Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
It's probably about time to kick off a thread for this winter... First autumn dustings over the last couple of weeks, and one of two very (VERY) keen folks have been out touring above Val T apparently...

Big news dropping in the last day or two is that the Saulire cable car will be out of action still this winter (mind you if 'energy' is restricted this may have been a moot point anyway).
Add to that the loss of resident's-price lift passes, plus major disruption for Courchevel & Meribel thanks to the World Champs (Chaudanne car park shut from now through til April), major restrictions on Le Praz parking from mid-Jan through til early March, and my cup is most definitely half-empty at the moment with regards to the coming winter...!!

Anyway, on that cheery note, welcome to the 22/23 3V thread!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:
Saulire cable car will be out of action still this winter

Bummer Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone booked a trip to the 3Vs yet? We haven't booked yet but are planning to be in Val T in mid November to try our new touring kit for the first time - for 2 or 3 days before the season starts (hopefully on freshly groomed, but yet to open, pistes wink ).

We are switching from ancient Diamir Fritschi bindings to pin bindings and lightweight skis. We can't wait to try them! It may well feel like touring up in trainers (weight wise, at least) Very Happy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
Saulire cable car will be out of action still this winter

Bummer Sad

I second that. They must be using the Cairngorm funicular repair team... rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:
Anyone booked a trip to the 3Vs yet? We haven't booked yet but are planning to be in Val T in mid November to try our new touring kit for the first time - for 2 or 3 days before the season starts (hopefully on freshly groomed, but yet to open, pistes wink ).

We are switching from ancient Diamir Fritschi bindings to pin bindings and lightweight skis. We can't wait to try them! It may well feel like touring up in trainers (weight wise, at least) Very Happy.

I’m going to Val Thorens 25-30th November - cannot wait.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've out for a few days from 7th Dec and then Boxing day. Nervously awaiting the season pass prices. I'm sure they were posted a few weeks ago, but now vanished. They were €1400 with no discount for two as I recall...I can only assume that they are going to be even more thanks of course, to both Mr Putin and the Folie a Deux aka Truss and Kwarteng...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
F
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Debbie0312 wrote:
F

???

(If you're trying to follow the thread, you can do so without posting - just press the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom of the page.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
offpisteskiing wrote:
It's probably about time to kick off a thread for this winter... First autumn dustings over the last couple of weeks, and one of two very (VERY) keen folks have been out touring above Val T apparently...

Big news dropping in the last day or two is that the Saulire cable car will be out of action still this winter (mind you if 'energy' is restricted this may have been a moot point anyway).
Add to that the loss of resident's-price lift passes, plus major disruption for Courchevel & Meribel thanks to the World Champs (Chaudanne car park shut from now through til April), major restrictions on Le Praz parking from mid-Jan through til early March, and my cup is most definitely half-empty at the moment with regards to the coming winter...!!

Anyway, on that cheery note, welcome to the 22/23 3V thread!!!

Is this the Saulire cable car from Meribel side (Saulire Express?) or Vizelle?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think he meant from Vielle.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Perty, there is a small discount on season passes if two bought together - the so-called Duo option.

Have you seen any of the comments on Facebook groups about the proposed abolition of discounted passes for resident locals? Understandably they are very unhappy at present.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ryunis wrote:

Is this the Saulire cable car from Meribel side (Saulire Express?) or Vizelle?

The Courchevel side cable car. Telecabine access to the Saulire still possible from Meribel (Saulire Express 2) or via Vizelle and then a short walk... Still at least it stops the couloirs getting tracked out quite as quickly as if the cable car is running!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy1234, I know that...but when Mr P looked before the prices for season passes before they were removed from the website, he noted the Duo option wasn't on the list (and I've just checked...it still isn't). There is a provisional price now online of €1191 per person for a season pass but this is expressed as for a family of 4-2 adults and 2 children. I can only assume that the "adult only" price will be more.
This is what they say;

"Prices are not definitive, are given as an indication and may be modified according to the evolution of the cost of energy which has a strong impact on the economic balance of the ski area.

The online purchase will be available in November - thank you for your understanding".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:
F

???

(If you're trying to follow the thread, you can do so without posting - just press the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom of the page.)

Didn’t intend to offend, normal practice in my workplace for interesting posts.

You have educated me, would possibly appreciated a less direct approach
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Perty,

Yes, I cannot find any reference to the Duo option now. On https://www.skipass-lesmenuires.com/en/forfaits-saison prices for the full 3V season pass are shown as 1489 euros for adults 30 to64 years old and a little cheaper at 1340 euros for 65 to 74 years old.
latest report
Booked for last week of January. Staying in Reberty. Can't wait.

Last time we went to the 3V, we were in La Tania so barely touched the LM/VT side.
snow report
Anybody know when the shuttle Les Menuires to VT starts, we are arriving 6th December and were hoping to stay in LesMenuires if we can get up to VT by bus?
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
Anybody know when the shuttle Les Menuires to VT starts, we are arriving 6th December and were hoping to stay in LesMenuires if we can get up to VT by bus?

What "shuttle"? Do you mean the free bus?

And do you wish to travel to VT after skiing? Or travel to VT by bus during the day? Puzzled
snow report
We are arriving 6 Dec, and I was wondering if the free buses between Les Menuires and VT will be running by then. The website hasn't got the dates for starting as yet. Don't want stranded in Les Menuires, won't have a car. Not all the resort lifts open until the following weekend. So, I want to know if we can access VT skiing by bus from Les Menuires. I know the resort well ,I just don't know the date when the free buses start in Dec
snow report
No. AFAIK, skis are not allowed on the LM/VT bus route, only the around resort shuttle. The LM/VT bus is pedestrian only.
snow conditions
Thanks for the reply, will look for accommodation in VT now.
ski holidays
Does anyone know of anybody who might be renting an apartment/studio for the season in les Menuires? Not easy finding seasonnaire accommodation, any help would be great appreciated!! Very Happy
latest report
A small amount of snow has arrived overnight in the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
russ_e wrote:

Currently snowing now in Val Thorens this afternoon
ski holidays
VT are celebrating their 50th anniversary this season and the resort have released a document detailing some of the history of the resort which is a great read - I'm sure a documentary of sorts will follow

Interactive document here:
https://www.calameo.com/read/0057989614363cdcea092

PDF version here:
https://www.valthorens.com/uploads/portfolio/title_desc_media_translation_description-fr/e%CC%81dition%2050%20EN%20page%20a%CC%80%20page.pdf

If your French is up for it:
https://www.valthorens.com/uploads/portfolio/title_desc_media_translation_description-fr/e%CC%81dition%2050%20ans%20final%20page%20a%CC%80%20page.pdf

http://youtube.com/v/J9JE3WT7nbA
ski holidays
cmacm123 wrote:
russ_e wrote:

Currently snowing now in Val Thorens this afternoon

Now cannons are blasting away, they clearly don't expect the snow to go anywhere
snow report
I am new to skiing - only my third ever trip planned 25/11 to 30/11 to Val Thorens. It’s a week after the opening and I am always an optimist but I’m starting to worry a bit. I get the whole snow sure thing (via snow making) and even just a few runs being open would be good for me but I’m starting to get a little worried… need I not?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 5-11-22 18:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Moorzee10 wrote:
I am new to skiing - only my third ever trip planned 25/11 to 30/11 to Val Thorens. It’s a week after the opening and I always an optimist but I’m starting to worry a bit. I get the whole snow sure thing (via snow making) and even just a few runs being open would be good for me but I’m starting to get a little worried… need I not?

No need to worry. There will be something to ski on. They have already fired up the snow cannons today and I am sure they will keep them blasting away as long as it is cold enough.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ManiaMuse wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:
I am new to skiing - only my third ever trip planned 25/11 to 30/11 to Val Thorens. It’s a week after the opening and I always an optimist but I’m starting to worry a bit. I get the whole snow sure thing (via snow making) and even just a few runs being open would be good for me but I’m starting to get a little worried… need I not?

No need to worry. There will be something to ski on. They have already fired up the snow cannons today and I am sure they will keep them blasting away as long as it is cold enough.

That’s reassuring - thank you! It’s only a quick trip to do some lessons and spend some time away from the office!
snow report
Is the Col Chairlift & run in VT closed for good? On the new season piste maps it's not marked at all, and surely if it was planned to reopen in the future it would be marked like the Saulire cable car with the dashed line? Last season the lift was closed but the red piste was open as a freeride run, but they seem to have closed it completely now, if the piste map is accurate.
snow report
From some recent photos I have seen it has been completely removed. Sorry I don’t know if they ever intend to replace it.
latest report
Yes, gone for good I think, presumably due to the glacier receding. They re-routed the run a few years ago, I guess it's no longer feasible at all Sad

Photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/skifan/52403690122/in/photostream/
ski holidays
@zaphod424, this is a year old but at that point they were indicating that they may replace it. No idea if that's the case, but if it is, it looks like it won't be in place this season.

Quote:

The Col ski run will be reserved for ski touring

SETAM, the Val Thorens ski lift company, will not be able to operate the COL chairlift during the winter of 2021/2022.
To compensate for this, and to allow the courageous to admire the view from the top, the Col piste will be secured and groomed by the Vallée des Belleville ski slope service for ski touring.
The COL chairlift, put into service in 1994, is the last fixed grip lift in Val Thorens. A project to replace this lift is currently being studied by SETAM, in consultation with the various government departments and the Vanoise National Park.
snow report
Not sure if this has already been posted anywhere, but I always find this an interesting read. Looks like it's still under construction at the moment

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2023-the-definitive-guide/
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
@zaphod424, this is a year old but at that point they were indicating that they may replace it. No idea if that's the case, but if it is, it looks like it won't be in place this season.
Quote:

A project to replace this lift is currently being studied by SETAM, in consultation with the various government departments and the Vanoise National Park.

Well it was a doggy old chair but you can't help thinking that if they were intending to replace it they would have kept the platforms and maybe the pylons, which have all been removed. They pulled the glacier chair out on the Peclet glacier (and that was the last of what was once 4 lifts up there) because of climate change/environmental pressures, I'd be surprised if they're not under pressure to leave the Thorens glacier alone as well. Certainly cuts out access to a large area of off piste though, and the "back" entrance to the Lory valley (if that's what it's called).
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Not sure if this has already been posted anywhere, but I always find this an interesting read. Looks like it's still under construction at the moment

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2023-the-definitive-guide/

Thanks - I look forward to reading that each year.
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Quote:

A project to replace this lift is currently being studied by SETAM, in consultation with the various government departments and the Vanoise National Park.

Well it was a doggy old chair but you can't help thinking that if they were intending to replace it they would have kept the platforms and maybe the pylons, which have all been removed. They pulled the glacier chair out on the Peclet glacier (and that was the last of what was once 4 lifts up there) because of climate change/environmental pressures, I'd be surprised if they're not under pressure to leave the Thorens glacier alone as well. Certainly cuts out access to a large area of off piste though, and the "back" entrance to the Lory valley (if that's what it's called).

That's a bummer, loved the run all the way from the top back into VT a real long cruise.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
Yes, gone for good I think, presumably due to the glacier receding. They re-routed the run a few years ago, I guess it's no longer feasible at all Sad

Some fantastic photos there
ski holidays
Quote:

Raceplate wrote:
Yes, gone for good I think, presumably due to the glacier receding. They re-routed the run a few years ago, I guess it's no longer feasible at all

Great winter and summer pics Cool
ski holidays
@Raceplate, Lovely pics.
Weather report for today-after a cloudy start, it's been tipping it down for about the last hour and the outside temp is about 8 deg at 1450m.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy