Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motor home

Poster: A snowHead
Yes the two wive thing hmmm , he did also mention a blanket !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kiteman69, yes I will ask there advise on gas etc and find out if electric hook up .
I must say though for thevthree nights , if the first night is too cold I could always just go to cluses and get a room . , it’s really not that much more money than a hire car
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have EHU you will be as cosy as you want, despite the outside temps, it’s a small space to heat.

If you are hiring, and you haven’t driven one before, I’d get to the destination country, then hire there. It will be set up for driving on that side of the road.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you should do it. It's a great price for the van. Great adventure, even if it is jumping in a little at the deep end. Sink or swim y'know...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dode, yes hiring from Geneva . @Legend., Loving the positivity…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a read through this Eh oh!
It has more info than you need for what you're proposing but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

https://www.winterised.com/beginners-guide-to-motorhome-skiing/

For Info: the Flot Bleu at Les Gets was reported as being out of action on Sunday, (the one at Les Cluses is working)
It's possible it could be fixed by the time you get there....??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is no hookup at Les Gets.

You might have to sign up to access this.

https://www.snomadsites.com/item/les-gets-aire/

If all you need is a sleeping place ask the hire company if they can prepare a "drained down" van. You then wouldn't have any water onboard but wouldn't have to worry about keeping a high enough temperature to stop everything freezing and breaking

The hire company would be irresponsible if they allowed you take a motorhome into the mountains without, minimum, all season tyres and snow socks or chains. .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Legend. wrote:
I think you should do it. It's a great price for the van. Great adventure, even if it is jumping in a little at the deep end. Sink or swim y'know...

Agreed, it is a cracking price (To hire similar in the UK would Be £1000/week)

I genuinely want you to do this as it sounds a great adventure.

I think you have taken a lot of the info given by people on board so I am confident you will have a good time (I have seen a few posts on facebook groups from complete numpties who without nay-sayers like myself would probably have put themselves, and others, in danger doing what they were planning as they had seen some vloggers do it and it looked cool)

I will be following your adventures eagerly, and if you have any problems/questions don't hesitate to ask.

BUT

If you do go ahead with hiring, you MUST post a lot of photos to make me jealous snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Just worked out the price for me to take my motorhome from the northwest --> les gets and back again (assuming I had £800 in winter tyres/chains etc) and it would cost me approx £900 in diesel, ferry crossings, and tolls .................. it would also take about 2/3 days each way in driving so it looks like you have found a good solution.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi- we ski 2-3 times a season in our motorhome- over 12 years with 2 kids 9 (now grown up), one dog, (spent last Xmas with 5 adults and our dog - still cooked Xmas dinner in the motorhome!) - we wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise and ours is bigger than most self catering apartments we've used in the past! You do have to have robust leisure batteries if you're staying in an aire longer than a couple of days without EHC- a better option is to book a campsite , use their showers etc, and have the ability to plug in- still only 20-30 Euros a night (although some can go up to 50ish if you want indoor pool etc!). Loads of tips/ advice online (such as opening waste tank into a bucket, hanging duvet across cab, and keeping one roof vent ajar, drying clothes etc)- if you do such things you'll find them extremely comfortable and a very cost effective way to enjoy the mountains even if outside temp is below freezing (our record was -18c; we were a warm 20c inside according to the thermostat! Modern motorhomes are insulated and well heated even if they're not the fully winterised German ones! Just packing ours to go out next week with us 2 and 3 teenagers (2 over 6ft!)- can't wait!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scamper wrote:

I think a lot of 19 year olds would disagree with you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orange200 wrote:
Scamper wrote:

I think a lot of 19 year olds would disagree with you.

Excellent!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I'm far too old, me brain doesn't think along those lines anymore!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Orange200, Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! my daughter of course the exception!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kiteman69, thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iron straightjackets for sale here, get your any old iron straightjackets here.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scamper, good idea . I’m not at all fussed to use the toilet in there if I’ll have to empty it. No probs for me doing it in the summer but if there’s a foot of snow , I’d be a little less than keen , seeing as my time there is short
ski holidays
[quote="kiteman69"]
Legend. wrote:

Just worked out the price for me to take my motorhome from the northwest --> les gets and back again (assuming I had £800 in winter tyres/chains etc) and it would cost me approx £900 in diesel, ferry crossings, and tolls .................. it would also take about 2/3 days each way in driving so it looks like you have found a good solution.

Indeed, last couple of times we priced up for taking the caravan it just wasn`t worth it! It worked out cheaper to drive a less powerful car and hire accommodation. But I always will miss the flexibility of heading for the Alps and ending up where the snow was best!
snow conditions
Scamper wrote:
Have a read through this Eh oh!
It has more info than you need for what you're proposing but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

https://www.winterised.com/beginners-guide-to-motorhome-skiing/

For Info: the Flot Bleu at Les Gets was reported as being out of action on Sunday, (the one at Les Cluses is working)
It's possible it could be fixed by the time you get there....??

There is a font into a wooden trough about 200m up the road then turn right down a small road. I've been up there a few times with jerry cans on the folding trolley. They still have the "dump hut" in the corner of the aire for grey waste.
The Cluses one has always been working when we've used it, the one at Morzine is closer and on the road above the aire.
We are currently at the sosta (aire) in Passo Tonale which has the best ever drive-in service point with electric roller doors. It was so windy a few evenings ago that we considered parking inside for the night!!
snow conditions
Hi all, thanks so much for all the info. Very much appreciated and the confidence positive boosts.
I went on to book last night , the price rose to £670.00 !! For 3 nights! Extra 55 for collecting at 10.am , extra 55 for dropping of at 6.00pm, extra 80 for insurance, 65 I think for snow chains, 40 for bedding, 14 for chemical tabs .
So I’ve decided to go with plan B , it’s a shame as I was looking forward to the adventure , but at over 200.00 a night it seemed a bit expensive for what I thought a cheaper option Eh oh!
snow conditions
Did you clear cookies or use a new private browser window when you went back to the web site? I've found sometimes that revisiting a web-site results in increased prices being shown (as if they are trying to pressure you to buy now as prices are increasing) but if you start 'afresh' you see the original lower price.
snow conditions
Original cost was there, but as you go through the booking all the add ins added up to 670.00 it’s a shame but the cost outward my want
snow conditions
it was a spectacularly cheap price, to be fair, as I noted earlier. Renting a van is always more than something like AirBnB - it's something I've looked into a few times, though not in the Alps in Winter. I'm seriously interested in a trip in Scotland sometime and would only need a small van. Hope your visit goes well.
snow report
This is insanely disappointing. I was looking forward to the trip report...
ski holidays
Quote:

I was looking forward to the trip report...

agree, maybe we can crowdfund the difference.... Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
@pam w, thanks Pam a plan is formed, staying in a snow heads apartment now in morzine and a car hire ( managed to find a half decent deal ) so all set now for my February trip out to see her . I cannot wait Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
@Legend., same mate, it’s crazy to think the price is higher than an Airbnb , I guess if I was there for a longer period the add one would of balanced but for 3 nights it didn’t work
snow report
@hobbiteater, ha ha , now I didn’t think of that Very Happy
snow report
Crikey, that is a fecking bummer. ....................... also £14 for what is nothing more than Aldi Bio washing powder tablets is taking the p*ss ........ literally

I was really looking forward to your trip report, as it would have been a good learning experience for us.

Anyway, hope you still have a cracking trip to the slopes
ski holidays
There is an airbnb type thing for campers https://www.goboony.co.uk/ They cover a few european countries as well as the UK
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy