Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term 23 Car Travel Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@stefoy4me, Good for you avoid the carnage tough keeping awake though . Bet the the border experiences today for all were better than a normal half term Sat .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We left Châtel at 3:15pm and arrived at our usual overnight stop at the Hotel de La Val Moret between Dijon and Troyes in 5 hours. We have taken the cross-country route over the Jura mountain from Lausanne and joined the A39 at Polingny. Very relaxed drive averaging 80kph compared to our friends who left at 8am this morning taking autoroute from Annmasse and have now just arrived in the U.K. and will reach their home in Berkshire in 14.5 hours with flexipass - 2.5 hours more than usual.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Departed Val Moret at 8 this morning and made it to Eurotunnel at 11:10, well in time for our 12:50 booking on which we were given a spot. Had a 30 min wait in the terminal for a sandwich waiting for boarding. Both French and British border control very smooth and no more than 10 mins in total to get through to the boarding lanes for a train which departed at 12:35. We’ve used this schedule for a number of trips coming back to U.K. on holiday weekends and it works welll - leave Châtel c. 3pm on Sat, overnight at Hotel de la Val Moret (5 mins off motorway) and take a lunchtime crossing on Sunday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Came home yesterday. Left St Jean D'Aulps (Edge of Morzine) at 6:30am. Hit the tunnel at 15:50 for a 18:00 booking. Moved to 17:30, grabbed a coffee, usual queue through boarders and away. Chatty guy who booked us in commented on how quiet it was at the time...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yesterday we left Ischgl at a very nice 8am, got to the tunnel at 850pm... stuck to speed limits and just went on cruise control. 4 short stops.. through security and onto a train within 35 mins... Flexiplus.. brilliant!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You all seem to take less time to drive across France than me, and I drive at 130kph and have a telepéage token. Left VdI at 3.30 -> o/night in Chalons-sur-saone at 8.30 -> left at 9.30 and arrived at Eurotunnel at 15.30 (zero queue - staff commented on how quiet it was)

11 hours driving including a couple of short stops.

Saw about 200 U.K. XC90s…
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Left Val D’Isere at 6:40 and was going well but then quickly hit the traffic and then it became a bit of a standstill after Bourge. We ended up trying to take a detour to which I think did save time, ended up going parallel to the N90 on the D88 - very windy.

After lots of further traffic we eventually got onto the main roads but then kept hitting traffic after traffic, some just due to load others due to the 1 lane tunnels. In the end it took us around 6 hours to properly get out of all the traffic above Lyon instead of 3. This meant it was busy for the rest of the drive but not too bad - was able to stay at 130km/h for much of it. 

Did find the services a bit of a chaos around lunch. So little parking for the amount of cars trying to stop and also coaches which completely overwhelmed them. Didn’t really find anywhere good to stop for dinner so we decided to just hammer on to get to the Eurotunnel.

Eventually got to the Eurotunnel at 8:30pm and after expecting it to be chaos with the strikes, it was very smooth - I booked onto a 9:37 and went onto the lounge to grab the expensive freebees - In the end we didn’t have much time so had to rush but actually had more than we thought as we ended up catching the end of the earlier train so got back to the UK even earlier. By 11:30 was back home near Southampton (after a quick stop after the tunnel for some proper food)

Slight downer of the day was to walk into our conservatory to find one of our inside panes had smashed everywhere - not what we wanted to return to.

As usual like the trip out saw sooo many UK XC90s returning.

Lesson learned was that we should have left earlier, if we drive again we will be leaving 1/2 hours earlier me thinks as it just makes such a difference.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 19-02-23 20:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rob_Quads,
Quote:
near Southampton (after a quick stop for some proper food)

Wow! where was that, - proper food and Southampton in the same sentence snowHead Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will say that the standard of driving got a whole heap worse the moment I hit the route at Chalon en Champagne.. literally we saw one British car the whole way from Ischgl, through Austria, into Switzerland and then into Alsace and over the Voges.. Honestly... Brits..... absolutely shocking and driving like knob heads.. I did take a few pics of prize offenders, but won't stir the pot so bad and see if any were snowheads.. lol - apart from if anyone own that jet black G wagon.... but come on guys and gals, chill out on the road, you've had a nice holiday Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Left Val Thorens at 6am Saturday. Whole journey was pretty smooth except losing about 45 minutes in traffic where A26 joins A4 south of Reims. Went in Tesla model Y so stopped 3 times on the way to charge at Superchargers plus final charge at the tunnel, but the chargers there weren’t working properly as had slow output so cut it fine getting home with only 3% battery ! Charging added approx 2 hours in total each way but allowed plenty of time to have meals, toilet and stretch legs. Arrived at tunnel about 7.15pm. Passport queue lane was about 5 cars deep and took a while as passport scanning computer took ages processing each passport. Flexiplus so didn’t wait long for train then clear run home.
Lovely week in the sunshine - wish there had been fresh snow more recently but overall a great trip.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Back at work following stress free drive back from Les Menuires at the weekend

Left at 6pm ish on Saturday afternoon after a great day watching the mens slalom qualys in Courchevel including this bloke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hubertus_of_Hohenlohe-Langenburg 64 and still going....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QyHxwyCxAwRdcxgm6

Wonderful lunch as usual in Le Bouc Blanc then quick blast over to Meribel to watch the ladies slalom.

2-3 hr drive to Lyon to our hotel - traffic lights to control traffic coming into the Tarentaise were still on at Moutiers at 7pm and resort bound traffic looked solid all the way to Albertville.

Easy cruise up the A6 to Caen yesterday, usual Paris excitement then relaxing ferry home yesterday evening.

Generally stress free all in all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SHAP wrote:
How strict are they being about about the arrive between 1-2 hours ahead of your crossing?

Something I only found on the Eurotunnel website while sat in the return queue looking for something else but you can arrive 2hrs either side of your booked crossing and they will put you on the next train (though potentially for an extra charge if you've booked the last train in a cheap window and arrive 2hrs into an expensive one).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a difference a year makes!

2022 my friends children had a school show for the last day of term that they both wanted to be in so we didn't set off from central London till probably 5pm. Add in the usualy half term London traffic, joined the check-in queue and stupidly following the "Flexiplus use any lane" signs only for the yellow jacket jobsworth to refuse to let us into the terminal car park skip lane so spend an hour crawling around the car park and through passport control, spending time collecting food nobody eat from the Flexiplus terminal and we finally arrived at the Gare ibis budget in Saint-Quentin at 00:30/01:00 Saturday morning.

2023 no show and the school were happy for them to be picked up an 1pm. Traffic out of London wasn't too bad, check-in queues only 5 or 6 cars but we stuck to the dedicated Flexiplus lanes - only to find no yellow jacket so we could have used any lane. Literally no queue at either UK or French passport control, just a toilet and tea stop at the Flexiplus terminal and a good run on the Autoroute saw us into Saint-Quentin before 8pm so everyone out for pizza.

From other posts it sounds like there's a golden window at the Eurotunnel around 16:30, after the 'no school on Friday' and before the 'after school on Friday' waves.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After MiniCF woke up (slowly, he's 16) on Saturday, we joined the queues out of Tignes. Actually, it was all pretty easy to BsM, then crawling all the way to Moutiers - about 3 hours.
Having decided that any of the services at the end of the valley were too busy, we pushed on, topped up the tank and 'offloaded some cargo' somewhere on the A6 and made it to Chartres by 8pm. So about 10 hours on the road.

Sunday, was far more leisurely, with a saunter up through Rouen (and a little blat around an old F1 track Cool ) then up to Dieppe. Whilst its nice to have a proper break in the journey on the 4hr crossing, sadly we were 'penalised' for getting to Dieppe early in that we got shoved up into the bow of the ship, and ended up being last off the vessel. So, docking in Newhaven at 7pm, meant clearing UK Border at about 8:15, and getting home to Bristol around the midnight mark. Today is a bit of a blur, but thankfully, work is 'steady' snowHead

A lovely week away, and I will cherish the memories, and not dwell on some of the minor frustrations. In spite of the ferry being 1/3 the price of the tunnel, I'm very tempted to go the faster / easier route next time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Something I only found on the Eurotunnel website while sat in the return queue looking for something else but you can arrive 2hrs either side of your booked crossing and they will put you on the next train (though potentially for an extra charge if you've booked the last train in a cheap window and arrive 2hrs into an expensive one).

Not necessarily - only if there's available space. Early January, travelled back Friday and arrived at Calais a little time after the one hour cutoff having had a couple of delays. Booked departure was 19:50, earliest train I was offered was 01:15.... Didn't help that their trumpeted four departures an hour was in fact one, with a two-hour gap before the train they put me on. Calais terminal is a very boring place to have to hang around for six hours.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 20-02-23 16:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@195062, Ouch. 6 hours in the terminal would be torture.

@Alex A, At around Chalons-en-champagne one sees UK registered cars racing to Calais to make their slot and avoid 6 hours in the terminal. I can only think they perhaps should have left earlier. Or if they are in a >£60k car they should perhaps have bought a flexiplus ticket (or gone with an operator that includes them in the price so you don’t go “How much, are you insane???”

Anyway. Glad everyone is back safely. Roll on 2024.
snow conditions
@Checkflaps, "and a little blat around an old F1 track Cool" I'd like to see that but not been past there for a few years.

Interesting, for those that like racing history, the Rheims grand prix racing infrastructure is still largely intact and very close to route when travelling A26 etc to Calais. You can stop and walk around it, a cathedral to previous racing exploits Very Happy a nice break in driving if you take something to eat etc .
snow report
Quote:

a cathedral to previous racing exploits

and the actual Reims cathedral has some lovely Chagall stained glass windows.....

Glad you're all back safe and sound.
ski holidays
We did a transfer from Lyon to Les Arcs on Saturday 11th Feb. First ski trip for 10 years (previously done Chamberry to La Plagne but not at half-term!). The transfer was +7 hours (2.5 going home) - seems to be similar to last year based on conversations in the Chalet. Is this something that we should just get used to? Or is travelling on the Sunday much much better (Ski Olympic offer a change over day on the Sunday for example).

Thanks
snow report
Quote:

is travelling on the Sunday much much better

Yes, and you get to ski the final "transfer" Saturday, which is usually quieter on the pistes.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

a cathedral to previous racing exploits

and the actual Reims cathedral has some lovely Chagall stained glass windows.....

Nice linkage there pam, and Chichester too I believe Very Happy
latest report
@mobileadam, if you can do Sunday to Sunday definitely a good idea.

Just don't think many TO's offer it so less choice.
latest report
AndrewBailey wrote:
@Alex A, At around Chalons-en-champagne one sees UK registered cars racing to Calais to make their slot and avoid 6 hours in the terminal. I can only think they perhaps should have left earlier. Or if they are in a >£60k car they should perhaps have bought a flexiplus ticket (or gone with an operator that includes them in the price so you don’t go “How much, are you insane???”

We had a woman going completely batshit in the pre-loading area on our way back. Think she jogged down to the front to speak to the staff 3 or 4 times, complaining about how they had been there for an hour (there being a queue of cars with the same boarding letter as us, who only had time for a quick pee between check-in and being called, then tops 30min in the pre-boarding queue). I think she'd already been down to moan once when their barrier went up...to let 4 or 5 cars through before closing again. Seems she couldn't grasp that if there's space on a train they will fill it up - but that doesn't mean there's room for the whole line, so she was off non another jog. Then loads of cars came from the left so she was off again. Seems she didn't understand the difference between a standard and Flexiplus ticket either. And when she wasn't jogging up and down she was stood on the door tread of their (£60k) Land Rover Disco'. And then her husband joined in by blairing his horn.

I don't think for one second all the horn and jogging made any difference to their boarding - but it did have us in stitches laughing at her Smile
snow conditions
What did you guys all do re "winterizing" your cars? I'm considering driving down next season in 2024, haven't done it before.

Is it just a case of buying snow chains and knowing how to put them on if required?
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
@Checkflaps, "and a little blat around an old F1 track Cool" I'd like to see that but not been past there for a few years.

Interesting, for those that like racing history, the Rheims grand prix racing infrastructure is still largely intact and very close to route when travelling A26 etc to Calais. You can stop and walk around it, a cathedral to previous racing exploits Very Happy a nice break in driving if you take something to eat etc .

Did Reims Gueux last winter on the way back from Les Orres. Cool
Much more to see there as they didn't flatten the site, and you can get a proper feel of the place.
Unless you know Rouen Les Essarts, you could drive past it and never know it was there. snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

What did you guys all do re "winterizing" your cars? I'm considering driving down next season in 2024, haven't done it before.

There are approximately 486 threads about this. Do a search.
snow report
Pyramus wrote:

Is it just a case of buying snow chains and knowing how to put them on if required?

Assuming you want to follow the law and not gamble on good weather...

France:
You need to buy some chains/socks.
If you need to replace any tyres between now and your trip go for some cross climate tyres that give you winter tyre performance with summer tyre road noise.

Austria:
You need buy winter/cross climate tyres.
You should get chains/socks too to cover all the bases.

Italy:
Based on general Italian driving, just press your horn and close your eyes.

In all cases buy some diesel near the mountains if you have an oil burner.

And beyond that:
A spade.
A towel (to clean/dry your hands after putting on chains).
A couple of tea light candles and a box of matches (1 tea light on the dash will heat a car enough to stop you freezing).
snow report
Winter driving tips rules and regulations here

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-in-europe/winter/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, tea lights?how bizarre

Brush to clear the snow off the car.

Windscreen cover

Low temperature Windscreen washer

I now have a bread knife to chop off the frozen slush to give tyre clearance...lesson learnt
snow conditions

ski holidays
I left La Plagne around 5pm Saturday 18th and had a smooth run to hotel in Dijon and then onto Calais for Sunday and echo that Eurotunnel was eerily quiet. However I really feel for anyone travelling into the Tarantaise valley or in Albertville that Saturday afternoon as it was completely gridlocked to near the Chambery/Grenoble autoroute junction after 2 accidents on the N90. I have been stuck in that traffic often when flying into Grenoble but never have a I witnessed anything so long.
snow conditions
Snowmadmum wrote:
However I really feel for anyone travelling into the Tarantaise valley or in Albertville that Saturday afternoon as it was completely gridlocked to near the Chambery/Grenoble autoroute junction after 2 accidents on the N90.

I have to say I don't really. Basic research/knowledge flags up what it will be like.
latest report
Think this is what I drove past @Layne, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11774029/Six-children-16-British-skiers-injured-horror-car-crash-French-Alps.html
snow report
@Snowmadmum, doesn't help for sure and yes I have some sympathy in that circumstance.
ski holidays
Even a small shunt can cause extra chaos when the roads are carrying so much more traffic than normal. I hope the people hurt in that crash will be OK - but yes, the general mayhem is readily predictable.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mjit, tea lights?how bizarre

While thrown in as a little joke for the over-preppers for a trip to the alps it's actually a true one and quite a common glovebox accessory for people who live in places where getting stuck in the snow miles from anywhere is a real possibility.
ski holidays
^ yup we have them in the cars, shovel and blankets as well (Highlands)
snow conditions
Or have enough fuel to run the engine/heater a bit. And very warm clothes. Use the shovel to ensure the exhaust pipe is kept clear. Skullie
snow conditions
Even in the UK it's possible to get caught in a snow drift and be waiting a couple of days for help to reach you. Go to somewhere non-city in Canada or the northern USA and that goes up.

I forget the number (I live in London so it's really not a concern, just one of those things that got stuck between my ears) but it's something like 1 tea light will keep a car above danger temps. for 12 hours, so a few in the glove box will keep you safe for longer than a tank of fuel. And you can probably last through to spring if you're on the way home from Ikea!
snow report
No one mentioned dog food yet? Keep a couple of tins and a tin opener in the car for emergencies – you won’t eat it unless it is a genuine emergency, unlike bars of chocolate.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy