. In expecting to be able to put it in the cabin, you are effectively hoping that other passengers will not have brought as much baggage on as you have in order that there will be space to store yours. The poor woman on the check in desk probably just rolled her eyes at your behaviour. She’ll see it all the time. People are often very rude to check in staff and it’s a fairly unrewarding job.
snow report
@pandora, I am absolutely aware of everything you've written, as I think was fairly clear from my post. And I was certainly not rude. I'm experienced in being persuasive without resorting to rudeness, put it down to early and prolonged training. wink

I do however remain keen not to get a second ski helmet destroyed in the hold. (It's happened before.)
latest report
If you have a suitcase and a ski bag to go in the hold that counts as two bags, so you have to pay for an extra bag. If you can fit your clothes into your ski bag (and not exceed 23kg) it is just one.
snow report
I manage to get two pairs of skis and bindings, plus ski kit and boots, into a bag. Helmet and goggles come on board with me. Weight can become an issue (I usually manage to be bang on the 23kg limit) but space is not. You want the Dakine two metre roller bag.
latest report
@Harry Flashman, BA's size limit on ski bag length is 190cms, the Dakine 200cms is a tad longer than that. Having recently travelled BA (LHR-ZRH 2 of us) with double roller ski bag (185cms) containing 2 pairs skis + poles + a few smaller items, and a 100 litre roller bag with kit in, cabin baggage containing ski boots and helmets, thats 2 hold bags (both around 18kgs) and 2 cabin bags (well under the 23kg limit) for 2 people. I'm aware that sticking to the "BA rules" is pretty straightforward if you can just pack all your gear in the correct sized bags. Should not really be a problem.
ski holidays
Oops, I just realised that the "Thule RoundTrip Ski Bag 192 cm" (which I just ordered to replace my current one held together by duct tape) is not 192cm but 205cm. I am booked to return on BA from the Spring off Piste Bash. What will happen at the airport if I use it, I wonder. Should I change it for the type which rolls at the end instead? Not sure if there is time.
ski holidays
They don't care, in my experience. Never been measured, and my bag is just a smidgen over 200cm.

Dakine helpfully printed "190cm" on the side, to help Smile
latest report
Apologies to all, I got this wrong, and overstated my length (not for the first time).

The bag is 185cm long, but badged "175" for airline purposes.

And it is currently packed with all of my kit, including the 179cm Preachers and 165cm SL skis. It would struggle to take a ski much longer than 180cms though, in fairness. As a short person, this is OK for me but may not be for some of you rocking two metre powder boats.

But the point is, the bag has done many, many trips with BA, packed with skis boots (and indeed sometimes helmet), as well as ski and non ski clothes, as my only major baggage.

And it says 175 on it, helpfully.
latest report
185cm is within the 190 limit. 205 might be a problem. My Head Kore skis are also 179 so would fit in your supposedly 175 bag. Does it also take boots, which is what I want (30cm soles)? I didn't really want a double ski bag but may have to.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
overstated my length (not for the first time).

. Laughing
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
If you have a suitcase and a ski bag to go in the hold that counts as two bags, so you have to pay for an extra bag. If you can fit your clothes into your ski bag (and not exceed 23kg) it is just one.

That ties in with the phone call I had with BA today. If I decide to go skiing again I might get a large ski bag. This time I have simply stumped up for the extra bag.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
snowball wrote:

That ties in with the phone call I had with BA today. If I decide to go skiing again I might get a large ski bag. This time I have simply stumped up for the extra bag.
Dakine Low Roller is the best-priced decent one - under £100 if you keep a look out off-season.
snow report
@achilles,
If you only take a ski bag do you buy the cheap hand baggage only ticket and then add a sports bag to it, or would they ignore the dimensions of your ski bag (as it's bigger than a checked in case) on a normal economy ticket ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get a lot in this ski bag for under £100: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bag-for-4-skis-3-snowboards-grey/_/R-p-156416?mc=8398284&c=GREY

And one of these as cabin bag - I can fit ski boots, helmet and all my clothes:
https://aeroliteluggage.co.uk/collections/british-airways-approved-cabin-baggage-aerolite/products/aerolite-56x45x25cm-lightweight-hard-shell-cabin-hand-luggage?variant=40420553392304
ski holidays
@musher, I think that the ski bag would be counted as a check-in bag to be paid for.
latest report
@achilles, if you buy the normal BA economy ticket that includes one checked in hold bag, which your ski bag would certainly qualify as providing it meets the size and weight limits. Smile For the last two years on my trips to Venice for the preBBWUW/Birthday Bash I've splashed out and gone business class as that includes two checked hold bags (which are my normal luggage bag containing my ski boots, and a sportube for my skis), plus of course the use of the airport lounges for food and drink and a hot meal on the aircraft. I've rather grown appreciative of my creature comforts in recent years..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink,
That was my point, a double ski bag does not fit the dimensions of a normal checked in case.
snow report
@musher, you can substitute the normal checked bag with a ski bag with dimensions within 190x75x65cm (same weight though).
snow report
musher wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
That was my point, a double ski bag does not fit the dimensions of a normal checked in case.

Does it not? I thought the dimensions were 190cm x 75cm x 65cm. My sportube2 which holds 2 sets of skis would easily fit in those dimensions. Anyway I have had no problems taking it on BA as checked luggage.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@musher, you can substitute the normal checked bag with a ski bag with dimensions within 190x75x65cm (same weight though).

BA seem to actively encourage this approach.

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/ba/fi_FI/baggage/bagsport.html

Quote:
Sporting goods on British Airways
You can take many types of sports equipment as part of (but not in addition to) your free checked baggage allowance:

All sporting equipment has to be packed appropriately to avoid damage and meet the size and weight restrictions of your allowance.
You can take larger sporting items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. Any items larger than these dimensions will require shipping as cargo. The only exception is a bike in a bike-box that can have the maximum dimensions of 190 x 95 x 65cm (75 x 37.5 x 25.5in).

Quote:
Ski and snowboarding equipment
You can take your skis or snowboard equipment as checked baggage, provided it is packed correctly and within your baggage allowance.

Use a bag made for skis or snowboards to carry your equipment. This bag can be no longer than 190cm in length due to airport and aircraft baggage systems restrictions.
Your skis/snowboard and boots can be packed in the same checked baggage with your clothes as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions of 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) and weighs no more than your weight allowance. If the weight is exceeded, you’ll be charged extra at the airport.
If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance.
If you're travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare you will need to pay extra to check in any additional bags. It doesn't matter what is in these bags, if they're being checked in, you will have to pay extra.

For safety reasons you are not allowed to board the aircraft wearing your ski boots.

There were also unexpected (to me) side effects of a having a Basic ticket on choosing seats (or more specifically not being able to without paying quite significant extra

Quote:

Do I have to pay?
Whether seat selection is free or costs extra depends on a number of factors, including the type of ticket you purchase, your class of travel and your personal circumstances.

Unless you’ve booked a Basic ticket (economy, hand-baggage only), you can choose your seat for free when check-in opens (24 hours before departure).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 27-02-23 16:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
For those flying BA and in the good old days they were my favourite, as you could always rely on them unlike the budget airlines.

Last Tuesday OH was flying BA Turin Gatwick at 13:30, and at 07:30 I heard an expletive from the bedroom, and her flight had been cancelled!

I know it's been ongoing but like everything it's not till it happens to you, the biggest issue was that she was flying the following day, so she had to find a flight that day along with logistics etc I then had a longer drive to Lyon rather than Turin.
snow report
@Weathercam, as you say this is happening with all. Lufthansa has cancelled my outbound flight for 1st April. I think I have reorganised / cancelled and boomed new transfer..... and waiting / watching for any further cancellations.

EasyJet cancelled my parents and sisters return flight last Easter but worse HADN'T informed them!!! They only spotted in time to force EasyJet to switch their return to a different route as sister was checking to see if they were moving terminals with Gatwick reopen both terminals.
ski holidays
@zikomo,
Standard checked in baggage:

Up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35 x 30 x 17in)
Up to 23kg (51lb)

...but then it does say:
Quote:
You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within 190 x 75 x 65cm.

So it would appear all is good if you dig deep enough (and get the right check-in staff on the day Toofy Grin )
latest report
musher wrote:
@zikomo,
Standard checked in baggage:

Up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35 x 30 x 17in)
Up to 23kg (51lb)

...but then it does say:
Quote:

So it would appear all is good if you dig deep enough (and get the right check-in staff on the day Toofy Grin )

We have done a few times with BA and they haven't batted and eyelid.

For note Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss all let you take ski bags in ADDITION to your checked baggage. Nb despite them all being part of same parent company different procedures for activating this.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:

For note Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss all let you take ski bags in ADDITION to your checked baggage. Nb despite them all being part of same parent company different procedures for activating this.

Yep, Swiss will take your ski bag for free in addition to your checked bag without any prior notification. Lufthansa like you to phone them to get it added to your booking. I've never been with Austrian so I don't know their requirements.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy