Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Preacher Replacement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I’m in the lucky position of finally going back to ski in Colorado. It’s only been a 29 year wait!

As well as taking the whole family, I’ll be bringing along my trusty Whitedot Preachers. Unfortunately, like me, they’re getting on a bit, so I thought that it might be a good idea to replace them during the trip. If I could, I’d just buy another pair, but that’s just not possible now. Therefore, my question is; what do I buy to take their place? I’ve haven’t been following the ski market for a very long time, and so I'm completely out of touch with current ski trends.
Does anyone have any suggestions? What ski replaced your Preachers?
I really looking for something that has similar characteristics, i.e. dead easy to ski, great fun, greats you in and out of trouble effortlessly, and are so laid back that you almost fall over. So far, I’ve thought about the DPS 112RP. As you can see my list is very short at the moment.

I suppose new bindings will also be required. I’ve been using Vist and Quiver Killers, but again, they’re as old as the skis, and I don’t know if I could get new skis drilled for them, as Vist bindings do not seem to be available in the US. Again, does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m also in the same situation with my Stöckli Laser SCs, although I might replace those with a new pair (if I can justify the price to myself). Maybe a pair of Montero AX. Has anybody skied these yet?
Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

I might even be able to write a trip report next month.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skier from Argentina,
I’ve had two pairs of Preachers and loved them. Eventually skiing in Europe I decided to go a bit narrower and got some 98mm Scott’s. The DPS is a fantastic ski if not a little expensive the other ones I tried were Black Crows but maybe not available in the US/argentina. I’ve heard good things about the Whitedot Ragnarok a smeary 118 ski but I haven’t tried them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have never skied Preachers, but Whitedot altum 114's seem to fit the description

(Referred to as ASBO's because the ease + fun of skiing them brings out the inner teenager hunting for every opportunity to do something 'stupid' (mainly because you are confident you will still be upright afterwards:sH:)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Closest actually to replace them in the current range is the Ronde110. That said a change is as good as a rest so I'd be thinking a little more new school and second the Altum in 104 or 114.

As you've mentioned QK and Vist then I'm thinking Piste Office was involved, so I'd just call him up for the best impartial advice (as clearly I am not impartial).

The Ragnarok is also great, but probably only if your Preachers are 189's.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies.
I guess I'll add the Altums to my list. And call Jon to see about getting hold of a pair, as they don't seem to be available in the US.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
@Skier from Argentina,
I’ve had two pairs of Preachers and loved them. Eventually skiing in Europe I decided to go a bit narrower and got some 98mm Scott’s. The DPS is a fantastic ski if not a little expensive the other ones I tried were Black Crows but maybe not available in the US/argentina. I’ve heard good things about the Whitedot Ragnarok a smeary 118 ski but I haven’t tried them.

Which pair of Scotts did you get?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had sooooo much fun on the Whitedot ASBO's in Tignes pre-Christmas! snowHead
Popping off the piste... popping back onto the piste... popping off the odd bump... Someone my age should really not be getting that much air-time in a week but it was the skis wot made me do it, honest guv! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skier from Argentina, The Powd’air. Took some getting used to and despite being 100 underfoot are more of a carving ski than a smearing ski. They are very light which I like.
Not sure they still make them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Skier from Argentina, Try the Altum 104's, Jon sold me a pair and they are fun, there paired with the Raganrok CL's are a great quiver.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DPS 112RP + Stockli Laser would make a quality quiver Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skier from Argentina, the Altum looks a really nice ski. I bought Ragnorak Asym from John (during covid lock/unlock period and haven't yet been near any powder to use them) which I'm anticipating to be a really good wide ski.

They both look fabulous though if nothing else. I was split between Altum and Asym though because I run as general ski a 90mm wide twin tip and went wider to have more of a difference in ski type as contrast. With enough money I'd have bought both though Very Happy

Alternative, Black Crow Anima and Kastlè BMX in various width could be of interest.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well things haven't quite turned out as I would have liked.

Had a slight accident on Monday morning, and amongst a few other self-inflicted injuries, I broke my right wrist in two places. So now I'm wearing this. A nice comfy plaster cast from thumb to shoulder. Embarassed

We're due to fly to Colorado in two weeks. The Doctor I'll be lucky to make the flight, as it'll only be three weeks since the break, although there is a faint chance. And, of course, no skiing if I do go. Evil or Very Mad I'll also miss the first three months of the rowing season down here. Mad

Anyway I won't be needing any replacement skis for my Preachers anytime soon, but after talking to Jon, I've decided to invest in a pair of Altum 114s (I've a bit of a soft spot for Whitedot skis. We have four pairs in our house). I would really like to try some DPS 114RPs, but that just won't be possible this year, even if I do get to go. I'll just have to settle for watching the rest of the family have fun.

Oh well, only another five to six months to go until the season opens here. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy