Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

At least a more unsettled picture going forward

Better than a nothing at this stage....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm hoping snow is like busses. You wait for ages for some and then it all comes at once (though preferably not while driving over from Italy)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@leggyblonde, @adithorp, major changes this morning!

Three forecasts that I've looked at, now have snow, and nigh on 40cm, 7th & 8th March.

Ensembles make for an unsettled picture you'll glad to hear.

I'm just back from my longest and most vertical XC skate to date, and you two think cycling is hard Laughing

Pistes were in glorious condition, that was till a couple of km out Le Casset and then from there to Les Boussardes was not posted.

Top local cyclist who is also a top XC did a similar route and was so quick and he just posted "Quel kiff aujourd'hui" basically, What a pleasure today, not too sure I'd describe it that way Laughing

This is pretty damn impressive if you can see it

https://www.strava.com/activities/8635302620

Now to walk dogs 5km and then drive to Turin to get OH rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-02-23 13:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, XC skiing looks brutal, there's a reason those guys found EPO first!

ECM looking nicely unsettled too...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My cycling is all cafe cruising these days so XC is slways going to be harder. Expecially as 2 cafe cruises this weekend doubled my count for the 2023.

Weather predictions are looking positive
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am a complete newbie to booking a skiing holiday, last one I went on was with school, so trying to get my head around snow reports... I've got a week and a bit free w/c 13 March. Does Serre Chevalier look like a good bet? (seen a good deal) Or should I head somewhere else? Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it works for you, do it.

It's a great area, just check snow-forecast and https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com

For me, as long as the place you are staying is fairly close to the slopes then it should be fine. Snow depth seems okay, I think the trees keep the sun off the snow.

Weathercam should be able to help in terms of actual snow conditions as they are on the piste, in person.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@macski1978, welcome

In addition to the above, if you're planning to get lessons make sure you're happy with the commute to the meeting point. Also, not looking to put you off but it's not the easiest place to get to this year, and if you're planning to travel outside of the sat/sat your only option is likely to be a taxi or hire car.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@macski1978, if you can provide the package that you are looking at, we can advise better.

As @silentice, mentions, unless you're driving out, or travelling independently on a Sat or Sun, mid-week transfers are a must.

Pistes are still in perfect condition here, though forecasts are forever changing for next week, the 40cms that was forecast for next week has disappeared from two forecasts this morning rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been an interesting three or four days, and that's not just looking at the changing forecasts Laughing

I've never seen forecasts change so much and others have said as much too.

This is the latest forecast this morning and as you can see there is some precipitation in that!

And no doubt that will all change again from day to day.

It's the last day of the holidays and it should be quieter in the valley now.

There were substantial snow-falls over in Italy this week and mid-week I went to explore some options, and more in the blog on that

https://stylealtitude.com/best-day-of-the-season-blog.html

And yesterday we probably had one of the better days of the season, though I did see some very good evidence that Montgenevre had a substantial snow-fall too, but as happens from now you have to ski the snow very early before it gets too heavy, and when it is snowing this time of year it's generally not uber freezing so the snow is quite heavy, hence a good clear night helps suck the moisture out plus you can actually see where you're going Laughing

Exhibit A

http://youtube.com/v/hHxcEtr_AWM
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just in time gor the SOPiB snowHead Temps are looking a bit warm in some forecasts but fingers crossed and "beggars can't be choosers" and all that Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@adithorp, @leggyblonde, this is a good site that is often overlooked, some of the French instructor/guides use it and you can see why.

https://www.skipass.com/meteo/serre-chevalier.html

Last day of Pointless today so going up on that as a nostalgia trip for a Carv session though I'm going to use my Sleights to see what I can do on those, plus will be a slush fest quickly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, certainly looks pretty certain re precipitation, however take those minus temps with a large pinch of salt! More like 0 to plus 5 degrees in the valley, hopefully that equates to snow fall higher up !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, if you look at skipass they give FL's P/N levels and it looks like above 1,900-2,000m will see the white stuff during the day, maybe lower during the evening.

Arrived back down at Pointless and they were having an end of an era get together, and speaking to someone they confirmed that the lift is scheduled to be ready for the 2023/24 season - so a tall order, but all the other buildings will be added the following year(s).

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How high is the new bubble going up that replaces Pointless? Will it have a mid station? Was struggling to find detailed plans.
snow conditions
@RetroBod, no mid-station, going straight up to the plateau where the two Mea drags are.

Forecasts are still all over the place, and now a case of which one, with regards to precipitation you don't want to happen, as https://www.skipass.com/meteo/serre-chevalier.html have another 25cm of snow on the 13th but with a FL of 2,441m.

Their current headline is Il pourrait neiger jusqu'à 139 cm en haut du domaine de Serre Chevalier dans les prochains hours.

Looks like another lovely day today, off out soon for XC as not too sure how many days we'll have left after Wednesday, and piste skiing kills my fitness levels Laughing , as here they close the pistes March 20th.

Then back up the hill again behind us for a picnic with the mutts as they love it up there with all the scents, though Ullr is firmly on a leash!
ski holidays
If this forecast doesn't have a low enough FL it looks like it could be a season ender for a lot of runs.

Where did you see they're closing pistes on March 20th? April are the current dates on the web:
https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/ski-area/practical-information

The marked touring routes are in really bad shape. Are there any decent routes within the resort that don't require a lift pass? And for the ones that go from mid station or above, what would you recommend?
ski holidays
shredder wrote:

Where did you see they're closing pistes on March 20th?

Think he means the cross country pistes. Hence he's doing it before they shut.
snow report
Yes, it's the Cross Country pistes that are closed from the 20th though not too sure about Monetier.

And the in-resort touring routes are all fecked and closed and I doubt with the forecast if they will open again this season.

As I mentioned back up the hill behind us which is on the South side and you can see the difference between either side of the valley, and how still plenty of snow into the resort.

And this morning they've been busy tearing up the lower Le Bez piste that would have let you ski back down to Pointless, they could have at least left a small route or created another one for all the skiers staying in the various accommodation below us who don't have cars, especially Odalys which is now full of Czechs and Poles rolling eyes

Advised a bunch of them this morning who were merrily walking to Pointless unaware that it was closed.
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes, it's the Cross Country pistes that are closed from the 20th though not too sure about Monetier.

Ah cool that makes sense.

Quote:

And the in-resort touring routes are all fecked and closed and I doubt with the forecast if they will open again this season.

The Casse de Beouf trail is open, how or why I'm really not sure. Did part of it today and ended up walking most of it, really needed crampons as the trail is rightly fecked

Quote:

And this morning they've been busy tearing up the lower Le Bez piste that would have let you ski back down to Pointless

Wow was over that direction today and didn't even notice the lift wasn't running.

Fingers crossed for one last period of cold and snowy weather to bring us to the end of the month snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@shredder, we skinned the CDB route when it was closed back in December and that was definitely not for beginners, and now it's 1000% worse, so surprised it was open, you sure you didn't miss a sign Laughing

Strike today evidently so a number of lifts not running, if you want to skin up then the trail(s) up to Frejus village and beyond would be a good option.

And the weather is still all over the place, and I really can't quite believe what this weekend is looking like currently, what with the supposed arrival of a large group of SH's.

Those coming via Montgenevre might be ok but those scheduled to get over the Lautaret might end up doing the Gap detour; but it could all still change.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

...with the supposed arrival of a large group of SH's.

Supposed Puzzled We're coming, like it or not NehNeh

Weathercam wrote:
Those coming via Montgenevre might be ok...

That's going to be interesting Laughing
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Hope you’ve packed your wellies!
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Weathercam wrote:
Those coming via Montgenevre might be ok...

That's going to be interesting Laughing

I meant "supposed" arrival in that you're meant to arrive on the Saturday, and for some that could be a little tricky.

Main thing to take on board and might be worth posting elsewhere, is that the roads in the valley after around 18:30 are far worse than the roads over the Cols which are cleared by the Hautes Alpes Department, 24hrs - that last big snow-fall on Dec 17th had a friend who managed to get over the Col and then outside Monetier the road was far worse, as he had to get to me to get some keys. It's the local communes that have the responsibility for roads in the valley hence they all stop working at the end of their day.

Mind you all depends if it's heavy snow or torrential rain rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 7-03-23 9:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

And an umbrella snowHead
snow report
Quote:

you sure you didn't miss a sign

Definitely had green Ouvert on the ski radonnée sign beside CDB. I forgot my crampons too which made it extremely difficult and slow Shocked

Quote:

Strike today evidently so a number of lifts not running, if you want to skin up then the trail(s) up to Frejus village and beyond would be a good option

Thanks for the tip will check out trails up to Frejus. We took the opportunity to skin up from Prorel midstation today. Patrol were happy to let us skin up the piste
snow report
adithorp wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

And an umbrella snowHead

Usually when people say “better pack a snorkel”, it’s a good thing………..
snow conditions
Not a lot happened overnight/early hours here at 1,400m and temps are zero.

Looking at the Cucumelle webcam not too much up there either and the same for the Lautaret.

A couple of the forecasts now have freezing levels a little lower, especially for Friday but then rising to 2,100 ish Saturday.

So now its a case of "Wait and See" and currently Friday and Saturday do look interesting, to say the least!

The only major issue is getting enough tables for the rugby on Saturday as people keep coming out of the woodwork who never come up for any of the other games rolling eyes

Cam on the terrace now moving around (link below), and if you're lucky you'll spot our new neighbour, a mouse, who has been driving the dogs bonkers Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do I see precipitation happening?!
snow conditions
Quote:

A couple of the forecasts now have freezing levels a little lower, especially for Friday but then rising to 2,100 ish Saturday.

I've noticed that. Dropped from 2800! Fingers crossed that trend continues...
snow report
Sowler wrote:
Do I see precipitation happening?!

Could puke down Toofy Grin
ski holidays
How is the off-piste up at Montgenevre? Might that be a possibility for us arriving on Saturday?
ski holidays
Quote:

the rugby on Saturday

Speaking of, is there anywhere to be recommended in Villeneuve?

I've stopped looking at the forecast
snow conditions
@snowball, think still too early to call, but if you go by the forecast(s) then should be good, though I suspect trees might be the best option.

Currently +4 and raining here now, with puddles on the terrace Sad

Temps did go to +6 and some blue sky as we were walking dogs an hour or so ago, it's grim out there now.
ski holidays
Well pretty depressing - rained a lot and temps were at +2.5 so was hoping for a good coverage up top but does not look too good as from here I can see the Eychauda ridge and on good snow cover you can't see any rocks, same for just below the Gauthier chair, not too much on the roof, and then the Cucumelle webcam shows about 5-8cm on the picnic tables.

We'll go up and take a look.

Friends above La Grave report a similar story, but was windy there as well, they're waiting to see if the lift opens.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, we are on tenterhooks. Arriving in L2A tomorrow night. All looking pretty grim TBH. Do you have any sense of where the rain/snow line got to?
snow report
@gorilla, could be completely different over in L2A.
snow conditions
Yeah, get that but I'm likely to road trip.
ski holidays
Currently stuck on the Crete's drag, probably due to some numpty not concentrating when jumping off half way and letting the cable ping off.

Has been way better than expected, 5-10 on the piste and 10+ off piste with one big slide going off the top of the Gauthier by a skier in front of me!

Pisteur on snowmobile just gone past so hopefully get going soon.
snow report
Hooked up with KenX snow getting a little heavy but still skiing good untracked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy