Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Tyres / Chains

Poster: A snowHead
What are the rules regardfing snow tyres and chains if driving to Flaine?
Are chains still required to be fitted is snow tyres are on the car?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LDM68, Welcome to snowHeads.
Have a read of this thread about the new 'chains' law in France

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161369
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Are chains still required to be fitted is snow tyres are on the car?

The answer to that very specific question is that regardless of the law there are times when the police will require you to fit chains - when it's very busy, and very snowy. And they won't want a long conversation about it.

You might also decide yourself that you need to fit chains, when your winter tyres, splendid as they undoubtedly are, lose traction in particularly difficult conditions.

And welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I drove up (and back down) to Flaine last season in heavy snow. I managed it with all season tyres and no chains, but it was very treacherous and I'd say you should always carry chains in case. They only cost £30 on Amazon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - to be honest I was already assuming that to have the extra ability that chains might give would be useful etc.

Thanks for the welcome, although not strictly new but seem to have forgotten my old password and no longer have access to email that I assume is connected to it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, welcome back then.... Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fun fact: the road to Flaine goes via the 1,849m Col de la Pierre Carrée, which is the highest pass in the north French Alps open all year:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/3562-col-de-la-pierre-carr%C3%A9e.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winter Tyres and carry chains. simple.
oh - and know how to fit them!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDM68 wrote:
Thanks - to be honest I was already assuming that to have the extra ability that chains might give would be useful etc.

Definitely wise as mosrly it's cleared but certainly much easier if you can look after yourself in extreme circumstances of weather.

Maybe helpful, no fuel available in Flaine (couldn't find supply in Les Carroz either, perhaps not looking in the right place but did seek local advice in LC village too) make sure you fill on further approaches to avoid running low.

Great area, have some very memorable skiing there over the years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HilbertSpace wrote:
Fun fact: the road to Flaine goes via the 1,849m Col de la Pierre Carrée, which is the highest pass in the north French Alps open all year:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/3562-col-de-la-pierre-carr%C3%A9e.html

Didn't realise that, when first visited was aware that you drop into Flaine centre. Have also ventured up to the high point, parked and walked out across the plateau there, it's where the service cable lift from valley floor was sited I believe to facilitate building the ski station. Great views all around from there too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski3 wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:

Didn't realise that, when first visited was aware that you drop into Flaine centre.

That descent is actually the most dodgy part of the drive. I recall probably the first time driving there in snowy conditions, in a 4x4 Volvo estate, but without snow tyres, making it all the way to the high point, then doing a brake test before starting the descent. Nope, I was not going to try to get down without fitting chains - 4WD makes no difference to braking performance.

In poor conditions the parking at the Molliets lift at around 1500m is a favourite, and IMO very sensible, spot for the Gendarmes to pull you over and make you fit chains, before the highest section starts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

two years ago….
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it is really snowy you will be so pleased you had your chains with you.
Drove up to Les Carroz once in 30 - 35cms. Police were at the bottom instructing us all to "chain - up" as Pam has mentioned, they don't want a dialogue on the subject.....just compliance.
The main issue on our ascent was the scatter of abandoned vehicles all over the place. Once this happens the snow ploughs can't operate effectively
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi I’m new to Snowheads & I’m driving to GM in early Feb 23, I have all weather tyres (not full on winter tyres), I’ve never been to this part before. Would I right to assume the main roads will generally be clear ( Calais to Samoens)?

I hoping not to use the car...but may do an away day - any suggestion on away days for intermediate to good skiers.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing Pants wrote:
Hi I’m new to Snowheads & I’m driving to GM in early Feb 23, I have all weather tyres (not full on winter tyres), I’ve never been to this part before. Would I right to assume the main roads will generally be clear ( Calais to Samoens)?

The road up to Samoens is easier than Flaine.

Skiing Pants wrote:
I hoping not to use the car...but may do an away day - any suggestion on away days for intermediate to good skiers.

You could drive to Les Gets or somewhere else in the PDS like Ardent parking, but you'll have to pay for a new pass. And anyway there should be enough to keep you occupied in the GM.

Do drive up the valley to Sixt, not necessarily for the skiing but just to look around. Stop at the Gorges des Tines on the way.
ski holidays
Even in good clear weather, you may still need your chains to get out of where you're parked if it's at the bottom of a steep slope. If it's snowed heavily the night before, and/or you're trying to get up a slope that's turned icy overnight, or where the surface snow has got compressed by other vehicles, you may need them even with winter tyres.

I've often seen visitors to our village having big problems getting out of quite short slopes out of their chalet or apartment, even 'though the weather has been fine on the day. It's usually that the drive out has accumulated snow during the week, or it's been cold overnight and the thawing snow has iced-over.
snow conditions
Thanks all. Really appreciate the information....best practice putting them on Eh oh!
ski holidays
Always worth checking whether your chains need to be adjusted to fit your specific size. Some chain sets come set to the smallest wheel size they fit, and you're expected to take pliers to the links to move them so they fit the larger sizes. With mine, I had to move three pairs of links through 90° so the circumference was enlarged. Not something you want to be doing up a mountain in the dark, cold and snow. I did all the fitting on the spare tyre first, as it's much easier, and you can see how everything is meant to sit on the tyre when it's fixed properly.
snow report
Skiing Pants wrote:

If you haven’t got winter tyres you’ll have to carry chains by law - but as stated in your other thread it’s pretty unlikely you’ll need them driving to Samoens (or Morzine).

Skiing Pants wrote:

As already suggested, you could be in Les Gets pretty quickly from Samoens, but if I were you, and having a day out from Samoens, I’d carry on to Ardent as it’s only another 25 mins or so and parking is free. If you got up early and cracked on you could ski Chatel, Lindarets and Avoriaz in a day - or even do the circuit.
snow conditions
HilbertSpace wrote:

Open all year, well supposed to be. 15-20 years ago I drove a lot of transfers. When there was a lot of snow I would only drive this road at night in a 4x4. More than once I had a choice of left headlight or right headlight. Driving though the semi drifted in slot if you tried to have both you had none. Invariably when reaching Flaine in blizard conditions I would find 2or 3, sometimes 5 GVA taxis trying to get back up the hill to escape. Being 2wd cars with no chains they were fuc(ed until I put a set of track for them to follow.

For the OP, a meaty set of chains an all season tyres and you will be fine. Just follow as others have said and make sure you know how to fit the chains, in the dark with gloves one. As a transfer driver I would fit mine 50 times a winter! (4 times a day when it was snowing)
latest report
Quote:
Fun fact: the road to Flaine goes via the 1,849m Col de la Pierre Carrée, which is the highest pass in the north French Alps open all year
Thanks for the info. It's interesting that the col is a fair bit lower than the non-col roads up to Tignes and Val Thorens
snow conditions
HilbertSpace wrote:

That's interesting. The original plan had been to heat the road by embedding wires in the tarmac to avoid icing. The original contract was for the road not to have a gradient above 7%, so I'm surprised to read it has ramps of 11.8%

I would suggest though that the Col du Lauteret is the highest mountain pass open all year round in the Northern French Alps, plus it is a through road not a dead end.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

I would suggest though that the Col du Lauteret is the highest mountain pass open all year round in the Northern French Alps, plus it is a through road not a dead end.

But it's not in what most people would call the northern alps? To me it't central, maybe the link between north n south?
latest report
Idris wrote:
davidof wrote:

But it's not in what most people would call the northern alps? To me it't central, maybe the link between north n south?

North side is in the Northern Alps, south side is in the Southern Alps.
ski holidays
Quote:

The road up to Samoens is easier than Flaine

Samoens isn't really very "up" at all. And often has no snow on the ground in the village even in winter.
snow conditions
@davidof, so it's not "in" the northern alps, you boring troll Very Happy
snow report
I'd say Idris is right. The Col du L is where you drive up the road in the northern Alps and go down the road in the South. Or, indeed, vice versa.
snow conditions
Btw in case my attempt at humour didn't transpire, @davidof, is definitely not what I'd call a troll or boring, you are in fact in my top 3 most entertaining snowheads. Possibly top 2 if I exclude myself Very Happy.....partially filling the largely humourless void left by Whitegolds disappearance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to stay completely off topic, WePowder reckon that the Northern alps are,

"With the French Northern Alps we mean the mountains in the Haute Savoie, the Savoie, the Isère and the mythical resort of La Grave."

And the Southern, "we mean the mountains in the Hautes Alpes, the Alpes-de-haute-Provence, and the Alpes Maritimes. "

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/251430 - which resonates with what I thought was the definition. Although I have been wrong about it before and no doubt will be again.

So, anyhoo, both sides of the col in question are in the Alpes du Nord.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
Btw in case my attempt at humour didn't transpire

I found it funny, anyway.
latest report
polo wrote:
Btw in case my attempt at humour didn't transpire, @davidof, is definitely not what I'd call a troll or boring, you are in fact in my top 3 most entertaining snowheads. Possibly top 2 if I exclude myself Very Happy.....partially filling the largely humourless void left by Whitegolds disappearance.

Whitegold is working in our chip shop.......well he swears he's Whitegold...... Very Happy
latest report
@ski3, Think you're confusing him with @Whitebait
snow report
Quick on the draw there @Richard_Sideways, Very Happy

Just seems like small fry though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy