Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA ski carriage - boot bag now not included

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this is already widely known, but I got caught out by it recently so thought I’d mention in case it might be of sue to someone.

Flying back from a trip recently with BA, went to check in a ski bag and boot bag each, plus another bag (it was a long trip, and we’d been shopping before our return Very Happy , so yes we were maxing out our allowance…). We were very firmly told by the check in assistant that boot bags are counted separately. We argued the toss, saying they’d always been counted as one item with a ski bag; again, she said no, they’re separate.

So, I checked, certain I was right… and of course I wasn’t. They have at some point (not sure when) sneakily changed their ski carriage rules to expressly say that boot bags are counted separately: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sports-equipment

Luckily we could take it on as hand baggage, but I can definitely think of occasions where this would have caught me out and I would have had to pay for an extra bag.

Not sure if other airlines have started doing similar, but I’ll be checking rules before I get to the airport in future in case of other airline changes…

Ms T.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EasyJet include a ski bag and a boot bag for one (steep...) additional charge.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mistress Twerkle, had you paid for ski carriage or just substituted a normal bag for a ski bag which they allow. Certainly when you substitute you are just swapping one bag for another still meeting the dimensions, not gaining another bag by taking ski+boot bag for one normal bag.

And for paid ski carriage I am not sure they ever allowed 2 bags (ski+boot)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BA have always seen a ski bag as one bag and a boot bag as a second bag.

If you have a 1 bag allowance then the boot bag is a second bag and you are charged.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, @GlasgowCyclops, also my understanding over many years. Boots and helmet as hand luggage, without problem. I've saved a ton of money this way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another way of saving money, as I've just discovered, is to have a flight delay. Original return flight to Venice cost me £91 plus a few Avios, for which I was compensated £220, plus a whopping fare for a car to get me home and a lunch at the airport (modest, but included alcohol).
[Apols for thread drift]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we used to fly BA trans Atlantic to ski in late 90s early 2000s, luggage allowance 2x 32kg cases plus skis and boots for free! And unlimited drinks on the plane, they used to come round and offer drink throughout the flight too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hurtle, yep the benefit of a big airline.
Another is using AVIOS. It doesn’t just give you a cheaper fare, it also offers additional flexibility, even if you only use £1 of AVIOS.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevieb, I get that as a gold or silver. Big benefit
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
BA have always seen a ski bag as one bag and a boot bag as a second bag.
If you have a 1 bag allowance then the boot bag is a second bag and you are charged.
Yup. Air Canada have a special deal for skis/ boards, which they carry transatlantic for free.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
Another way of saving money, as I've just discovered, is to have a flight delay. Original return flight to Venice cost me £91 plus a few Avios, for which I was compensated £220, plus a whopping fare for a car to get me home and a lunch at the airport (modest, but included alcohol).
[Apols for thread drift]

I’ve heard nothing yet in response to my claim for £30 of additional parking charges. Need to chase them up, I guess
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Red Leon, I haven't received the actual readies yet, but I got a favourable response to my claim within about a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I posted this in the other thread, but it may be of help? I usually fly BA due to use of Avios points/exec club status. My ski boots aren't small, as I am a size 10. Similarly I am usually carrying a pair of 179 Whitedot Preachers and a heavy, 165cm pair of Atomic slalom skis. I am allowed to take two bags of up to 32kg due to having an exec club status, due to business travel, but I like one bag and a rucksack, both as light as possible, for ease.

The rucksack usually has just helmet and electronics (laptop, headphones etc.) In it.

I manage to get two pairs of skis and bindings, plus ski kit and boots, into a bag. Helmet and goggles come on board with me. Weight can become an issue (I usually manage to be bang on the 23kg limit) but space is not.

You want the Dakine two metre roller bag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy