Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A rental ski stole my balls!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@snowball, to make clear in my judgment that its not to the detriment of the core ski, just that those Kastlè seem to have focused particularly on adding a GS element to that very capable allround type sky to give that extended balance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks, that's interesting, but I was really wondering if I were to to decide to ski just pistes again, for a day or two, on a proper dedicated piste ski - what might be worth a try (not a replacement for my current ski which does me very well for what I normally do).
Just to make clear, I like to ski quite fast and like steep slopes (not that any pistes are all that steep).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ski3, Hmmm, I tried the ̶S̶a̶l̶o̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶0̶8̶0̶ ̶ when it came out (on a heli ski week with other wide skis back to back) and it was really disappointing. I don't think there was anything very revolutionary about it ... *no was the pocket rocket
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@ski3, Hmmm, I tried the ̶S̶a̶l̶o̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶0̶8̶0̶ ̶ when it came out (on a heli ski week with other wide skis back to back) and it was really disappointing. I don't think there was anything very revolutionary about it ... *no was the pocket rocket

Yes by that time the name extension/brand leverage had effectively branded into that other product arena.

I understand what you mean and should give more detail to that I've posted to define what I thought then.

My understanding of it at that time (original yellow 1080 1st iteration) is that attributes that some may have tried blending into conventional ski edge, torsional response effect etc, specifically by dulling tip tail edge detail was accomplished by that particular mix of flex/torsion/tip & tail rise and all its rounded performance this produced. Was it an ultimate, no. Was it a vector into different ski philosophy, yes I believe it was.

Straight out of the box and with no prep, sharp edges end to end it incorporated the designed attributes into a ski that anyone could clip on and see for themselves. Particularly easy to turn but with front or rear response if you loaded those more dramatically, never and I really mean NEVER hanging up by catching the tip or tail to off balance the skier, seemingly able to land them from any odd angle with them just falling into line and making the skier look good. So many subtle attributes built-in to what looks like such a simple ski.

Amusingly, skiing with a ski instructor friend in Samöens, he on full fis slalom skis, we swapped to try each other's with what you'll expect as observation, just huge contrast, but that's the point of making the 1080 in the first place, to step out of convention.

He thought my 1080 were awful by the way Very Happy but then he could ski the fis skis like wet silk sliding down the piste. Interesting comparison though.

I feel that 1080 opened most designer's eyes to possibility that they just didn't view beforehand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep re 1080 subtle and good … the late and great JP Auclair (and others in the New Canadian Air Force) gave major design input….

Here he is….

http://youtube.com/v/1-VCWUtNm-4

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-02-23 21:56; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, I am unconvinced, but hey, there we go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's the point of doing it differently surely, in that it splits opinion, with that contest then providing the most productive development path with increasing input to that sphere of thinking. Ultimately that tension speeds the pace of thinking, verification and simply the amount of people that are included being drawn to the topic.

From the man himself

http://youtube.com/v/NIFqLmNCHKI
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, nice analysis...

And just great to see JP on vid again...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @valais2, also running Crank Brothers wheels in 26 Very Happy fitted to Orange 223 along with Totem fork Laughing

I certainly get the "faults" pointed out to me when near certain cycling types rolling eyes

As with the 1080, all interesting design.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3,
Quote:

26 Very Happy

Nothing wrong with 26", most of us started on them and rode them for years...my hardtail is still fitted with them...but my slacker bouncer is 27.5 and a whole bundle of fun!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ski3, Nice rig. I’ve just given my Orange Alpine 160 26er to Yves to join the SMS fleet - perhaps regretted it mildly since Yves threw it down the hill and said ‘that’s a seriously capable bike…’ which indeed it is (was). Both Yves and I are around 170 tall, and 26 can serve us perfectly well. 26 ain’t dead…

But I must say my 29ers are bloody fantastic - Cotic bfeMax and Stanton Switch9er. For the Alps I run a Transition Sentinel with extra rear travel courtesy Cascade Linkages - but may for this season get a canyon sender to join my son’s….
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always knew downhillers were geekier than skiers Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
I always knew downhillers were geekier than skiers Twisted Evil

Yep, far more angles to go at for the DH crowd Very Happy

During covid restriction we rode DH everywhere within, ahem, loose radius of home address to comply.

Urban downhill, all stairs, speed humps on down grades etc become part of the scenery if you change approach to immediate surroundings, get out at quiet times and crunch some effort into it.
Managed various loops of up to 35~50miles in varied terrain, certainly made us fitter, funny when mixing with the roady boys in their favoured locality and the pace differential.

All good though, and came out fitter than started by some considerable margin.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gixxerniknik, @valais2, yes there's some really good design and bikes in general available and out & about isn't there.

We are interested in anything really, all the design input etc. Son is studying design currently, hands on experience all part of the fabric, gets us involved building, riding, maintaining plus all the fitness and fun too.

What I like is the thinking being so diverse for essentially the same thing, or close to it. Good to try different design philosophy too to understand the effect.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy