Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2022/23 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Val Desire wrote:
Afternoon. In Maribel for a week. Any recommendations for reasonable mountain/font de neige lunch stops anywhere in 3V that offer something decent at a good value? We were rather spoiled by Marmottes and Cascade in Val D offering plats de jour at €12 and 50cl red for €6 Toofy Grin

Courchevel:
Bou Blanc

La Tania:
Bistro Machet
Pub Le Ski Lodge

Meribel:
Lodge du Village

Motteret:
Le Rastro

Les Menuires:
Le Hillary Hotel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, can anyone confirm rough accumulations today?…. Is it snowing at the mo?… webcams not showing much to be honest. Going to VT next weekend for a week, can’t wait! Eh oh!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gnipgnop wrote:
Hi, can anyone confirm rough accumulations today?…. Is it snowing at the mo?… webcams not showing much to be honest. Going to VT next weekend for a week, can’t wait! Eh oh!

Was snowing in VT on and off today. Enough to freshen up the pistes though some main pistes had stones showing through in places. Heaviest snow was in the morning, it stopped for a bit around lunchtime (the sun even came out briefly) then a bit more light to moderate snow later in the afternoon before stopping again. It has literally just started snowing fairly heavily and already building up about 1cm in 10 minutes. Likely to continue overnight and into tomorrow.

Avalanche risk gone from 2 at start of today to 3 and will probably be 4 by Tuesday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know anything about the new Hotel Higalik on Bettex run in Les Menuires. This is it's first season and it's supposed to be 4* but initial reviews aren't great on Trip Advisor. Booked a surprise trip for me and my wife in March and thought I was going more up market that usual. But at the moment it seems it is just the price that is more up market!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bouc Blanc, had lunch there today, you probably need to book.
Excellent plat du jour at around €23, tartiflette at around €25, great service, huge portions!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ManiaMuse,
Thankyou!… I’ll be asking the same question this time tomo eve Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Accumulations? Still raining in Meribel Eh oh! ️ Thanks for recommendations, we’re Bouc B fans and may be there tomorrow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hope the snow is still falling in VT! Any boots on the ground with a live report?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’re in La Tania, some snow overnight and more this afternoon, not an expert but say 10-20cm.
Has improved the pistes in particular the lower slopes for the ski home.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing all day in courchevel. Staying in La Tania and Folyeres at end of the day was good.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a couple of inches at resort level (here in St M 1450m) yesterday morning, it then rained last night till around 3am, before turning back to snow down to around 1200m. There were a couple of inches here by this morning, and with better than expected visibility Mr P and I ventured out. Blasted around above St M, plus down to the Olympic chair on the Meribel side. I’d say there was a good 6-10 inches up high. People were venturing off piste, but the cover still needs to build as much of the fresh stuff has fallen on bare ground on the south and west facing slopes and most ground under around 2200m. We had a nice play off the side and above the Grand Lac piste. This afternoon the weather closed in again, with a rapid dump of another 3 at resort level. It’s tailed off a bit now, but more due overnight. Tomorrow morning should be epic once the lifts open, but i fear some people may go a bit mad and suffer the consequences…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like the forecasts were spot on then. And more expected as the week goes on!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied from Orelle today with guide. Liaisons to VT shut but tons of snow and we skied off piste all day without hitting rocks (couldn't see mind!) Arctic cold with strong wind but still snowing and blowing like mad and even settling where we are at Termignon snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Turned into a proper blizzard this afternoon. Came back with all my gear covered in ice. Was off-pisting with a group today (mostly side/between pistes/on pistes that were technically closed). Flat light so quite tricky to see the bumps. Decent snow although had to be careful still in places for rocks just under the surface. Definitely hit one or two though haven't looked at the bases yet.

Notices that lift openings might be delayed in VT tomorrow to secure the pistes. Still snowing moderately at the moment and forecast to continue overnight.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Val Desire a few more suggestions:

Le Sitor on the Boulevard Cumin, just before reaching Les Menuires. Great terrace. Plat du jours €15. http://www.lesetor.com/
La Loy off the Biolley piste, en route to St Martin below top off St Martin 1. Plat du jours used to be €15 but not sure that they are doing one this year. https://www.facebook.com/laloy.menuires
Cafe del Mott in basement of Hotel Motteret, near top of nursery piste in Mottaret. Plat du jour or hamburger and drink €15 if you quote 'Meribel Unplugged'. Used to be quite good. Haven't been this year. http://www.hotellemottaret.com/en/restaurant
Chez Bif next to supermarket in Mottaret centre. Good takeaway hamburgers €12. https://www.facebook.com/mountainburgers/
Folie Douce Meribel 'La Petite Cuisine' is surprisingly good value and cabaret (1pm and 2.30 pm) is very good https://www.lafoliedouce.com/images/Destinations/meribel/restaurants/pdf/menu-petite-cuisine-2021-2022-vf.pdf
snow conditions
Lush out there today. Cold and dry with probably 35-40cm on the car this am and a slightly delayed opening but cleared with a full bluebird pow day and plenty of chopped up deep snow to be had on piste. Yummm
latest report
Apologies if this should have been in the resort review area instead! A group of six of us are staying in the Neige et Ciel from Saturday. Half of us are ok skiing blues, reds and the odd black, but the others would run a mile in the other direction of a black piste! Glad to see some fresh snow making the images on the webcams much whiter this week!

Trying to work out from piste maps/images on streetview what is the easiest route back to the hotel. It’s described by Crystal as ski in/out but the path leading down from the hotel to the main bowl will be uphill if trying to come back!
From some of the streetview images it looks like there is maybe a small path the comes down from just below the Brelin complex which now that’s it’s snowed might be a route down to our hotel. I guess we would have to go down the Violette to get just below Brelin . However, there is also a small lift that goes along the ground up to the Brelin so don’t see how you could ski over that Eh oh!
Failing that we could ski further down through the village and jump in the Preyerand bubble to get back near the hotel

Or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance
snow report
Hi experts!

I will be stayinga week in Meribel-Mottaret from the 21st of Jan in the same building as Intersport Plein Soleil, so my first choice will be them. Does anyone have experience renting from them?

In Les Arcs a few years ago I got the same price at the store as the "book in advance over the web" price, which meant that the web discount was kinda fake. Is that usually the case in Meribel-Mottaret as well? (I generally prefer to not book anything in advance due to previous experiences)
snow report
Hi Three Valleys regulars. It looks like I have the opportunity for a day out to the Three Valleys on Sunday. I will be in Moutiers early and will get breakfast there. I would then need to catch a taxi from Moutiers to Brides-Le-Bains for the gondola.
Where to go from there? Left to Courchevel side? Or right to Val Thorens side? Forecast suggests some precipitation. I’ll be cruising about alone. (Unless someone is looking for a ski partner for the day of course).
Thanks in advance.
snow report
@sbooker, no point planning too far ahead as forecast will evolve between now and then, but if it is cloudy then La Tania & Courchevel side will give you lots of options at/below tree line…
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, thanks.
ski holidays
@sbooker, you should go left on the Saulire Express to C1850. The best snow in the whole of the 3Vs is frequently at the top of Courch first thing in the morning. Ski Creux before it gets cut up and crowded, then Saulire and Suisses, maybe M (definitely M if it's pisted but it doesn't happen very often. Alternatively, definitely M if you like big bumps). Go up Chanrossa and back on Jean Pachod. After that, you can choose. It's only two lifts to VT from the top of C1850 but I don't think I'd bother if I had only one day. Better to take Plattieres and go to Mont Vallon, do both runs and then come back to Mottaret.

Go up Pas du Lac and all the way through Meribel down to Village from the top of C1850 then back up the Altiport and across to La Tania to ski Folyeres, Bouc Blanc and the Eclipse (mens' downhill, if it's open). Murettes through the trees to Le Praz is a lovely run that many people miss.

At some point, cut across to Meribel centre off Dou de Lanches and up the west side (right side on the map, it's upside down) to ski Face (if it's open) and Roc de Fer (the ladies' downhill), maybe Jerusalem and Pramint to St M. Circuits round the Tougnette 2, Cherferie and St M Express chairs give plenty of fun and varied skiing. Fit Ecureil in off T2. If you're on that side at the end of the day, it's much easier to get back to the Brides gondola to go home. Aim to make Gelinotte your last run so you don't have to mess around punting across the Chaudanne. Looks closed at the moment but if the Raffort run is open, that's a pretty route through the trees that takes you straight to the mid-station. Don't go to Les Allues, you'll have to walk.

Check the 3V app to make sure all these runs are open, I'm not sure what the state of play is for public access to the race pistes (particularly the Eclipse) prior to the world cup and Face and Raffort look closed at the moment too, presumably for snow cover. From looking this morning, the rest are all open.
snow report
Some great suggestions from @Raceplate, there. Mont Vallon is a must.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Hi Three Valleys regulars. It looks like I have the opportunity for a day out to the Three Valleys on Sunday. I will be in Moutiers early and will get breakfast there. I would then need to catch a taxi from Moutiers to Brides-Le-Bains for the gondola.
Where to go from there? Left to Courchevel side? Or right to Val Thorens side? Forecast suggests some precipitation. I’ll be cruising about alone. (Unless someone is looking for a ski partner for the day of course).
Thanks in advance.

Only one answer to this question: why not both?

The Escapade

nb: I've attempted this three times (at half term) with Lad 2 without success* Embarassed 2023 is my year (with modifications to reflect continued closure of the Saulire gondola in 1850 and the various closures for the FIS world championships). snowHead

* Attempt 1 (2018): Lad 2 was probably not quite old enough and was flagging on the return leg (La Tania -> Méribel -> Les M -> Val T/Orelle -> Mt Vallon, where he tuckered out and we bailed before hitting courchevel), still managed 70 km downhill
* Attempt 2 (2020): After a great start (after 25 km in <1 hour), I stacked it on a bumps shortcut in 1850 and tore my calf (still skied back home to Meribel, but shows I've learned nothing). Lad 2 was so angry at me he threw his skis when we got back to the chalet and spent the rest of the day in his room.
* Attempt 3 (2022): Horrible conditions: icy AF plus no vis; didn't want to risk Lac de Lou and some key lifts in Val T closed, still managed 85 km
latest report
Dyrlac wrote:
Only one answer to this question: why not both?

The Escapade

nb: I've attempted this three times (at half term) with Lad 2 without success*

Laughing I'm on that list twice...

I know it's only tongue in cheek but I wouldn't be doing it on a one-off trip, you really need to know where you're going and it's a grind, not a pleasure! (It's also near impossible early season due to lack of snow cover and shorter lift openings times, March is easiest wink )
snow conditions
@Raceplate, wow. Thanks. Above and beyond.
snow report
@sbooker all the above recommendations are excellent, but one I would add if you stay in the Couchevel valley is Chapelets, over in Courchevel Moriond, as far as you can go on the piste map. It’s a red run but we love it because it’s rarely busy and has some stunning scenery.
snow conditions
Agree re Moriond. And one-off visitors should be advised to avoid the left hand side of the Méribel Valley (looking at the piste map) in the afternoon as it is prone to iciness coming back down into Méribel Centre (for the olympic gondola).

Speaking of, I just arrived in the 3Vs for a long weekend. Started to see some thin ground cover snow at about 800m, which was rather better than I expected. Will report when I get out onto the slopes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Debbie0312 wrote:
@sbooker all the above recommendations are excellent, but one I would add if you stay in the Couchevel valley is Chapelets, over in Courchevel Moriond, as far as you can go on the piste map. It’s a red run but we love it because it’s rarely busy and has some stunning scenery.

Agreed. The 3 reds on the Chapelets ridge are superb and more often than not have fantastic snow.
ski holidays
Here is a short video showing the snow conditions 13 Jan 23 in Courchevel Roc Mugnier piste.... Snow was light and all pistes in great shape. Only found a few pebbles on one or two narrow traverses.

All Mountain Intro 2023.mp4 from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/insideoutskiing/allmoutainintro23
ski holidays
Need 3V lift passes for 4 days from 29/01, starting from La Tania.

3V website quotes 288eur. Is this any cheaper than the walk up price and/ or are there any discount codes available? I suspect not, this being the 3V but worth asking!

Going to go for the Courchevel Mini Pass that I read about on latania.co.uk for 34eur on the Saturday, assuming we get there in time to ski. Fingers crossed!

Does anyone know if we can take random (PdS) old passes to be reloaded? I'm sure in Morzine last year the lady at the desk said they could upload onto any old pass there...

Cheers, all!
snow report
3V has a Tribu pass if there are 3 or more of you, which gives a little discount, but is only 6 days or longer.
Other than that, the Saturday is cheaper for one day.
latest report
Off tomorrow, thank you for all the recommendations, Bouc Blanc remains our favourite. We made three trips to Les Allues for dinner, really liked En'K and would have returned tonight were it not for an unscheduled meeting with the remarkable Dr Schamasch. I didn't expect to enter a French quack's consulting room and find a large picture of our late Queen.

Anyway, we live to fight another day and best wishes for the season, I'll be back in Val T for the EoSB snowHead
ski holidays
Val Desire wrote:
Off tomorrow, thank you for all the recommendations, Bouc Blanc remains our favourite. We made three trips to Les Allues for dinner, really liked En'K and would have returned tonight were it not for an unscheduled meeting with the remarkable Dr Schamasch. I didn't expect to enter a French quack's consulting room and find a large picture of our late Queen.

Anyway, we live to fight another day and best wishes for the season, I'll be back in Val T for the EoSB snowHead

Surely Dr Smash has retired?
Interesting facts about him: He was official sex tester at the 1992 Winter Olympics and the reason for the late Queen's picture is he was the regional British consol.
ski holidays
According to their app the mont vallon lift is closed. Anyone know why? I hope it'll open by the 22nd.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 15-01-23 14:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
How’s that snow that’s falling looking?
Just checked out the Les Men webcams and it’s looking a bit sleety….

Heading out on the 27th…can’t wait.
snow report
Hi again....out in Les Menuires now and it's snowing!

Can anyone tell me if there's a route back to Les Menuires from the Caron area on blues that doesn't involve Bd Cumin?

Thanks
snow report
Cairn, Plein Sud, 3 Vallees lifts over the top, Mont de la Chambre blue home. First on the left as you come out of 3 Vallees cabin lift.
ski holidays
Taking_the_piste wrote:
According to their app the mont vallon lift is closed. Anyone know why? I hope it'll open by the 22nd.
High wind. Most of the upper lifts were closed in the Meribel valley this morning.
ski holidays
Couldn’t see anything this afternoon and was worried I’d be stuck in St Martin after lunch. But the unbelievably good snow felt great in Méribel as I skied using the Force from 14h30 - 16h45. C. 10cm laid on top of everything. Actual whooping was committed. snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 15-01-23 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy