Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So you are doing a season? A few tips.

Poster: A snowHead
Please keep them practical, and try not to scare them too much. Toofy Grin

If driving out make sure the vehicle is prepped up for cold and snow.

Don’t expect to be skiing from day one (except ski bums).

If in private rented accommodation (as opposed to employer provided) be sure you know what is included in the rent, especially regarding bills and linen provision.

If you have them, use an old pair of skis/snowboard early season, especially off-piste, Rocks!

Kit - if gaffa tape can’t fix it, it’s knackered.

Look out for & use any free courses the ski schools provide for seasonnaires.

Learn the names of:-
(1) Flatmates
(2) Co-workers
(3) Bar staff (vitally important)
(4) Permanent Brit seasonnaires and any returning seasonnaires
(5) First time seasonnaires

If you don’t have a washing machine in your accommodation, or don’t get your laundry done via work, find out where the laundries are & how they operate well before you need them.

Find out what else is included on your lift pass – free/discounted days in other resorts, sports facilities in resort etc.

A season is not as long as you think (especially in low resorts). Make the most of it.

On bad weather days try to get above the weather, and if that doesn’t work, get in amongst the trees.

Sort your phone Sim out before being hit with large roaming costs.

For first time seasonnaires there are three main ways you’ll be home before or just into the New Year:-
(1) Hacked. The jobs can be tough, and you may find a season is not for you.
(2) Wacked. You are not as good a skier/snowboarder as you think you are (live with it! But this may have changed by Easter). A combination of pent up desire to hit the mountains together with an over-estimation of ability leads to injuries. This can frequently happen on the first time you get up the mountain, especially if the issuing of lift passes is ‘delayed’.
(3) Sacked. You are not going on a 4 to 5 month paid skiing holiday. By the end of the New Year week tour operator resort reps will have a good idea who has the wrong attitude/can’t do the job/they don’t like, and will be in contact with HQ over who is available on the reserve list.

A chalet cooking course at 1200m is not going to prepare you for cooking above 1600m.

The air can be dry and cold. Keep hydrated, and have something to ease your throat with you.

You WILL get ill, even if it is only a hacking cough or a cold – both nasty at altitude.

Don’t get involves in the local politics/feuds.

Unless you have a high pressure area sitting over the ski area, giving settled conditions, the weather forecast is only good for 48 hours.

If working for a tour operator don’t despair - the toughest three weeks are at the start of the season. Your first with guests, Christmas week and New Year week. Your training week will NOT prepare you for this. If you survive the New Year massacre you are odds on to complete the season.

You’ll (hopefully) spend a lot of time digging snow.

Any loose ski/snowboard that runs into deep powder without a powder trace on is likely lost until the post season meltback of the snowpack.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kenzie, many uk based folks doing seasons these days? Not as many as before I guess (visas) ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carte neige/Carre neige (or whatever it's called these days) cover for the Season.

Make friends with someone who has access to a washing machine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have a bf/gf, you might want to review that before you leave.
Some people come initially thinking that they can find casual work or accommodation for their partner.
This never happens (especially hard now that work visas are required and accommodation is in very limited supply).
Normally employer-supplied accommodation is just for the employee, not members of their entourage. If your partner comes and stays for more than a week your accommodation sharing colleagues will hate you (both) even if they smile to your face.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

you might want to review that before you leave

Equally if you leave them behind. Distant relationships don't work. You will be cheated upon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:

What does this look like in a practical sense? Driving over most likely at Christmas and for a month in April for the first time.

I'm buying a set of steels which i'll stick winter tyres on. Beyond that, is there other things I need to consider?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

What does this look like in a practical sense? Driving over most likely at Christmas and for a month in April for the first time.

I'm buying a set of steels which i'll stick winter tyres on. Beyond that, is there other things I need to consider?

What temperature your fluids are good for.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

you might want to review that before you leave

Equally if you leave them behind. Distant relationships don't work. You will be cheated upon.

I was employing litotes with the usage of the word 'review'.
Obviously I meant "Dump your existing partner at or before your going away party"
Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-11-22 14:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kenzie wrote:

We still talking about relationships here ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Kenzie, many uk based folks doing seasons these days? Not as many as before I guess (visas) ...

More than last season as more UK TOs have been willing to recruit Brit passport holders despite the additional red tape.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WindOfChange wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

We still talking about relationships here ?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pack lots of condoms and use them. Take that whichever way you like to.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, If you have a diesel, consider timing your refuelling so that you get a tank of winterised fuel when you reach the Alps. I either fill up in Albertville or at the Super U in Bourg st M.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What’s the ratio of female to male amongst seasonnaires? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try to avoid getting too much into the local recreational drugs party scene.

I've seen this happen to people and they end up getting in zero skiing/snowboarding.

Equally remember your off days/late work shifts are for getting up the hill NOT sleeping off hangovers.

If you're a ski bum remember that your job is now skiing. You should be making the workers jealous with the amount of time you are getting in not the amount of Netflix you have watched.

There will be days when the above advice seems like a crock of poo-poo, some of those days can turn out to be lifetime bests when the terrible weather suddenly breaks and you are in an elite small number getting freshies while your peers mope in resort. Other days the joke will be on you and you'll have suffered needlessly and miserably.
snow conditions
Ryunis wrote:
Pack lots of condoms and use them. Take that whichever way you like to.

Never know when you get lost off piste and they may come in handy NehNeh NehNeh

http://youtube.com/v/z5fHx3bMavo
latest report
Quote:

Chains. And a shovel. And loads of screen wash. If car parked outside, be aware of sticking doors. And if you have a mechanical handbrake, don't use it if there's snow around on the road - leave the car in gear instead. And have a great time - I interviewed quite a few people who'd done seasons at the Civil Service Selection Boards and the good ones had learnt a lot (sometimes by trial and error) about being part of a team under pressure.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

It ain't nicknamed St mAnton for nowt!
ski holidays
Mmm
The only season I did was with wife and kids, can't say we got into the seasonnaire social or drug scene.
Quite a few years ago now.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:

Presumably why the poster re condoms was recommending flexibility with the way you took it?
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:

Presumably why the poster re condoms was recommending flexibility with the way you took it?

Let's not get judgemental.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:

When I was young enough to bum a season I reckon it was up there in the 2 female to 8 male range. My last house housed 16, with only 2 girls. And one of those left early.
Although TBH when you're sharing a room with 3 other stinking males you soon realise that its not just the odds that are against you.
Still wouldnt change it for the world. Best days of my life. Wouldnt be half the skier / boarder I am now without it.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Mmm
The only season I did was with wife and kids, can't say we got into the seasonnaire social or drug scene.

There's always time
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, at that age it was better to ski off hangovers (when they actually happened).
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Mmm

There's always time

Not sure if that was for the drugs or the skiing Laughing
Sadly I don't think my knees would be good for a season of the latter nor my constitution for a night of the former.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:

Let's not get judgemental.

Not judging. I ski a pair of women's skis on occasion #shewhenIski.
ski holidays
- If you don’t have a washing machine take more socks, underwear and thermals than you think you need.
- Take a few adapters and some 4-gang plug sockets.
- If you’re out there to work, knuckle down in the first couple of weeks and resist the temptation to get so drunk in the evening that you can’t work the next day. Induction and training weeks are designed to let you get drunk and see if you can get up for work and do your job the next day. I’ve genuinely seen people sent home after one day because they couldn’t get in line with this and overslept.
- Not sure how relevant it is these days with good Wi-Fi being much more readily available, but in 2010 at my apartment it was very slow, streaming wasn’t really viable. Download plenty of music, films, books etc before going.
- Go somewhere cheap like Decathlon and stock up on spare gloves, hats etc., buying replacements in resort is expensive.
- If you can, take a car. It’s a great way to get to the big supermarkets for a cheap shop, get out of resort on a day off, get across to other nearby resorts etc.
- Make sure you’re fully covered with travel insurance.
latest report
+1 for the multi plug comment above (rapid you get one with multi USB sockets too) - then you have loads of sockets and only need 1 euro adapter.

Ibuprofen can be difficult to obtain in some countries. It’s worth taking plenty with you.
Ditto decent tea.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:

When I did mine there were plenty of girls - nannies and chalet staff tended to be female.
Blush
latest report
Has no one said make friends with a ski tech yet?
latest report
@jedster, likewise, I think my first season was something like 120 girls to 16 blokes ...
snow report
If you're older and have a career job:

Find company flexible enough, i.e. not monster corporate, that "let you" not turn up to the office unquestioned for a few months.

Sort out VPN using your home IP.

Rent your place out on airbnb.

Sunrise tour before first zoom meeting, religiously. every f**king day. Squeeze laps at lunch.

Beers or spa at night.

Ski and ski,-tour every weekend and annual leave.

Get friendly with locals/ski school, for weekend buddies.

Be close enough to a major airport to pop back in case called for important meeting.
ski holidays
@jedster, @under a new name,

same here, my first season i was the only single male amongst mainly married couples or single females in the company i worked for in meribel.

2nd and third season, there was a few more single males, but i was still the only one who had my own room, as the maintenance man/driver, i was deemed as management and paid accordingly.

i still believe that was the attraction to the females not my sharp wit Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

on another note, how things have changed after 25 years, T'internet/mobile phones/digital music/netflix!!!
when i did my seasons, it was CD players for music and the only TV i watched was the occasional footie match or the 5/6 nations rugby in a bar.
snow conditions
also, depending on your accommodation, check what bedding is supplied.

the company i worked for forgot to mention to new employees that duvets pillows etc was not supplied, several people, including myself, had arrived in resort without any, and many then made urgent calls home for relatives to send bedding out to resort. obviously, because it would have been pre-season it was easy to use guests bedding until their own arrived/or urgently purchased from Albertville.

i was lucky, as one of the manageress's took pity in me and found some spare bedding for me to use for the season.

i suppose the good thing about the use of the possibility of joining WhatsApp groups nowadays for any prospective seasonaires, is you can ask these questions beforehand
snow report
terrygasson wrote:
@jedster, @under a new name,

same here, my first season i was the only single male amongst mainly married couples or single females in the company i worked for in meribel.

2nd and third season, there was a few more single males, but i was still the only one who had my own room, as the maintenance man/driver, i was deemed as management and paid accordingly.

i still believe that was the attraction to the females not my sharp wit Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

on another note, how things have changed after 25 years, T'internet/mobile phones/digital music/netflix!!!
when i did my seasons, it was CD players for music and the only TV i watched was the occasional footie match or the 5/6 nations rugby in a bar.

Silver Ski by any chance?
Or Snowtime?
snow conditions
@JDL65, silver ski
latest report
Quote:

My son and his then GF (now wife) used to take the ski techs over the road the spare cake from the chalet they were running, and tried to actually talk to them in french. Both gestures were appreciated, and their skis were well looked after all season.
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
@JDL65, silver ski

When did you work for Len?
I worked for him in Meribel from 1990-1993, and worked on the build of the Bon Coin in La Plagne in the summer of 1991
ski holidays
karin wrote:
Quote:

My son and his then GF (now wife) used to take the ski techs over the road the spare cake from the chalet they were running, and tried to actually talk to them in french. Both gestures were appreciated, and their skis were well looked after all season.

Nice work!
There was a Mark Warner chalet hotel when I worked my season and they had their own ski hire department staffed by Brits. Think those guys didn't have to pay for many drinks Very Happy
ski holidays
Forget all the BS above ..

Just get out there and tear it up everyday of the season..for 40 yrs

Ive skied with the guy in Telluride the original skibum Captain Jack (RIP)

http://youtube.com/v/5LjAkkG-stU
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy