Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So you are doing a season? A few tips.

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, ....says the Dutch person looking out of the taxi drivers window in downtown Zurich, who every time anyone offers to meet him for a ski in St Anton to find out if he is real says he's too busy, ie not there, and certainly not "tearing it up"......or am I missing something? wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
he's just a troll nothing else. He doesn't even debate things. Just dislikes Brits. He is entitled to his view but I don't have to listen to him.
WHich is why I have him on ignore
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KNoceros wrote:

Ibuprofen can be difficult to obtain in some countries. It’s worth taking plenty with you.

Ibuprofen is readily available in pharmacies in all of the Alpine nations. The only 'difficulty' is that you can't buy it in a supermarket or corner shop; same for many other OTC medications, mostly only available in pharmacies. And pack sizes may be smaller, leading to higher prices. Then again, it seems like the UK has moved in that direction in recent years as well. Gone are the days when you could buy 100 Ibuprofen or 50 paracetamol in a bottle at the Boots chemist counter.

Thankfully I have other sources, bottles of 500 or even 1000 tablets easily sourced in the US, at a fraction of the Swiss (or French) price.

But yeah, if you're a regular user of any OTC products it's worth checking out their relative price at your destination and ensuring you have adequate supplies with you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JDL65,
Quote:

terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65, silver ski

When did you work for Len?
I worked for him in Meribel from 1990-1993, and worked on the build of the Bon Coin in La Plagne in the summer of 1991

i worked for Len in Meribel for the seasons of of 95/96 and 96/97 then went back 98/99 for the second half of the season.

my interview with him consisted of about 90 mins of talking about WW2 (for the life of me i cannot remember how we got on the subject!!) then 15 mins discussing my duties as a maintenance man/driver.

my first week in the alps for them was spent in La Plagne carrying out the Electrical installation in the Nannies new accommodation, then had to go over a couple of times to do some work at bon coin, including installing a new air handling unit on the roof after a large dump of snow (i froze my preverbials off Smile )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JDL65, what chalet (if any) were you based in?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LittleBullet wrote:
If you're older and have a career job:

Find company flexible enough, i.e. not monster corporate, that "let you" not turn up to the office unquestioned for a few months.

Sort out VPN using your home IP.

Rent your place out on airbnb.

Sunrise tour before first zoom meeting, religiously. every f**king day. Squeeze laps at lunch.

Beers or spa at night.

Ski and ski,-tour every weekend and annual leave.

Get friendly with locals/ski school, for weekend buddies.

Be close enough to a major airport to pop back in case called for important meeting.

My company, in their wisdom, have now banned anyone taking their laptops abroad and have installed some sort of location tracker thing on the laptops (apparently). I think they did this after I had a meeting with the FD on my holiday to the Dordogne that I extended because of quarantine rules. She was supposed to be in the Bahamas at the time but it was cancelled because of covid.

I’d love to be able to fool the system into thinking I was still in Oxford but I’m not anywhere near tech savvy enough
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check that the insurance you are provided with/buy covers what you will get up to on the slopes eg off-piste (with or without a qualified guide), snowpark.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65,
Quote:

terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65, silver ski

When did you work for Len?
I worked for him in Meribel from 1990-1993, and worked on the build of the Bon Coin in La Plagne in the summer of 1991

i worked for Len in Meribel for the seasons of of 95/96 and 96/97 then went back 98/99 for the second half of the season.

my interview with him consisted of about 90 mins of talking about WW2 (for the life of me i cannot remember how we got on the subject!!) then 15 mins discussing my duties as a maintenance man/driver.

my first week in the alps for them was spent in La Plagne carrying out the Electrical installation in the Nannies new accommodation, then had to go over a couple of times to do some work at bon coin, including installing a new air handling unit on the roof after a large dump of snow (i froze my preverbials off Smile )

Did you work with Alison Tovey? Her mum was a neighbour of my parent's and she was at the girls school in our town.

My first season was in Village at Chalet Sam, as ski guide and transfer bod.
Second was in Chalet Maurice, next to the primary school, and assistant resort manager covering village.
Third was again assistant resort manager, but lived in an apartment opposite the Morel chair.

then spend 2 seasons working for Ski Out of the Blue
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65, what chalet (if any) were you based in?

I guess you'd have met Bev & Steve (I worked on the Bon Coin with them) in La Plagne.
And obvious Brian and Pauline (with her white gloves!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JDL65, the name Alison Tovey rings a bell, was she known as "Ali" for short and a resort manager 97/98-98/99?

yes, i knew Bev and Steve, as i had to go over to La Plagne from time to time, and Brian and Pauline quite well as they were my direct bosses more than the La Plagne management.
i thought it was Len's ex-wife (cannot remember her name?) that wielded the feared white gloves?

i didn't know chalet Maurice, but i was in chalet Isba that was also next door to the primary school, i wonder if it was the same one but re-named?

ah chalet Sam, what memories!!
Bridget Bardot's residence when she skied in Meribel

it was the one chalet that i carried out most of my maintenance jobs there, as you would know, it was a bit "tired".
i have a poster sized picture of me doing my best dick van dyke impression, after repairing the flue in the fireplace chimney, i am sitting on the fireplace in overalls covered from head to toe in soot.

but more importantly, each of my girlfriends from my first two seasons worked in chalet Sam.
and many a raucous pre and post season staff party was held there.

were you still in Meribel for "ski out of the blue" seasons 95-96/96-97?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65, the name Alison Tovey rings a bell, was she known as "Ali" for short and a resort manager 97/98-98/99?

yes, i knew Bev and Steve, as i had to go over to La Plagne from time to time, and Brian and Pauline quite well as they were my direct bosses more than the La Plagne management.
i thought it was Len's ex-wife (cannot remember her name?) that wielded the feared white gloves?

i didn't know chalet Maurice, but i was in chalet Isba that was also next door to the primary school, i wonder if it was the same one but re-named?

ah chalet Sam, what memories!!
Bridget Bardot's residence when she skied in Meribel

it was the one chalet that i carried out most of my maintenance jobs there, as you would know, it was a bit "tired".
i have a poster sized picture of me doing my best dick van dyke impression, after repairing the flue in the fireplace chimney, i am sitting on the fireplace in overalls covered from head to toe in soot.

but more importantly, each of my girlfriends from my first two seasons worked in chalet Sam.
and many a raucous pre and post season staff party was held there.

were you still in Meribel for "ski out of the blue" seasons 95-96/96-97?

Ali was indeed a resort manager in Meribel.
Isba is on the main road into town. Maurice was on the lane up past the primary school, the road that led to Meriski's Chalet Mira Bellum. A load of us lived in one the garages there! Others in the rooms in the basement.

Bet you spend a few hours unblocking the vacuum system in Sam! I lived in the basement that first season and Len lived in the cupboard in the entrance hall! All he ate all season was chicken, no sauce, probably no veg either! We had his son Andy 'Hi Ho' silver in resort - ealry boarder, and a wild child! Speedway rider like his dad. Sam was always where we headed first at the start of the season and opened up all the other chalets from there. Don't think Sam exists any more - I tried to find it in the summer without success but the layout of Village has changed massively since the lift went in. Staying in Village at the end of Jan though!

My last season was 94/95.

Happy days!

Len's ex ran the office in Meribel, Hazel was her name, but she rarely was in resort. Deffo Pauline doing the lightbulb inspections with her gloves!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if it is the same "ali", she was great, have some pictures of us all going on a last shred on the day most of us left resort that season, it was an epic season for snow that year

i was told about Len sleeping in the entrance cupboard, i thought that was an urban myth Toofy Grin

Hazel, thats the one, everyone was scared of her

his son andy bunked in my room for a few days during my last season, he was out trying to market some type of snow bike he had developed to local ski hire shops, i don't think he got anywhere with it!

chalet Sam has definitely gone, i think it was re-developed about 15 years ago, or could be more.
as you say, Village is unrecognisable now.

i loved my time in Meribel, and with Silver-ski, i know they were not everyone's cup of tea, but i am forever grateful that Len took a punt with me where i doubt the likes of Meriski and ski-scott-dunn would have given a "south london oik" a chance
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deffo the same Ali.
Was a great company and very good at doing what it did. We always were the top sellers of lift passes amongst the TOs, and were one of a tiny handful allowed to put the photos into the lift passes. We barely had an empty bed in the seasons I worked.
His Sunday times ad started 'ABC' so was always first or second add - smart marketing.

The wine was shite though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes, the wine could strip paint, but the guests seemed to like it after it had been de-canted from the huge plastic boxes into carafe's

not sure the cooks/chefs ever used it for cooking Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

though i must admit i had got pished on it a few times at the start of my time, but soon moved on to drink the beer from the honesty bar that we ran.

also, it was mostly full occupancy most weeks in resort for us as well, and lots of returning guests, so that says a lot about their operation
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
terrygasson wrote:
yes, the wine could strip paint, but the guests seemed to like it after it had been de-canted from the huge plastic boxes into carafe's

not sure the cooks/chefs ever used it for cooking Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

though i must admit i had got pished on it a few times at the start of my time, but soon moved on to drink the beer from the honesty bar that we ran.

also, it was mostly full occupancy most weeks in resort for us as well, and lots of returning guests, so that says a lot about their operation

Must say, even though I have no idea who any of the characters in these stories are, it's nice to read and took me back to my seasons. Why on earth did I decide to move back to England for a 'real job'!
snow report
pam w wrote:
I interviewed quite a few people who'd done seasons at the Civil Service Selection Boards and the good ones had learnt a lot (sometimes by trial and error) about being part of a team under pressure.

I know the Civil Service process is pretty horrific, but hadn't realised that it lasts a whole season!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy