Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motor home

Poster: A snowHead
Hi , I’m looking to visit my daughter in Les gets lateish if feb, no accommodation available so I was thinking I’d stay in morzine , no accommodation there either ( for the price I can afford any how)

So I thought hire a car and stay in cluses . But an option, what about hiring a motor home . There’s a parking lot for motor homes at the bottom of Perrier lift.

But what’s it like to stay in one during the winter? Am I legal driving it without winter tyres/ chains or do you think they would come with the van.
The price is slightly more than a cheap car hire , but a lot less than car hire and a room in cluses , plus I can walk home from town rather than drive .

Any thoughts are welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For how long? 4 days or 4 weeks?
Have you lived in one before? Sleeping would be ok for me (with thick blankets!), not sure about showers or chemical toilets though.
Don’t you need to park in an approved place?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is absolutely doable. Ideally you want a motor home that is suitable for the task, ie. one that is 'winterised' and you would be fine. Many people do it and it works perfectly.

However, I would want to know how it works before venturing into the cold for a week.

Chains and/or winter tyres, you would need to abode by the local rules.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have never been in a motorhome before it would be a bit of a baptism of fire.
I own a motorhome, and longingly thought about taking it skiing (It would be more than up to the job once I have upgraded the tyres and got snow chains)

You have to think about the simple things that you would take for granted with being in a room ............ mainly where do you empty your waste water and your ****, and how do you power things and keep warm.

Also where and how do you store your cold and wet ski gear.

But please don't think I am trying to put you off, I just want you to think it would not be as easy as the youtubers make out.

Oh and the fuel and toll charges will be a lot more
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The price is slightly more than a cheap car hire , but a lot less than car hire and a room in cluses

That surprises me - they're usually very expensive. I would be tempted by the option, too, but I have done a lot of camping, and lived in a small (Toyota Hiace) camper and very small boats. But done none of those things in the Alps in winter! Yes, people do it, but they are experienced and tough and tolerant of inconveniences which would drive most of us mad. People have sailed round the British Isles in a small sailing dinghy I wouldn't take out of Chichester Harbour.

Cluses is probably your best bet if you can't change dates to avoid the "vacances scolaire".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm wondering if @bigtoe is literally looking for a place to sleep and his daughter will offer him a shower and other facilities, which would ease the prospect.

Great point about drying wet ski gear.

I don't know the battery capacity of these things, my wife is now using an electric underblanket at home, I wonder if that would be a more efficient alternative in terms of targeted heat, retained by body and blankets on top, than heating the whole "room" of a motorhome.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

his daughter

Interesting, isn't it. I inferred, with no reason at all, that the OP was a woman!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am a man Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for all the input .
The parking for the motor home is billable at 18 euro per night. Waste dump is on site and water point, wc as well .
I could possibly use my daughters chalet for a shower but the motor home I’m looking at has one in it. Or I join the gym whilst there.
I’m only looking at 3 nights stay , so not a huge amount of time.
The hire of this beast is £310.00 for the nomad or £340 for the Atlas , both have fixed bed , showers and heating .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as you are giving the price in £s are you renting from the UK and driving over?

Is it possible to post the website so we can guage what these motorhomes are

Also, will you be staying on a campsite where you can connect up to the electricity.

(For some reason I am thinking you are staying in the lift carpark)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Aire at Les Gets is very busy and there's no pre booking. I arrived in early March and there was no space at all. In the end I booked a local site. I had a look a few times while skiing and the Aire was still full. Some people were parked on the road, hoping for a spot to become available, but the gendarmes were on their back all the time.

Personally I wouldn't venture into the mountains without snow tyres and chains. You'll be lucky to find a hire company who will supply them.

The mountains aren't a great place to learn about motorhomes. If you get sub zero temperatures then a lot can go wrong, usually the heating system! That said, having your own "home" at the ski resort is really rather nice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've no experience of cold motor-homing. Do water and waste tanks freeze up? I used to see guys on top of their vans in the aire at Les Saisies, shovelling snow off the roof after heavy falls. I've used an Eberspacher diesel heater on a boat - works very well, though noisy to the point of being embarrassing if you have near neighbours.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jellylegs, Is The Aire at the bottom of Perrier lift?
My daughter is going to venture tgere and see if there’s many there at the mo. Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While your motorhome may have a shower in it, and apologies if this is stating the obvious, you can't have a long hot shower. Rinse, water off, soap, water on and rinse off. Even with a large onboard tank you'll go through water quickly and, unless the water point is on the pitch, you'll then have to move the van to get more water.

Showers in vans are pretty good - but they're not like a normal shower
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even if there are spaces right now, that's not a good guide to the likely state of affairs during the holidays. I imagine people are poised on "changeover Saturdays" ready to leap into any space vacated. I was always bemused by the fact that even the motor homers seemed to stick to the old French "Sat - Sat" model!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boris, thanks , so gym it would be for the shower
ski holidays
@pam w, Yes very true , I was just wondering if there are any using it . My daughter and I walked through there from coming off the mount cherry side ( got a bit lost on the off piste) two weeks ago and I cannot remember seeing any there . But I wasn’t looking for them so it’s not a surprise
ski holidays
You're only there for a few days. Get properly into the van-living groove and forget about a shower.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:

Have you lived in one before? Sleeping would be ok for me (with thick blankets!),

That’s all you need if you’re not lucky enough to have one wife either side. Humans can sleep soundly under many your chosen hide. If you want to spoil yourself(ves) them a tea light is ample. It’s more important to make your presence felt outside the van than in, wildlife considered. I saw a black bear cub in the Pyrenees and fished with the Nike crocodiles on the Zambezi and if one remains aware with pincers aloft and nimble mind. You’ll do well.
Blankly and then some.
snow report
@pam w, that’s kind of my thoughts as well Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
@pam w, that’s kind of my thoughts as well Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
@oneglove, thanks I like a bit of positive thinking. This could be a genius moment
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

his daughter

Interesting, isn't it. I inferred, with no reason at all, that the OP was a woman!

Oh no. My (female) colleague heading the Gender Studies project, which I help with, will be most disapproving - guilty!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
You're only there for a few days. Get properly into the van-living groove and forget about a shower.

To be fair, will be putting on same set of stinky base layer anyway. Pay for a swim at the local swimming pool & shower there.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Do water and waste tanks freeze up?

If it is a UK built motorhome then the tanks are usually bolted underneath as they expect most people to come from caravans and only use them april - october.

Most european motorhome have at least their fresh water tank inside where it is usually 18-21c (you are on holiday not a survival mission).

The "proper" german built vans have also got on board waste tanks that never freeze, but most people can get away with just leaving their waste valve open and draining and emptying into a bucket
snow conditions
Godspeed if you do make it in the motorhome. Perrieres is my absolute favourite run in Les Gets.
My Morzine apartment may be free 24/02-02/03 , the people that booked it now want to move dates, if you want a plan B drop me a PM.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 31-01-23 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kiteman69 wrote:
as you are giving the price in £s are you renting from the UK and driving over?

I've never looked into it, but met a guy in Canada who said it was so much cheaper to stay in motorhomes that's what he usually did. But as (there) they charged a hefty daily mileage fee, he calculated it was so much cheaper to fly to the city involved then rent the motorhome locally, and fly back. Even without such fees I could imagine that the terrible mpg and the motorway tolls would cost a fair bit and would be worth avoiding.
Damn nice for the co-driver to have a good sleep though Smile
snow report
Take a jerry can and refresh the fresh tank a few times from the tap (presuming there is one) and you can easily get a few showers in whilst you're there. If there is no available fresh water buy a few 5l bottles of water for a few euros a pop at the french super market before arriving and you'll be laughing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's at least one motorhome (more like a huge truck) that stayed in Perrieres since beg. of December 2022, so that's doable. Not that it's enjoyable, and I suspect they are season workers in catering rather than pisteurs - where does one hang/dry clothes in these?

Side note: cheap skiing holidays for us come at a price for season workers, there's a thread in sh.com about the new Piste Noire tv serie on French tv (France2), the serie's not very good imho but it still shows something we often overlook.
latest report
@kiteman69, the tanks are generally onboard now, certainly for fresh water. Even in our caravan the onboard tank is inside.
snow conditions
@kiteman69,

https://indiecampers.com/rent-an-rv/geneva/geneva/2023-02-20/2023-02-23/atlas-5/offer/special

Hire from Geneva , the carpark is the bottom of a lift but designated to motor home use at 18 euro per night. As yet I’m
Unsure of electric hook up, they have wc an waste dump etc there
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, thanks I’ll pm you Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@Orange200, yup I would fly to Geneva then rent from there

https://indiecampers.com/rent-an-rv/geneva/geneva/2023-02-20/2023-02-23/atlas-5/offer/special
snow report
@Legend., perfect I forgot I can drop into a supermarket before going up the mountain
snow conditions
@patrick!, thanks for heads up , if doable since Dec , then my three night will be a breeze
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, by the way loved that run. However one of my daughters group said it’s a great run if pisted , I rather liked it as it was , off piste on piste. I did get the most amazing week so far Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Saalnaches have cabins for around £30k
You can stay winter - but let them manage summer. Prob a better option for your own ‘lodge’ compared to a campervan.
ski holidays
Eh oh! I’m renting a camper van for 3 nights @Gored, for £300 odd pounds not 30,000.00 pounds Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
bigtoe wrote:
@kiteman69,

Hire from Geneva , the carpark is the bottom of a lift but designated to motor home use at 18 euro per night. As yet I’m
Unsure of electric hook up, they have wc an waste dump etc there

I am torn on what advice to give................... is this because I would personally not be brave enough............perhaps.

I think you MIGHT be underestimating how cold the van will get. Before committing I would tell them what your plans are and how much gas it comes with (to heat the van at night) and also the size of the leisure battery to power the heating system (But I doubt they would now that bit).

I was "off-gridding" in the peak district in September when my leisure battery failed in the middle of the night and the heating went off. Feck it was cold Skullie

Luckily though the wife was not with me, or I would not be here typing this warning snowHead
ski holidays
You saw what oneglove said, @kiteman69, if you'd had two wives with you you'd have been just fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy