Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Night slalom Schaldming question and help

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning on staying in Kitzbhuel the week of the night slalom at Schaldming, does anyone know if we could feasible go for the the day to watch the night slalom and return to Kitzbhuel after the race has finished I.e. would there be any public transport as we were planning on using the train.Just trying to work out the logistics thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rooski10, looking at the OBB website it looks like most trains involve at least one change (at Bischofshofen), although on a saturday it looks like there one direct IC train with no changes departing Kitzbuhel at 09:29 getting into Schladming at 11:50. If you did that it gives you the afternoon to look around Schladming. Coming back from Schladming might be the problem, I don't know what time the racing finishes, but the departure from Schladming at 08:10 is probably too early (that gets into Kitzbuhel at 00:01, the 22:10 departure doesn't get into Kitzbuhel until 04:41 etc, so if you really want to see and experience the night slalom it might be best to arrange to stay in or near Schladming that night. Fellow snowhead @flangesax runs a guesthouse in nearby Radstadt https://austrian-adventures.com/ and he or his guests may well be going to the night race, although I don't know if he takes just 1 night bookings, maybe worthwhile contacting him. Alternatively you might be able to find 1 night accommodation in Schladming, although it could be busy with some spectators staying overnight in the town.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alistair that very useful Eh oh!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rooski10, if you were to stay overnight in or near Schladming then you should be able to get back to Kitzbuhel by lunchtime, so you'd be able to get an afternoon's skiing in that day when you got back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oebb commonly run special trains to graz and Salzburg. Not sure about Tirol direction. Best keep an eye on this:
https://www.thenightrace.at/de/zuschauer-besucher/anreise-zug.php
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@s397cyg, good call, I didn't know that they ran special trains, but it makes sense given the number of spectators. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rooski10, The racing usually finishes around 21.45. If you actually want to be on the slopes to watch (as opposed to in the town centre) then add at least another 30 mins to get back to the train station. So the bottom line is what @Alastair Pink, said. For a much more enjoyable experience, book somewhere for the night nearby. Radstadt and Altenmarkt are only 1 and 2 stops on the train from Schladming if you cannot get in there. Better still, why not just come and base yourselves in the Ski Amade area for the week instead? If you don't mind which race you watch, Ski Amade gets the women's Slalom in Flachau and women's DH in Zauchensee in a single week in Januray 23.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RedandWhiteFlachau, don't think there is a DH in zauch in 23 Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, You're right! It's been poached by St Anton in the week before the Kitzbuhel Fest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It should be stated on this thread that every Snowhead reading this should attempt to get to The Night Slalom once in their lives.
We were lucky to see Mr Dave Ryding first down on the first leg, this followed his great result in Kitzbuhel the week before.
There are many iconic sporting events around the world, few if any will match the atmosphere on the planai at Schladming.
Serious note! If you go put all your warm clothes on then a few more!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rogerdodger, and something insulating to stand on, if watching from the hill.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Without doubt @HutToHut, speaks from experience, the feet are particularly difficult to keep warm. Prior to the race I kept asking why are so many people walking around with blocks of insulation. It didn't take long..........
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rooski10,

Obviously people have different experiences, but I'll give you mine based on 4 years of the Nightrace, 3 of them consecutively.

Clearly you might get lucky, but realistically, the chances of you finding accommodation in and around Schladming for the night are next to zero.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say there are hundreds of buses come into to the town from all over Austria - and although I've never had cause to use them, I've been told there are many from Kitzbuhel - the Hahnenkamm races have usually been the immediate weekend before the Tuesday Nightrace, and thousands of people go to both.

If you want to eat in a restaurant in town try to book now, but there are plenty of food stalls open.

The 'red' areas that are being referred to above, line the sides of the course for maybe a hundred or so metres from the finish. But unless you get a spot at the rope, imho you can barely see a thing.

One year I had a seat in the stadium (50 or 60 Euro I think) but actually I was a little disappointed. And even not having to stand on snow/ice you can get very cold.
My favourite place is by the Rathaus - you can see the top of the course, but can watch the whole thing on the massive screen in the square. Bars line the Hauptlatz down to the Planai and there are 10s of thousands of people. The atmosphere is just brilliant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the information everyone very useful, been on the bucket list for years especially if we can see Dave , Billy and Laurie super excited to see it. If anyone has any info on the buses from Kitzbuhel please pass on cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m about an hour away that week with use of a car so was wondering if I should pop over for the night race. I’ve always wanted to spectate on a World Cup ski event and was more thinking of a DH or Super G in the day. But having watched Dave Ryding over the last few years (and I was born in Pendle!) maybe now is the time. My misgivings are that I’m not particularly a fan of huge crowds when trying to see something (usually prefer to watch on TV!), I’ll be on my jack jones, parking and also I usually look forward to a nice relaxing evening in the hotel. If all I can see of the race is on a big screen maybe I’d be better watching it live on TV in a nice warm Austrian bar in my resort! Or am I just boring?!
ski holidays
@japes1275 I’d definitely recommend going. If you are in salzburgerland you could get the regional ski pass (assuming you are not elsewhere in ski Amade) and ski in schladming on the day of the race. I did this in 2007. Parked at planai west (walkable from town). It’s not the best access to the ski area but if you finish on hochwurzen you can eat on the hill at the end of the day (quieter than town!!). I have not been since 2012 when the finish was reconfigured for the world championships. In my experience the only concerning aspect of the large crowd was prior to run 1 when there is a large movement of people from town which was an uncomfortable squeeze at times to get to the bottom of the run. The event is enjoyable watching on a big screen in the market square which may suit you better. The whole thing is an amazing experience (particularly if an Austrian wins!) and to be seen to be believed - we ended up there by accident in 2006 and ended up going back 07/08/09/10/12!
snow conditions
Thanks s397cyg, some useful info there. I’ll have a Ski Amade pass so I’ll be fine if I wanted to ski Schladming on the day. In fact parking where you mention early on in the day sounds like a good idea, much better than driving over later and struggling to park.
I’ve got a few months to decide but I’m erring on the side of going now. I know if I don’t go I’ll always be thinking I should have!
snow report
Our first time in Jan! Been on my bucket list for years. We have seats in the stadium and just cant wait! Quite sure it will become an annual thing so interesting to see peoples opinions on where to stand/watch for future ref. Be fab to see Dave R and our Brit hopefuls Eh oh!
snow report
We have so far been to the Hahnenkamm, the Lauberhorn, the Premiere Neige in Val d'Isere and the night slalom at Schladming (we also have tix to see the MS at the World Champs in Courchevel in February) ... nothing, absolutely nothing beats the atmosphere, the vibe and the noise at the night race. The TV pictures just don't do it justice. Enjoy!
ski holidays
https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/42803622.amp

Sums it up?
ski holidays
Sounds awesome!. cannot wait!!! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
I need to confess, I've never thought of going that week in order to watch and "waste" normal access to the slopes but after reading all your posts I feel compelled to do it.
Last time I shivered watching a dynamic event was in London on a particularly freezing January 1st parade, it's about time to get my ears blasted in Austrian style.
My question is addressed to those who've done it: where's more fun and enthralling?
So many possible locations, starting with simply waiting for hours near the piste (red zone) standing frozen near the downhill with an enthusiastic crowd that arrived a few hours before it all started, green stadion card/blue tribune, and ending with the expensive VIP tickets in
Hohenhaus Tenne, Sporthotel Royer or Silver VIP at Schladming Congress.
https://www.ws-snow.at/tickets/
snow report
Went to the 2020 night race. Accommodation for the night was ludicrously expensive, so we rented an apartment for the whole week at normal January prices. It cost less for 7 nights in an apartment than for 1 night in a reasonable hotel. Demand for the whole week is suppressed because many people go to Kitzbuhel the previous weekend and don’t want 7 nights in Schladming.
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, where did you choose to watch the race from, and how long before it started you got there?
ski holidays
I’d say it’s best to be at the bottom if you can but have not done it in current configuration(and prices have gone up over the years) In 2012 (the first year of the new stadium) we did yellow area which is a good halfway house - better view and less walking than red - it’s very steep and can be icy(they carve terrace steps into the snow).

We tended to head back into the square between runs.

We always got tickets through:

https://www.thenightrace.at/en/tickets/
latest report
@s397cyg, when should one be there before the race starts, in order to be near the fence and see everything?
snow report
Depends where you choose to get tickets. We never had a fixed plan, just be aware it gets v busy at the bottom in advance of the first run.
snow conditions
@drporat, I think we either had a Blue Card or a Stadion card. Either way we were behind the finish line, looking straight up the course and were quite elevated. The view was superb and we could watch the top of the run on the giant screens. It wasn’t jam packed and access in and out was easy.

We arrived on the course just before the start of the first run, after a few drinks in town. I think that we went back into town in the long interval between runs. And again afterwards of course.

I’m glad that we did what we did, but, having done it once, if I went again I might just watch it all in the town and not bother getting tickets for the course. Thousands seemed to be doing that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have tickets in the yellow card area for the race tomorrow. Can't wait!
snow report
Alas it will conflict with ballet night. I’ll have to catch up later and avoid this and Go Dave thread.
snow conditions
We have Stadion tickets and so excited! Just love how much the Austrians love our boy Dave! Even our taxi driver home tonight was dishing out the praise for him. 5 years I've been waiting to visit (family and work) so very excited for tomorrow. We think we even got on Ski Sunday in the back of the shot Very Happy
snow report
We are watching the screens in the square...was too late for grandstand tickets, which we do have for the GS on Wednesday
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy