Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR: St Jean d'Aulps (Portes du Soleil) & nearby, 18-28/1/23

Poster: A snowHead
Links to all trip reports

Feb 2014: Soll (SkiWelt), Austria
Jan 2015: Alpe d'Huez & Les 2 Alpes, France
Jan 2016: Les Carroz (Grand Massif), France
Mar 2017: Belle Plagne (Paradiski), France (no TR yet)
Jan 2018: Notre Dame de Bellecombe (Espace Diamant), France
Mar 2018: Ponte di Legno +
Ponte di Legno-Tonale, Pejo, Monte Altissimo (Borno), Aprica
, central Italian Alps
Jan 2019: St Gervais (Evasion Mont Blanc) +
Cordon, Megeve-St Gervais-Combloux-La Giettaz, Les Contamines
, France
Mar 2019: Varena, southern Dolomites +
Alpe Cermis, Passo Rolle, Latemar, St Martino di Castrozza, Alpe Lusia, Pozza di Fassa / Buffaure, San Pellegrino / Falcade, Carezza, Jochgrimm, Catinaccio / Vigo di Fassa
, Italy
Jan 2020: Abondance (Portes du Soleil) +
Portes du Soleil main circuit, Abondance, Cret Beni (La Chapelle d'Abondance), Bernex, Praz de Lys, Thollon
, France
Mar 2020: Embrun, Provence Alps +
Les Orres, Foret Blanche (Risoul-Vars)
, France
Jan 2022: Vizille, Grenoble Alps +
Le Collet d'Allevard, Lans en Vercors, Alpe d'Huez, Alpe du Grand Serre, Chamrousse, Villard de Lans-Correncon, Meaudre, Autrans, Les 7 Laux, Gresse en Vercors
, France
Mar 2022: Aosta Valley +
Espace San Bernardo (La Thuile-La Rosiere), Pila, Courmayeur, Monterosa Ski, Skyway Monte Bianco
, Italy
Jan 2023: St Jean d'Aulps (Portes du Soleil) +
Portes du Soleil main circuit, Morzine-Les Gets, Roc d'Enfer, Praz de Lys
, France
Mar 2023: Valtellina +
Piani di Bobbio, Valchiavenna (Madesimo), Livigno, Bormio, Cima Piazzi, Santa Caterina, Ponte di Legno-Tonale, Valmalenco, Aprica
, Italy
Jan 2024: Aravis & Tarentaise +
Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Valmorel, Arêches-Beaufort, Pralognan la Vanoise, Sainte Foy Tarentaise, Courchevel
, France
Feb 2024: Trentino +
Folgaria, Paganella, Monte Bondone, Rittner Horn, Campiglio Ski, Lavarone
, Italy

This trip report

Skip to:
>> Avoriaz Day 1 / Day 2
>> Morzine / Les Gets Day 1 / Day 2 / Day 3
>> Les Crosets / Champery / Champoussin / Morgins (+ a bit more of Avoriaz)
>> Chatel (+ Corbeau side of Morgins)
>> Roc d'Enfer
>> Praz de Lys
££ Cost breakdown

We're returning to the Portes du Soleil next week for 9 days skiing based out of St Jean d'Aulps. On our last trip to the region in 2020 we stayed in La Chapelle d'Abondance and explored the northern and eastern parts of the Portes du Soleil fairly thoroughly. This time we hope to get to know the other half better: Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Gets and the separate Roc d'Enfer area. No doubt we'll also revisit favourite spots from last time.

Lift passes were mostly purchased in advance, using the Black Friday sale and Avoriaz's dynamic pricing. I think the vast array of deals available for the Portes du Soleil makes it the world's best value large ski area, if you're able to take advantage. Total cost works out at €25 per person, per day, but commits us to certain areas as follows:

Thu 19 - Fri 20: Avoriaz
Sat 21 - Thu 26: Portes du Soleil
Fri 27: Praz de Lys? (not yet booked)

Portes du Soleil piste map here.

Current webcam images look nice and white, but the snowpack is thin lower down. Most lower slopes are closed following late December's rain deluge; for example, there no pistes open in Morzine, Champoussin or La Chapelle d'Abondance apart from beginner areas. But snow is on the way! The outlook is unsettled and increasingly cold from tomorrow onwards, with significant snow forecast. Once we arrive, it looks like cold but more settled weather is likely, perhaps with a gradual warmup later in the month. In other words - the perfect forecast, and one that will hopefully allow the pisteurs to progressively open more slopes.

We'll have a car and I think I've got lift bases / parking worked out: Ardent and Nyon look like the most convenient (free) spots. How early do we need to arrive to get a parking space? I'd also be grateful for St Jean d'Aulps restaurant recommendations - either up at La Grande Terche gondola base, or down in the valley part. And anything else you think might be of use! As always, I'll add photos and a cost breakdown after we get back home.

Roc d'Enfer - St Jean d'Aulps' local ski area

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-03-24 22:07; edited 14 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit windy, bit 'queue-y', great snow, great skiing, great day! Very Happy

And my 66 year old knees (and the rest of me in close formation) did the Swiss Wall. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, took me a good few seconds to work out where that picture was!

Enjoy your trip, looking like some nice temperatures and snow fall ahead of your arrival.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Charliegolf, sounds promising! Was the Swiss Wall officially open? Great if it was.
@swskier, was it the distant mogul field that gave it away? Cheers, yes, looks like we've been lucky.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At this time of year you will be fine arriving anytime at Ardent and Nyon providing morzine is open. Weekends are a different matter - get there earlier than later. Dont forget the new free parking off the side of Piste B - accessed on the road to Les Gets.

I heartily recommend doing a Carrefour click and collect - the large out of town one is super easy and stops you losing precious time in that fluro light hell dome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, Yes it was open. We went up Choucas having no idea that's where the Wall is. I just had to have a go really... Very Happy

The wind was howling up the Choucas side, weather dull- on the wall, it was glorious sun and calm. One to remember.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Dont forget the new free parking off the side of Piste B .

It's only the sign on the main road that's new - parking has been there as long as I can remember Laughing

Few other comments in no particular order:

St Jean - Bar National down in the town do a decent pizza. The restaurants at the base of the Terche are much of a muchness in my experience. Not amazing but certainly not bad at all.

Swiss Wall - not that steep, not that good. It's usually just got massive moguls on it and the top is a bit narrow so gets pretty rutted. Worth doing for the "tick" but it's not a fun piste for any ability! Keep an eye out for falling bodies from above.

Ardent - lift opens at 0845 from memory and parking should be fine this time of year. 0830 should see you in the first few rows. Or park halfway up the car park, walk onto the piste and ski 200m to lift. Good for skiing home at the end of the day as saves you walking back up from the lift station as you can exit the piste right next to your car.

You'll drive past the "big" carrefour (it's all relative) on the main road from St J to Montriond. There is a tiny Sherpa in by the Terche lift and another smaller supermarket on the main road in St Jean itself (Carrefour Drive I think - much bigger than the Terche Sherpa. Avoid big Carrefour Sat evening when everyone is stocking up for the week - it's chaos. Pretty sure it's shut sunday afternoon. But if you work around that then it's not bad.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dashed, Can you give a few pointers as to where this is please.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dashed, i lived there for 5 years, owned for another 5 and never knew about it. Although we never needed to use it as we have a private parking space at Nyon snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charliegolf wrote:
@Dashed, Can you give a few pointers as to where this is please.

Sorry, where what is? I'm a bit confused... The Piste B car park? https://goo.gl/maps/yLYskn74eDVwid1y9 Halfway between Morzine and Les Gets (nearer LG to be honest) there's a new illuminated Parking sign on the main road at the bottom of Route de Bosson - it's a mile or so up that hill and right on the side of Piste B so an easy run down into Morzine and up Pleney.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dashed, Sorry, yes the car park... The penny just dropped, and I know exactly where it is. Wonder if it is still free?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nadenoodlee, @Dashed, @Charliegolf, thanks for the parking info. The Piste B car park is marked on the Morzine piste map as "gratuit". (Piste B has to actually open or be skiable first though - shouldn't be long!) It only has 50 spaces - does it ever get full?

At the weekend, do you think it would be better to ski Morzine / Les Gets as it might be a bit quieter? Or do you recommend heading off somewhere else in the PdS? We have Avoriaz-only passes for Thursday and Friday so it would be a nice change anyway.

@Dashed, great info thanks. Really useful re. Ardent & supermarkets. Though... I thought the Swiss Wall was quite fun last time!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, It was actually the really long t-bar that gave it away, then my eyes ventured to the wall and double confirmed it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can I just jump in please to ask you when you go could you tell me what the draglifts are like in St Jean d’Alps please. Thinking of going there for a day but I’m a boarder so can do t-bars and buttons but not much fun if they are horrible ones. Or if anyone else on here knows locally that could in form me please. Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to love skiing M&LG on a saturday as lovely and quiet. Start at Nyon- over to LG perrieres and Paika for a coffee and work back bia Ranfolly, Chamoissiere, Nyon. Even add Mont Chery if needed. Also they offer a v reasonable weekend pass.
Save PDS for busy days when you need to head to CH.

If coming from St J and starting early, Col D’encranaz at back of Mont Chery is a good start/ end point with free parking.
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, On going to CH... We've been to the bottom of la Grand Conche where there doesn't seem to be very much. Is Les Crosets much further along; and is there anywhere for lunch/drinks when you get there? Finally, is there a lift back to La Grand Conche? I'm asking, cos it's not 'black n white' obvious from the piste map. Thanks.

PS Col d'Ecrenaz is pooh today! We are about 3/4 mile from it at Villiaz. It's awful! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Worth doing for the "tick" but it's not a fun piste for any ability!

I recall quite enjoying it from the chairlift down..... wink
snow report
@Charliegolf, i am going to have to look up the names because I have no idea where you mean. We usually go down Swiss wall (on the lift - feck that) and then work our way to Morgins and back. I’ll have a look and let you know! (I don't even know the names in Morzine!)
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Sorry, you sounded expert! I'm thinking... Ardent bubble, then up out of Lindarets- Lechiere lift-Cases lift- and you are on the ridge at the border. Then blue down to the bottom.
ski holidays
Ok - now I see where you mean and here is my magic route - down the Swiss wall in method of your choosing, head for L’echereuse drag. Do all the lovely reds around there and land back in Crosets - take the mossettes up and do the blue tonPointe de L’Au chair - then take the blue all the way to Morgins - its LONG but A lovely pootle

Take the chair up and ski to a restaurant next to the Chaux chair - superb and free charcuterie with your drinks. Decent prices and the nicest service in Switzerland, incredible views, the list goes on. The work your way back to Mossettes - take your time, lots of runs off each chair, then down into Avoriaz.
Me and Mr NN do this on a 5hr PDS pass with 1 or 2 snack stops

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-01-23 13:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Charliegolf wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Sorry, you sounded expert!.
I am (depending on who you ask Laughing ) I just never look at names or maps snowHead
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, @Dashed, @Charliegolf, thanks for the parking info. The Piste B car park is marked on the Morzine piste map as "gratuit". (Piste B has to actually open or be skiable first though - shouldn't be long!) It only has 50 spaces - does it ever get full?

At the weekend, do you think it would be better to ski Morzine / Les Gets as it might be a bit quieter? Or do you recommend heading off somewhere else in the PdS? We have Avoriaz-only passes for Thursday and Friday so it would be a nice change anyway.

@Dashed, great info thanks. Really useful re. Ardent & supermarkets. Though... I thought the Swiss Wall was quite fun last time!

Saturday is generally changeover day so should be a bit quieter. Sunday is also transfer day for some places though. Personally I'd always ski depending on conditions rather than weekend / midweek as the additional local traffic at weekends is often offset by the transfer day reduction.
snow report
@simonsaysowot, re drags in St Jean. The long one on St Jean was replaced by a chair lift a few years ago. So just chair lifts on the St Jean side. if you do the circuit which can only be done clockwise then you have a chair and an easy button lift to get back to the ridge. Depending on how fast they are running it maybe a bit of a jerk at the start but after that short and not too steep. Then a short button lift to get back to the pistes in St Jean when you are almost back. In the old days you carried on straight back to the ski station but now use a small button tow to get back to the main piste.
snow conditions
Quote:

the additional local traffic at weekends is often offset by the transfer day reduction.

IME (Espace Diamant) Saturdays were quiet. Sundays quite busy with local skiers (and restaurants VERY busy) and with Saturday's arrivals getting going.
latest report
Good tips everyone, thank you.

Wed 18 - arrival day

Typing this update from my bunk bed in La Grande Terche!

Today went smoothly. A full but punctual easyJet flight from chilly Edinburgh (1°C) to equally chilly Geneva, and we were driving away from the airport by 5pm, just over an hour after landing. Car hire was from Unirent (Europcar subsidiary) from the Swiss side: Volkswagen T-Cross with winter tyres, £291 for 11 days. More expensive than previous years, but not bad compared with prices earlier in the year. Snow chains cost extra, so we took a calculated risk and declined, since we are coming to the end of this snowy spell.

Rush hour traffic around Geneva was predictably heavy, but made it to La Grande Terche above St Jean d'Aulps inside two hours, avoiding all the French tolled sections. Geneva was snow-free, but only just, with lying snow beyond Annemasse. Light snow falling for the second half of the drive. Roads were clear until just after Taninges, then increasingly snowy. The last hairpin up to our apartment had not been recently ploughed, and we ran out of traction *just* as we reached the parking area - phew!

Our Airbnb (£309 for 10 days) is a standard 4-person shoebox apartment with bunk beds in the hallway and a sofa bed next to the kitchen / dining area. You know the drill. WiFi is a welcome plus. We're ski in, ski out directly onto the Grande Terche red piste, with views of the gondola base and across the valley from our balcony. The Roc d'Enfer circuit re-opened this morning, and snow cannons are going at full throttle as I type.

View from our balcony

St Jean d'Aulps has two parts: the traditional roadside valley town and the ski station above. The former has a ruined Cistercian abbey and two boulangeries; we're in the latter. Both have a small supermarket and places to eat.

St Jean d'Aulps (ski station) taken the next morning

St Jean d'Aulps (valley town) taken later in the week

Aulps Abbey taken later in the week

Dinner at a busy l'Etabli. Decent fondue with charcuterie (€22pp), hazelnut ice cream (€2.50), lots of wine...

Fondue at l'Etabli

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 29-01-23 19:42; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
@denfinella, that car hire’s an absolute bargain! We’re paying about £590 for an ID3 from Europcar for 9 days a week on Friday.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
@denfinella, that car hire’s an absolute bargain! We’re paying about £590 for an ID3 from Europcar for 9 days a week on Friday.

Wheres this ex? I am paying £320
for (supposedly) an ID3 out of Oslo for 6 days at Easter and I thought Norway was expensive.
ski holidays
@denfinella, enjoy a good kip - looking forward to reading more
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

@ster, swiss side of geneva. ID3 or Cupra equivalent varying between £50-125 a day this season from Europcar. Could get cheaper by using a broker to shop around but not a great deal. We do pay a premium for EV and use Europcar as we get a free 2nd driver - but prices are significantly up this year.
latest report
@andy from embsay, prices seem to be up and down a lot for car hire recently. We originally booked 11 days at £420 but cancelled and rebooked when rates came down to £291. Your £590 could be worse though - I think it was over £1000 for a week at one point!

@Layne, thanks. It's nice not having to drive so far to ski compared with some of our recent trips - more time to relax / sleep!
snow report
@denfinella, yep, I check regularly and rebook sometimes multiple times! My March trip is currently £600 for 9 days. I can rebook at £500 now, but tempted to book a bigger car at the same price as I’ve got an airport run with 5 of us, some luggage and my mate’s skis.

My weekend trip in early Jan started at £400 for 4 days, ended up at £220.
snow report
Thu 19 - Avoriaz

We were greeted with cloudless skies and a very snowy winter wonderland this morning. Popped into the local Sherpa for breakfast pastries and then into Skiset next door for our pre-booked kit, just as it opened at 8am. €187 for 9 days' ski and boot hire, in total for 2 people. An increase on previous years but cheaper than other options I researched locally.

Then off down the hill and to Ardent, where the gondola opens at 8.45. Plenty of parking. Roads still a bit snowy, with some drivers using snow socks or chains.

Lac de Montriond on the road to Ardent

Today's Avoriaz passes were booked in November, with the advantage that they only cost €22 each, but the disadvantage of locking us into Avoriaz regardless of the weather. So we were happy it was sunny and calm - though very cold, with temperatures generally in the -10C to -15C range. Obviously snow conditions were fantastic after the recent heavy falls and low temperatures, with only a few scraped areas where the hard artificial base was exposed, e.g. on Parchets (blue) back to Ardent. Most runs were pisted, but there were a few ungroomed, powdery reds off Cuboré and Choucas.

This was our first time properly exploring Avoriaz, and first impressions are good - lots of snowsure, mainly intermediate terrain, and a great lift system. There is quite a low ratio of pistes to lifts in some areas, resulting in some busy runs. Probably the busiest low season day I've experienced, though not unpleasantly so.

We spent most of the morning on the Lindarets side. Abricotine (blue) and Vautna (red) are fantastic long cruises - though the lower part of the latter was shut as an avalanche had crossed the piste.

Vautna (red) & the Lindarets valley

Fornet bowl from the top of Cuboré

Lécherette (green) - avoid the flat part by branching left to Mossette / Brochaux

Brochaux chair

Back down towards Ardent, the blues under the Prolays chair were very busy early on as skiers fanned out from Avoriaz, but were nice and quiet later on.

Top of the Ardent gondola

Chaux Fleurie (red)

Sapinette (blue)

Lunch prices were a bit of a shock - we've mostly visited lesser-known resorts in recent seasons where everything is cheaper. Lindarets "goat village" in particular was full of very pricey places.

Lindarets

We finally found better prices at Le Cosy Bar at Ardent. €14 plat du jour (creamy / curried chicken pasta) and €16 for the largest burger on the menu (beef, bacon, raclette, potato rosti, plus fries & salad).

Suitably refreshed, we moved across to the other side of the piste map for the afternoon, getting a bit lost in the middle of Avoriaz's tower blocks in the process!

Avoriaz from Crêtes (blue)

Avoriaz

Baggage transfer service

Mélèzes (blue) under the Tour chair

Fornet / Choucas / Chavanette had lots more good pistes with few surprises, with the highlight being the views down the valley to Avoriaz itself, gleaming in the sun. The sun gradually retreated up the hillside and it was bitterly cold in the shade below.

Avoriaz from Aller de Chavanette (blue)

Aller de Chavanette (blue), looking up the Fornet / Choucas / Chavanette bowl

Ungroomed Alpages (red) off the Choucas chair

Then back across to Lindarets for the last hour, via the Tour chairlift. The queue looked big here but ended up being less than 10 minutes. The Lindarets / Mosettes axis was almost deserted for our last few runs - lovely. Back to the car at closing time, and home via the big Carrefour (which conveniently is on the way) to buy ingredients for dinner.

Avoriaz again tomorrow to fill in the bits we missed today!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 31-01-23 15:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Avoid Tour if you can - always massive pinch point and once read it’s the highest throughout of any lift in France (or similar random statistic!).

Stay in Fornet bowl and get Cubore chair over and ski down abricotine.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 19-01-23 21:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
Thu 19 - Avoriaz

We were greeted with cloudless skies and a very snowy winter wonderland when we left our apartment this morning. Popped into the local Sherpa for breakfast pastries and then into Skiset for our pre-booked kit, just as it opened at 8am. €187 for 9 days' ski and boot hire, in total for 2 of us. An increase on previous years but cheaper than the other options I researched locally.

Then off down the hill at 8.15 and to Ardent, where the gondola opens at 8.45. Plenty of parking. Roads still a bit snowy, with some drivers using snow socks or chains.

Today's Avoriaz passes were booked in November, with the advantage that they only cost €22 each, but the disadvantage of locking us into Avoriaz regardless of the weather. So we were happy it was sunny and calm - though very cold, with temperatures generally around the -10C to -15C range. Obviously snow conditions were fantastic after the recent heavy falls and low temperatures, with only a few scraped areas (e.g. on Parchets (blue) back to Ardent) where the hard artificial base was exposed. Most runs were pisted, but powder on a few unpisted reds off Coboré and Choucas (and off piste of course!).

This was our first time properly exploring Avoriaz, and first impressions are good - lots of snowsure, mainly intermediate terrain, and a great lift system. There is quite a low ratio of pistes to lifts in some areas, resulting in some busy runs. Probably the busiest low season day I've experienced, though not unpleasantly so.

We spent most of the morning on the Lindarets side. Abricotine (blue) and Vautna (red) are fantastic long cruises - though the lower part of the latter was shut as an avalanche had crossed the piste. The blues under the Prolays chair were very busy early on as skiers fanned out from Avoriaz, but were nice and quiet later on.

Lunch prices were a bit of a shock - we've mostly visited lesser-known resorts in recent seasons where everything is cheaper. But finally found better prices at Le Cosy Bar at Ardent. €14 plat du jour (creamy / curried chicken pasta) and €16 for the largest burger on the menu (beef, bacon, raclette, potato rosti, plus fries & salad).

Suitably refreshed, we moved across to the Fornet / Choucas / Chavanette sector for the afternoon, getting a bit lost in the middle of Avoriaz's tower blocks in the process! Lots more good pistes with few surprises, with the highlight being the views down the valley to Avoriaz itself, gleaming in the sun. The sun gradually retreated up the hillside and it was bitterly cold in the shade below.

Then back across to Lindarets for the last hour, via the Tour chairlift. The queue looked big here but ended up being less than 10 minutes. The Lindarets / Mosettes axis was almost deserted for our last few runs - lovely.

Back to the car at closing time, and back home via the big Carrefour (which conveniently is on the way) to buy ingredients for dinner.

Avoriaz again tomorrow to fill in the bits we missed today!

Great report - please keep them coming. What a time you've picked to be in the PdS - enjoy!
latest report
@denfinella, some reports of busyness in La Plagne today - I think the conditions must have brought out some locals after the poor start to the season.
latest report
@denfinella, further to car hire convo: have rebooked our trip next week with hertz. Europcar was £595 for an ID3 for 9 days, Hertz is £356 for a Polestar EV. Something wonky with someone’s pricing engine.

But Hertz is without doubt the worst, clunkiest system/app I’ve ever used - it simply refuses to update my credit card details the loyalty scheme section after about 10 tries!
latest report
Just did the car hire check on my UK car hire for next week 35% cheaper for a bigger car!
snow report
@Dashed, yep Tour seemed to have a queue for most of the day, both days. It's OK if you only use it once but you wouldn't want to need it multiple times! We did indeed go via Cuboré instead today.

@franga, cheers, timing has indeed worked out well. Makes up for last March in Aosta when our timing was rubbish...

@Layne, that makes sense. I'd have done the same if I lived locally Cool

@andy from embsay, glad you found a lower rate. Something to consider for the future - try the Autoeurope comparison site. Clear booking process and easy to see what's included / how much for any extras. And free cancellation usually at the click of a button. I haven't ever found a lower rate on other websites compared to what Autoeurope are offering at the same time.
ski holidays
Friday 20 - Avoriaz revisited

Today was our second (and last) day of our Avoriaz-only passes (€25 this time). So back up to Ardent after de-icing a very frosty car. The morning was colder than the previous night, with -16°C at 10.30am at mid mountain. The general plan was to fill in the gaps we didn't cover yesterday: a few runs off Prolays, the Lac-Intrêts / Grandes Combes / Prodains sector, and the Proclou / Super Morzine area. Strictly in that order, to try and stay out of the shade as much as possible!

Combe à Floret was a wonderful (and deserted) first run. We also took a few trips through The Stash snow park out of curiosity - though avoided most of the (very scary) park features.

The Stash

Then across to Lac-Intrêts for mid morning. The lift was quite busy - which turned out to be because the nearby Grandes Combes chair was closed all day. This was a bit annoying as to explore this area, you have to ski right down to Les Prodains and take the big gondola up, then rejoin the queue for Lac-Intrêts each time (or Prodains + Stade + Arare for some of the runs).

Lac-Intrêts chair

Bleue du Lac

Bottom of Arare (blue)

As a result we saved the runs directly under Grandes Combes for another day, when hopefully that lift will be open. Of those we did try - Bleue du Lac / Vaineuve / Crot (blue / red / blue) was a lovely long, scenic combo, and surprisingly quiet. Crot itself was mostly scrapey artificial snow lower down and I imagine gets busy at times, as several pistes funnel onto it. The lower section is steep and perhaps deserves a red grading.

Les Prodains

With stomachs rumbling we headed back to the Lindarets side (via Cuboré, avoiding Tour), which gave us the chance to try the excellent Vautna (red), which was closed yesterday. A lovely, easy run - could be blue I reckon. Lunch was at the Refuge d'Abricotine at the foot of Mosettes-Suisse, which I'd spotted yesterday. A gratin dish using Abondance cheese with salad, and the assiette du skier (steak haché, egg, diot savoyarde in sauce, chips, salad). €17.50 each which I think is reasonable by Avoriaz's standards.

Lunch at Refuge d'Abricotine

As suggested by weather forecasts, patchy medium-altitude cloud drifted in after lunch, which was quite atmospheric without detracting from the views. We also had some snow flurries, which combined with sunshine piercing the thin cloud created a lovely sparkly effect.

We had a very easygoing afternoon around Proclou / Super Morzine, which has a lot of very easy but scenic runs.

Proclou / Sérrausaix lift base

Proclou chair & blue / green pistes

Avoriaz nursery slopes from the Proclou chair

The "Lil Stash" area is excellent (in a child friendly way) with treehouses, ramps and bridges accessible to skiers.

Lil Stash

The very lowest runs under the Zore chairlift had some thin areas (lack of snowmaking) and the bottom part of the Zore piste was closed - though skiable, watching out for stones. Tetras (blue) was another highlight.

Zore (blue) with Morzine's Le Pleney beyond

Busy on Sérrausaix (green) returning to Avoriaz!

Then a little look around Avoriaz (Folie Douce in full swing) and a few last runs back over at Lindarets before heading home for dinner and well-earned rest.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 31-01-23 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If you like burgers, Changabang would have been a good option in Avoriaz. One to remember for future trips.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy