Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyjet Cancellations

Poster: A snowHead
<salt>
EJ cancelling flights is just a symptom not the cause of the issue.
The issue is people from the provincial wilderness wanting to go on fancy winter sports holidays.
This has been the reserve of the metropolitan elite for decades now.
There were attempts from the mid 80's until 2016 to democratise the winter sports market and make it more accessible, but by cunningly removing the UK from the free trade and employment model in European areas where skiing takes place, they have taken back control of the winter holiday scene.
Fly on Swiss or BA from LHR and if your GVA flight gets canned, theres another in an hour or so.
Anecdotally, Mrs WoC used to use The Orange travel disruptor (against my advice) for trips down to the badlands of the south west via Bristol (not actually in Bristol ) Airport. But after several cancellations and on one occasion re-routing to Lyon, has seen the error of her ways ( not quite as she still has the urge to go to Bristol) and now flies to LHR and completes the Journey by train.
You have to ask yourself what kind of transport service is being offered by EJ, when you find GWR to be more reliable solution?

If you can't afford to use a proper airline, are expensive winter sports holidays really for you ?
Smile
</salt>
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WindOfChange, Slightly harsh, but I see where you are coming from. There does seem to be a slight 'entitlement to convenient cheap flights to the ski destination of my choice' theme going on here. IMO flying is a privilege not a right; it's a small minority of the worlds population who fly each year, and it's everyone who suffers the consequences. And yes, I fly too, but I'm trying to reduce my reliance as much as possible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WindOfChange wrote:

Bristol (not actually in Bristol ) Airport.

How close does it need to be to qualify? It's been a while since I flew from my local airport, but in the past we've managed to be at home in Bristol, kettle on, about half an hour after landing. Not typical, I'm sure, but it is only 8 miles from the centre of Bristol.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
caughtanedge wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

Bristol (not actually in Bristol ) Airport.

How close does it need to be to qualify? It's been a while since I flew from my local airport, but in the past we've managed to be at home in Bristol, kettle on, about half an hour after landing. Not typical, I'm sure, but it is only 8 miles from the centre of Bristol.

Heathrow, and Gatwick aren't in London either.
I bet it takes less time to get to the centre of Bristol from the airport than it does to do similar from the London airports. Laughing

Bournemouth is my nearest, and that's 25 miles away. we've been at home within an hour of the plane touching down a number of times. At LHR and LGW you have probably only just picked up your bags by then!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JDL65, same for us. Just wish we had a few more route options. We constrainted out December trip to Geneva so that we could use Bournemouth. April having to use Heathrow
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange,
Very good Laughing

Fortunately for provincial numpties like me, the benefits of living outside of the south east far outweigh the inconvenience of limited flight choice for 4 or 5 winter trips per year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/nXlBESlGFPE
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JDL65 wrote:

I bet it takes less time to get to the centre of Bristol from the airport than it does to do similar from the London airports. Laughing

They now call Southend "London" so not long before you are flying from London Bristol Airport rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garfy1971, the airport a couple of miles from me in North Oxfordshire was rebranded a few years ago as “London Oxford Airport”. It’s an hour to Paddington or Marylebone by train Laughing

There is talk locally of runway extension and one carrier doing schedules flight to GVA which would give another middle of England option. It would be bl00dy handy for me. If I was minded to, I could just about walk to the airport with all my luggage from my front door.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was on holiday in Malaga using Tui out and EZY back and the cost of a ski holiday is less. EG BA flights and the PreBB has ski pass included. Same for the EOSB.

Ski holidays don't need to be expensive. Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
garfy1971 wrote:
JDL65 wrote:

They now call Southend "London" so not long before you are flying from London Bristol Airport rolling eyes

Basel airport isn't even in Switzerland Laughing
I don't even know where to begin with 'leeds bradford airport'
I also bet Robin Hood airport must confuse a lot of people thinking it is in Nottingham.....
A cheap flight to Barcelona will probably land you 50 miles away in Reus!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Heathrow is actually (just) within the Greater London boundary, so along with City airport it is a true London airport.

Gatwick is way outside of course, but can actually be more convenient than Heathrow since, unless you want to fork out for the really expensive Heathrow express, the next fastest option, the purple train (Elizabeth line), takes 35 mins to Paddington, same as a southern train takes to go from Gatwick to Victoria. So if you live/are going to anywhere on the southern or thameslink lines, Gatwick is more convenient even if Heathrow is closer. And because of the Heathrow rail tunnel surcharge, it is cheaper to get from central London to Gatwick than to Heathrow by mainline train (£9 to Gatwick vs £12.80 to Heathrow if you use oyster/contactless and are going at off peak times), the piccadilly line to Heathrow is cheaper at £5.50, but is so slow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
London City airport is the only London airport as it has a London postcode, but none of the others, even Heathrow, are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gored, Robin Hood was a Sheffield boy. - Robin of Loxley, a river running through Sheffield. Sherwood Forest runs from East of Sheffield down to Nottingham. Robin Hood just didn’t get on with the Sherriff. He also supported Wednesday and not Forest Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a call from my brother so asked him about this, as he works for Easyjet on flight schedules. Basically it comes down to economics - things are by no means back to normal following Covid and cost of living is also having a considerable effect on bookings. So if there are two flights on a route and one has, say, 40 bookings and the other has 110, they'll consolidate and combine them. Bear in mind also that take-off/landing slots need to be booked by the airline long in advance, so there has to be a cut-off point in making these decisions - they're not allowed to book slots and then not use them. Not much consolation for those affected, especially when they don't get offered a suitable alternative, but he says the vast majority (circa 90%) do get a flight on the same day to the same destination, though may be several hours later.
snow report
Quote:
So if there are two flights on a route and one has, say, 40 bookings and the other has 110, they'll consolidate and combine them.
Two flights on the same day?? Laughing My cancelled return flight on a Wednesday is one of only two a week (Wed and Sat) from Newcastle to Geneva (and back) rolling eyes
Quote:
the vast majority (circa 90%) do get a flight on the same day to the same destination, though may be several hours later.
In the famous words of UB40: 'I am a one in ten...' Confused

Couldn't ask your bro if easyjet are aware (as alleged on here) of their rebooking requirements - but just ignore them - could you? wink
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@WindOfChange,
Very good Laughing

Fortunately for provincial numpties like me, the benefits of living outside of the south east far outweigh the inconvenience of limited flight choice for 4 or 5 winter trips per year.

Steady on, Peaky B...

I'm often disappointed that (living in County Durham) we outdoor enthusiasts have only 4 English national parks accessible within a 2 1/4 hour drive, plus Snowdonia if we choose to drive an extra 90 minutes. And not forgetting the East Durham Coast (5 minutes), the Scottish Borders (less than 2 hours) and the Scottish Highlands (4.5 hours drive if we fancy a bit of skiing). rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
@Gored, Robin Hood was a Sheffield boy. - Robin of Loxley, a river running through Sheffield. Sherwood Forest runs from East of Sheffield down to Nottingham.Very Happy

Unfortunately, Robin Hood Airport, or Sheffield Doncaster Airport, as it is actually called, is closing down, despite it being voted UK's best airport three years running. It was a great airport but ski flights were rare as hens' teeth so I rarely used it.
snow report
@maggi, neither did I I’m afraid, but I’m a Sheffielder, who has lived in Liverpool for over 40 years. Still sad to see a smaller airport go as John Lennon is very good, and a 10 minute taxi ride away.
ski holidays
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my flight from BHX to GVA on Monday lunchtime was cancelled at 4 that morning due to "exceptional circumstances".

I didn't travel and finally rearranged my flights for mid-March on Thursday evening. As it was quite late, I still got notifications for the return flight on Friday evening via the app.

Got a strange one at 8 in the morning, over 8 hours before departure, stating that it was delayed.

I then got another less than an hour before scheduled departure saying it was cancelled. Obviously don't have any more info as I wasn't actually still booked on it.

Personally relieved I didn't rush around and try to still get out there, but feel very sorry for anyone who did if they were planning the same times as me.

Definitely worth double-checking your travel insurance cover (as I didn't) though. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come this winter though.
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, Easyjet have clearly lost the plot on this one then. Just as it was beginning to look as if they were getting their act together again at last rolling eyes
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
And yet you still choose to use them....
Is that for me? Why I use BA is if there is an issue then there is normally a flight earlier or later that day or they can put me on a partner airline. With low cost carriers the next flight is often two days later so you end up stuffed.

I thought the regulation was if they cancel they have to rebook/reimburse you for a flight to get you there as soon after your planned arrival as possible, whichever carrier that is? On the low-cost ones you may have to book yourself and claim it, but the rule’s the same, isn’t it?

My Feb flights to Munich were cancelled and I declined EJs extremely helpful offer of a reroute to Berlin! I requested that EJ rebook me on the equivalent Lufthansa and eventually they relented, but it did take two weeks of daily emails for them to agree. I accepted the offer of me booking the rerouting and claiming the cost back, and though it took 4 weeks for the payment to arrive it has now been settled.

It was a tortuous experience and one designed to make you lose the will to live.
ski holidays
wickyb,

Given your knowledge/experience... is the OP entitled to claim compensation for additional costs incurred in travelling (further) to Manchester, versus his original departure point of Newcastle? Puzzled
ski holidays
Sorry, unsure, but I found this document useful in navigating the regulations:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Re-routing%20Guidance%20(CAP2155).pdf
snow report
Actually section 6.8 in that appears relevant to you.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
wickyb,

Given your knowledge/experience... is the OP entitled to claim compensation for additional costs incurred in travelling (further) to Manchester, versus his original departure point of Newcastle? Puzzled
When EJ cancelled my flight to Milan from Luton, I rebooked on Ryan the same day, from Stansted. They reimbursed the extra cost of the alternative flight and also my taxi to Stansted. (Arguably, they could have reduced the taxi claim to the extra cost compared with the cost of the taxi I would have incurred for the shorter journey to Luton. But they paid the lot.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy