Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
In VT this week for half term. It’s seriously warm for February - more like Easter ! High altitude areas are holding up ok but the pistes are starting to get very icy with overnight freeze/thaw though I don’t think it went much below freezing last night. In the lower 3V resorts quite a few rocks and brown patches are starting to appear. Oddly there isn’t much use of snow canons - maybe it’s too warm ?

Queues in some places are surprisingly short but others are huge - spent about 40mins queuing to get up Bruyeres in Les Menuires this morning.

Off piste is non existent but plenty of opportunity to brush up on your carving in piste (if you can avoid the ice!)

An enjoyable week so far with wall to wall sunshine but could really do with more snowfall
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
melandnick wrote:
... Oddly there isn’t much use of snow canons - maybe it’s too warm ?...
Perhaps more likely is a combination of lack of water and the high price of electricity.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Noticed this last week too, from what I could tell on the lifts it seems the reservoirs are pretty much empty. I imagine the price goes up exponentially when you go from spraying out what you have up the hill already to pumping it up from elsewhere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over in Meribel in mid-late Jan, the cannons were on a lot, even when there was the dump in the middle of the month. I think it was belt and braces in anticipation of the World Championships, even on pistes that weren't race pistes. The reservoirs were well down by the time we left on 1st Feb.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone have any recommendations for ski hire in Reberty?

Our hotel is recommending Absolu Sports https://absolusports.ski-loc.com/en/ but there are a few other options. Does anyone have any experiences good and bad.

Just hiring skis, no boots
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from a week in VT (12th-19th). Very warm considering the time of year, piste's were holding up well and overall had a great week. My older two boys have caught the skiing bug and loved every minute, as did our 4 year old. ESF were brilliant with them. Our 2 year old wasn't overly happy about being left in nursery all day but we tried to ski as much as possible in the morning and give the boys our time sledging and other activities in the afternoon.

Would go back to VT in a heart beat!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roscoe wrote:
Just back from a week in VT (12th-19th). Very warm considering the time of year, pistes were holding up well and overall had a great week. My older two boys have caught the skiing bug and loved every minute, as did our 4 year old. ESF were brilliant with them.

Would go back to VT in a heart beat!

Was there a week before you and ditto all you say - pistes excellent, our ESF guide brilliant, and special mention to 2x super refuges: Lac du Lou and Trait D'Union. A night or two in each much recommended...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for ski hire in Reberty?

Our hotel is recommending Absolu Sports https://absolusports.ski-loc.com/en/ but there are a few other options. Does anyone have any experiences good and bad.

Just hiring skis, no boots

Used them about 10 times, always excellent.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, very much appreciate the reply!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have been quiet on here as of late for various reasons, but a quick conditions update from this weekend - despite no snow for the last month pistes in Courchevel are holding up pretty well and there is some great skiing to do if yu find the right spots - first thing on Sunday morning Marmottes and Park City (particularly the upper bit that used to be Turcs) were immaculate grippy corduroy!!

Elsewhere some pistes are most definitely thin and narrow and the last few days have felt more like April than February.
Quite happy to be seeing the back of the World Championships after 4 weeks of disruption... and hoping that the snow in the forecast for later this week comes to pass!

All that being said I would have to disagree with
Quote:
Off piste is non existent

there is plenty of nice grippy chalkiness to be had straight off the lifts if you choose the aspect carefully, though definite potential for a long slide so anything steep is most definitely in the 'no fall' zone...

littlemissoffpisteskiing didn't seem to be complaining on Saturday:

and 15 minutes of effort gives access to a series of short pitches of softness:

and a bit more effort gives the same on some more interesting terrain!

It has been very mild the last couple of days though, more like April than February, so hopefully the colder and more unsettled weather forecast from Weds/Thurs onwards comes through as despite some reasonable skiing still to be found we do need a major top-up now to make March )never mind April) viable!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were out last week and the pistes were holding up well - some of the off piste was a bit crusty but still skiable and we even found fresh bits very close to the piste eg cutting between the trees on the way to bouc Blanc. Some decent stuff still atound pyramids too found with very little effort
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing pretty steadily in St Martin for the last half hour and not looking like stopping any time soon. It’s starting to settle in the village.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That’s good to hear @RobMcQ, maybe there’s hope for us at Easter after all Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to hear @RobMcQ, hope it lasts the weekend!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey folks! (I’m a bit of a lurker) So we’re heading to Val Thorens the first week of Easter holidays (week starting April 1st). We’re looking to decide whether to get just VT ski pass or go full 3 valleys. I know snow conditions haven’t been ideal this year in general across the Alps (to put it mildly Wink )

Anyone have any advice at this point, are the 3 valleys connections likely to be open / are conditions likely to be ok in some of the lower areas? Would we be wasting our time/money going for the full pass?

This might be a little early to be asking so apologies if so Smile We’ve been to VT a good few times but never this late and have always gone full 3 valleys.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
Just buy the passes when you are there - too far out to know at the moment
snow report
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Just buy the passes when you are there - too far out to know at the moment

Agreed
snow report
@chillywilly, we usually do a ski trip in April and stayed in Les Menuires 13th to 20th April 2019 and 9th to 16th April 2022.

It's snowing at the moment and there is much more forecast over the next few days with reasonable freeze levels.

The links will be open April 1st and you will be able to ski in and out of Meribel, down to Courch 1650, etc.

The VT pass would shut you off from LM, Masse, Mont Vallon.

Price difference isn't that much unless you are on a really tight budget.

As others said though no reason to buy passes until you get there.
ski holidays
Thanks folks, appreciate the advice!

We’ve booked with the central reservation team in VT and the lift pass prices they’re offering are a good bit cheaper than prices on the main website so that’s why I’m thinking to book ahead. It’s €305 pp versus €360 pp for the week for full 3 valleys, it’s not an insignificant saving given we’ve 10 people going. Similar discount for just VT
snow report
@chillywilly, Look for the family or tribe (tribu) discounts on the 3V pass. The 3V tribe pass is about 340 euros and family around 290.
snow report
Any updates on the conditions at the moment? I'm weighing up booking a trip out to 1650 from 25th March, but wondering whether to hold off and consider my options closer to the time.... Puzzled
latest report
Hi, long time lurker, second post I think. Wife, 2 kids 14 and 11 and I are in Meribel for a week from Saturday 11th March. Was thinking about a couple of private lessons for the kids maybe Monday and Wednesday. Older is a strong intermediate, younger a wee bit weaker but both have had several weeks abroad and days in Scotland most seasons, comfortable on reds/easier blacks in good conditions. Any recommendations for a provider who might have availability please? I realize its pretty late to be looking now. Inghams put us in touch with Oxygene who are offering 2 * 3 hour lessons for Eur 275 each lesson, I was kind of looking for probably a shorter lesson time. Thanks, Dave
snow report
@bblq363, I am on a similar hunt for VT the week before Easter so was looking at https://www.britishalpine.com/private-lessons but can't vouch for any. I would contact Oxygene and see if they can do 2 hour lessons, 3 hours is their standard private duration but when I used them in HT (admittedly in La Plagne not VT), they accommodated 2 hour private lessons.

Also have a look at the Bend ze Knees forum as that has instructor recommendations threads https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5129 and https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=11
snow conditions
Similarly, I’m looking for snowboard lessons for my adult daughter. Preferably private and based in St. Martin
snow conditions
@bblq363, I have some availability for private lessons in Meribel next week. Happy to do 2 hour lessons. Feel free to PM me to discuss.
Regards, Mike.
latest report
@Bassman, I can probably help with private snowboard lessons in St. Martin depending on dates. Feel free to PM me to discuss.
snow conditions
And back to weather... It is snowing heavily in Mottaret. winds have dropped as well... but only 10cm at most from what I can see..
ski holidays
Thanks for the links Snowmadman. Snowrider, I have sent you a PM. Thanks, Dave
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently staying in Meribel - snowline has been roughly at this level today (1400m ish). No real accumulation at this level, but seemed like 5cm+ at Mottaret and 10cm or so above 2000m - all the upper level lifts were closed today though.

Surprised to see such little accumulation at altitude today given that it seemed to be raining all night in Meribel!

Hoping for significantly more snow tonight/tomorrow (above 2000m ish) for a good setup in advance of next week.
ski holidays
Around 20cm (maybe 25cm) settled in Meribel last night, but it's now raining moderately. Can hear lots of blasting going on.
latest report
Pretty awful conditions today - the highest we got was the top of the dent de burgin lift at 2315m, and the snow was wet, heavy and claggy at that altitude. All upper lifts are closed. Snow/rain line maybe 2100m.
ski holidays
P*ssing down in St M today. Such a shame as a fluffy 4 inches or so had fallen yesterday evening until the early hours. Temperatures have been going up and down so much these last few days. Mr P and I decided to venture out this morning and to cut out skiing in rain (and the limited pistes available) by driving up to car park P4 just below VT. However, as we were heading up the bends after the Bruyères side of Menuires just after 10am we hit stationary traffic. It was still raining there and the road was snow free, but the satnav said it was an hour to central VT. I can only assume the combination of wet fresh snow in VT, changeover day and traffic was causing chaos.
We turned round. I decided to head up the bubble from St M, but as it turned out St M express was shut and I think it’s stayed closed all day despite a suggestion it plus the 3V links might open at around 11.30am. The lifties from the St M express lift were offering coffee and hot choc to any hardy souls who had ventured out, but there was no sign of the St M exp chairs coming out of their garage.
So instead it’s been a day to deep clean the house (long overdue) and get round to the little jobs that normally get sacrificed for the sake of skiing.
On the upside, the dog is happy we’re about, and we still have the rugby to watch down at the P bar later.
ski holidays
Pissed down all day in Meribel. Did a 4hr lift pass as that was more than enough. Hardly any lifts open above 2000m. I can honestly say i have never been so wet skiing in my life before.

All the waterproof gear gave up being waterproof after about 3-4hrs out in the deluge.

Hope tomoz is better, fingers x rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thanks to those updating the thread. Coming out the first week of April so keeping a close eye. Wishing you all some good skiing before that! Some hope this week perhaps?
ski holidays
Yes, thanks for the updates. Due out on 19th but might delay if conditions don’t improve.
snow conditions
Coming to Courcheval 1850 on 16th March, hoping its going to be ok. Thanks for the updates
latest report
Courchevel skiing quite nicely today - lower pistes ‘spring-style’ almost-slush on a firm base, above top of Biollay it was colder snow - quite pleasant on & off piste though mucho care currently needed off piste re avalanche conditions.
0 isotherm was going way up this afternoon (with some spontaneous releases to go with) - and tomorrow is due to be warm before the next system moves in Mon pm into Tuesday - supposedly cold and snowy down into the valleys.
All in all, above resort level there is now more than enough snow to go to the end of the season - amazing to see the change in places - Suisses bowl is almost unrecognisable from 10 days ago!
snow report
Hi, just returned from VT yesterday after a great week. Arrived Saturday 4th, very little snow around resort other than on the slopes, first skied on the Sunday with blue skies pistes surprisingly good snow with only a few ice patches, becoming a bit cut up in afternoon. Monday much the same (went to MM and some grass showing) as was Tuesday morning, but Tuesday afternoon clouds were building visibility deteriorated. Wednesday was snowing in VT, went down to LM where is was raining and wet, at the top incredibly windy and cold so stayed around mid VT and was great conditions.

Thursday was a perfect day, fresh snow and lovely blue skies. Out from 1st to last lift to make the most of it.

Friday we didn’t get to ski, snowing heavy in the morning only a few lifts open due to winds etc. started opening more around lunch but by that time we’d started in the beer so never made it out.

Snow continued all night and Saturday morning, we stayed at the top of the resort (Les Balcons) and on Saturday morning the snow was vey deep (half a meter on ground?), ensuring travel chaos in resort!

The police were limiting cars into the resort resulting in our private airport transfer picking us up an hour and 10 mins late. We could see the traffic into resort being long on the way out, however part way down the mountain there was also a land slide / avalanche it caused problems on way down (to allow tractor space to clear) but it did move, but for traffic on way up it was stopped and long traffic behind. We made it to the airport an hour and 20 mins before flight but due to Air Traffic Control strikes no problems in getting out flight which was delayed 4 hours.

For those heading out to VT there was so much snow that had fallen and continuing when we left it was looking like it was going to be great end to the season.
ski holidays
Heading to VT on Tuesday after a quick stop in Val Cenis. Can't wait Toofy Grin
snow report
What a difference a day makes! Having said that, it was still wet in St M overnight, but it looked like snow had fallen down to around 1800m. The upper lifts took their time to open. We headed up to the top of St M express with limited expectations and set off down the sides of Choucas and then Jerusalem. The OP snow was lovely and creamy, but the vis was patchy. Then we did a couple of laps off the Teppes drag and Grand Lac (v nice too!). We debated trying to get over to VT, and set off down Alouette towards Cote Brune. What can I say other than it was mogul carnage! Every man woman and his dog was thinking the same. We bailed on the VT idea and continued down to Plan des Mains and back up to the top via Bouquetins. Lovely piste skiing down Allemands to the Roc 7 for lunch at around 12.30. The sun finally came out properly for the rest of the afternoon. 2 laps of the Granges chair and the OP on the right, then Teppes before heading home. The OP snow was just starting to get heavy below the Granges chair, and it’s fair to say the last leg into St M was a total mush fest. Note to self- there’s no shame in a download. All in all it was a great day, even if the fresh snow didn’t quite stretch to the bottom.
It’s set to get v warm tomorrow. I might drive up to VT for the morning at least. Mr P says he’s not going to ski at all, so I’ll be on my own if anyone wants to hang out with a moderately adventurous fat ski owning middle aged ski nut!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy