Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Updates in the morning - but you can the action live on DumpCam Very Happy

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

But we're not expecting too much Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 31-12-22 16:29; edited 23 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh well here we go again rolling eyes

As you can see on the Dump-Cam which I currently have moving around the garden, we've been blessed with all of 2-3cms, enough for the dogs to roll around on the terrace.

Back around 16th November various forecast models were showing large accumulations for last evening and through the early hours for today.

WePowder on their front page announced on the 18th "Chances for a dump in the Southern Alps are rising" but added the caveat "but details are still uncertain".

It was on the 18th that I started to screengrab the forecasts as the basis of an article on how not to trust/get excited about long-term forecasts and as we neared today as the levels dropped dramatically.

So more on that here.

Now as I mention in the Weather Blog there must be a real concern now for the proposed opening weekend, December 3rd.

It was back in 2014 that we had a similar situation, with the snow arriving Xmas Eve and champagne corks flying in the Cocoon when it was then run by the Chef of the ESf here.

Though no doubt the Tourist Office will be pumping out reports of substantial snowfalls on Social Media Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
....It was back in 2014 that we had a similar situation, with the snow arriving Xmas Eve and champagne corks flying in the Cocoon when it was then run by the Chef of the ESf here.....

I just checked my photo archive and indeed it was 2014, however, back then we had snow above 2,000m as you can see from the photo below of The Bivouac Resto, and the Gardiole, centre of the picture which I ski-toured up to having parked the car on the Granon road at the very distinct snow-line.

Then back on the Valley floor, it was all snow-canon snow!

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your updates @Weathercam, We are hoping for enough snow in Serre Che for New Year! It will be our first visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had some snow on and off on Wednesday, we actually have a friend out all this week so have been showing her around, and Wednesday we drove away from the bad weather (low hanging cloud etc) to where it was far sunnier, South of Briancon and Les Fonts valley.

Coming back up the valley to home it was starting to snow and we had a couple of cms overnight, and yesterday we drove up to the Lautaret and there was around 10cm of fresh on the Southern side, enough to tempt some skiers out.

Dogs went crazy and had a great time!

A group of Speed Kiters hiked up but didn't score a decent run between them.

Once back down I took the E-bike up the hill in front of us to just past the start of the Vallons lift below Frejus Village and snow was cica 10cm of fresh enough to force me to turn around, I'm almost tempted to drive up there today and see what the meadows are like and up towards Clot Gauthier.

Even though it's freezing they are not running snow-canon which is really frustrating, no doubt they'll give some greenwashing bollox but the opening weekend is not looking good Evil or Very Mad

At least for our friend, it's her first time in the mountains, conditions are ideal and we're getting nigh on unbroken sunshine when last week the forecast was grim for the week, and looking forward Briancon and Serre Chevalier is living up to it's claim for 300 days of sunshine rolling eyes

Actually was just looking at YR.NO
https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier

for next week and there's currently circa 17cm of snow for Dec 1st which makes sense as I have Orange installing fibre (hopefully) on the morning of the 2nd.

But checking other models and YR are the only ones showing that for the 1st.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 25-11-22 10:27; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:

WePowder on their front page announced on the 18th "Chances for a dump in the Southern Alps are rising" but added the caveat "but details are still uncertain".

WePowder sell the dream. People aren't interested in hearing misery and doom but how there is going to be a mega dump r.s.n.

Wasn't last season a bit shit too? Early days yet but it does tend to make the overall season a bit short when it starts mid December. Even the Lauteret looks a bit sparse, the CAF pensioners will have to wait a bit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serre Chevalier Domaine Skiable announced on their FB yesterday.

Despite all the efforts made by SCV Skiable Domaine for several weeks, conditions are not met to pre-open next weekend, 3-4 Dec
All the teams are continuing to work on the pitch to get the field ready for the season launch on 10 December and bring you quality skiing event.

I messaged them earlier in the week asking why they had not been running the snow-canon on the pistes down into resort.

And they replied saying "it hadn't been cold enough", to which I responded by saying that I live here, and every night for the past ten days it has been below zero, they then said that they were only concentrating on altitude!

I just have a feeling that this season there's going to be a lot more shite such as this, with closed/slow lifts, no pisted pistes etc and a whole load of bollox for excuses, greenwashing as an excuse to not spend and deliver a service to the end consumer.

Their FB page has quite a few people complaining about the steep hike in lift prices and now this.
https://www.facebook.com/serre.chevalier.domaine.skiable

As for the conditions, well we have a cm or two on the terrace this morning and the sparrows are very active,

Have the Webcam cruising around the terrace if you want to see

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're heading your way end of January, @weathercam. Out of interest, how high up are you? I'm already slightly obsessing over the official webcams, but I think they're all 2,000 metres plus, so hard to see how much snow there is (or isn't) in resort.

The last time I was there was February 2020. The snow was pretty decent, from memory (despite a very worrying rain shower as we arrived in Chantemerle) so I'm hoping for similar conditions this time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
The last time I was there was February 2020. The snow was pretty decent, from memory (despite a very worrying rain shower as we arrived in Chantemerle) so I'm hoping for similar conditions this time.
I certainly wouldn't be hoping for worrying rain... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ChrisP71, the webcam on our terrace is at 1,405m.

Apart from the Serre Che "official" webcams another good one is the one located at the Cafe Soleil at Serre Ratier

Again no snow-canon working down in the valley, but you can see them working up at Serre Ratier so looks like they are concentrating everything above that altitude.

Starting to look more unsettled middle of next week onwards, but a tad milder.

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier

Various models in some sort of agreement

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks WeatherCam Cafe Soleil looks more like it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't be hoping for worrying rain... wink

Ha, it wasn't raining yellow snow or anything. I'd just never seen it rain in a ski resort before.

Actually, that's not quite true. I did a season in Courchevel in 2004/2005 and one day in April I think I got rained on while I was out skiing. But it was the first time I'd seen that in peak season. To be fair, it was snowing by the time you got to Ratier and the rest of the week was cold and snowy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ChrisP71, the worst place I've ever been for rain had to be Whistler.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:

Oh really? I've not skied North America at all, but I thought it was supposed to be a powder paradise?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whistler town is only 700m and it’s not that far from the sea.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
Whistler town is only 700m and it’s not that far from the sea.

Ah, okay. I do remember chatting to someone from that part of Canada who was saying they could ski in the morning and swim in the sea in the same afternoon.
snow conditions
But in the rain?! Not so jealous now...
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Toss-up for me between Whistler and Morzine.
snow report
Lovetoski123 wrote:
But in the rain?! Not so jealous now...

Ha. Yeah, in my mind's eye they were swooshing through fresh powder up on a glacier somewhere and then sitting on a sun-drenched beach. But you're right.

To be fair, if you live in Milton Keynes you can go skiing and swimming in the same day.
snow conditions
@ChrisP71, I can do that in Serre Chevalier, as my apartment has a pool.
ski holidays
at least Montgenevre is open for you
snow report
And they've managed that with a season pass at half the price of ours!
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
......Toss-up for me between Whistler and Morzine.....

Beat me to it Laughing

Think we're all forgetting the nigh on two, or was it three days of tumultuous rain last year around the 29th of December that pretty well did us in for the rest of the season, I drove to Lyon to collect the OH and conditions were biblical on the autoroute.

Looking forward, and next week depending on what forecast you look at could be a game changer, unfortunately it's only yr.no that is so optimistic at this stage, but it's not a 6hr glitch as can sometimes happen, there on one run and gone the next.

And still on there this morning Very Happy

snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@ChrisP71, the webcam on our terrace is at 1,405m.

Apart from the Serre Che "official" webcams another good one is the one located at the Cafe Soleil at Serre Ratier

Well that's looking better than I feared. Looks like there is at least some snow right down to resort level, and Ratier looks skiable as it is?
latest report
Anyone know how high is this webcam?
snow report
@Lovetoski123, post above yours states 1,405M ...... Wink
snow conditions
Curious if snow in December makes for a good base for the coming months? Versus the previous years where there's been a dump late October/early November.

Booked for a Serre Chevalier workation from February to April snowHead
ski holidays
@ChrisP71, and others

These are the areas to assess on my webcam to determine snow-cover - that big avalanche barrier next to Club Med is perhaps the best, and the area to the right of that, which is where the XC track is.

We ran up to Monetier today, and they've been busy with the snow-canon up there!

Will post a pic laters.

Also, big Fanfare - we now have broadband, so have upped the resolution
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@ChrisP71, and others

These are the areas to assess on my webcam to determine snow-cover - that big avalanche barrier next to Club Med is perhaps the best, and the area to the right of that, which is where the XC track is.

We ran up to Monetier today, and they've been busy with the snow-canon up there!

Will post a pic laters.

Also, big Fanfare - we now have broadband, so have upped the resolution

Trying to get my bearings. Is the furthest arrow on the left the Luc Alphand?
ski holidays
@ChrisP71, we're located on the South Side of La Salle, Villeneuve so we look straight up towards Frejus sector where the Vallons & Cote Chevalier lifts are wth the Casse Du Boeuf piste and chair, lookers left.

snow conditions
@weathercam Ah, right. I'm with you.

On a random note, I Googled the piste map to remind myself where everything was. Is there a new red from Ratier down to Chantemerle that wasn't there a couple of years ago or am I mis-reading the map? Can't make out the name.
latest report
@ChrisP71, not sure where you got that piste map, there isn't a red back to Chantemerle, hasn't been since we've been here (8th winter now), also it's not showing the zip wire descent which has been on there for 2 years now and the Rocher Blanc chair in the Briancon sector is still in its old location from 4 years back,so I think the map is well out of date.......
snow conditions
And no Vallons lift, so must be ancient!
ski holidays
@KenX, Foret drag lifts are still there too. I'm thinking early Millenium.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, but which millenium? Laughing
latest report
@ChrisP71, check this out

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/domaine-skiable/plan-pistes-interactif
snow report
KenX wrote:
@ChrisP71, not sure where you got that piste map, there isn't a red back to Chantemerle, hasn't been since we've been here (8th winter now), also it's not showing the zip wire descent which has been on there for 2 years now and the Rocher Blanc chair in the Briancon sector is still in its old location from 4 years back,so I think the map is well out of date.......

I thought that might be the case, but it was literally the first one that came up on Google.

I quite liked the idea of something easier than the black but more interesting than the green for coming back to Chantemerle at the end of a long day. Very Happy
ski holidays
@ChrisP71, Downloading on the gondola is more interesting than the green Laughing
ski holidays
Sssssshhh but would seem that various models are gradually agreeing that we might see more than a few cms come Sunday and on into next week Very Happy
snow conditions
I don't know SC at all, and I'm coming for most of January. Hope the snow will be awesome. On the red run into Chantemerle, its marked on https://www.serrechevalier.com/skiing/piste-maps.aspx. It's also marked in the 1994 Good Ski Guide, with snowcannon coverage, no less!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy