Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@zzz, you rebel, you. Life on the edge! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WindOfChange wrote:
@BobinCH, Hopefully going over to Le Chable on Sunday AM.

@windofchange, I am aiming to go to La Chable on Sat 3 December if snow is reasonable and you are welcome to join if you fancy a day trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Igloo nightclub reopened last night, there really should be a max age limit to stop people wandering in. But town is unbelievably quiet at the moment, 2 restaurants, one bar and a nightclub.

Don’t know if this has been posted elsewhere but LG up 11%, Morzine 9%, despite the endless amount of new construction everywhere.

https://www.knightfrank.com/research/report-library/ski-property-report-2023-9528.aspx?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~cmp~Knight+Frank+-+International~ag~Brand+-+Knight+Frank+-+International+-+Ski+Report~ar~635262227978~kw~knight%20frank%20ski%20report~mt~e&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand-international_resi_conversion_uk_national&utm_term=knight%20frank%20ski%20report&gclid=CjwKCAiAmuKbBhA2EiwAxQnt75ltp8zFnBs5NwnDGDXT7tYhjsvd6kaQrHLoTc_2M8rA2JRkBM3eGBoCcogQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name,

That’s a shame Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, no - actually the opposite - as while I am temporarily a little limited, I should be, by, say, mid-season, be on better form than before (not that that's saying a lot Twisted Evil ) /commas
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow to the valley last night

Should be another 10-15cm tonight to 1200m, then 5-10cm wednesday evening to 1500m. Friday still looks too warm with another 5-10cm possible but 1800-2000m snowline currently forecast.
Sunny and milder on the weekend before cooling down again into month end
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Polo, really appreciate your local reports. We've got everything crossed here that there is snow for 17 Dec at Les Gets when we arrive for a week (obviously don't mind snow while we're there either!).

At least we're seeing snow now, and there are some encouraging forecasts and cooler temps (albeit a bit up and down).

Even if the snow is mainly from Chavannes level upwards, with cannons working and some sensible 'snow management' there ought to be enough for my party of kids and beginners to have some fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo, as above cheering reports, thank you
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a funny season so far.....I might be wrong, but there seem to be more forecast upgrades than downgrades....friday looking not as bad now, and after a milder weekend, it gets quite cold again next week. Still haven't seen cannons running, but would be surprised if they aren't turned on soon.

There are some serious weather model gymnastics evolving into early December, so anything could happen.....but I think most areas have already done well despite a potentially poor oct-nov weather pattern. So let's see what happens when the pattern changes. Planning to get closer look up at 1800m in the morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look forward to seeing what you find @polo, out Friday and hoping to get a few metres of sliding up and skiing down if there’s any to be had.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decent snowfall overnight @ 1250m.
Got woken by the plough for the first time this season Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone got a link for a website with weather ensembles for PdS? Can’t seem to find the ones I used to look at!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is this any good?

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=43270&model=gfs&var=201&run=12&lid=ENS&bw=1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Randyp909, perfect!! Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not as much snow as I was hoping for, but some nice autumnal scenery on the road up.

Pont de Gys

Over Morzine / Montriond

And then 20-25cm by the time you get to about 1700m (Lhottys Cafe)

Couldn't find my skins, poles, or bag rolling eyes ......so carried up the splitboard. Very shoddy prep as it hasn't been waxed for 2 seasons, so a bit of a struggle without skins, wax, fitness and talent.
Still nice to be up there, snow is pretty light.....some more due tomorrow and friday, to about 1500m so should be fine for the weekend.
Out of the blue next mon-tues is looking good, and then temps head below zero all next week potentially.

Lot's of piste prep ( barriers) and lift testing going on....but no cannons or bashing yet
snow report
Put a little vid together of this morning, no fancy editing or powder slashes.....just gentle scenery / choon, and a couple of mellow slides, under Nauchet first then Chavannes at the end....really need to wax.

http://youtube.com/v/2I96JurwfvU
snow conditions
Really cool @polo, thanks. You drive up to Chavannes and skin up from there? Think we’ll give that a bash over the weekend - keep an eye out for two chubby incompetents trying to remember what to do.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, yeah plenty of parking at 1500m. I went up Chavannes, continued to Nauchet, down that, then cut back up an access track to quickly get back to top of Chavannes piste and then down to the car. If you just do Chavannes, then start the descent up where the drag lifts pass, and stay as far (skiers) right as possible for the steepest pitch, as it's all blue there, with flatish dip in the middle, which is worse down skiers left. I probably won't be around Sat....hope you have decent snow....and come more prepared than me.
snow report
Webcams show snow cannons on up at Lindarets this morning. Increasingly hopeful we’ll have a decent pre-xmas trip over opening weekend. Possibly not as epic as last year (though there’s still time before 10/12).
ski holidays
What are conditions usually like during the last week of feb / first week of March?
latest report
@Wilip, usually OK but busy
snow report
Question about lift passes: if I buy a Portes du Soleil lift pass through the Morzine website, can I start on day 1 at

1. Ardent (Avoriaz / Montriond)
2. Perrieres (Les Gets)
3. St Jean d'Aulps

Hopefully all of the above, as I'm not sure where I'll be starting from yet. I know French PdS passes can't be activated in Switzerland and vice versa, but wasn't sure if the system was even stricter than that.
snow conditions
Yes you can start anywhere in France. 5-15 day passes bought in France cannot be used for first time in CH. There is another recent thread about this somewhere on snowheads.
snow report
For any January skiers - a black friday deal available tomorrow https://pass.lesgets.com/en/black-friday
snow report
Les Crosets opening a lift this weekend.
snow report
I was finally able to purchase the Black Friday 6 day pass for the price of 3, but the website (created exclusively for this sale) was full of bugs and it took about 20 attempts. Sometimes it would say "code required", other times "already sold out", also "website temporarily offline". There were also problems with creating the mandatory online account and with the payment process. Finally, only the French website worked, while the English and German ones never seemed to work at all. I believe it's now sold out but that could just be another error, so who knows? (Edit: confirmed as sold out on their Facebook page)

There is a BOGOF on single day passes which appears to still be available from all the individual resort websites.

I also tried Morzine's separate offer of 2 undated, local area 1-day passes at 50% off. After waiting in a virtual queue, I managed to select the products but then ran into similar website problems and couldn't progress to the payment page. This offer has now been terminated according to their website.

Backup option which worked - Avoriaz has dynamic pricing for 1-day passes on their local area (up to 60% off) throughout the season. I finally managed to book two pairs of these at 50% and 55% off respectively. The payment page kept crashing on my laptop but managed to get it to work on my phone.

This all took well over 2 hours and I was one of the lucky ones. I think the offer was too heavily advertised in advance but that doesn't excuse all of the issues.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 25-11-22 11:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Yep. I missed out. The frustration (other than the horrific website) was that in advance there was plenty of info saying the offer was valid today only, but none saying there were only 1,000 passes that I saw. Had I known that I’d have been quicker off the mark!
snow report
I purchased ours through the Less Gets website and it all worked seamlessly.

I was convinced that they had imposed restrictions on the 1-day pass offer limiting this to 1 transaction per account or email address.

10 minutes later I'd bagged 3 x 1-day pass offers for 4 people (I had to pay for 2 x 4 additional cards) - a total saving of circa €200 for a 3 day weekend.

Nice.

PS - I think the Les Gets offers is still "live".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franga, well done - was that for the 1 day Portes du Soleil passes or the 1 day local area passes?
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@franga, well done - was that for the 1 day Portes du Soleil passes or the 1 day local area passes?

The PdS pass (but the site gives you the choice). Heres the link ...

https://pass.lesgets.com/en/offre/black-friday-1
ski holidays
I went on a quick tour from Avoriaz today. Headed up the Arare and then down to and up the Fornet bowl. They have put a piste basher track up the Arare, Fornet and Chavanette pistes making the descent stone and rock free. It is possible to ski off the sides but there’s not a lot of depth in places and the snow arrived with a lot of wind so it’s pretty blown. It was snowing above 1600m when I finished. Not bad at all. I’ve skied a lot worse snow at Xmas.
snow report
@zzz, it was snowing? How funny, clear blue skies over here ...
latest report
Nice sunny day in LG this afternoon - not the best snow by far obviously but there was still enough to enjoy the downhill. Once I remembered to tighten up the boots, that is. Happy I got the skins out - and the kids enjoyed sledging.

The season has officially started!
ski holidays
We were up there too @patrick!, a very slow slog up to the top of Nauchets and an enjoyable but crusty ski back down.
snow report
@zzz, do you park in the main car park in Avoriaz and walk across to the top of the gondola to skin up Arare? Might wander up there today.
snow report
No. I drive through Avoriaz down to the prodains lift station
snow report
zzz wrote:
No. I drive through Avoriaz down to the prodains lift station

Which we discovered after walking/skiing down there! Bit of a flog back up afterwards- pleasant morning out though.
snow conditions
Hi, does anyone know any ski hire shops open in Morzine or Prodains/ Ardent areas on Fri 16th December?

A group of us are arriving to Les Gets on 16th for a long ski weekend and plan to ski Avoriaz on 16th. Annoyingly it seems none of the hire shops in LG/Morzine are open on 16th in advance of the whole area opening in 17th.

I'd rather sort one hire booking from LG rather than seperate hires.

Thanks!
ski holidays
@dh900, Vermont in the old town (near Church) is open year round. Highly recommended, we've used them summer and winter for years, top service.

https://vermont-ski.fr/en/ski-rental/
snow conditions
@dh900,
I’ve arranged rentals with Alpine Sports for opening weekend (10th Dec)
https://alpine-sports.eu/

Sport 2000 at Prodains has a chance to be open.
https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/stores/1175-sport-2000-prodains-sports

Other options are Avoriaz Sports (skimum) at the top of Prodains cable car (next to La Taniere & La Poya restaurant)
Or lac et Montagne at Ardent (another skimum hire shop).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy