Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term 23 Car Travel Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@DM118, a gentle suggestion, if you were to go early, you could drive straight to, variously, La Rosière, Ste Foy to spend the day skiing/relaxing in either with a day ticket, prior to early evening travel to les arcs. Those two are about 30 mins at most from BsM, both in the sun from fisrt lifts etc. It may suit your intenerary.

Or, Les Arcs itself. If you drive up through 1800 for example as far wandering through as possible, the Chantel area is reached at which point you can easily just walk out onto the piste from parked car and ski down to the pass office. Would make it very easy to use ad hoc for the day before moving to your accommodation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing "from the car" with kids takes some organisation but can be done! We did it from a coach and the tired, bored, grumbly kids who'd spent all night on the bus were suddenly transformed into efficient, happy, little beasts who each had their own bag of "stuff to get into for skiing". But I'd be inclined to leave really early (by 7 am) and go straight to Les Arcs and ski there, rather than ski en route have to pack everybody and their wet gear back into the car. Alternatively, have a very lazy start, enjoy seeing Annecy old town and maybe a walk by the lake, and aim not to get up to Arcs until after 6 pm. Arriving in the resort in the middle of the day the traffic will be very busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all for your replies and advice.

Last year our friends, left after lunch from A43, 73800 Porte-de-Savoie, to Les Arcs. Left around 2 pm and got to the resort around 6 pm... 4hrs to travel 60 miles! Parents were fine kids weren't Crying or Very sad

This time they will be join us later on Sat evening as they will be near Paris region on Sat morning. As they don't have insert day on the Friday.

We are staying in 1800.
So will look to leave Annecy early probably 7am, and already changed into our ski wear, nothing to hire just lift passes.
Apartment won't be ready till afternoon, so will be OK on slopes for the day.

Or may look to stay near Moutiers on Friday night and not rush in the morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only 3 weeks and we should hopefully be there! Getting excited now hearing everyone's plans. And appreciating all the advice!

Last year was our first ski trip with kids, and we did Easter in Les Arcs. Which was great, although very warm and a bit slushy by the end of the week!

This year is our first half term trip. And we're heading to Les Orres, in the Southern Alps. So it's going to be a long drive.

Got to wait til kids finish school on the Friday though. So have a Eurotunnel booked around 9pm, then it'll be driving through the night!

Can't wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DM118, good plans, you just cant really do much else to avoid it really, consider your leaving in the same timescales too, just to get out past Albertville.

All the ski places are definitely worth it in access via Tarantaise though, with such good skiing available. Diligent avoidance helping with stress levels worth it I feel. And very exciting for the family to arrive there with the expectation building.

The access to top of Les Arcs, should you decide that is to just keep following through all the carpark areas on left hand side of village (as you look at it on the mountain. Eventually it'll come to and end with a turning circle near where you can then park.

If you walk out onto the snow at that level, then there's a miniature cable car you can use to access main village level on foot. Coming out of base station and to your right is the pass office about 200mtrs away.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Katski78, We usually travel through the night too, suits some and not others. Find it quite peaceful and usually accompanied by changes in light level and amazing colours as it comes towards dawn.

Its certainly a great trip in our family experience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

So will look to leave Annecy early probably 7am, and already changed into our ski wear, nothing to hire just lift passes.
Apartment won't be ready till afternoon, so will be OK on slopes for the day.

That sounds a good plan. That Saturday will probably be the quietest day you'll have in the week.

You might struggle now to find Friday night accommodation in Moutiers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's nothing in Moutiers or surrounding areas, all booked up, so I stick with Annecy as it's already booked.

Thanks for the tip about Les Arcs 1800, ive been there in the summer, so I'm aware of the car park and have to go into and out, to get the ticket, so we are not charged for the week. The apartments have kindly given us the parking code for our accommodation, but as mentioned the apartment wont be available till later in the day, but that's fine.

The traffic forecast site is great thanks, and I've passed it over to the other travelling parties.

We are planning to leave the resort on Friday 17th probably around 7 pm and plan to drive to Dijon. The traffic forecast looks bad but been assured by another travelling group that it was fine last year. But it seems this year with no covid restrictions it's business as usual.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some newb questions if you don't mind...

* From looking at the drive on viamichelin I've seen various roads having different speed limits and also weather affecting it. Do they clearly show what the current speed limit is? (I'll have google maps up but it doesn't always seem to show it even here)
* Do they show petrol prices on the main road for the services or will we need to use the apps to see what it is?
* "Typically" I presume that it's not until you get towards the alps that its snowy and even then its very dependant on weather. Does non alps France get much snow or is it similar to the UK?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rob_Quads wrote:

* From looking at the drive on viamichelin I've seen various roads having different speed limits and also weather affecting it. Do they clearly show what the current speed limit is? (I'll have google maps up but it doesn't always seem to show it even here)
* Do they show petrol prices on the main road for the services or will we need to use the apps to see what it is?
* "Typically" I presume that it's not until you get towards the alps that its snowy and even then its very dependant on weather. Does non alps France get much snow or is it similar to the UK?

Motorways are typically 130km/h in dry weather and 110km/h in wet weather - your responsibility to drive at the maximum speed in the conditions prevailing. Various areas such as around Chambery have a variable speed limit, typically set at 90km/h but have seen it reduced to 80 depending on traffic conditions and this is usually quite clear on the road signage. Around built up areas the speed limit is often reduced to 90km/h but that is clearly indicated on the road signage.

Petrol prices are typically shown on the boards advertising the service stations on motorways and give plenty of warning but this website may also be useful for you to look at in preparation for you route as it gives up to date fuel prices… https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Snow can fall anywhere so be prepared, got caught in some in Troyes once and an Audi in front of us thought he could drive ‘normally’ until he ended up parked on the central reservation pointing in the wrong direction!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 21-01-23 15:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob_Quads wrote:

Generally on motorways no. You're expected to know the speed limits (130k in the dry, 110k in the wet). They expect you to decide for yourself if it's wet or not, and sometimes the rozzers have a different idea to what you might believe. There are occasional illuminated motorway roadside signs, but I've only seen those give speed information during smog/pollution type restrictions. Tunnels and around bigger cities can have overhead gantries with illuminated speed limits.

On non motorways it's the normal UK style signage for the most part (black numbers on a white background with a red boarder). Just remember that when you pass a town name sign that indicated the start of a 50k speed limit - there is not a UK style "50" sign to indicate the start of the limit.

Rob_Quads wrote:

Autoroutes yes. Ordinary roads no.

Rob_Quads wrote:

We've had snow between Calais and Cambrai before. Thankfully managed to avoid having to put the snow chains on just to get out of the chunnel area. Anywhere can get snow/ice, but the likelyhood increases with altitude.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DM118, "There's nothing in Moutiers or surrounding areas, all booked up, so I stick with Annecy as it's already booked."

Certainly no hardship, and first ski trip for me was through there on a tour bus and down along the lake toward Albertville, I couldn't quite comprehend just how beautiful it is with the turquoise lake seeming to float between the mountains. Quite some scenery and we usually aim to travel through there on the way if convenient, makes for a superb approach to a ski holiday Very Happy

As you have, visiting in summer also very good for us too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On French motorways if you need to have your windscreen wipers on continuously its max 110kph.
Of course if its a foreign registered car its 110 kph if its raining/snowing .
No one knows if the expanding network of Motorway speed cameras know if its raining or not. Similarly no one knows if since Brexit the UK will allow The French to use the UK Reg.no. database to send out speeding fines.
FWIW In 2021 I was flashed twice by the new style cameras going around Chambery with the Variable speed limits showing, never heard anything .... but its 3 lanes of traffic so may not have been me that caused the flash...

BTW. The tolls from Calais to Albertville were €92 in December. I think they increase on Jan 1st if they do it is usually only by 2 or 3%
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Does non alps France get much snow or is it similar to the UK?

Lots of non alps France gets snow fairly regularly and the bits that don't can't cope well with it, naturally. There have been reports on SHs over the years of people being forced to travel in convoy behind snowploughs quite far north, but you can't plan for that. I've heard all HGVs ordered off the road around Troyes. Thing is, most French roads are hugely less busy than the roads many of us are used to in England - it's a big, mostly empty, country. So you don't get the immediate traffic chaos we get here, except round Paris.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, Indeed, I have seen chaos around Chambery with an unexpected snow shower and the local cars not being able to drive up the exit ramp.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Does non alps France get much snow or is it similar to the UK?

Lots of non alps France gets snow fairly regularly and the bits that don't can't cope well with it, naturally. There have been reports on SHs over the years of people being forced to travel in convoy behind snowploughs quite far north, but you can't plan for that. I've heard all HGVs ordered off the road around Troyes. Thing is, most French roads are hugely less busy than the roads many of us are used to in England - it's a big, mostly empty, country. So you don't get the immediate traffic chaos we get here, except round Paris.

Definitely, we've travelled from Sevenoaks Kent Completely through to the Alps with snow all the way one year. 2nd week of March too but travelling at night, followed a gang of two snowplough for 30 miles near Dijon as well.

Monumental ski week though snowHead

Also return from Val Thoren until Calais in it's entirety for another trip before Christmas. Think the salt air near Calais stopped it settling Very Happy
latest report
I visited the big supermarket centre in Albertville on the morning of one of the "snowmageddon" episodes, on my way to the Fréjus Tunnel and Italy. The shops hadn't opened because they were still clearing that massive car park of snow. There were at least half a dozen huge ploughs just on that car park alone, which underlined the huge investment in heavy plant which would make no sense at all for a shopping centre in the UK. It makes me cross when people make mindless comments about our inability to cope with snow in the UK. Would they like to pay the Council Tax cost of an entire fleet of snow ploughs, just for a small town in Hampshire? Les Saisies is a very small town without a of traffic and it has loads of ploughs and then a good number of tipper lorries they put the snow in to drive it out and dump it over a cliff somewhere. And they rely on drivers to have the right equipment. On snowy days half the cars driving through the village street have chains on.
snow report
And I’m back! 3 years since I’ve been skiing and we’ve booked self drive to Val d’Isere La Villaret Apartments in La Daille. Out on eurotunnel at 6pm Fri. Will skip upthread and see. Got to see where my snowheads stickers are to be recognised en route! Can’t wait.

Going to be driving with ordinary tyres on the X5. Chains in boot for rears and snowsock for fronts if required. Not going to stop o/night except for a nap in the car. Going to be slow uphill so just will grin and bear it.

One year I spent an hour putting snow chains on the car to get the final 400yds up the hill to the accommodation so I’ll be practicing. Don’t forget the gloves!
snow conditions
Bumping this thread as getting closer to holidays and may be better to consolidate driving questions in one thread as lots of experienced car travellers on here.

One of my greatest frustrations driving on French motorways are generally large, mostly GB, diesel SUVs that take their overtaking position in the outside lane way too early to overtake a lorry that is still quite far away. They will normally be set on cruise control at 130kph and disrupt the faster flow of traffic going faster lane. I think the best way is to pull out later and quickly pull back in as the French do. I appreciate this can seem scary to the uninitiated but it is overall more efficient and faster for all involved. Everyone should be anticipating who is going to do what. I’ve got used to this over the years driving outside of school holidays.
ski holidays
Have you heard of the elk test?

I’m sorry if you feel frustrated having to lift off occasionally on your autoroute blast but I’d rather tall heavy suvs particularly where a roof box has raised the CoG, look well ahead, look well behind in mirrors and take their time within reason changing lane.

Jerky fast manoeuvres help absolutely no one if there’s a crash and the road gets closed.
ski holidays
@MHskier, sorry I do not mean fast jerky manoeuvres as I have a roof-box myself.

I imagibe an Elk test is very different t where you have a car having to take aversive action for an unexpected stationary Elk with a great closing speed.

My point is about overtaking a known lorry with lots of time to think about when and how to get it safely done in such a way that minimises the flow of faster cars coming behind.

I have no problem with the way most european drivers pull out and back in with blinkers flashing for the entirety of the manoeuvre. It will sometimes mean I have to use the brakes but this is normally anticipated.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
One of my greatest frustrations driving on French motorways are generally large, mostly GB, diesel SUVs that take their overtaking position in the outside lane way too early to overtake a lorry that is still quite far away. They will normally be set on cruise control at 130kph and disrupt the faster flow of traffic going faster lane.

Errrr..... That's the speed limit.
snow conditions
@195062, Yes but no need to linger in outside overtaking lane on an exaggerated overtaking manoeuvre - this is the frustration. In reality modern cars are flowing above the speed limit when safe to do so.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, If you're frustrated by people sticking to the speed limit, then you need to develop a bit more patience. Or take out Belgian citizenship.
ski holidays
@195062, Was thinking Luxembourg as less tax and nicer cars. Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

If you're frustrated by people sticking to the speed limit, then you need to develop a bit more patience

This. Are you one of those back-bumper bullies who drive far too close flashing their lights at drivers doing 130 kph (or 68 mph in the rain)?
snow conditions
Morals aside, moving from one lane to another it's the responsibility of the driver moving to make that safely.

The highway code says

"Rule 133. If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.27 Jul 2022"

I know someone who recently failed her test on something similar, leaving a 3 lane dual carriage way onto the slip road, 70mph limit eventually going into a 40mph, but much further down the slip, slowed too early and judged a major breach in awareness of own safety and that of other road users.
Was expected to move further down towards the lower limit before reducing speed.

I understood this too from my test years ago in making sure you join a lane, slower or faster, that to adjust speed such that you can fit in without disturbing those already there.

Sticking to your own morals and pulling into the course of another vehicle counts for little if it's you and your own family at risk. Being aware of different pace etc is part and parcel of driving risk you take on, you may have low judgment of an approaching vehicle that's travelling faster than you, even if you both are within limits applied, thats not so easy to judge in a mirror often.
ski holidays
It annoys me that there seem to now be an assumption, on the part of many drivers joining motorways, that it is the responsibility of cars already on the motorway to give way to them ( like the périph!). Today, on a dual carriageway (not a motorway) I had to slow significantly to avoid a car joining the motorway. I suppose I was doing about 60. There was a motorcyclist coming up quite quickly outside me, so I couldn't pull out but at least half a mile of empty carriageway behind me. All the idiot had to do was ease his foot off the gas a bit and slip in behind me. Really poor driving.

French drivers are much less likely sit in the middle lane going nowhere than British ones. But they do tend to pull in far too close in front after overtaking - so you either ease off to back off them, or sit far too close. Very irritating.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, French drivers generally are fairly concise in overtaking and making sure they return to appropriate lane for their own pace.

The slip road entry is a bugbear of different type to some. A friend until recently driving HGV car transporter describes the amount of times he'd encounter similar, car joins at lower pace, then doesn't get moving. If that happens too close and with the car tight under his nose the automatic system hammers the brakes to avoid collision, sometimes with plumes of tyre smoke that properly spooks the following vehicles Shocked it's that judgment of adequately matched pace that should be used to avoid. Many car drivers seem oblivious of this and the HGV view of them.

Automated system also has a hissy fit on the A road sharp turns near Arundel, see oncoming traffic as threat and nails the brakes Very Happy
snow report
Radar cruise control of the slower car (or lorry presumably ) being overtaken also doesn’t like it if the car passing pulls in too quickly either. Give people space. I once did a drive to survive course and instructers advice was to always think about a 360 bubble of space to minimise potential issues.
snow conditions
Yes definitely @MHskier, another one is people panicked that they're missing a turn off, across the front of radar equipped vehicle and response from that.

Met someone in Flaine a few years back that had got together with a Polish HGV near sevenoaks, dark and rainy, they'd contrived to get together with their car being pushed along sideways on HGV front, until driver realised. Surprisingly survived the ordeal, and proceeded in a bit of a tatty state, both car and nerves, without further issue.

Epic snow that time, which was the most important element Very Happy

If I'm passing some Merc/Volvo on their offside I can see the red indicator come on in their drivers door mirror to warn them, that seems quite a good and useful attribute.
snow conditions
Thinking ahead to fuel fill ups. Has anyone got any information on action that might affect supply? From what I've read supply is fine but last thing any of us want is to be caught short.
ski holidays
Fuel supply might be a bit patchy. Best thing is not to let the car get down into the red! I've done a number of solo drives to the Alps, quite often in one hit, and I have a pretty strict rule of stopping every two hours, having a coffee and a pee and usually top up the tank well before empty, with a last fill in Sallanches. I certainly CBA to drive off the autoroute and faff around looking for cheap fuel. Apropos the discussion above, I always aim to stick to the appropriate speed limit but sometimes the speed drifts up - that's often a sign that my concentration is probably drifting too, and it's time for a stop. I've never had a car with cruise control. On an open road the engine/road noise does much the same job for me.
snow report
Going in a Tesla Model Y, leaving home around 0415 (in Kent) aiming for the 0530 Eurotunnel on Friday 10th Feb. Trying to get to Thyez for the overnight, which, with cold weather and charging should be doable. Early morning Saturday drive up to Avoriaz to beat the traffic. Counting the hours now....
snow conditions
Pretty much the only time I use cruise control is driving overnight down the French motorway. Nice to be able to flex the legs. And also to keep a consistent speed which I would imagine is good for fuel consumption.
snow conditions
The_Gate wrote:
Going in a Tesla Model Y, leaving home around 0415 (in Kent) aiming for the 0530 Eurotunnel on Friday 10th Feb. Trying to get to Thyez for the overnight, which, with cold weather and charging should be doable. Early morning Saturday drive up to Avoriaz to beat the traffic. Counting the hours now....

Be aware that Eurotunnel want you to check in a minimum of an hour in advance
ski holidays
We’re going flexi Very Happy
latest report
Bristol to Tignes (Val Claret) 9th-19th Feb

Bristol-Newhaven, 9/2
Newhaven-Dieppe-Lyon (Est), 10/2 (didn't fancy the 'joy' of Dover-Calais this year)
Lyon-Tignes, 11/2. Thanks to all the contributors about getting going early / v early from Lyon up to BsM. Brekkie at the F1/Premiere Classe from 6am Laughing

Tignes-Chartres, 18/2
Chartres-Dieppe-Newhaven-Bristol, 19/2 (Hopefully home by about 11pm)

Any SH's on that route / crossing, look for a slightly tatty silver Kuga, with aircraft stickers all over it (and hopefully some SH ones too if they turn up in time snowHead )
snow conditions
I may as well focus on route given the current snow conditions and forecast Very Happy Next week for Feb Half term I am solo with daughter to La Plagne, so leaving straight from school at 3pm, Eurotunnel 7-8pm 'ish (yes Flexiplus - no judgement please - I can't face the stress of slipping schedules given the unreliability of Friday night traffic). I find that I let traffic alerts and timing determine whether I take Lyon/Bourg en Bresse/Aix/Annecy routes and we just drive through the night, we have pillows, sleeping bags etc but I usually share driving with husband. If I can get past Moutiers by around 8am, it's usually okay. Return leg, leave late Saturday after skiing and stay at hotel near Dijon, usually cross-country navigated by 14yo daughter, then Eurotunnel Sunday afternoon. Far more leisurely return!

There is nothing quite like sunrise over the mountain tops as you approach from the plains of BenB or Lyon, that is when the excitement in our car is palpable.

Usually 2-3 stops and yes, @Ozboy, we are the same: petrol and toilets at the same stops!

@PrinceJohn, I second you on the Emovis tag, I am often alone driving so it saves trying to scramble over or getting out of the car so is less stress, until the invoice arrives Laughing
ski holidays
There is nothing quite like sunrise over the mountain tops as you approach from the plains of BenB or Lyon, that is when the excitement in our car is palpable. @Snowmadmum,

I just love that time as the sky has been changing slowly for some time, then finally the sun peaking over the horizon, one of the rewards for driving through in one go.

Yes very exiting, especially with a week of skiing ahead of you Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy