Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Tight Should Boots Be?

Poster: A snowHead
First time I was fitted in a shop that knew what they were doing with a correctly sized pair of boots, I was convinced that they'd got the sizing wrong (1 size smaller than previous pair) and they felt uncomfortable tight both in the shop and for the first 3-4 days of skiing, to the extent that I'd take them off at lunchtime to let the blood back into my feet if possible. However, I trusted that the boot fitter knew her stuff and persevered, and once the lining had packed out they became much more comfortable but, importantly, still with absolutely no heel lift or movement in my feet. I absolutely loved them and was gutted when I finally had to replace them 8 years later.

For what it's worth, the bare-foot shell measurement and gave about 15mm space from heel to shell.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds just about normal but can't rule out being too tight... if you got them at a good shop you should be just fine. Expect lots of pain for the first few days of skiing but they will break in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skithesteelstealtheski wrote:
Expect lots of pain for the first few days of skiing but they will break in.

Really? Is that the norm, to expect lots of pain?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much. Everyone complains about their boots for the first few days in them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
skithesteelstealtheski wrote:
Expect lots of pain for the first few days of skiing but they will break in.

Really? Is that the norm, to expect lots of pain?

I have to get a new pair soon and am really not looking forward to it because I have been through this many times. Sorry I didn't add your name on the reply reply but see my response above.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skithesteelstealtheski, Wear them around the house to break them in. And do foot stretching exercises.

For the first few days, just take lots of hot choccy stops to undo your boots for a few minutes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AL9000, do not wear them round the house, unless you are skiing down the stairs. ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget to unclip the buckles on the lift its what all the wannabes do
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My general guidance has always been that if you get a good shell shape and fit (15mm shell gap is about optimum but to most recreational skiiers this will feel way to small) they will be very tight and snug. Standing around you might have a few hotspots, one you ski in the your foot will naturally move backwards slightly (assuming you actually pressure the tongue haha) so you tend to find either toe box or midfoot issues abate quickly. I always ALWAYS told my clients to ski on them first thing with the cuff done up but not rammed tight and leave the forefoot undone for one or two gentle runs esp if its very hard piste conditions. That lets your feet adapt and blood to flow a bit. I've just bitten the bullet myself and gone to a 92mm plug race boot as I have mega skinny feet and even a 98mm or 95mm last leave me swimming about after a week or so, they are a fantastic shell fit and after an hour on the dry slope last night they are fine, some application of a heat gun in a few areas will help them out a bit. I was a boot fitter for a long time and trained in biomechanics and physio so would describe myself as an amateur still compared to others. In general though something properly painful or with severe hotspots from the get go needs a thorough looking at, ditto shin bang , blisters etc all point to either a biomechanical issue (lack of ankle mobility etc) too big a boot or a bad footbed (non neutral). But that's only from what I have dealt with over the years. But in almost every case of a well fitted boot the clients immediate comment has been it's too small, only ever had a few exceptions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother, whose parade?

i was wondering that too, i think he was hoping it was mine... wrong!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@AL9000, do not wear them round the house, unless you are skiing down the stairs. ...

Feet up watching footy ok?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AL9000, no, really not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So how do you break-in new liners?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:
So how do you break-in new liners?

by skiing, be it on a snowdome, dryslope or in a resort
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I didn't have any "pain for the first few days" when I got my last pair of boots (S4F).

As they've padded out I've just tweaked the adjusters on the buckles.

Feeling snug doesn't necessarily equate to pain does it?
snow conditions
No, i would not expect them to hurt hurt, they should be tight which might feel a bit uncomfortable but will resolve.
latest report
orange wrote:
No, i would not expect them to hurt hurt, they should be tight which might feel a bit uncomfortable but will resolve.

agree, for the most part the people we see who have PAIN in fitted boots have a biomechanics issue of some sort that needs to be resolved before the boot needs major adjustment... trouble is people want instant perfection, it really isnt that simple in a ski boot
latest report
Layne wrote:
I didn't have any "pain for the first few days" when I got my last pair of boots (S4F).

As they've padded out I've just tweaked the adjusters on the buckles.

Feeling snug doesn't necessarily equate to pain does it?

I'm not sure if 'pain' is the correct word to describe the new boot tightness as this implies your're doing your feet an injury, but then again 'snug' doesn't do it nearly enough justice either. The best phrase I can think of is really Be Nice please! tight, and the relief of taking them off at lunchtime or end of day after 3+ hours skiing is like when you finally make it to the service station toilets after being stuck in a motorway traffic jam for an hour or 2.

On the plus side, skiing with shiny new boots that make it feel like your feet are welded to you skis is amazing.
snow conditions
"The longer it takes for your boots to feel perfect, the longer they will be perfect." Gospel according to Steve

"He who buys boots out of resort, will be better wearing them out of resort than in." Also the Gospel according to Steve.

"He who buys boots in resort, from the piano player, rather than the dude that makes the piano, is never going to be able to play the piano, he just owns a piano, made by the piano player who can play a tune, but he now owns a piano that weirdly sounds out of tune but that's fine, he has a piano, and it makes a noise." Also the Gospel according to Steve after a few beers. Toofy Grin
snow report
@milzibkit, did you get it sorted with the shop? How are they feeling now?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy