Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paying for Piste Maps

Poster: A snowHead
@denfinella, at least you can re-use the keycard year on year and even for other resorts that use the same type of keycard.

Drawing the new lifts on an old map tests my drafting skills!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best print off a few Grand Massif piste maps next time I'm in the office then!

Must admit, 1 Euro isn't much but it would be nicer to have consistency of free/charge across all resorts.

Tend to agree with a previous poster....will it only be so long until you can also purchase a 'fast track' lift pass (probably only for peak periods) at significantly more cost? Alton Towers style....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. I've expressed surprise here before that resorts don't use "peak pricing" for lift passes. I've spent days when there's hardly anybody on the slopes. Charge more in peak times, and offer special deals at quiet times. Restaurants could join in too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kettonskimum wrote:
...will it only be so long until you can also purchase a 'fast track' lift pass (probably only for peak periods) at significantly more cost?...

In Serre Chevalier, season pass holders and HoliSki (Oyster Card) can purchase the "Joy" add-on; you rock-up to a rammed chairlift, even with loads of ESF instructors and pupils in their line, and you sail up the outside in the dedicated Joy line past everyone, it's one of the few advantages of paying for an astronomic lift pass this season, with no early season discount Evil or Very Mad

In Steamboat Springs we skied with the first tracks lift pass that gave us, I think, about 45mins before the resort opened up, again not too sure as to the cost, $40 ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

My number one piece of kit is my varifocal prescription sunnies, in fact, you can buy cycling sunnies with a reading lens in the bottom, or from Amazon you can buy stick-on reading lenses and put these on your existing sunnies.

Nice idea. Wouldn't work with polarised lenses though. I spent a good couple of minutes a week or two ago trying to figure out why my phone wasn't working before I lifted my head and saw the screen below the bottom of my sunglasses. D'oh! Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
kettonskimum wrote:
...will it only be so long until you can also purchase a 'fast track' lift pass (probably only for peak periods) at significantly more cost?...

In Serre Chevalier, season pass holders and HoliSki (Oyster Card) can purchase the "Joy" add-on; you rock-up to a rammed chairlift, even with loads of ESF instructors and pupils in their line, and you sail up the outside in the dedicated Joy line past everyone, it's one of the few advantages of paying for an astronomic lift pass this season, with no early season discount Evil or Very Mad

In Steamboat Springs we skied with the first tracks lift pass that gave us, I think, about 45mins before the resort opened up, again not too sure as to the cost, $40 ?

Off to Les Arc's in March and looking at the lift pas offer and if you buy the Essential pass which covers La Plagne as well there are 13 express lanes in with the package. Not sure if there are any in La Plagne

13 express lanes : Grizzly / Peisey / Derby / Vallandry / Villards / Comborcière / Mont Blanc / Carreley / Vagère / Arpette / Bois de l'Ours / Marmottes / Varet
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chaletbeauroc, I have two pairs, one low-light orange Bolle lens that works pretty well in all conditions, then some other polarised ones, Cebe, that I tend to use more in the brighter intense Summer light, when it's just a bike computer I'm trying to read, and not a map etc on the phone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stevew, La Plagne / Les Arcs is owned by the same Company as Serre Chevalier, Compagnie des Alpes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use some poundshop glasses to reverse my contact prescription (or as near as I can get).
Useful in restaurants for menus, but even then, still needs a bit of moving in and out to focus.

(will have new prescription this year, so could be interesting)

The problem is that they are invariably in my backpack, or an inside pocket and are a real pain to use when on the slopes. It's just too much faff.
My phone is also kept in an inside pocket to protect the battery from cold and where it won't get damaged in a fall.
Plus, in bright sunlight, phone screens can be very difficult to see, especially with tinted lenses. (another item to "hold" whilst you check the screen)

I can quickly take out a piste map from an outside pocket, and as long as it's a decent scale, I can read it well enough at arms length to check my route.

I tried varifocal glasses once. Just couldn't get on with them. Respect to those of you who have mastered them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
Some of you may find FatMap interesting, I think the basic Fatmap service is free?

Had a good chat with FatMap at the Snow Show. Liked the look of it and downloaded afterwards. However, given that they used Les Arcs as their stall's backdrop at the show, wasn't quite so impressed that the app still had the old Pre St Esprit and Comborciere lifts showing, which were replaced around 5/4 years ago. Now seems to be slightly improved, though with strange hybrids of old/new. They gave me a free neckwarmer, though! Will probably keep the app on the phone to use for reference when visiting unfamiliar areas, but in tandem with standard piste maps.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 28-12-22 20:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevew wrote:

Off to Les Arcs in March and looking at the lift pas offer and if you buy the Essential pass which covers La Plagne as well there are 13 express lanes in with the package. Not sure if there are any in La Plagne

13 express lanes : Grizzly / Peisey / Derby / Vallandry / Villards / Comborcière / Mont Blanc / Carreley / Vagère / Arpette / Bois de l'Ours / Marmottes / Varet

Quite an increase in the number of lifts covered this season, unless I'm mistaken. Not worth bothering in low season - longest queue I stood in a couple of weeks ago was about 40 seconds. Will probably be rather different when I go out again next week. However I use Ski A La Carte, which I don't think gives this benefit, so expecting to spend a bit of time in longer queues.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

wasn't quite so impressed that the app still had the old Pre St Esprit and Comborciere lifts showing,

At least it wasn't the old Comborciere drag lift.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

wasn't quite so impressed that the app still had the old Pre St Esprit and Comborciere lifts showing,

At least it wasn't the old Comborciere drag lift.

Before my time! First visit 2000, regular since buying apartment in 1950 in 2003.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am also surprised there are not more options offered by lift companies to manage demand. The last couple of years Monterosa has had "dynamic" pricing for lift passes where you can see the prices are quite a bit higher in high season weeks. And they at least claim that the earlier you buy your lift pass the cheaper it will be. I am all for that if it means total number of lift passes sold are limited - i.e. the lift company generates their income from higher lift pass prices rather than just volume - but I suspect that will not be the case in many places.

I am also happy with an option to pay more to skip queues. It is no different in my view to different levels for service offered by airlines/train companies etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our local area offers quite a wide range of ski pass options including a season pass for week days only.

Options also include High/Low season prices, morning passes, afternoon passes, parental pass sharing, discounted early bird season passes (9/10 days and you’re essentially skiing “for free”), ski 4 out of any 6 day weekly passes etc. Free beginner areas (valley stations only). Seems like a sensible approach.
ski holidays
Need to pack a roll of sticky-back-plastic in the suitcase now
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy