Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Playful/Easy Offpiste Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Long Story short, I want to upgrade from a 2019 QST 106 to something more playful/easy.

Might be because I have been skiing my onpiste Serpos so much, but the QST feel a bit sluggish and dull now after 2 intense seasons.

I had Wailer 112 hybrids back in the days, these were stupid easy in soft snow and had a huge margin of error. Looking for something with these traits. 180-185cms I think, waist width 105-115 or so.
Low weight is a bonus.

I ski directional, but wouldn't mind an upturned tail either.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar M Free 108. So easy to turn and float nicely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Dynastar M Free 108. So easy to turn and float nicely.

Agree - I like mine a lot (the 182s). Probably middle of the pack as far as weight goes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zag s-104
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mantra M5 96 Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
why not get some more Wailer 112s?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alexsas wrote:
Mantra M5 96 Happy

I have Mantra M5 I wouldn't call them playful...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Scott Slight 100
Not this current season but you will be able to pick up a brand new pair at a good price now.
Narrower than you said but they are good fun and lively, also low weight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another set of Wailers would be an obvious choice if you have the cash. New Blizzard Rustler line is getting great reviews. @Kenx who has DPS skis liked the Elan Ripstick 106’s in his test
https://www.stylealtitude.com/all-mountain-skis-review-2024.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
new Wailers, well there's pricing from outta space...

Mine were Hybrids. I din't like today's Goundation series when I Tried them. I don't like stiff skis. Even the Pagodas are quite stiff...

I am essentially looking for a ski that makes ofpiste life easy, in all but the most misreable conditions.

Existing QST 106 has worked well so far, but has a relatively conservative shape.

MFree seems a great hint.

How about an Atris? Will be skiing in burly AT boots or Hybrid boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
QST 98? Anybody experience with these?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@danbre2022, Got it. I haven’t skied and of the newer DPS models. I’m enjoying some Scott Scrapper 105s but I think again the replacements are much beefier - designed by Jérémie Heitz which I am sure is great if you want to ski at 50 mph all the time
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
danbre2022 wrote:
new Wailers, well there's pricing from outta space...

Mine were Hybrids. I din't like today's Goundation series when I Tried them. I don't like stiff skis. Even the Pagodas are quite stiff...

I am essentially looking for a ski that makes ofpiste life easy, in all but the most misreable conditions.

Existing QST 106 has worked well so far, but has a relatively conservative shape.

MFree seems a great hint.

How about an Atris? Will be skiing in burly AT boots or Hybrid boots.

Aren’t the Foundations basically rebadged Hybrids? Pagodas don’t feel stiff to me but they sure are expensive. The only pair of Atris I tried (a few years back) were dull. The Blizzard Rustlers were much better.

I skied my Pagoda Tour 112’s this weekend and that is a fabulous pow touring ski if you’re looking for light skis (circa 1500g).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Wailer F112's are lovely and soft with tons of rocker, perfect for pow and not too heavy, the F106C2 is a different profile and flex entirely and more suited for hard charging
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m presuming the Dynastar m Free 108 replaced myDynastar Legends if so the ski does it all for you , I wholeheartedly agree with @snowrider,
ski holidays
Not too bad a price

https://www.privatesportshop.fr/42172/elan/5783042-elan-ripstick-106-20-21-skis-freeride-homme-fixations-prd-12-gw-matt-black.html
ski holidays
If I’m reading you correctly, you’re looking for something that skis loose so you can smear and scrub and pivot and flick the tails out easily?

The Dynastar should do that really well based on the shape. Völkl Revolt 104 too. The upcoming Revolt 114 probably too if you can wait ‘til next season.

I wouldn’t really put the Scotts or Ripsticks in that category - more/longer camber and I think they reward a more ‘technical’ ski style better.

You might also look at the Armada ARV106 or K2 Reckoner 112…
latest report
Whitedot Altum range
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Whitedot Altum range

I thought that too in answer to th OP

Maybe vanity, but they look sooooo nice too, worthwhile considering from purely technical, but put together with something that looks that good .....hmm Very Happy
latest report
I was thinking something like the Scott Scrapper 105 where it is softer due to being good in the park as well as good off piste.

@Arno, which season are your Scrappers from and are you saying that the newer version of the Scrapper is a stiffer ski than the old?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I think mine are 2019? For gents, there now seems to be a choice between the Pure Pro 109 and maybe the Superguide Freetour?
Lucky ladies can still get the Scrapper
When I bought mine, I’d also skied the Superguide which didn’t feel that different TBH. I went with the Scrapper because it was available in a 189 but the Superguide only went to 185. The extra 4cm seemed worth it Madeye-Smiley
I also got a very good deal. Less than 300 euro IIRC
ski holidays
@Arno, I’ve got the Scott Slight 100 which are men’s as they don’t do a women’s version, they are marvellous for skiing all over the mountain had no problems at all. Bumps, long turns short turns, off piste, they do the lot. I like them as they aren’t too soft but very lightweight so work well with my Shift bindings for the occasional uphill. Only thing is if you take them in the park they aren’t twin tip or even semi twin tip so I might get myself some Scrapper Ws which will also work off piste and in the park. I’ve done about 21 weeks on the Slight 100s so there will be more time left in them but not much more.
ski holidays
@Arno, I think I tried the Superguide but I found there was a bit of clatter at high speeds whereas the Slights didn’t do that.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I just rented the super guides for a day of touring so didn’t really give them much of a workout on piste
snow conditions
@Arno, yeah they are great for the up but down-not my cuppa tea especially when you can ski all sorts of horrible hard snow on ski tours which would probably make the clatter happen too.
I love these Slights I might even get another pair the same.
latest report
@danbre2022, what about Atomic Bent?
snow conditions
Has anyone here tried the Faction Mana 3?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@danbre2022, what about Atomic Bent?

i have the 120s and they are so easy to drive - 20m turn radius in 193, so easy to ski trees, centrally mounted, so easy to have fun with it. I ski on them everywhere except super hard pack...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cheburator, are they soft and do they ski short? Presume so-but how much shorter?
snow report
Rip Stick 106 - Can carve a turn on a firm piste, but very fun in very deep stuff.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@cheburator, are they soft and do they ski short? Presume so-but how much shorter?

They are soft, but by no means noodles. I am 196cm and 110kg and like to drive them hard. Short of proper crust and frozen lumps I haven't found them wanting. If you want to bomb down hard pistes - hmm, manageable, but not their forte. But messing in the park with my kids - oh yeah! They thrive in soft snow, even on piste, as you can really play with them.

One "criticsm" - being almost centrally mounted, they don't float as well as a 120mm underfoot ski should in theory. You have to be more central in your stance and a bit more careful with your weight transfer. But once you get them up to speed, they do come up Smile And last but not least - they really ski trees/narrows beautifuly - they do turn on a 2 pence. Having a soft tail helps with landing jumps too if that is your thing.

Last but not least - I have them with Atomic Shifts - they tour incredibly well for day trips as they are stupidly light for 120mm. From memory, about 1700gr for a 192cm ski!
ski holidays
@cheburator, thanks, got the Shifts and would have them on next pair yes.
I think on the Bents you can set the bindings slightly further back than central so that you get a more freeride feel from them but then of course they won’t be centrally mounted re the twin tip/park
latest report
Arno wrote:
@danbre2022, Got it. I haven’t skied and of the newer DPS models. I’m enjoying some Scott Scrapper 105s but I think again the replacements are much beefier - designed by Jérémie Heitz which I am sure is great if you want to ski at 50 mph all the time

The Pure 109s are not the beast the OP is looking for - they're straight, stiff and fast. You need to put the work in but boy do they shift. Maybe I'll bring them to Lofoten Arno and you can all laugh at me going straight and wasting all of the elevation. Definitely not a smeary dreamy slash monster. The Scott guys I skied with all really rated the Slight - not sure why they stopped making it. Definitely a fun ski if you can find one. The Scrapper 115 is contender too - stiff underfoot but very nicely balanced with a softer tip and tail. Fantastic for smearing.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, the Superguide 105 was stiff and chattery. The newer Superguide Freetour (also 105 but a completely new ski from the ground up in 2020) is a different beast: a lot more damp and less of a clatter fest on hard snow.
snow report
@Sharkymark, yeah I tried the Superguides in 2019 think it was the 95s and didn’t like them. Chattery like you said, I didn’t like the downhill performance. Especially as when touring you can have all sorts of pants snow coming down.
I don’t do a lot of touring mind so I’m mainly after a downhill ski to use all over the mountain that is not too heavy to take uphill (my Slights are 3200g without bindings so pretty light for quite a stiff ski). Can’t complain about them tbh.

I’m considering
Head Kore 97 or 103
Nordica Unleashed (98 underfoot)
Atomic Bent 100
Faction Mana 2X
Volkl Blaze 94

That’s as far as I’ve got
Can discount pretty much all of the Blizzards and K2 Mindbender 99 because they weigh a fair bit more than mine do, K2 Mindbender 99 for example is 500g more per pair than my Slights.
I don’t really like soft skis because I find they vibrate too much on piste when cruising around at a reasonable speed.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-02-23 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Sharkymark, agreed it’s puzzling they stopped making the Slight, like I said they are brilliant but you don’t hardly see any about for some reason? It is quite stiff but not heavy so I’ve found it brill.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, my brother offered me a pair cheap pair of Slights last year and for reasons only known to my stoopid brain I said no.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Sharkymark, yeah I tried the Superguides in 2019 think it was the 95s and didn’t like them. Chattery like you said, I didn’t like the downhill performance. Especially as when touring you can have all sorts of pants snow coming down.
I don’t do a lot of touring mind so I’m mainly after a downhill ski to use all over the mountain that is not too heavy to take uphill (my Slights are 3200g without bindings so pretty light for quite a stiff ski). Can’t complain about them tbh.

I’m considering
Head Kore 97 or 103
Nordica Unleashed (98 underfoot)
Atomic Bent 100
Faction Mana 2X
Volkl Blaze 94

That’s as far as I’ve got
Can discount pretty much all of the Blizzards and K2 Mindbender 99 because they weigh a fair bit more than mine do, K2 Mindbender 99 for example is 500g more per pair than my Slights.
I don’t really like soft skis because I find they vibrate too much on piste when cruising around at a reasonable speed.

Yeah I've met a couple of people who don't get on with the 95 at all!
ski holidays
Dared to order a pair of WNDR Alpine Vital 100s eventually. Mainly based on raving reviews.These are incredibly smooth and predictable (that reads as "easy" in my book) with a low perceived swing weight and good stability when tracking straight. Fared well in february slush (menu of the season) off piste. Mount point is relatively forward, but felt perfect. That said, I used to like more traditional mounts but am gradually coming to appreciate more progressive concepts.
snow report
How about the OGSO Schwarztor's They are classed as 100 underfoot but scaled so a 186cm length is 106 underfoot and a 194cm length is 108.

So I need to be honest I do test and review for OGSO. But the Schwarztor is my favourite ski and I just keep going back to it. It's fully rockered and I think very playful, for me it's one of the easiest and most forgiving ski have skied. I would say medium flex so fun but can handle most things. Its great in powder but I also like it on on steep 40-45 degree couloirs, If personal skiing I only drop down to the spearhead its little brother with a 86 underfoot for the 180cm for big days

Its light at 1.575 for the 186 this is the light weight touring model they do a medium wight at Diable at 2.25 but I haven't tried this, I guessing it may be a little stiffer. If you wanted to go really bigger they do the Corbets which at 187 length gives it a 112 underfoot, again I haven't skied but its just the bigger version of the Schwarztor.

A corbet's review (not mine) - https://offpistemag.com/ogso-corbets-ski-nimble-and-surfy/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy