Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres/chains now officially required in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Excellent work@pam w, I hope you got your girl guides vehicle rescue badge for that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scouts, as in Baden Powel @pam w, ? Very Happy they were lucky someone with their whits about them came along to assist.

On that note, just how unprepared some go into these scenario is often amusing. Going to the snow you'd think it could trigger more realistic view. I've been stuck on the way up to the Arcs at night with the que having to deploy chains as someone had temporarily blocked the road (no suitable tyres or anything to help) and more than two vehicles with new chains and sheet of instructions being read in blizzard conditions rolling eyes makes me wonder just what they were expecting conditions wise. Offers to help were turned down I might add.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from the main tyre-fitting outfit here in the mountains, Briancon, EuroMaster, which I think is a franchise, Briancon Pneus.

It was quite rammed, as everyone else, like me has seen the forecast and have left it a little too late.

But actually, it wasn't as painful as it can often be in French retail/service outlets.

Didn't have to wait too long, and the guy came out to look at my current set-up.

Over the years I've noticed that the French are not the best of salespeople or able to recognise a good opportunity to upsell, and they can be almost too honest.

So I asked him if I could make do with the All Seasons etc and that generated a lot of Gallic shrugs Laughing

From my basic understanding, taking into account the usual "lost in translation" it was down to the depth of snow on the road and what the All Seasons could cope with vs Winters and the fact that I was a resident and not merely visiting for a short while etc, so Winters were the recommendation, but no pressure as such, that said he didn't clock that my van was a 4-Motion.

He then printed out three tyres and pricing and I opted for the best, though there was surprisingly only €105 in it, and that was the total cost, not per tyre.

On getting back Googled what I've bought and was pleased to say they do get good reviews Very Happy

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Alpin-5.htm

So they're fitting them Thursday, which is hopefully after the snow that is forecast for this week, but as ever snow-line is not guaranteed, and this time of year I've seen it colder further down the valley compared to up here Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy